Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me make a decision!

• 15-06-2012 2:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

Right, wasn't sure if I should post this here since sometimes the forum appears it is only for professional soccer,but there does not appear to be any rule dismissing any football related question.

So here it goes. I manage a U17 soccer team,compete in the DDSL. We won our league there recently and I am having an awards night soon enough for them,medals given out etc.

I also have 3 separate awards to give out, Top goal scorer, player's player of the year and manager's player of the year. I know who my top scorer is,everyone does.

Weeks ago I knew who my manager's player of the year was, one player who stood out,was just brilliant, he was clear winner.

Thing is,he has also just won the player's vote for player of the year. So, do I give him both,or do I spread the awards,give the manager's award to someone else when I know and had picked this guy already. I should also note if I was to pick someone else,the next lad I'd pick is on holiday and would not be around for the awards,so then it is a case of should I give it to him if he won't even be there or give it to a 3rd choice...

I've asked about 30 people and it is almost split 50/50. I can understand if I was coaching a team 15 or under,it would be an easy decision to spread the awards,but at 17 are they not old enough? If this lad deserves both should he not get both? Opinions needed please! :P Not sure if it matters but the trophies are quite good, over 20quid to buy each,so its not like some shit prize they would be getting.

Give him both awards or split it? 21 votes

Give him both
    0% 0 votes
    Split
    100% 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

At that age they're old enough to understand, and will should know themselves who was the best player.

Give him both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Give him both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Give him both awards and if he's a midfielder give his number to Trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

My two pence worth,but I think it was a bit silly having 2 awards for managers player and players player of the year.

I think with top scorer and players player,your 3rd award could have been for player who played most games/mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Give him both. At 17 they'll know themselves who was the best player, especially if he's stood out enough for both you and his team mates to recognise it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

My two pence worth,but I think it was a bit silly having 2 awards for managers player and players player of the year.

I think with top scorer and players player,your 3rd award could have been for player who played most games/mins.

Well to be honest there are at least 8 players who played pretty much every game and most 90mins. I only made subs when we were winning comfortably which got me stick from a parent or two but I thought at that age I have to pick the best team regardless of giving game time, so I did. We won the league with pretty much the same team all year, at least 8 or 9 our of the 11 anyway so picking an award like you suggested would almost have been impossible.

I figured like last year both awards would be probably split but this lad was just so good he has gotten both,its rare but he is that good,personally Im surprised he was not snapped up earlier in his teens by kevins or cherry orchard or someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

tvnutz wrote: »
    Well to be honest there are at least 8 players who played pretty much every game and most 90mins. I only made subs when we were winning comfortably which got me stick from a parent or two but I thought at that age I have to pick the best team regardless of giving game time, so I did. We won the league with pretty much the same team all year, at least 8 or 9 our of the 11 anyway so picking an award like you suggested would almost have been impossible.

I figured like last year both awards would be probably split but this lad was just so good he has gotten both,its rare but he is that good,personally Im surprised he was not snapped up earlier in his teens by kevins or cherry orchard or someone.

Fair enough,I was thinking it might have been only 1 or 2 lads that played the whole lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I can't decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Give him both but change that manager's award for the future to hardest working player award or something like that, or most improved player maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Both. Put in an award for best clubman or some such. Acknowledge the guy who turns up everytime and puts in his shift, unless it's that lad again. Then give it to the chubby lad who only sees the garbage time when ye're up by five.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why would you not expect your players to agree with you on who was your best player? Honestly, if you pick someone else when there was a clear winner it will look dodgy and they might question your judgement.

Advertisement