Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Kirby wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about our national side being demolished due to domestic league issues. We will continue to produce decent players regardless of how poor our own domestic league is because football is part of our culture and lots of kids still play it as their first sport, even in this obese couch patato age. They will just continue to be picked up by the english clubs at youth level.

I go to all the Ireland games. Have done for my entire life. I watch the epl religiously and have (imo) excellent worldwide footballing knowledge but don't specifically support a club... I tend to root for the team that has the most Irish lads in it. It gives me a better perspective than some of the die-hard supports of english clubs round here. Ireland is sorta like my club. And in my opinion we are fine. A couple bad results doesn't detract from that. We have good young players to replace the guys heading out the door.

And yes, we do have great fans who support their team and very, very rarely boo our own players. Thats fairly uncommon if you speak tp fans of other international teams. Booing is quite common. And I wouldn't worry too much about a couple of empty seats at the Aviva. It's usually full enough. It's worth keeping in mind that most International teams don't fill their stadium and ours is bigger than most, especially when comparing it to our population size.

Decent but not very good right? Good players dont just happen, they have to be coached right. I don't think there's a whole lot of very good young players coming through to be honest, and definitely not that many to replace some of the current better ones. It's too easy to say there will always be players coming through, have you not seen the state of our current national team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

This is part of the problem with the modern football fan. Overreaction. We lose a couple of games against superior opposition and the sky is falling. We have good young players coming through. Westwood will replace Given, Clarke will replace Dunne or if not Clarke perhaps Duffy. James McCarthy is, in my opinion, a much better player than Whelan so that is a trade upwards. McClean is seen as the replacement for Duff and while Keane and Doyle are getting on a bit, Cox, Walters and Long are hardly OAP's are they? I also quite rate Pilkington and hope to see him in the squad soon.

Relax.

I would also like to remind people or our recent results. It's not just about a 4-0 spanking to spain. We beat the italians comfortably last summer. We got a draw away to Russia. Nobody does that.

We drew with the Czech's a few months back. We beat the highly rated Bosnian's in the last friendly before the tourney.....many would consider them better team than us and they rarely troubled us. It was their first 11 aswell.

We are a decent team now and with better selection from trap, will continue to be a decent team in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

We beat the italians comfortably last summer.

21 (1) shots, 68% possession, nothing comfortable about that game.
    We got a draw away to Russia. Nobody does that.

24 (10) shots, 62% possession, and other teams have performed much better away than Ireland (but didn't get a result, true). Slovakia beat them 0-1 fwiw.
    We drew with the Czech's a few months back.

20 (5) shots, 60% possession, fortunate to come away with a draw.

Just a reminder of how we play against decent teams.

Renn wrote: »
    21 (1) shots, 68% possession, nothing comfortable about that game..

You obviously looked up the stats because you didn't see the game against Italy. The last minute goal flattered us but for all their possession, they didn't score and never looked like scoring.

Renn wrote: »
    20 (5) shots, 60% possession, fortunate to come away with a draw.

Rubbish. I was at that game and we played well. It was one of Cox's better performance for us. When he came on, he was dangerous every time he had the ball. It was also McCleans debut if memory serves.

Football is a results business and while we were lucky against the Russians, we well deserved the other results I listed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

Felexicon wrote: »
    This means nothing. I'd love to go to all of Irelands games but the price of tickets is crazy.

20 buck is hardly crazy???? lazy arm chair fan

To be fair, it's 20 for a friendly......but 45-50 for a competitive match. It's not cheap. I pay it but it's not cheap.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I would also like to remind people or our recent results. It's not just about a 4-0 spanking to spain. We beat the italians comfortably last summer. We got a draw away to Russia. Nobody does that.

We drew with the Czech's a few months back. We beat the highly rated Bosnian's in the last friendly before the tourney.....many would consider them better team than us and they rarely troubled us. It was their first 11 aswell.

We are a decent team now and with better selection from trap, will continue to be a decent team in the future.
    With the exception of the Russia game they're all friendlies though, are they not? Friendly results don't mean nearly as much as competitive imo.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    Cool. Well I'll just call over to you to collect my ticket every time there's a game since money is no issue to you.

Also wtf is a buck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't believe Delaney begging UEFA to give us a reward for singing at the end of the game. Embarrassing.

• Advertisement

Can't believe Delaney begging UEFA to give us a reward for singing at the end of the game. Embarrassing.

Is he? When was this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Facepalm.jpg @ Delaney if true. Thats embarassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Is he? When was this?

http://www.balls.ie/2012/06/16/sober-john-delaney-asks-for-special-uefa-recognition-for-ireland-fans/

He appears to be sober but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

seanmc1980 wrote: »

I really hope this is sarcasm, albeit a poor attempt at it.

That twenty euros can be better spent if family need it, you don't know people's employment or living situations so anyone that comes out with that needs to take a look at themselves.

People that can go to every single game deserve credit and respect for it, but they also have no right to try and alienate people because they can't go to games.

I hate the idea that people going to games have the divine right to more of an opinion than those that go rarely or not at all.

Edit: can't wait for Keane's view on Delaney asking for recognition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Thats going away from the point completely.

No its not. If Ireland played with heart and passion and gave it their all and lost then i would agree with the fans singing at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Had a Spanish friend congratulating me on our fans last Thursday. Tonight he asked me if we had been invaded by English fans as there was so much booing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Another thing that I think is unfair is the LOI arguments, they're irrelevant to be honest. I live in Kilkenny, we don't have an LOI team same as Kerry, Tipperary, Laois, Meath, Mayo, Clare, Carlow, Kildare and West Meath (not 100% sure of the accuracy of that list but I'd say I'm fairly close). Also what about those that follow other sports, there's the rugby on Friday nights also?

I would go to LOI games but I'm from Monaghan and there's no LOI teams around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Thread from AH. OP is someone from Poland, just thought I'd stick it in here, since he couldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Had a Spanish friend congratulating me on our fans last Thursday. Tonight he asked me if we had been invaded by English fans as there was so much booing.

Some of the Italians playacting and refereeing decisions were a bit odd.

I could understand the booing.

No unusual.

Some playacting but nothing OTT. As for refereeing decisions, Ireland were extremely fortunate not to finish with 9 men - O'Shea should have been sent off at around 75mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

On the booing.
    Watching the Croatia match on TV I noticed as soon as it started the Irish fans started to boo when a Croat player got the ball, I bit OTT I thoughts.

Then I was at the Italy game and it was the very same, as soon as it started the booing started, and it went on throughout the game.
    The ref got booed leaving the field at half time, for what exactly I do not know.
    Bolettli was very badly booed when he came on, again I do know know what for, and sad to say you could hear some monkey chants.

It seems that the fans at the game could not get over the fact that their own players were s **te so they decided to boo the ref and opposition.
    These are the types of idiots you have following Ireland now.

The craic was great in town and on the way out to the match but once the game started you knew that most there did not have a clue about football

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

sad to say you could hear some monkey chants.

From Irish fans!? There were Poles in the crowd too. I'd find it hard to believe any Irish fan would do that given Paul McGrath, Phil Babb etc in our team before.

I will take your word though.

darkman2 wrote: »
    From Irish fans!? There were Poles in the crowd too. I'd find it hard to believe any Irish fan would do that given Paul McGrath, Phil Babb etc in our team before.

Well the way I heard it is that when he came on it was not just boos, you could certainly hear something else mixed in, it did not last long and soon returned to just boos, but there were certainly some mixed in.

Oh and the Poles were a non factor here, these were Irish people

Well the way I heard it is that when he came on it was not just boos, you could certainly hear something else mixed in, it did not last long and soon returned to just boos, but there were certainly some mixed in.

Oh and the Poles were a non factor here, these were Irish people

Fair enough. Very disappointing if true. You are accusing some Irish fans of racism. Something UEFA is taking VERY seriously at this tournament. Very disappointing.

If that was reported Ireland could face points deduction at next Euro qualifiers like Russia.

Fair enough. Very disappointing if true. You are accusing some Irish fans of racism. Something UEFA is taking VERY seriously at this tournament. Very disappointing.

Yes, of course, there are racist idiots everywhere and Irish fans are no exception.
    There was one guy behind me who spent the whole game calling the Italian's 'guineas' etc, a few more shouted at Boletelli if he had enough bananas today.
    The guy behind me fairly shut up when Boletelli scored though, karma I say.

man I f*cking hate this response, if you're not from Argentina, Brazil, England, France, Germany, Italy or Spain the chances are your main team is from one of the above countries which is the case for the vast majority of the world, amirite?

There is no reason why LOI sides could not be a Barcelona or Man City if Irish people supported the club(s). I think it's pathetic seeing all the English club jerseys around the place. Ultimately you are supporting England economically and seem to be proud and advertise the fact by wearing the jerseys.

Soccer supporters are not the most intelligent of human beings so they don't understand how stupid they portray themselves - but they really do when Irish fans are, in numbers, supporting English clubs and wearing their jerseys not realising that your supporting England in actual fact. Not the club. The club is only incidental. You may aswell pay the money for your jersey in tax to the British government.

In many ways I think Irish support of English clubs stems from an inferiority complex toward England in general. That's a mental road block in the Irish psyche I think that can't be easily overcome.

Get behind our league and then it will be something to be proud of.

TheBuilder wrote: »
    I really hope this is sarcasm, albeit a poor attempt at it.

That twenty euros can be better spent if family need it, you don't know people's employment or living situations so anyone that comes out with that needs to take a look at themselves.

People that can go to every single game deserve credit and respect for it, but they also have no right to try and alienate people because they can't go to games.

I hate the idea that people going to games have the divine right to more of an opinion than those that go rarely or not at all.

Edit: can't wait for Keane's view on Delaney asking for recognition!

but heading to poland is within their mean!

lots of booing in the stadium tonight, the self proclaimed "best fans in the world" really let themselves down!
    hopefully they will all make the Serbia game!

oh i forgot the self proclaimed "best fans in the world" only follow their team a major tournments ...

silly me

roll on cold, quiet nights in landsdowne till we get to brazil 14 and the "best fans in the world" can show the world how great they are again!

!low lie the fields....."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

sad to say you could hear some monkey chants.

But yet people have no problem labelling sections of England's support racist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

WTF? Booing is not allowed? When United play turkish sides their fans boo and whistle the United players constantly throughout the game and cheer when we lose possession. they create an awesome atmosphere - great fans, and their booing of the opposition is part of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Polish fans did the same booing in their 3 matches.

Ukraine fans did it in their 2 matches.

People should relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

The booing is ok.

The singing when losing is an embarassment. They're just trying to milk the "best fans in the world" thing. A few tweets from footballers saying they're great and they'd be like "oh so proud to be Irish"

Imagine if it was some small country like Latvia or whatever and the fans were singing like ours in the same situation. You'd feel sorry for them.

I can't describe it quite as well in text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

There is no reason why LOI sides could not be a Barcelona or Man City if Irish people supported the club(s). I think it's pathetic seeing all the English club jerseys around the place. Ultimately you are supporting England economically and seem to be proud and advertise the fact by wearing the jerseys.

Soccer supporters are not the most intelligent of human beings so they don't understand how stupid they portray themselves - but they really do when Irish fans are, in numbers, supporting English clubs and wearing their jerseys not realising that your supporting England in actual fact. Not the club. The club is only incidental. You may aswell pay the money for your jersey in tax to the British government.

In many ways I think Irish support of English clubs stems from an inferiority complex toward England in general. That's a mental road block in the Irish psyche I think that can't be easily overcome.

Get behind our league and then it will be something to be proud of.

hahahaha jeez where to start?

I suppose you just live off the land and only buy products that were home grown or produced within a 20 mile radius of you?
    Yeah? Otherwise get off your horse there.

You really deserve a warning for the bolded part though. Just an ignorant and pathetic opinion really.

Surely this thread has run it's course. It's plain as day that we are the best fans in the world. Anyone who disagrees has no place commenting on a football forum as they know nothing about pride and passion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Surely this thread has run it's course. It's plain as day that we are the best fans in the world. Anyone who disagrees has no place commenting on a football forum as they know nothing about pride and passion

It's a pity we'll probably have to wait another 10 years to see some of the greatest fans the world has ever know at a football game but such is life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

stovelid wrote: »
    It's a pity we'll probably have to wait another 10 years to see some of the greatest fans the world has ever know at a football game but such is life.

Ah don't be so downbeat about it. Thanks to the Euro expansion we should get to Euro2016 even with the quality of player at our disposal.

So our fans only have to wait another four years to see another Ireland game. Hope they can hang on that long.

As a bonus, due to the ease of qualification, we'll probably lose all three finals games there too so the fans will have a great chance to show how good they are.

It'll give John another chance to enjoy himself as well.

delaneypic.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Hope they can hang on that long.

True.

It's terrible the way there are no football games for people to go to between major tournaments. Somebody should sort that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

stovelid wrote: »
    True.

It's terrible the way there are no football games for people to go to between major tournaments. Somebody should sort that out.

Good idea. But how would one even find the time to watch them tho with the almost blanket tv coverage of the Premier League for 10 months of the year and then odd jobs around the house to do for the other 2.

Jesus!!!!!!!! The thread title should be changed to "Bitter LoI fans hate national team supporters"

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

RoryMac wrote: »
    There has been a bit of discussion on here tonight about the Irish fans in Poland and if they can claim the title of best fans in the world.

I'd like to see peoples opinions on who are the best fans and why, what makes one set of fans stand out etc

I couldn't guive a sh*te about the 'fans'/olé olé brigade.

They only have two songs between them in the first place and a very dodgy huddle.

Give me the real passion from the Greeks/Croats anyday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Jesus!!!!!!!! The thread title should be changed to "Bitter LoI fans hate national team supporters"

Or maybe be changed to "Bitter bandwagoners and hangers on of national team don't enjoy having their shortcomings pointed out to them".

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Or maybe be changed to "Bitter bandwagoners and hangers on of national team don't enjoy having their shortcomings pointed out to them".

Ok so what exactly in your opinion are the shortcomings of the fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ok so what exactly in your opinion are the shortcomings of the fans?

Going to no more than half a dozen games a year and claiming to BFITW.

15,000 at an Ireland match in Dublin last year. Twice that in Poland.

Loyalty my hole.

"Heartborken" fans on tv suddenly ballooning around when they realise they're on tv.

Licking Delaney's a*se as well. :rolleyes:

1.Going to no more than half a dozen games a year and claiming to BFITW.

2.15,000 at an Ireland match in Dublin last year. Twice that in Poland.

3.Loyalty my hole.

4."Heartborken" fans on tv suddenly ballooning around when they realise they're on tv.

5.Licking Delaney's a*se as well. :rolleyes:

1. So you know for a fact that every fan over in Poland only goes to 6 games a year.

Why would that stop them being the best fans in the world

2. So? It was a friendly no one cared about

3. Makes no sense

4. People with a few drinks on board waving at a camera. Clearly not real football fans. They should be hung at the arrivals hall in the airport and never be allowed breath the same air as real patriots who stand in Tolka Park every second week

5. Again you have no proof

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Going to no more than half a dozen games a year and claiming to BFITW.

15,000 at an Ireland match in Dublin last year. Twice that in Poland.

Loyalty my hole.

"Heartborken" fans on tv suddenly ballooning around when they realise they're on tv.

Licking Delaney's a*se as well. :rolleyes:

Great points there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Yes, of course, there are racist idiots everywhere and Irish fans are no exception.
    There was one guy behind me who spent the whole game calling the Italian's 'guineas' etc, a few more shouted at Boletelli if he had enough bananas today.
    The guy behind me fairly shut up when Boletelli scored though, karma I say.

Really ??? 2012 and that ****e still happens. Very sad.

Really ??? 2012 and that ****e still happens. Very sad.

Don't be so shocked pal. You hear idiots at that sh1t in the Stags Head every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There was a Polish fella on John Murrays show on RTE radio this morning who summed it up - he said when Poland lose "we take it very seriously, are depressed and annoyed. when Ireland lose they sing...." Poland was a holiday with some football games thrown in, no doubt if Ireland had gone out there with genuine expectation of progress to the Quarter Finals things would have been far less happy/clappy in the stadiums and more intense.

mike65 wrote: »
    There was a Polish fella on John Murrays show on RTE radio this morning who summed it up - he said when Poland lose "we take it very seriously, are depressed and annoyed. when Ireland lose they sing...." Poland was a holiday with some football games thrown in, no doubt if Ireland had gone out there with genuine expectation of progress to the Quarter Finals things would have been far less happy/clappy in the stadiums and more intense.

Well at least our fans have a bit of fcuking perspective on life then.
    Getting depressed over football makes you an emotional retard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement