Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Felexicon wrote: »
    Getting depressed over football makes you an emotional retard.

Is the inverse also true? Does getting happy about it make you a retard. That would explain most of the dribblers we've had to ensure the sight of on the telly for the last fortnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

stovelid wrote: »
    Is the inverse also true? Does getting happy about it make you a retard. That would explain most of the dribblers we've had to ensure the sight of on the telly for the last fortnight.

No, being happy doesn't but feeling any kind of jubilation or sense of actual joy does/would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

To all those slating those of us who went to Poland the only thing I can say is its like Vietnam

''You dont understand, you werent there man!!!!''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

People suffer from depression from all types of things in daily life.

They dont need football to be another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Well at least our fans have a bit of fcuking perspective on life then.
    Getting depressed over football makes you an emotional retard.

When you are passionate about your club or country then you take it badly when they lose and get knocked out of a tourny, especially when they play badly.
    I would have thought the so called best fans in the world would have understood this.

When you are passionate about your club or country then you take it badly when they lose and get knocked out of a tourny, especially when they play badly.
    I would have thought the so called best fans in the world would have understood this.
    Yes. But there is a major difference to feeling down and being depressed.
    Stop using the "so called" bit. They are 100% the best fans in the world

n32 wrote: »
    To all those slating those of us who went to Poland the only thing I can say is its like Vietnam

I havent read any posts that slates anyone for going to Poland and what's to understand? Did Charlie have you pinned down on the Ho Chi Min trail and Delaney saved you with his shoes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Jesus, you are so without a clue that I suspect this might actually be Alicia Silverstone behind the computer screen, so I'm thinking I should start being nice to you....

The difference is in how much of your life you give to following your club or country . A full time supporter would be depressed, a part time supporter would be just down a bit but would say "feck it, lets have a sing song and turn our backs to our team and do a stupid little dance".

What makes them 100% best fans in the world?

• Advertisement

"Sing when you're winning, you only sing when you're winning"

Oh wait......

The difference is in how much of your life you give to following your club or country . A full time supporter would be depressed, a part time supporter would be just down a bit but would say "feck it, lets have a sing song and turn our backs to our team and do a stupid little dance".

What makes them 100% best fans in the world?

Ok. I will say this one last time.
    If anyone gets depressed over a game of football they are an emotional retard. If you are trying to tell me that I have to go into a state of despair when my team lose to be considered a "full time supporter" then I am more than happy to be a part timer.
    I will survive safe in the knowledge that as a part timer I have some sort of perspective on what is actually important in life and won't allow my emotions to be controlled by people who don't know or probably care that I'm alive.

As for what makes them the best fans in the world? I do, that's what
    It's a meaningless personal opinion.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    "Sing when you're losing, you only sing when you're losing"

Oh wait......

FYP

If anyone gets depressed over a game of football they are an emotional retard. If you are trying to tell me that I have to go into a state of despair when my team lose to be considered a "full time supporter" then I am more than happy to be a part timer.
    I will survive safe in the knowledge that as a part timer I have some sort of perspective on what is actually important in life and won't allow my emotions to be controlled by people who don't know or probably care that I'm alive.

They are the best fans in the world because you do??????

You dont HAVE to go into despair but its what happens when you are passionate about your club .
    So you are a part timer claiming to be part of the best fans in the world?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Some folks are born to wave the flag,
    ooh, they're green white and gold,
    And when the band plays "the fields of Athenry"
    Oh, they moan on boards about you, Lord.

It ain't me, no it ain't me, I ain't no LOI fan,
    It ain't me, no it ain't me, I ain't no Ireland fan, yeah!

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

ooh, they're green white and orange,

FYP :D

• Advertisement

I hear the Irish team are at Dublin airport..waiting to welcome home the fans!

Polish fans did the same booing in their 3 matches.

Ukraine fans did it in their 2 matches.

People should relax.

make that 3

Had a Spanish friend congratulating me on our fans last Thursday. Tonight he asked me if we had been invaded by English fans as there was so much booing.

Hope he is watching the match tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Agree there are more important things in life, be it an Irish, English or International team, losing a game isnt cause for depression.

People of course will have different opinions

ooh, they're green white and gold,

and some are just born to ****heads. Have to laugh at all the so called super supporters on here who are complaining about those who travelled to poland. If you re all so great what were you doing posting comments about the fans on a message board while the matches were going on? Our first tournament in 10 years and fellas are watching it with their laptops and smartphones at the ready! Oh you heroes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

mike65 wrote: »
    There was a Polish fella on John Murrays show on RTE radio this morning who summed it up - he said when Poland lose "we take it very seriously, are depressed and annoyed. when Ireland lose they sing...." Poland was a holiday with some football games thrown in, no doubt if Ireland had gone out there with genuine expectation of progress to the Quarter Finals things would have been far less happy/clappy in the stadiums and more intense.

That's codology. I saw, in Torun, the Poles after the Czech game take to the streets singing, chanting and waving flags. Hundreds of them. So that's bullsh*t then.

Though there's some valid points being made here, there seems to me to be a lot of begrudgery and sniping from those who didn't go. It colours even sensible points.

Handy11 wrote: »
    That's codology. I saw, in Torun, the Poles after the Czech game take to the streets singing, chanting and waving flags. Hundreds of them. So that's bullsh*t then.

Though there's some valid points being made here, there seems to me to be a lot of begrudgery and sniping from those who didn't go. It colours even sensible points.
    Youre dead right , the poles were on the lash and singing after the Czech game just as much as we were. Like us they knew they had little or no chance in the long run

Handy11 wrote: »

there seems to me to be a lot of begrudgery and sniping from those who didn't go. It colours even sensible points.

bang on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Our fans should go on a self flagellation walk through Gdansk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

and some are just born to ****heads. Have to laugh at all the so called super supporters on here who are complaining about those who travelled to poland. If you re all so great what were you doing posting comments about the fans on a message board while the matches were going on? Our first tournament in 10 years and fellas are watching it with their laptops and smartphones at the ready! Oh you heroes

A lot of them follow an Irish team week in week out, year in year out all over Ireland and Europe. A lot of them pump in a fortune in money and time keeping domestic football alive in Ireland. They're not looking for a medal for heading over to a game every ten years.

A lot of them follow an Irish team week in week out, year in year out all over Ireland and Europe. A lot of them pump in a fortune in money and time keeping domestic football alive in Ireland. They're not looking for a medal for heading over to a game every ten years.
    Go away with your looking for a medal for heading to a game. There were plenty people out there who are involved with the grassroots level and who go to every Ireland game. Fair enough there were a fair few fools there but there was a lot of faces their who you d easily recognise from seeing at LOI or Ireland games

Come on man, you can't really be so bitter as to allow people you don't know singing at a football match annoy you this much.

If only my life were so simple that this caused me alot of worry.

In reality not all there are the worlds biggest football fans, but who gives a fcuk.
    If they want to spend thier hard earned money going over to Poland on a glorified p1ss up then so be it. They have received nothing but praise for thief actions both in and out of the ground.
    Who in the name of God are you to tell them that because they don't follow LoI they're not real fans.
    If people want to label them the BFITW who cares. It's fcuking meaningless in the grand scale of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Since when does attending LOI games give people the right to act like there superior of those who dont? It seems to me to be similar to the hipster attitude just in football.

I dont go to LOI games, I support Arsenal and I have a lot of passion for my national team does it mean I have less of a right to support my national side and wear the green jersey of Ireland hell no it doesnt, im a proud Irish man and will always cheer on national teams or individuals, and anyone who wants to try act all superior can go shove it up there hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Since when does attending LOI games give people the right to act like there superior of those who dont? It seems to me to be similar to the hipster attitude just in football.

I dont go to LOI games, I support Arsenal and I have a lot of passion for my national team does it mean I have less of a right to support my national side and wear the green jersey of Ireland hell no it doesnt, im a proud Irish man and will always cheer on national teams or individuals, and anyone who wants to try act all superior can go shove it up there hole.

Exactly. I live in Tipp. No league of Ireland team near me (Don't support an English team either) even if I wanted to support one. Does that mean I'm not allowed or worthy enough to get behind the national team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The only superior attitude is from those claiming the mythical title of the BFITW.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The only superior attitude is from those claiming the mythical title of the BFITW.

Ah thats Ok your just blaming the Germans, French, English and people like Van Persie.

In fairness for second we thought people were blaming the Irish fans inside the stadium.

Thread closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ah thats Ok your just blaming the Germans, French, English and people like Van Persie.

In fairness for second we thought people were blaming the Irish fans inside the stadium.

Thread closed.

Didn't realise the Germans, French, English and Van Persie were the official panel for deciding best fans in the world. Irish fans have always been hailed as excellent away fans, don't know why the recent need to put a ridiculous fake label like that on it. In fairness all this defensiveness started from people completely misreading what Keane said about the Irish fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The LoI guys just want their own bandwagon!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

I support Ireland because I'm from Ireland.

I support Man Utd because I'm from eh....Balyfermot. :confused:

Madworld wrote: »

:rolleyes: good argument, no I support Arsenal because I enjoy watching a high standard of football and enjoy watching some of the best players the world has ever seen play week in week out wouldnt you? If I want to go watch a bunch of people who couldnt cut it at a high standard of football ill go watch one my local teams play for free not go and pay to watch 11 sunday morning footballers kick the ball around.

Any Iirish player worth his salt jumps at the chance to a move to England including the lower leagues, because he knows the standard is better, better money, better quality grounds and training facilities.

Accept the fact were a small nation were never going to have a high quality league even if every person in this republic went to watch the games week in week out. Now stop with the im mightier than thou attitude. This crap of you should support the team were you live is bulll****.

We should be looking at improving our standards at grassroots level so we produce better players.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You need to get out and meet some ultras.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

:rolleyes: good argument, no I support Arsenal because I enjoy watching a high standard of football and enjoy watching some of the best players the world has ever seen play week in week out wouldnt you? If I want to go watch a bunch of people who couldnt cut it at a high standard of football ill go watch one my local teams play for free not go and pay to watch 11 sunday morning footballers kick the ball around.

Any Iirish player worth his salt jumps at the chance to a move to England including the lower leagues, because he knows the standard is better, better money, better quality grounds and training facilities.

Accept the fact were a small nation were never going to have a high quality league even if every person in this republic went to watch the games week in week out. Now stop with the im mightier than thou attitude. This crap of you should support the team were you live is bulll****.

We should be looking at improving our standards at grassroots level so we produce better players.

So why din't you support Spain if thats yiur logix?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

So you consider James McClean, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long etc are all Sunday morning footballers?

I agree about wanting to watch a high standard of football. I watch the Epl, La Liga etc but I also wanted to support my local team which I do. Every single Bohs fan I know supports an English/ foreign team. I don't think it's a case that the LOI posters on here are saying you should only be supporting your local team!

And how can we get the funds to make these improvements at grassroots level if we don't have the fans at a grassroots level?

Also if "This crap of you should support the team were you live is bulll**** " , mean that you support England?

• Advertisement

dan1895 wrote: »
    So why din't you support Spain if thats yiur logix?

Because theres a difference when it comes to national pride, im proud of my culture, heritage and men and women who wear the jerseys representing what it means to be Irish its unity as one.

But do I enjoy watching Spain, Brazil etc play yes I sure do. Plus it helps if you have a local team but ill be honest even if there was one I prob still wouldnt be to bothered.

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    So you consider James McClean, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long etc are all Sunday morning footballers?

I agree about wanting to watch a high standard of football. I watch the Epl, La Liga etc but I also wanted to support my local team which I do. Every single Bohs fan I know supports an English/ foreign team. I don't think it's a case that the LOI posters on here are saying you should only be supporting your local team!

No but look what happened they were snapped up and left LOI first chance they got, because they knew pastures were greeener over seas for footballers. Well that may be the case but a lot of LOI supporters are coming on giving that impression just because I dont follow a LOI team does not give me any less of a right to support my national side or mean it means less because I dont
    And how can we get the funds to make these improvements at grassroots level if we don't have the fans at a grassroots level?

Also if "This crap of you should support the team were you live is bulll**** " , mean that you support England?

Its not neccessarily about the funds at grassroots level its about better organisation of the leagues etc by the FAI and better coaching standards, its to easy for any tom or dick to start up a club having no basic knowledge of football and starting a club for his mates.

Also on your last comment :rolleyes:

Because theres a difference when it comes to national pride, im proud of my culture, heritage and men and women who wear the jerseys representing what it means to be Irish its unity as one.

But do I enjoy watching Spain, Brazil etc play yes I sure do. Plus it helps if you have a local team but ill be honest even if there was one I prob still wouldnt be to bothered.

Does Arsenal represent your culture and heritage more than Shelbourne or Shamrock Rovers?

Also you do have a local team if you live in Dublin. You not only have one. You have five.

Its not neccessarily about the funds at grassroots level its about better organisation of the leagues etc by the FAI and better coaching standards, its to easy for any tom or dick to start up a club having no basic knowledge of football and starting a club for his mates.

Also on your last comment :rolleyes:

So once again how do we support this improvements in coaching standards without funding. The UEFA coaching badges are very expensive.

Also I can't get my head around the fact you want to put obstacles in place for people to set up their own clubs for their mates. These lads are never going to be playing International Football so whats the harm?

And please explain to me the flaws in the logic of my last comment? A rolleyes makes it kind of difficult to comprehend.

Does Arsenal represent your culture and heritage more than Shelbourne or Shamrock Rovers?

Also you do have a local team if you live in Dublin. You not only have one. You have five.

No but neither Shamrock Rovers or Shelbourne represent my culture for me either and after that it comes down to watching a high standard of football, were just going round in circles here.

Yes im from Dublin but im from an area that is not really represented by any of them. Shamrock Rovers being the closest to me but there seen as a Tallaght team and im not from Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

No but look what happened they were snapped up and left LOI first chance they got, because they knew pastures were greeener over seas for footballers.

Just like Arsenal players so.

• Advertisement

bohsman wrote: »
    Just like Arsenal players so.

:pac::pac: nice try, yeh they do but that the nature of the game, but with Arsenal theyll replace them players with other players of high quality.

No but neither Shamrock Rovers or Shelbourne represent my culture for me either and after that it comes down to watching a high standard of football, were just going round in circles here.

Yes im from Dublin but im from an area that is not really represented by any of them. Shamrock Rovers being the closest to me but there seen as a Tallaght team and im not from Tallaght.

So you support Arsenal because of the high standard of football. You support Ireland because it represents your heritage and culture.

Yet Ireland doesn't play a particularly play an attractive brand of football and Arsenal doesn't represent your heritage and culture.

Its an inherent contradiction.

:pac::pac: nice try, yeh they do but that the nature of the game, but with Arsenal theyll replace them players with other players of high quality.

And with the LOI you'll get new young stars of tomorrow coming in. With the way the EPL has gone worldwide for players you'll also get more promising players staying in the league for longer as it's tougher to get picked up now and the experience of first team football will go a long way.

A lot of Rovers fans wouldn't be happy at being called a Tallaght club btw. Nobody is saying everyone has to pick up a season ticket, we'd be delighted if all footie fans in the country watched the odd game on TV, watched out for local teams results and went to the odd game, the more passing interest the more media and advertising comes in.

So you support Arsenal because of the high standard of football. You support Ireland because it represents your heritage and culture.

Yet Ireland doesn't play a particularly play an attractive brand of football and Arsenal doesn't represent your heritage and culture.

It doesn't matter, the EPL marketed right and got us all in years ago with the sticker albums and the SKY sports best league in the world stuff, discussions just going to go round in circles, only way to change things is to get the kids interested.

Maybe it is but it still makes sense in a roundabout way. IF you want to support local teams fair play to you that up to yourself, but coming on and acting as if your the bee kness because you do is a bit sad be happy with who you support and let other people worry about themselves.

But when it comes to the national team were all united as one and what happened to bring this thread about was something nice as an Irish fan to witness and read statements from Poland and players regards our fans cant we all just be happy that our fans are held in high esteem, instead of LOI fans trying to undermine those who arent? This is a football thread so im all for debating merits of football players, teams, matchs etc but debating ones pasion or rights to follow whichever team they choose should be left at the door on the way into the soccer forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement