Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Felexicon wrote: »

Ireland played muck and they got sang and cheered off the pitch. What the feck is that all about? If they played out of their skin and lost the fair enough but not when they played like if they hadnt a clue.

Best fans in the world
    We're the best fans in the world
    It's clear to me
    We've always been
    We're the best fans in the world

Come on Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No other Pineapple stu posting on here ;)

you misappropriated the name. you know it, and everyone else knows it.

Ireland were booted out anyway.

Eh , no we were not. We were eliminated based on results. If you cannot see the difference between these I'm worried.

We lost
    We lost
    We lost
    We lost
    But we don't give a damn
    We're proud of all our players
    They did the best they can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Eh , no we were not. We were eliminated based on results. If you cannot see the difference between these I'm worried.

We lost
    We lost
    We lost
    We lost
    But we don't give a damn
    We're proud of all our players
    They did the best they can

Ireland wasnt asked to leave now did they. Kicked out/eliminated/booted out, its the same thing.
    You still havent said what makes the Irish fans the best in the world.

Des wrote: »
    you misappropriated the name. you know it, and everyone else knows it.

Dont be so childish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dont be so childish.

Not as childish of stealing the name of a well regarded poster on another, Irish, football forum.

Why'd you do it?

It's weird and stalkerish at best, downright lying at worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

looder wrote: »
    .and out of interest, do you follow a local non-league team and go to their matches? If not, then your whole LOI argument is bull****.

I play with one on a Saturday morning. But me being involved with them doesn't contribute financially to the domestic game. As a result of this I can't see how I am improving the finances required to improve the grassroots game and become a top quality small nation.
    Is there any country with a population under 5 million with a strong domestic league? Not that I can think of anyway.

Croatia: Dinamo Zagreb: 40,000 fans at games - They have a strong academy having produced players like Modric & Corluka

Hajuk Split: 35,000 - Srna

Uruguay: National: 60,000 - Luis Suarez

Peñarol: 65,000 - Diego Forlan
    Not to mention that soccer (especially domestic soccer) isn't the number 1 sport (or even the number 2 in some parts) of Ireland.

In terms of playing numbers it is number one.

Gaelic Football & Hurling only make up 13% of playing numbers of Irish sport. Soccer makes up 17%.

http://www.esri.ie/pdf/BKMNINT180_Main%20Text_Social%20and%20Economic%20Value%20of%20Sport.pdf

Go to page 11
    My local league of Ireland club is Waterford Utd and I've probably been to two or three Waterford games in my lifetime (mainly due to the fact that I knew a few of the players playing) but I've zero affiliation to them and as they're located in a different county to me, and I'm predominantly a GAA man there's no way I'd support them as much as I'd support Liverpool (who admittedly I've zero affiliation for either, but have followed them with 20 odd years).

So if I've no real affiliation with any LOI club, then in my mind it makes sense to follow a club who play at a higher level of soccer. In contrast, in GAA, I've one club, and one county and am much more passionate about the club I support.

Have you ever tried to watch Junior soccer matches? The majority of them are painful to watch. The majority of LOI games are the same in my opinion whereas the majority of Premiership games are bearable.

If you had a League of Ireland team in your county would you support them alongside Liverpoool?

You use the analogy of supporting your local GAA club team.
    Do they play to the same standard as Ballyhale Shamrocks or Nemo Rangers? If not your point is completely non nonsensical.

RE your Spain argument from an earlier post. I'm Irish so it's only natural I'd follow Ireland. I have an affiliation with the country. I was in Poland and I was there predominantly on a holiday and for the beer as much as for the soccer. I've no problems in admitting that. Is there anything wrong with that? I don't think so anyway

There is nothing wrong with it if you don't care about soccer. But if you don't care about something, why give your opinion on it?
    I don't think you can apply this argument to LOI as there are vast areas of Ireland (like Mayo) without a LOI club. You'd be writing people that live there (i.e. me) off as potential fans because they are not local to the LOI team they support.

In GAA (and international level sport) every part of the country (world) is covered by a county (national) team.

Is there a Premier League team in Mayo? Surely you have more of an affiliation with a Galway or Sligo man than with the likes of a Manc or Liverpudlian?
    Well considering it's my opinion, I'll spout whatever I want about the LOI. . .

. . . and it's only in response to lads who think they are superior to others because they watch/support the league.

Your spouting ignorant bullshít though. Very few L.O.I fans think they are superior to EPL fans, as the majority of them are EPL fans.
    Can some of you anti LOI people on here just admit for once that you dont support your own league and dont attend matches etc for one reason and one reason only , you are to feckin lazy and just couldnt be arsed ! It really is much easier to support arsenal etc as you dont have to actually do anything other than watch tv and maybe go to one game every season and have a nice weekend in London while you are at it . I genuinely feel sorry for you as you just dont know how great it feels to follow a team from your town / city , to stand on the terraces each week with family members giving it loads for your team .. If you are lucky enough to bring half of your town to a cup final in lansdowne ! What a day , what a game ! Best feeling ive ever had in my life . The celebrations after winning the league etc , the lows after getting relegated etc etc . These are the things that are shared in the community of LOI supporters that make it special to us and you will never understand them unless you get involved . Standard of football my arse ! I watch match of the day like the next man and the majority of it can be pure ****e ! My brother in Law is a Bolton Wanderers season ticket holder ( Hes actually from Bolton ) and he has been to some LOI matches with me over the years and enjoyed the experience bigtime , much more real and a better atmosphere he reckoned .

The issue isn't about people supporting EPL teams. Its about them not supporting LOI teams and the damage its doing to the National team.
    I've watched LOI matches, and in my opinion the majority of them (the ones I watched) were painful viewing. The same way I've been to countless Junior soccer matches over the years to support lads I know and the majority of them are hard to watch.

I'm well entitled to that opinion, the same way you're well entitled to you opinion on the LOI.

If people hadn't opinions, there would be no such thing as message boards.

Do you find the current Irish team pleasurable viewing?
    Am, no!

I know exactly what it feels like to support a team from my own town, and have traveled the length and breadth of the county (and country) supporting them, giving my blood, sweat and tears playing for and supporting them and coaching younger teams within the club also. It's not a soccer club though, it's a hurling club. They don't play at a great standard, but their my team and I wouldn't dare follow anyone else. I've being involved with them since I was 5 years of age.

Why should I support a LOI team 30 miles away? just because someone on the internet says I should?

Just because you follow the LOI and a LOI team, don't make assumptions that other people are too lazy to follow it. Your real local team is your local junior soccer team. Go support them, and support the real grassroots 'football' in this country.

Your once again missing the point. By standing at the side of a field you aren't financially supporting grassroots football. You're watching it for free.

It's the same way that me watching a Junior D team doesn't contribute financially to the development of grassroots GAA, whereas punters at a National League game do.
    Yes but theres a difference between the two look at the population off England compared to ours no matter what the LOI will never ever reach that standard, it might be sad to admit but that is fact. Plus its easy to pick one line in almost any post and make an argument out of it, if you want to have a debate at least take the time to address the whole post.

Croatia and Uruguay are small countries with strong domestic leagues. Why can't we?
    True and that is a fair question but see I started supporting Arsenal in my youth when they had a high enough standard of football my first lasting memory being Alan Smiths goal in the cup winner cup, now as has been mentioned by one LOI supporter on here you can piut that down to good marketing by Sky and EPL, not sure at that age if I was even aware of LOI plus not being taken to games as a kid I dont feel an affiliation with any of the clubs in LOI and its not going to start happening now.

As for Arsenal because I have supported them my whole life I will always support them regardless of relegation etc.

I'd say Leeds fans from ten years ago would say the same thing.
    Maybe I could be wrong on that one, but being from Clondalkin I dont know one person who follows Rovers, as among people I know or associate with there seen as a Tallaght club and not representive of our area, I know one or two who will half support Pats but thats due to playing for them at junior levels, which a lot from my area did at underage levels.

So you can't support Rovers because they aren't local enough? But a team from North London, 300 miles away from you is?

Supporting a LOI team and an EPL team are compatible. Look at two LOI club forums.

http://www.shelschat.com/chat/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=7602e90a91b21bc9499c561c8686f6d1

http://www.thebohs.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18

Both have topics about British teams.

However that does not take away from the fact that these British clubs are no longer developing Irish players. And this point is illustrated by our miserly showing at the Euros.
    If you want a more successful national team your €10/15 into Richmond Park is directly contributing to the development of the next Paul McGrath or Keith Fahey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Madworld wrote: »
    So you can't support Rovers because they aren't local enough? But a team from North London, 300 miles away from you is?

Supporting a LOI team and an EPL team are compatible. Look at two LOI club forums.

http://www.shelschat.com/chat/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=7602e90a91b21bc9499c561c8686f6d1

http://www.thebohs.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18

Both have topics about British teams.

However that does not take away from the fact that these British clubs are no longer developing Irish players. And this point is illustrated by our miserly showing at the Euros.
    If you want a more successful national team your €10/15 into Richmond Park is directly contributing to the development of the next Paul McGrath or Keith Fahey.

Ill respond to this part of your mesage due to the fact it was the part aimed at me, for the love of god man ive gone over and over and over and over the reasons why I dont follow a local team ill refer you back to my previous posts for your answer, they were well thought out responses that have already answered the questions you just posed in mulitple and detailed clear ways. Accept them its the truth.

Some Irish players are from LOI but to say theres none being developed in England is absurd for example what about Conor Henderson at Arsenal whos thought of very highly by Wenger? Or the numerous players at Aston Villa?

Some like Mclean leave it late but theres a lot who get picked up early, and putting our performances in the Euros down to the players is one knee jerk reaction these are the same players who helped us qualify, and there are plenty of players at Traps disposal who he also hasnt utilised, so get a grip of yourself before you start saying our poor showing was down to the players and players alone a lot of it had to do with managment but if you want to make yourself feel better by blaming it on me for not attending LOI games then go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

barone wrote: »
    fcuk all of ye begrudgers because drunk or not, we were being hammerd of the park and our fans still owned the fcking stadium..

fair fcuks to them for giving it their all and lets not forget..spending money to go there and do it !!

no fighting,singing and dancing and giving our own countrys football and good reputation even if we are actually pretty bad at the game right now.

long may it coninue
    Not quite the language I would put it, but we are in the same "mentality" pardon the pun.

When I go to matches or competitions in football and other sports, I give whole heartily support to my team to inspire them to performed and console them when they lose and encourage them to play better next time. On the first two matches our players knew they played badly. If the Players were deluding themselves thinking that they played ok, I would let them know in non abusive manner. The thing is, They did know, So I will do as a fan and support do my best from the sidelines to keep encouraging them to play better.

As a Fan and Supporter, I support my Team, win, lose or Draw no matter how good or bad the team skills or if they are playing badly. Throwing abuse and/or sparking off violence is self defeating for our team and for our large band of supporters. I am proud of the fact We not like the thugs from England or mainland Europe where violence and throwing abuse and racial hatred is part of their football culture for supporting their Team.

I am proud of the Irish Fans behaviour and the local people in Poznan and Gdansk were proud to have us there. The day the FAI allows violence and abuse into our league and National team games go unpunished, will be the day I will never support soccer/football again.

I do not mind people positivity criticising the manager, the players, the selection, the tactics as everybody have the right to a point of view, no matter how nuts I think that opinion is. The main problem is minority "so call supporters" abuse others supporters for not agreeing with their views and dishing outright abuse and violence to everybody who disagree with them.

I feel sad for those who throw abuse at others for having different views. They embarrass their country, their club, their families and all those around them.

I witness one so call Irish supporter on the tram to the Italian game on Monday evening roaring to another fan to shut up with enough furious anger for the cops to arrest him for breach of the peace. He was luckily there was none around. Other Irish fans ignore him when he tried to talk to them, leaving him isolated. If he has responded to the other fan that he disagree with that view in an non abusive manner, that would have been fine, and he would not have been left with an isolated lonely feeling. The Atmosphere was jovial up to then.

There was another abuser another so called fan throwing insults about every player through the game who flew out to that game only. He is in his late 50's or early 60's. He wasted his time and money in which he deluded himself that our team was not better than he realise and return his support in the form of abuse rather than going home. We were in the upper Stand so far away from the players that no way the people in the front row of the upper stand could hear him never mind the players. I am glad those people are in the minority in the great green army of fans.

I will and continue to support my Team and country with the best of my ability through the torrid bad times as it too easy to jump on the band wagons when things were good, as I am well aware before this Euros that we were very luckily to be there and I was not deluded that our team is full of great players and neither was I deluded that we would beat the best in the world, while in my heart would love that and would be ecstatic if we did. I rather support players who want to play for our team and give a damn about it. That mean more to me than have all the worlds best players playing for Ireland. I will sing my heart out for my Team to encourage them to play better with all their heart and might.

At the end of the Ireland V Spain game, I was proud and hearten to sing the sad famine song "the fields of Athenry" at the end of the game, because I knew and could see the disappoint and anger within the players at their own performance. Like other supporters, I wanted our players to lift their game for the Italian game and to move on from this heavy defeat.

Polish people were great hosts and I am proud of the behaviour of our fans while in Poland, even though there were lots of sunshine supporters their too, to support our national team. There were also lots of sunshine supporters in the Spanish and Italians camps too as I met them and was surprise of so few supporters from those nations in comparisons to ours numbers at the Euros to support their National Teams.

I met Polish people who said they were nervous of fan violence and abuse in their home city that is associate with Football. After the Croatia and Ireland game they told me they were delighted to dress up in green and bring their kids out to enjoy the atmosphere of the Irish fans even though Ireland played poorly, they were very happy to support us Irish and they felt for us when we lost. I enjoyed my time in Poland even the rivalry singing fests with the Croats in Poznan, despite the very disappointing results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Is there a Premier League team in Mayo? Surely you have more of an affiliation with a Galway or Sligo man than with the likes of a Manc or Liverpudlian?

... We are going wildly off-topic but anyway...

As I said in another thread I'm going to check out a few places and see who I like. I don't think we can apply the local team aspect to LOI though because so much of the country doesn't have a team. I guess I'll never be a "real" fan to some people but that doesn't bother me.

I follow Newcastle in the EPL. Why? Because I got to know them when I was younger. Sky sports, Monday Night Football, good season after promotion etc, it was excitement, entertainment. I was indoctrinated into supporting them. Now at the same time where was LOI in Mayo? I have no idea - no publicity, no reaching out to youngsters down here. How's a kid going to get to a LOI match 100km+ away from this area? He's not going to be able, simple as that. We can watch our local clubs alright, Glenhest Rovers / Achill Rovers / Castlebar Celtic - but without paying someone money we wont be contributing.

The key is to get them when there young. And it's LOI's responsibility to do that. In my opinion the clubs should become like counties, ideally all-ireland, with perhaps two in Dublin (North/South) and Antrim (East/West Belfast). Get the rest of the teams to pool their resources (if there is 2+ in another town) Then have 3 divisions with 14-12-12 in each.

If Co. Mayo FC set up tomorrow, I'd be at the first match.

Des wrote: »
    Not as childish of stealing the name of a well regarded poster on another, Irish, football forum.

Why'd you do it?

It's weird and stalkerish at best, downright lying at worst.

Talk about over-reacting :)
    What has it got to do with the thread topic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Did I hear somebody say Irish fans are disgrace?

Oh look more shame!

ballsdotie.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Makes me sick to my stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Those Polish people are fakes. I bet none of them have ever been to a LOI game. Best fans my arse.

Lumbo wrote: »
    Those Polish people are fakes. I bet none of them have ever been to a LOI game. Best fans my arse.
    They proably don't even know let alone care who Finn Harps are :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Oh look more shame!

ballsdotie.jpg

are these lads out there working for the tourist board then?

Fair play to the fans for giving their support, but it stops there. They won't be seen for dust when they get home.

Its painfully to the small hardcore section of the support (be it Man utd fans or LOI fans) to see our national team handicapped by a lack of real interest in the game at home.

To criticise irish fans for singing their hearts out is nonsense. Nobody is. And don't try to claim thats the issue.

The real issue is the lack of giving a f*ck as to why we will never be competitive in a a tournament like this.

Theres a real attitude of "Ah sure if the world thinks we are great fans, that will make up for us being a sh*te team". It has nothing to do with football.

Irish fans are second to none at turning up at the party. and when they do everyone has a better time. But the majority genuinely don't seem to give a flying f*ck about the bigger picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the amount of shoulder chips and begrudgery in this thread is laughable. what ever about the clowns with their cabbages and their hats, the image of this country has went up 10 fold after the past week. our team was s*it, nothing we can do to change that, but at least there is something positive to talk about.

would ye rather that we were croatian getting done for racism? or german getting done for abusive chants and crowd trouble? or russian for kicking stewards in the head?

no, a few lads get a good reputation for the country, good publicity and people still complain. its f*cking bitterness.

and for those with their "those are not real fans" attitude, there was as many lads there who play/support the LOI and grass routes (junior/intermediate etc etc) as their was bandwagon jumpers. every team, every club has them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

no, a few lads get a good reputation for the country, good publicity and people still complain. its f*cking bitterness.

No, they didn't get a good reputation for the country. Singing loudly and merrily doesn't give you a good reputation. It's all just attention seeking, and a superiority complex.

Would people ever stop trying to make out like Irish people are so amazing and superior to others? Suppose I want to go to a game and watch my team play, does that somehow make me less of a fan? Does that make my "reputation" less than someone singing all the time?

And being proud of being Irish is stupid. Okay I won't go there lest the undecided turn against my post. But I assure you that Spanish, German, Dutch supporters are very passionate and good fans also. And whether the Irish team do well or not has nothing to do with it anyway. The people in Faroe Islands aren't all lamers just because of their football team. People should watch football to see players working together as a team. Sure a bit of national "pride" at times is fine, though you're not meant to take it so seriously.

tl; dr: Stop pretending that Ireland and Irish people are special. Sure the media and news help promote this brainwashing, it's all nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

the amount of shoulder chips and begrudgery in this thread is laughable. what ever about the clowns with their cabbages and their hats, the image of this country has went up 10 fold after the past week. our team was s*it, nothing we can do to change that, but at least there is something positive to talk about.

would ye rather that we were croatian getting done for racism? or german getting done for abusive chants and crowd trouble? or russian for kicking stewards in the head?

and for those with their "those are not real fans" attitude, there was as many lads there who play/support the LOI and grass routes (junior/intermediate etc etc) as their was bandwagon jumpers. every team, every club has them.

So you counted them then?

The bones of peoples complaints is not that Irish fans arent good supporters, its the fact we're taking Irish fans behaviour as some huge positive. Irish fans have always been great, I didnt expect anything different. Shouldn't be applauded for not being racist or kicking stewards in the head either by the way. There's plenty of begrudgery the other way too by the way. Plenty of 'we'll do what we want and get pissed' which isn't even addressing the point. Lot of people seem to think Keane said something about Irish supporters = oh that means he was criticising them......they all hate Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Did I hear somebody say Irish fans are disgrace?

Quote 10 or so posters claiming Irish fans disgraced themselves in Poland please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

No, they didn't get a good reputation for the country. Singing loudly and merrily doesn't give you a good reputation. It's all just attention seeking, and a superiority complex.

Would people ever stop trying to make out like Irish people are so amazing and superior to others? Suppose I want to go to a game and watch my team play, does that somehow make me less of a fan? Does that make my "reputation" less than someone singing all the time?

And being proud of being Irish is stupid. Okay I won't go there lest the undecided turn against my post. But I assure you that Spanish, German, Dutch supporters are very passionate and good fans also. And whether the Irish team do well or not has nothing to do with it anyway. The people in Faroe Islands aren't all lamers just because of their football team. People should watch football to see players working together as a team. Sure a bit of national "pride" at times is fine, though you're not meant to take it so seriously.

tl; dr: Stop pretending that Ireland and Irish people are special. Sure the media and news help promote this brainwashing, it's all nonsense.

I bet you get a lot of party invitations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

the amount of shoulder chips and begrudgery in this thread is laughable. what ever about the clowns with their cabbages and their hats, the image of this country has went up 10 fold after the past week.

How do you come to that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Zebra3 wrote: »

Have a look at the video on the previous page. There was no parade for Italian supporters on Monday in the square. There was one for Irish fans and another on Tuesday. The people of Poznan were genuinely impressed by our fans behaviour even if some in our own country weren't.

Sing when we're losing
    We only sing when we're losing

COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Lumbo wrote: »
    Have a look at the video on the previous page. There was no parade for Italian supporters on Monday in the square. There was one for Irish fans and another on Tuesday. The people of Poznan were genuinely impressed by our fans behaviour even if some in our own country weren't.

I'm interested though in his/her conclusion that people's opinion of Ireland has increased "ten fold".

Something to actually back the claim up.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Highlight of my trip was explaining to a Spanish Saragossa fan why Sligo Rovers weren't in the Champions league (I know we didnt win the league but saying we are top of the league got lost in translation). We have fantastic fans, best in the world, I dont know I haven't met them all yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The fans were great ambassadors for the country. Fair play to them!

• Advertisement

German ZDF TV gives tributes to Irish Fans.
    http://thescore.thejournal.ie/euro-2012-german-tv-zdf-tribute-irish-fans-fields-of-athenry-492766-Jun2012/
    The partying Irish were poles apart say hosts

http://www.herald.ie/news/the-partying-irish-were-poles-apart-say-hosts-3144128.html
    POLAND waved goodbye to Ireland last night with a flashmob singing The Fields of Athenry.
    THE tournament hosts were sorry to see the Irish team crash out and 30,000 fans fly home.
    Local officials last night contacted the FAI in the hope of getting the Irish team to appear on stage at the main fanzone, but perhaps unsurprisingly the offer was declined.
    Massive media attention in Poland has focused on the Irish support in the wake of the Spanish game.
    Poznan's Deputy Mayor Thomas Kayser told the Herald: "Everybody in Poznan says that we were so lucky to get the fans from Ireland. People love them in the city."
    As the campervans pulled out this morning, fans said they will back. Already there is a speculation that Ireland could be invited back to play Poland in a friendly later in the year.
    Ireland's Ambassador to Poland, Eugene Hutchinson, said: "We're getting an excellent response from the Polish people and media. The locals have been left breathless by the enthusiasm of the Irish fans. They have performed and behaved so well."
    And fans on the ground say that the Poland has done itself proud.
    Alison Ginty (22) from Knocklyon and Stephen Jones (26) told how a Polish couple came to their rescue after they were stranded at a train station late at night.
    "We were in Gdansk enjoying a few drinks and had to get two trains back to our accommodation, but we missed the connection.
    "There was a Polish couple who had been the fanzone earlier and saw us.
    "They invited us to their house and they put us into their kid's bedroom for the night. It was so kind of them."
    Orla Heffernan (29) from Portmarnock said: "It's absolutely brilliant. All the Poles are singing the Irish songs. Everybody we have talked to says they will come back on holidays."
    Liz Heffernan (35) from Castleknock described the 'goodbye flashmob' as "a really lovely gesture".
    "Win, lose or draw - or lose, lose, lose, as we do -- we will sing. The amount of people saying they will come back on holidays is amazing," she said.
    Pauline Clifford (32) from Templelogue said: "I thought that they were so friendly. We got lost in Sopot and a guy spent 20 minutes helping us to find where we needed to go.
    "We couldn't have got a better welcome."

180218_4140465267752_197564948_n-large.jpg

At 3pm on the day of the Italy and Ireland game the locals says their thanks. I was there and most of those people where Polish dress up in Irish colours with Irish mixed in between.
    Euro 2012 - Poznań thanks the Irish!

Even the BBC commented about the polish media taking about the Irish fans.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/schoolreport/18504058

bohsman wrote: »
    Quote 10 or so posters claiming Irish fans disgraced themselves in Poland please.

Why 10?

Why not 20 or 30?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Zebra3 wrote: »

Well 100s of million people will watch the finals and when they see the irish support and what people think of the people, they might think to themselves i'd like to visit there. How can that be a bad thing.

Well, it's none of my business what others find important and who they like or what they get up to in their spare time. But they shouldn't think we're all "proud" of Irish fans or think Irish fans are "the best fans in the world". They don't represent me in any way, "ambassadors" my arse.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/blogs/low-lie-the-fields-of-tremendous-support-by-irish-football-fans/524469

Low Lie The Fields of Tremendous Support by Irish Football Fans

20120615145700500.jpg Irish soccer fan cheers before their Group C Euro 2012 soccer match against Spain at PGE Arena in Gdansk, Thursday. (Reuters Photo/Kai Pfaffenbach).
    If you watched the last 10 minutes of Spain-Ireland match early Friday morning, your waning faith in football must have been renewed.

If you had become disillusioned by how commercial football has gone, how the violence has tainted the image of football, how racism has made its way back to the world of football, then hearing how the Irish fans sending the team off with a rousing rendition of Irish folk ballad "The Fields of Athenry" was a rejuvenation.

Having been 4 goals down, Ireland was outclassed and outplayed by the world champions. There was no sign of a comeback, not even a hint of a consolation goal. With 5 minutes to go, elimination from the first major tournament in a decade was guaranteed, but the Irish fans chose to go out of the competition unbowed. From the 85th minute onwards, the Irish fans sang the chorus of "The Fields of Athenry" unceasingly, intermediating their team’s early exit in the hands of Spain.

Seeing this kind of sight bears an element of surrealism, even the commentators halted the commentary for a while to give the spectators a moment to enjoy the Irish fans. The song is popular among Irish sports supporters, but that night "The Fields of Athenry" almost sounded like a requiem, a majestic one, that tingled spines of those who saw it. The Irish team didn't do much on the pitch but the fans made sure that they’re going out with their heads held high.

None should be taken away from Spain’s performance. It was a signature tiki-taka display by the reigning European champions, but one that will be fondly remembered from this match in years to come is the fans. The neutrals who saw the heartbreaking sight wished they were Irish and it’s not even a St. Patrick’s Day.

As the song blared all over the stadium and the image of thousands of Irish standing proud in the face of defeat transmitted all over the world, suddenly everybody was reminded of what football loyalty is all about.

Having witnessed in person some football-related violence recently, I’ve become a little bit disgusted with football fanaticism. When the images of the clash between Polish and Russian fans spread on the Internet a fortnight ago, I felt nothing but utter sickness seeing how the hooligans kicking their opponent who laid on the ground, covering his head from further damage. Then I saw blood and fallen bodies. Some people on Twitter reckoned that it’s a very “football” thing to attack your opposing fans. It’s not. Some things only look better in films and books. I don't have an appetite for some "Green Street" actions and other hooligan traits.

The world of football also sees the increased numbers of racial abuse cases lately and some of them have occurred in Euro. The tournament had not even begun when the black players in the Netherlands team were reported to receive racial chants by the spectators during training session. Czech fullback, Gebre Selassie, was also reported to be racially abused during the game against Russia. Monkey chants were heard every time the player, who has an Ethiopian father, touched the ball.

There’s no room for violence and racism. They should not be tolerated. How sad it is to see some people try to defend these disgusting things behind the mask of football loyalty. Football has nothing to do with violence and racism. And being loyal football fans should not be associated with aggressiveness.

The Irish has shown what it is like to be loyal and how to take a beating graciously.

Oh how I would love to see the same thing happens in our local football scene. We don't have to be taught about the former for we have been backing our national team during the dark period of Indonesian football, but we could use a lesson or two from the Irish about being congenial when things don't go our way.

When I hear so many brutal stories about bad fan behaviours, it so sad and horrible. Stories like this from the other side of the world in a different culture, speaking with admiration of the Irish Fans. gives more me more pride and fondness for our fans than I already have in us Irish Fans.

We have given the world a breath space and renew hope in Football/Soccer and given it it back some hope.

Here a quote from a Canadian Newspaper

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Sports/Soccer/Irish+fans+show+world+winning+spirit/6794398/story.html

6794494.bin

There is nothing quite like an Irish fan, and now the whole world knows it.

Photograph by: KAI PFAFFENBACH , REUTERS

No matter what happens from here on, I have already tucked away my most memorable moment of Euro 2012.
    It has a great deal to do with what went down on the field, but nothing to do with the soccer. At least, nothing you might think we should cheer about.
    On Thursday night in Gdansk, Ireland was handed a soccer lesson by the imperious Spanish, who put together an astonishing 859 passes in strolling to a 4-0 victory. The Irish were outplayed in every area of the game. Although they battled to the end, every one of them, they were outclassed.
    But not in the stands, no sir. There is nothing quite like an Irish fan, and now the whole world knows it. The supporters’ performance on Thursday is a YouTube hit. Emerald green is everywhere. Their smiling faces, their laughter and their singing are bursting out at us.
    And they lost.
    Boy, did they lose.
    Their intent was obvious before the opening whistle sounded, although it might have been a little too cheeky to chant “ole, ole, ole” when their heavily favoured opponents came from Spain. As it turned out, it was equally ill judged to chant, “You’ll never beat the Irish,” early in the game when Simon Cox got a shot on target. They didn’t get the chance to chant that again.
    Almost inevitably, Spanish goals began to arrive, four of them in the end.
    The Irish players tried their best. They ran and ran, and then ran some more. However, it was never going to be enough. But they wouldn’t give up, and it was with three minutes left in the game that something absolutely remarkable happened.
    One section of fans began to sing The Fields of Athenry, an Irish folk ballad set during the Great Irish Famine in the mid 1800s. The story tells of Michael from Athenry in County Galway who has been sentenced to be transported to Botany Bay, Australia, for stealing food for his starving family.
    It’s a song about being stoic in the face of suffering that became a fan favourite back at the 1990 World Cup and is now a regular with Irish soccer and rugby fans.
    Certainly, in that Polish stadium on Thursday, the Irish were suffering. Certainly they had to be stoic. But, if nothing else, the Irish love to sing, and nothing was going to silence their voices. As the final minutes ticked away, The Fields of Athenry got louder and louder until there couldn’t have been a single silent Irish fan.
    Every other sound — even commentary on some TV and radio stations, by all accounts — was drowned out. The dribbling end to the game was all but forgotten, and the singing continued as the downhearted and weary men in green trudged from the field.
    Today, the music has been drowned out by something else remarkable.
    This time it’s the voices of sports lovers around the world wanting to sing praises of perhaps the greatest example of fan support yet seen.
    At his post-match news conference, Spain’s coach, Vicente de Bosque, had to comment. “The Irish fans have shown us what football really is,” he said.
    Back in Dublin, the country’s Football Association put out a special tribute to its fans. “The atmosphere our supporters generated in the stadium was phenomenal and has brought great pride to our country.”

And the association’s chief executive, John Delaney, called them “a credit to the game and to our country.”
    The Internet has been flooded with appreciative awe by fans from other countries. YouTube is full of singing videos. Wherever you look, the message seems to be that they may have been beaten on the field, but the Irish showed the rest of us exactly how fans should behave.
    No racist chanting, no vitriolic filth that comes from some quarters, just plenty of smiling faces and an unequivocal love for your country shining through.
    I wonder how Roy Keane, one-time playing hero for this country, will be regarded after this.
    His was the most vociferous dissenting voice. Perhaps the only one.
    Speaking as a pundit on ITV, the English television station, he said: “We’re a small country, we’re up against it, but let’s not just go along for the sing-song every now and again … It’s just nonsense from players speaking after the games about how great the supporters are.”
    Keane, a hard man on the field, has always spoken his mind, and we have to assume he believes the Irish attitude is one of acceptance that they are not good enough. That’s anathema to this man.
    Maybe there is a kernel of the truth to what he believes, but now is not the time.
    The Green Army is quite likely the best ambassador its country has ever seen. Right at this moment, the world loves them. And that, in the absence of an ability to compete on the field, is something worth hanging onto.

When other people from all over the world from different cultures and in consensuses says we the best fans in the world, then we must be Right??

Why 10?

Why not 20 or 30?

Because I haven't seen anyone on here claim the fans were a disgrace.

• Advertisement

Well, it's none of my business what others find important and who they like or what they get up to in their spare time. But they shouldn't think we're all "proud" of Irish fans or think Irish fans are "the best fans in the world". They don't represent me in any way, "ambassadors" my arse.

Contradict yourself much.
    So your saying that people aren't allowed to think a certain way about a subject that is none of your business.
    Ok :rolleyes:

Because I haven't seen anyone on here claim the fans were a disgrace.

You be wrong.

You be wrong.

Figured there might be one, that's why I asked for more examples, otherwise the posts on here are ridiculously ott. There's a middle ground between believing that Irish people are the bestest football fans in the world and thinking that fans should be into violence to be considered good or that Irish people disgraced themselves in Poland.

Contradict yourself much.
    So your saying that people aren't allowed to think a certain way about a subject that is none of your business.
    Ok :rolleyes:

No, if they like singing and some other people of other countries liked them that's fair enough. But they shouldn't think that everyone in Ireland is glad for them or "proud" of them. It's a minor embarrassment to me to be singing merrily when you're 3-0 down and it's not even close to the end of the game.

Figured there might be one, that's why I asked for more examples, otherwise the posts on here are ridiculously ott. There's a middle ground between believing that Irish people are the bestest football fans in the world and thinking that fans should be into violence to be considered good or that Irish people disgraced themselves in Poland.

Well only had to look at first couple pages to see the first one about us disgracing the country. That poster got plenty of thanks so I presumed they agree with him.

I agree with what you say in general though.

I mean we have not really got many suggestion as to what the Irish fans should have done and when they have they been comical.

I mean we have wacky ideas like the Irish fans should have went onto the pitch and get players jerseys taken off them which would have resulted in us being kicked out(brought up by another poster).

Then we have had people saying we should have booed the team or my favourite one is that we should have went home depressed instead of singing.

Nothing logical, but just daft bitterness from people who just want to moan about something for sake of it.

• Advertisement

No, if they like singing and some other people of other countries liked them that's fair enough. But they shouldn't think that everyone in Ireland is glad for them or "proud" of them. It's a minor embarrassment to me to be singing merrily when you're 3-0 down and it's not even close to the end of the game.

Why is it embarrassing? Should they all just have sat there saying nothing or roll out a round of boos when Ireland gave the ball away.

This really only came about in the Spain game right? A game we were outclassed in and had no chance of winning. If people want to show they're still proud of the team even though they're being beaten,what's the harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I wonder how many of the foreign people praising the Irish supporters would be genuinely surprised to know how few support clubs in their own country. That's a serious question, not taking the pIss. Most of the countries praising the Irish have strong domestic scenes with loyal support so you would assume they would find the anomaly strange.

For the Poles, it would be like rabid supporters of the national team all supporting German teams which even people in here must not fail to see the irony in.

I know all the English, Polish and Spanish lads in my job find it a bit strange as they all assumed the loyalty in the international scene would translate to local clubs.

stovelid wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the foreign people praising the Irish supporters would be genuinely surprised to know how few support clubs in their own country. That's a serious question, not taking the pIss. Most of the countries praising the Irish have strong domestic scenes with loyal support so you would assume they would find the anomaly strange.

For the Poles, it would be like rabid supporters of the national team all supporting Germany which even people in here must not fail to see te irony in.

I know all the Polish and Spanish lads in my job find it a bit strange as they all assumed the loyalty in the international scene would translate to local clubs.

Got to know few Brazilian lads and when they asked me who I supported they were surprised to hear Irish team being mentioned in there cause they found it funny also or strange even.

Yet proper Man Utd fans don't think Ireland has the best fans in the world. :rolleyes:

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184046

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It wasn't clubs playing out there! It was the Republic of Ireland. And they were Republic of Ireland supporters!

stovelid wrote: »

For the Poles, it would be like rabid supporters of the national team all supporting German teams which even people in here must not fail to see the irony in.

I know all the English, Polish and Spanish lads in my job find it a bit strange as they all assumed the loyalty in the international scene would translate to local clubs.

They probably have better things to be worrying about tbh.

Let the begrudgers and folks with chips on the shoulders worry about that.

Nor do many fans of the last big "Irish Club"

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=710342

monkey9 wrote: »
    It wasn't clubs playing out there! It was the Republic of Ireland. And they were Republic of Ireland supporters!

Exactly.

You'd swear only people who follow a LOI club are entitled to go to an Ireland match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yet proper Man Utd fans don't think Ireland has the best fans in the world. :rolleyes:

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184046
    Turns out its not only LOI fans with a chip on our shoulder.

Nor do many fans of the last big "Irish Club"

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=710342

And they say RAWK is bad !

• Advertisement
Advertisement