Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well 100s of million people will watch the finals and when they see the irish support and what people think of the people, they might think to themselves i'd like to visit there. How can that be a bad thing.

oh but sure, those pesky Germans, Dutch, Danish and Chinese wont go to Tolka or Inchicore, so they are no good to the country...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

oh but sure, those pesky Germans, Dutch, Danish and Chinese wont go to Tolka or Inchicore, so they are no good to the country...
    I see plenty of tourists at Tolka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

stovelid wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the foreign people praising the Irish supporters would be genuinely surprised to know how few support clubs in their own country. That's a serious question, not taking the pIss. Most of the countries praising the Irish have strong domestic scenes with loyal support so you would assume they would find the anomaly strange.

For the Poles, it would be like rabid supporters of the national team all supporting German teams which even people in here must not fail to see the irony in.

I know all the English, Polish and Spanish lads in my job find it a bit strange as they all assumed the loyalty in the international scene would translate to local clubs.

Either lots of Poles support German teams or just support don't bother going to the local games of teams they support. From two years ago the average attendence was 10k for their 38m population - hardly a great figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Either lots of Poles support German teams or just support don't bother going to the local games of teams they support. From two years ago the average attendence was 10k for their 38m population - hardly a great figure.

Is serious violence not a problem there at matches?

What is the LOI like in general for the 'firms' aka hard chaws in a gang? Any of that crap? Is the Bohs Rovers thing just a unique event.

That is a UEFA category A game, or at least it used to be.

Is serious violence not a problem there at matches?

What is the LOI like in general for the 'firms' aka hard chaws in a gang? Any of that crap? Is the Bohs Rovers thing just a unique event.

That is a UEFA category A game, or at least it used to be.
    There is bits of handbags here and there, occasionally. Teenagers being knackers though, rather than in England and Europe where there are some really dangerous ****ers. Compared to the rest of Europe, it is nothing though.

CSF wrote: »
    I see plenty of tourists at Tolka.

so surely you will agree then that if 100k extra people came to ireland on the back of our fans behaviour in the last 2 weeks, as opposed to maybe going to croatia, germany or russia, that maybe that has benifits for local football also?

when i seen some people jumping up and down infront of the camera on the big screen inside the stadium laughing and joking i will admit i did cringe...those people are clowns, no doubt about that and i think they are the main reason so many people are against the praise.

however, people need to realise that out of 30k people, you will always get clowns and we probably had 10% of our supporters in that bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

To some games I have been to in Eastern Europe Bohs/Rovers is like get together of people going to Lourdes.

so surely you will agree then that if 100k extra people came to ireland on the back of our fans behaviour in the last 2 weeks, as opposed to maybe going to croatia, germany or russia, that maybe that has benifits for local football also?

when i seen some people jumping up and down infront of the camera on the big screen inside the stadium laughing and joking i will admit i did cringe...those people are clowns, no doubt about that and i think they are the main reason so many people are against the praise.

however, people need to realise that out of 30k people, you will always get clowns and we probably had 10% of our supporters in that bracket.
    Of course I would agree with that. I don't think that 100k extra will actually happen, but if that eventually did occur, it would be excellent.

There is bits of handbags here and there, occasionally. Teenagers being knackers though, rather than in England and Europe where there are some really dangerous ****ers. Compared to the rest of Europe, it is nothing though.

I would say eradicating that would be important. Even if it just the posing. One problem in Ireland is the fact that there is no segregation in the GAA. It creates a bad image in people's minds that soccer fans HAVE to be segregated.

Personally I think segregated fans give a better atmosphere but fans should be able to mingle outside the games. Tis a small country after all.

• Advertisement

I would say eradicating that would be important. Even if it just the posing. One problem in Ireland is the fact that there is no segregation in the GAA. It creates a bad image in people's minds that soccer fans HAVE to be segregated.

Personally I think segregated fans give a better atmosphere but fans should be able to mingle outside the games. Tis a small country after all.
    I don't think you can completely eradicate it anywhere, where we have it now is as good as you're probably going to get it anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well 100s of million people will watch the finals and when they see the irish support and what people think of the people, they might think to themselves i'd like to visit there. How can that be a bad thing.

I didn't say it was a bad thing. So why are you saying that? :confused:

One poster claimed that Ireland had gone up ten fold in people's minds.

I'm asking him/her to prove his/her claim.

But he/she can't.

I think GAA fans running on to the pitch trying to batter the ref at Croker is a terrible, terrible thing.

Makes me sick actually. I really wish GAA fans could go and watch their team and not need to resort to such violence.

I don't think you can completely eradicate it anywhere, where we have it now is as good as you're probably going to get it anywhere.

I think you can. You'll get a crowd saying it doesn't exist in GAA. It most certainly does. And it doesn't have to be big city centric counties either. What you do get at some of the LOI games I've been to are little packs of feral shïtes acting the hard man. It is not an atmosphere conducive to bringing a family. T breed loyaly in a club it has to be instilled young. The atmosphere is usually quite good but these little wànkers intimidate and generally give off a vibe that is quite nasty. Put it up to them and they'd brown themselves. It is a tiny, tiny minority but unfortunately a visible one. That needs to be stamped out for starts, no ifs ands or buts.

Edit for Zebra3. I've stated above about the GAA situation. Go down to any rural parish and you'll hear of an assault on an official. I've witnessed one from a minor Mae I played in back when Christ was a child and in a senior championship match about two years ago I had to physical restrain a pillar of the community from attacking a ref in a game we, the players, threw away!

I think you can. You'll get a crowd saying it doesn't exist in GAA. It most certainly does. And it doesn't have to be big city centric counties either. What you do get at the games I've been to are little packs of feral shïtes acting the hard man. It is not an atmosphere conducive to bringing a family. T breed loyaly in a club it has to be instilled young. The atmosphere is usually quite good but these little wànkers intimidate and generally give off a vibe that is quite nasty. Put it up to them and they'd brown themselves. It is a tiny, tiny minority but unfortunately a visible one. That needs to be stamped out for starts, no ifs ands or buts.
    But how? It isn't even common enough to take adequate preventative measures against.

But how? It isn't even common enough to take adequate preventative measures against.

It's common enough. And what is worse it is a false construct. It's children watching Green Street and replicating it. It is visible and it is present. Little or no actual physical conflict occurs but it creates a perception that it is a greater problem.

Look I'm an irregular and I can be accused of selective comment. Fair enough. I can not rebut such a charge. However, I can report what I've seen. My sister will not allow me bring my nephew to a Rovers game for the very reason of perception. Whether she is right or wrong it is her child but it is also a supporter lost. Whether it is fair or unfair is inconsequential. The perception is real; the perception exists and it deprives Rovers of at least two supporters. I am sure this is replicated in other clubs too.

The clubs simply have to go above and beyond the limit to ensure that I could walk into any ground in the country with any jersey on with no fear of confrontation. That has to be a basic requirement. The league needs the middle class that are drawn to Rugby and GAA and it needs them badly. They have the money and they have the financial clout. That is my opinion whether you reject it or acceptit wholly or in part is of little consequence to me.

One thing the FAI did do right was the Cup final for a tenner. A fantastic day and I know of two Sligo Roers supporters who now attend regularly on the head of the first Aviva final.

• Advertisement

It's common enough. And what is worse it is a false construct. It's children watching Green Street and replicating it. It is visible and it is present. Little or no actual physical conflict occurs but it creates a perception that it is a greater problem.

Look I'm an irregular and I can be accused of selective comment. Fair enough. I can not rebut such a charge. However, I can report what I've seen. My sister will not allow me bring my nephew to a Rovers game for the very reason of perception. Whether she is right or wrong it is her child but it is also a supporter lost. Whether it is fair or unfair is inconsequential. The perception is real; the perception exists and it deprives Rovers of at least two supporters. I am sure this is replicated in other clubs too.

The clubs simply have to go above and beyond the limit to ensure that I could walk into any ground in the country with any jersey on with no fear of confrontation. That has to be a basic requirement. The league needs the middle class that are drawn to Rugby and GAA and it needs them badly. They have the money and they have the financial clout. That is my opinion whether you reject it or acceptit wholly or in part is of little consequence to me.

One thing the FAI did do right was the Cup final for a tenner. A fantastic day and I know of two Sligo Roers supporters who now attend regularly on the head of the first Aviva final.
    Considering nothing ever happens to people anyway, how could clubs make it so people don't feel like something will happen? I really don't understand.

Considering nothing ever happens to people anyway, how could clubs make it so people don't feel like something will happen? I really don't understand.

Fair enough, I suppose. if nobody sees a problem there probably is none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Teenagers shaping up to other teenagers is called society!

Fair enough, I suppose. if nobody sees a problem there probably is none.
    I'm not saying the perception doesn't exist like, but I don't get how you could do much about it when its mostly false. It is very hard to do anything about something that might happen like once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

It is quite possible that some foreign journalist has taken a google to see what the opinion of the Irish themselves is in regards to all the brilliant press we have been getting from the Polish, Spanish, Italian etc etc fans and media, not to mention numerous comments by various foreign footballers who you can safely say wish their fans had that same level of loyalty,

If said foreign journo happens across this thread, wouldnt you just be ever so slightly embarrased by the posts here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Zebra3 wrote: »

But he/she can't.

You asked someone to prove what's happening in other people's minds?

But he/she can't.

why do you keep going on about this like a child with a wet nappy?

i am not claiming anything nor do i have to proove anything, its blatantly obvious right now that people all over the world are talking about Ireland in a good sense that had no reason to do so 2 weeks ago but for some reason you are choosing to ignore it.

i assume you werent over in poland for the last 12 days cause if you were, you wouldnt be disagreeing with anybody who says that Ireland reputation has blossomed as a result of our fans behaviour. the amount of positive publicity this country has got has been incredible and considering we have spent 4 years being labelled wasters for putting this country into ruin, i think my "claim" is bang on.

If you still want proof, then start making friends in Germany, Demark, Poland and other countries all over the world and see what they are saying about us as when i came back to work yesterday all i got was positive comments from people about how all their friends and family are raving about ireland back home on levels before they never heard.

deny it if you want, i doubt many people will care too much

It is quite possible that some foreign journalist has taken a google to see what the opinion of the Irish themselves is in regards to all the brilliant press we have been getting from the Polish, Spanish, Italian etc etc fans and media, not to mention numerous comments by various foreign footballers who you can safely say wish their fans had that same level of loyalty,

If said foreign journo happens across this thread, wouldnt you just be ever so slightly embarrased by the posts here?
    No, but I'd be embarassed by yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No, they didn't get a good reputation for the country. Singing loudly and merrily doesn't give you a good reputation. It's all just attention seeking, and a superiority complex.

I actually think it shows an inferiority complex among some of the Irish.

Our team was the joint worst in the history of the tournament.

So rather than have a good hard look and the team and the management and criticise them for their failing and for their failure to live up to our demands, we instead glam on to this in-tangible concept of being 'the best fans in the world'

It's a bit like this countries previous love affair with Jordan F1 racing.
    There we were getting all excited about an engineering company, based in the UK, that just happened to be owned by a long since immigrated Meath man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Id be embarrased by the state of your oul one. Hey, if we are going to resort to childish retorts, why not.

Out of curiousity, what do you all make of fans who regard club football as nothing more than entertainment whos local pride level has become meaningless in a world where the many fans in the crowd arent from the ciy it is based in, and neither are the players.

Do you reckon that there are maybe a few people out there for who Ireland is life and death but who dont see a point in following either an English or Irish club? I started backing Liverpool because at the time they were the United antidote, I really only fell for them because I despised United. tbh if I was 10 years old today City would be my team, for the same reason, that they are now Uniteds main enemy.

And if I was 10 years old now, probably much like I was at 10 years old back in the 90s, I wouldnt actually know there was such a thing as professional Irish football clubs. I distinctly remember asking the old man why England has clubs and we dont (as I thought we didnt), the self promotion is so low that fcuk if I didnt use this forum I would forget the LOI actually exists.

Jesus, can you imagine if we ctually won the thing? "look at all those barstoolers lining the streets, muppets, none of em saw a game in their life, whats Michael D Higgins doin there never saw him shakin hands at the FAI Cup final blah blah blah"

Some LOI fans, and those from one club in particular, are an embarassment to this country.

Must be said as well, while obviously there are infrastructure/ stadium issues, this good press would do our Euro 2020 bid a massive boost.

But he/she can't.

You seem to be asking all the questions.

Where is your solution to all this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

It is quite possible that some foreign journalist has taken a google to see what the opinion of the Irish themselves is in regards to all the brilliant press we have been getting from the Polish, Spanish, Italian etc etc fans and media, not to mention numerous comments by various foreign footballers who you can safely say wish their fans had that same level of loyalty

Should be no problem for the bestest loyalist fans in the world to snap up the FAI season tickets for next season so ? ;)

I would have the Greek,Turkish or any South American fans as the best fans in the world, was i embarrassed by the singing ? No, i thought it was quite good.

d22ontour wrote: »
    Should be no problem for the bestest loyalist fans in the world to snap up the FAI season tickets for next season so ? ;)

I would have the Greek,Turkish or any South American fans as the best fans in the world, was i embarrassed by the singing ? No, i thought it was quite good.

Joke or lack of knowledge?

Id be embarrased by the state of your oul one. Hey, if we are going to resort to childish retorts, why not.

Out of curiousity, what do you all make of fans who regard club football as nothing more than entertainment whos local pride level has become meaningless in a world where the many fans in the crowd arent from the ciy it is based in, and neither are the players.

Do you reckon that there are maybe a few people out there for who Ireland is life and death but who dont see a point in following either an English or Irish club? I started backing Liverpool because at the time they were the United antidote, I really only fell for them because I despised United. tbh if I was 10 years old today City would be my team, for the same reason, that they are now Uniteds main enemy.

And if I was 10 years old now, probably much like I was at 10 years old back in the 90s, I wouldnt actually know there was such a thing as professional Irish football clubs. I distinctly remember asking the old man why England has clubs and we dont (as I thought we didnt), the self promotion is so low that fcuk if I didnt use this forum I would forget the LOI actually exists.

Jesus, can you imagine if we ctually won the thing? "look at all those barstoolers lining the streets, muppets, none of em saw a game in their life, whats Michael D Higgins doin there never saw him shakin hands at the FAI Cup final blah blah blah"

Some LOI fans, and those from one club in particular, are an embarassment to this country.

Must be said as well, while obviously there are infrastructure/ stadium issues, this good press would do our Euro 2020 bid a massive boost.
    It's certainly not the LOI fans who are an embarassment to this country. What a moronic notion. I'm a massive matchgoing Ireland fan myself, but I can understand the resentment from fans of Irish clubs.

Essentially the lifeblood is made up of those people who are responsible for the current poor state of football in this country. The FAI, and those who ignore Irish football for months and years at a time, but then suddenly decide they're massive Irish fans when it suits.

I have a lot of respect for those who go to every Ireland game, home and away, whether they support an Irish club or not, even if I don't fully understand it. Those are the exact kind of people I would expect to be there, seeing as they don't fall into the lazy category that most Irish football people do.

Joke or lack of knowledge?

For atmosphere, nothing in Europe comes close to them. Great reply all the same.

• Advertisement

For atmosphere, nothing in Europe comes close to them. Great reply all the same.

yet they both have history of violence and hooliganism?

Witnessed myself in Turkey.

Great atmosphere no doubt, but comes at price.

A lot of clubs/countries have a minority of scum who engage in that, it would be naive to tarnish all of a clubs/countries fan base because of it though.

A lot of clubs/countries have a minority of scum who engage in that, it would be naive to tarnish all of a clubs/countries fan base because of it though.

Of course, but you only have to look at England's reputation around the world for the minority to be big enough to take notice of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

This might be OT but Michael D was and is quite supportive of the LOI. He was honorary President of Galways Utd, and he was at a Rovers-Shels game earlier this season. He had to leave early but you can hardly blame him - it was a freezing night and he's of an age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

geeky wrote: »
    This might be OT but Michael D was and is quite supportive of the LOI. He was honorary President of Galways Utd, and he was at a Rovers-Shels game earlier this season. He had to leave early but you can hardly blame him - it was a freezing night and he's of an age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6f1kQDxRu4

From 1:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Could have sworn you hoped Irish football went downhill, of course you should be embarrassed.

The Michael D part of your quote is lolworthy, he is part of the LOI Brigade.

"The real test of those who like the beautiful game is to go and watch your local team"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It is not an atmosphere conducive to bringing a family. y!

In fairness, that's nonsense

Lots of families attend LOI - dozens of whom I personally know - and I will be bringing my children as soon as they are old enough. I wouldn't risk the safety of my kids if I genuinely thought games were unsafe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Some of the comments on here are ridiculous!

Firstly, the football we played was not even near good enough and the management was even worse and this HAS to be addressed straight away if we are to have any realistic chance of challenging on the International stage.

As for the fans, who even cares if we are the best fans in the World or not? For me anyways, it was not about being the best or singing the loudest, it was about a sense of unity and togetherness amongst just about everyone that I met over there. It was like we were all one big family. The kindness and respect shown to us by the locals in Poznan was overwhelming at times as both young and old and male and female joined in with the singing and dancing. As they sung our songs and we sang theirs, I really felt at home over there and it was an experience that will never be forgotten.

I think you really had to be there to get an accurate understanding of what went on as its hard to put it into words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

It is not an atmosphere conducive to bringing a family.

Tell that to the many families who go to Tallaght to watch Rovers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

looder wrote: »
    ...Is there any country with a population under 5 million with a strong domestic league? Not that I can think of anyway.
    Denmark,
    Finland
    Slovakia
    Norway
    Croatia
    Uruguay
    to name a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    Denmark,
    Finland
    Slovakia

Norway
    Croatia
    Uruguay
    to name a few

There'll all above 5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Madworld wrote: »

Michael D, the President who does us proud. Hope he gets another term.

You asked someone to prove what's happening in other people's minds?

Well, that someone is claiming to know what's in other people's minds. :rolleyes:
    why do you keep going on about this like a child with a wet nappy?

i am not claiming anything nor do i have to proove anything, its blatantly obvious right now that people all over the world are talking about Ireland in a good sense that had no reason to do so 2 weeks ago but for some reason you are choosing to ignore it.

i assume you werent over in poland for the last 12 days cause if you were, you wouldnt be disagreeing with anybody who says that Ireland reputation has blossomed as a result of our fans behaviour. the amount of positive publicity this country has got has been incredible and considering we have spent 4 years being labelled wasters for putting this country into ruin, i think my "claim" is bang on.

If you still want proof, then start making friends in Germany, Demark, Poland and other countries all over the world and see what they are saying about us as when i came back to work yesterday all i got was positive comments from people about how all their friends and family are raving about ireland back home on levels before they never heard.

deny it if you want, i doubt many people will care too much

You're not claiming anything? :rolleyes: Read back where you stated people's opinions of Ireland had gone up ten fold. You're making a claim that you have no way of backing up.

And I think if people from abroad scratched below the surface of the BFITW claim and saw the state of Irish football and who these so-called BFITW actually support, their opinions would probably change.
    You seem to be asking all the questions.

Where is your solution to all this?

I'm asking the questions because people are making spurious bs claims.

My solution to it would be for people making claims to back them up with fact.

Like the BFITW claim. Who did the Irish fans take this title off? How do we know there's not better fans out there whos country didn't compete at the Euros? Is this award restricted to fans of national teams only?

Shels lost 4:0 in Tallaght in March, had our keeper sent off after 4 minutes and kept singing til the end. Yet noone was on here banging about being BFITW.

For those of us who go to watch our team regularly, it's not anything exceptional.

In fairness, that's nonsense

Lots of families attend LOI - dozens of whom I personally know - and I will be bringing my children as soon as they are old enough. I wouldn't risk the safety of my kids if I genuinely thought games were unsafe.
    It is not an atmosphere conducive to bringing a family.

Tell that to the many families who go to Tallaght to watch Rovers.

Perceptions. I never said it was. The selective misquoting is ridiculous; I spoke of the perception that it was unsafe. The little cliques of rabble who are a vocal and visible presence at these games do little to help with that perception.

But anyways. It doesn't matter.

The families will decide wheter it is safe or not themsleves. The clubs and it's memebers are obviously unconcerned about attracting a wider fanbase; it's Rugby and GAA's gain at the end of the day isn't it. Anything I say will not sway the debate; but the perception will remain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

FWIW Norway, Cyprus, Albania and Croatia are all under 5million and have better top flight average attendances than Rep Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Perceptions. I never said it was. The selective misquoting is ridiculous; I spoke of the perception that it was unsafe. The little cliques of rabble who are a vocal and visible presence at these games do little to help with that perception.

But anyways. It doesn't matter.

The families will decide wheter it is safe or not themsleves. The clubs and it's memebers are obviously unconcerned about attracting a wider fanbase; it's Rugby and GAA's gain at the end of the day isn't it. Anything I say will not sway the debate; but the perception will remain.

Actually it was only in a later post that you said it was a perception, and to be honest its not the truth. There is a small minority of KIDS who sometimes act the maggot, and a bit of shape throwing at Rovers v Bohs, but nothing major.

Actually it was only in a later post that you said it was a perception, and to be honest its not the truth. There is a small minority of KIDS who sometimes act the maggot, and a bit of shape throwing at Rovers v Bohs, but nothing major.

Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If people get afraid about seeing a few kids throw shapes on rare occasion, I would imagine a stroll around Dublin city centre must be a terrifying ordeal for them.

its pretty clear to me that the main reason for the bitterness here towards ireland fans is cos of the lack of support that LOI teams get and nothing else.

my question is, what about the 2.5 million people who are not from Dublin or the big towns yet are expected to support LOI teams?

i currently play junior club soccer in dublin and played it for years when i lived in the countryside. i coach kids at local level and have done it at intercounry level in the past also. i support United and go to see them 30 times a year. so cos i invest my money in United, but i invest all my efforts and time into local soccer, i am not considered an irish football fan by some here.

with my club at home, we got to the latter stages of the FAI junior 5 or 6 years, playing some of the top teams around the country. when i stopped playing with them, i still remained a fan and have seen them play all around the country. why on earth would I want to support another team in ireland when i already support my local team?

theres about 20 top clubs in ireland, yet people seem to forget that soccer is played in every corner of the country. the FAI junior for example, is the biggest competition in europe, yet the 700 odd teams who enter it, plus the 1000s more who dont, get ignored by the LOI bridgade here.

lets look at the group of lads who came with me to poland for example -

1 - founder and secretary of Junior soccer team in Tipperary.
    2 - a rovers season ticket holder.
    3 - An ireland season ticket holder from Clare for about 7 years.
    4 - founder of a Junior soccer team in Kerry.
    5 - currently runs a junior soccer club in kerry.

the rest are all Gaa players/fans who support their local club and county everywhere. all of them Bar the lad from Dublin (the rovers fan) dont live within 100 miles of a LOI club, so what do people expect?

those lads, no matter where they are from, are all entitled to support their country no matter what club they support.

If people get afraid about seeing a few kids throw shapes on rare occasion, I would imagine a stroll around Dublin city centre must be a terrifying ordeal for them.

For some it can be, yes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement