Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

my question is, what about the 2.5 million people who are not from Dublin or the big towns yet are expected to support LOI teams?

If the interest was there for a club the club would be there. Recently people from Kilkenny have been using that excuse for supporting foreign teams, soon Monaghan natives will claim they would support the league but don't because they have no club.

Seriously, the main debate in this thread at least is that the national team would benefit massively if the 30k that went to Poland took an interest. Plenty of people follow the premiership without having an EPL club in their town, take an interest, follow results, watch a few games on TV, discuss up and coming talents on here, all that would be a major change for the better for the league. Anything would be better than the "I'd close my curtains if they were playing in my back garden" attitude we get from a lot of Irish people. Nobody is saying that everyone should be a season ticket holder or even a regular match goer although you would all be more than welcomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

i currently play junior club soccer in dublin and played it for years when i lived in the countryside. i coach kids at local level and have done it at intercounry level in the past also. i support United and go to see them 30 times a year. so cos i invest my money in United, but i invest all my efforts and time into local soccer, i am not considered an irish football fan by some here.

The threads is about whether or nor Ireland national team fans are BFITW.

Which United? Drogheda? Newcastle? Avondale?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

I got back from Poland yesterday and have read this thread at times while in Poland. I'm a smartphone newbie so am only posting my opinion on it now.

I went to all three games in the group and was in Gdansk singing the Fields of Athenry. I was also disappointed with the team's performance but could not question the effort being put in. How can you berate someone for simply not being good enough and being out of their depth?
    However, and i want to make this clear as i think most of the negative opinions of Irish fans in Poland on this thread comes from those who werent in Poland. I was and we were 4-0 down in or around the 83rd minute against Spain, our interest in a quarter final place had been ruthlessly snuffed out and everyone around me in the stadium was disappointed.
    The singing of the Fields of Athenry from the 84th minute onwards as i felt it there in the stadium was the Irish fans declaring their pride in being Irish. Until you attend a big soccer tournament event (and i was at France 98 and Germany 2006) then you wont realise the atmosphere in these stadiums. It isnt the same as a club league game in England or in Ireland. The Spanish fans around us were singing "Come on you boys in green" with us as the Spanish and Irish teams walked onto the pitch. The Croatians were similar despite the fact that the Dinamo Zagreb lads myself and my friends were drinking with seemed pretty hardcore. That doesnt happen in club situations. So in light of that one can imagine better what the us Irish fans were doing in Gdansk. We were celebrating the fact that despite the result on the pitch we were proud to be Irish. Simple as that and that is what other countries have picked up on and made a big deal of. So what? Is it not a good thing to be positive despite the disappointment we were feeling? It is only a game of football at the end of the day.

As for the "Best Fans in the World" tag, well no one in Poland i met was talking about that. Seems like people here listen to Adrian Chiles or some other talking head talk guff and then use it to bash the travelling Irish fans over the head with it. Ask yourselves who came up with the tag.

I am a football nut and was there for the games. But it is also my holiday for the year. So naturally i am going to have a good time on my holidays right? Some of the comments here by people regarding the Irish drinking over there are laughable. Despite all the partying going on there was no irish trouble out there. And i met fans from the poorest areas to the wealthier areas of the country. There was a very broad demographic of Irish supporters in Poland. That all of us behaved and left a very positive image with the locals is a great thing in my opinion and one we should be proud of. The Polish newspapers all had headlines on tuesday saying "we will miss you Irish" or along those lines. How is that a bad thing? Of course, i know they will miss our spending in their cities but we were no trouble. I have late night drunken phots of myself wearing riot police gear and the riot police wearing irish jerseys. I look back on it fondly and proud that because i'm Irish i can travel abroad and not be treated with any suspicion. We should be proud of that.

As for the LOI dont make me laugh. I am living in Dublin 5 years and was in Inchicore for 13 months. I went to 6/7 Pats games as soon as i moved in as i am originally from Mayo (where there is no League of Ireland club of course) but wanted a local team to follow. I was very disappointed. Each and every game was muck. Standard was so poor and the style of football was long balls from the back and then head tennis. Not to mention throw-ins. I still have recurring nightmares about the 50,000 or so throw-ins i saw in those 6/7 games i attended. Long story short i decided to stick with the EPL and various major European leagues as, well, the standard is so much better. But i dont see how that makes my support for the Irish team any less valid. I am Irish. Says so on my passport. I've lived here all my 30 years. My family are all Irish. So i have full right to support the Irish soccer team believe it or not.
    Then again, LOI fans arent the smartest or the most sensitive when push comes to shove as this horrible story involving a man from my own county's dealings with the great and good in the LOI stands:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055082794

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The threads is about whether or nor Ireland national team fans are BFITW.

Which United? Drogheda? Newcastle? Avondale?

The part in bold shows your motivations and prejudices the arguments you are making. Your problem is that people living in ireland support English teams and not local Irish ones. What you dont realise is that the Premier League is shown everywhere. Worldwide. There are people in Holland who support Premier League teams and not Dutch ones. Same story everywhere. You do realise that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

my question is, what about the 2.5 million people who are not from Dublin or the big towns yet are expected to support LOI teams?

About 2.8m out of 4.5m people in Ireland live in an urban area. 60% of our population lives in a urban area. So the vast majority of urban areas have access LOI team.

And most likely the majority of the other 40% live within a hour of a LOI team.

Its a poor excuse to say the LOI is unaccessible to people living in Ireland.

I understand a person from Kerry or Tipperary is not going to support a Cork or Limerick soccer team but the vast majority of our population is covered by a LOI team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I got back from Poland yesterday and have read this thread at times while in Poland. I'm a smartphone newbie so am only posting my opinion on it now.

I went to all three games in the group and was in Gdansk singing the Fields of Athenry. I was also disappointed with the team's performance but could not question the effort being put in. How can you berate someone for simply not being good enough and being out of their depth?
    However, and i want to make this clear as i think most of the negative opinions of Irish fans in Poland on this thread comes from those who werent in Poland. I was and we were 4-0 down in or around the 83rd minute against Spain, our interest in a quarter final place had been ruthlessly snuffed out and everyone around me in the stadium was disappointed.
    The singing of the Fields of Athenry from the 84th minute onwards as i felt it there in the stadium was the Irish fans declaring their pride in being Irish. Until you attend a big soccer tournament event (and i was at France 98 and Germany 2006) then you wont realise the atmosphere in these stadiums. It isnt the same as a club league game in England or in Ireland. The Spanish fans around us were singing "Come on you boys in green" with us as the Spanish and Irish teams walked onto the pitch. The Croatians were similar despite the fact that the Dinamo Zagreb lads myself and my friends were drinking with seemed pretty hardcore. That doesnt happen in club situations. So in light of that one can imagine better what the us Irish fans were doing in Gdansk. We were celebrating the fact that despite the result on the pitch we were proud to be Irish. Simple as that and that is what other countries have picked up on and made a big deal of. So what? Is it not a good thing to be positive despite the disappointment we were feeling? It is only a game of football at the end of the day.

As for the "Best Fans in the World" tag, well no one in Poland i met was talking about that. Seems like people here listen to Adrian Chiles or some other talking head talk guff and then use it to bash the travelling Irish fans over the head with it. Ask yourselves who came up with the tag.

I am a football nut and was there for the games. But it is also my holiday for the year. So naturally i am going to have a good time on my holidays right? Some of the comments here by people regarding the Irish drinking over there are laughable. Despite all the partying going on there was no irish trouble out there. And i met fans from the poorest areas to the wealthier areas of the country. There was a very broad demographic of Irish supporters in Poland. That all of us behaved and left a very positive image with the locals is a great thing in my opinion and one we should be proud of. The Polish newspapers all had headlines on tuesday saying "we will miss you Irish" or along those lines. How is that a bad thing? Of course, i know they will miss our spending in their cities but we were no trouble. I have late night drunken phots of myself wearing riot police gear and the riot police wearing irish jerseys. I look back on it fondly and proud that because i'm Irish i can travel abroad and not be treated with any suspicion. We should be proud of that.

As for the LOI dont make me laugh. I am living in Dublin 5 years and was in Inchicore for 13 months. I went to 6/7 Pats games as soon as i moved in as i am originally from Mayo (where there is no League of Ireland club of course) but wanted a local team to follow. I was very disappointed. Each and every game was muck. Standard was so poor and the style of football was long balls from the back and then head tennis. Not to mention throw-ins. I still have recurring nightmares about the 50,000 or so throw-ins i saw in those 6/7 games i attended. Long story short i decided to stick with the EPL and various major European leagues as, well, the standard is so much better. But i dont see how that makes my support for the Irish team any less valid. I am Irish. Says so on my passport. I've lived here all my 30 years. My family are all Irish. So i have full right to support the Irish soccer team believe it or not.
    Then again, LOI fans arent the smartest or the most sensitive when push comes to shove as this horrible story involving a man from my own county's dealings with the great and good in the LOI stands:

Would be just as easy to pull up a story about Spurs fans disgusting Sol Campbell chants, Man Utd fans on Hillsborough, Liverpool on Munich etc etc etc. Cheap shot imo.

Would be just as easy to pull up a story about Spurs fans disgusting Sol Campbell chants, Man Utd fans on Hillsborough, Liverpool on Munich etc etc etc. Cheap shot imo.

Fair enough and i accept that. I was just using a sledgehammer to illustrate that those in this thread on their high horse need to take a step back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Fair enough and i accept that. I was just using a sledgehammer to illustrate that those in this thread on their high horse need to take a step back.
    So you included, then? Or just those on their highhorse with a different opinion to you?

CSF wrote: »
    So you included, then? Or just those on their highhorse with a different opinion to you?

No i am responding to silly insults towards Irish fans who travelled to Poland for the European Championships based on whether they support LOI or not. Havent tried to get on the horse at all.

I will add it is interesting that my "cheap shot" at the end of my original post is what's picked up on and not my previous thoughts of the Irish fans behaviour in Poland and to a lesser extent a look at the non-travelling poster's motivations on this thread. Agree with my opinion on that?

No i am responding to silly insults towards Irish fans who travelled to Poland for the European Championships based on whether they support LOI or not. Havent tried to get on the horse at all.

I will add it is interesting that my "cheap shot" at the end of my original post is what's picked up on and not my previous thoughts of the Irish fans behaviour in Poland and to a lesser extent a look at the non-travelling poster's motivations on this thread. Agree with my opinion on that?
    I didn't pick up on anything, but you are definitely on your highhorse. I do hope it is cosy.

• Advertisement

Because when you throw petty digs in any reasonable points tend to get lost. Also nobody disagrees that the Irish fans had a good time in Poland or think that that's a bad thing. It is a fact though that the standard of the league and the national team would improve massively if all the people that went to Poland followed the league instead of complaining that there are too many throw ins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Ah no he's right though that one incident involving half a dozen fans 5 years ago go proves we're all idiots for supporting a team just because they represent where we come from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Hazys wrote: »
    About 2.8m out of 4.5m people in Ireland live in an urban area. 60% of our population lives in a urban area. So the vast majority of urban areas have access LOI team.

And most likely the majority of the other 40% live within a hour of a LOI team.

Its a poor excuse to say the LOI is unaccessible to people living in Ireland.

I understand a person from Kerry or Tipperary is not going to support a Cork or Limerick soccer team but the vast majority of our population is covered by a LOI team.

Throw Clare in there as well, and you now have three of the six Munster counties that do not have a LOI team.

Would actually be curious as to how many of the 26 counties do not have a LOI club in them

Kess73 wrote: »
    Throw Clare in there as well, and you now have three of the six Munster counties that do not have a LOI team.

Would actually be curious as to how many of the 26 counties do not have a LOI club in them
    10 if you dont include Kildare and Roscommon (which you shouldn't because they're so close to clubs). I can fully understand people from those counties not supporting a club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Donegal- Harps
    Leitrim- Sligo Rovers?
    Mayo
    Roscommon- Athlone/Longford
    Galway- Mervue/SD Galway
    Sligo- Sligo Rovers
    Clare
    Kerry
    Tipperary
    Limerick- Limerick FC
    Cork- Cork City
    Waterford- Waterford Utd
    Monaghan
    Cavan
    Louth-Dundalk/Drogheda
    Dublin- Shamrock Rovers/Shelbourne/St.Pats/Bohs/UCD
    Wicklow- Bray
    Wexford- Wexford Youths
    Kilkenny
    Carlow
    Kildare
    Longford- Longford Town
    Westmeath- Athlone Town
    Laois
    Meath
    Offaly

paddy978 wrote: »
    Donegal- Harps
    Leitrim- Sligo Rovers?
    Mayo
    Roscommon- Athlone/Longford
    Galway- Mervue/SD Galway
    Sligo- Sligo Rovers
    Clare
    Kerry
    Tipperary
    Limerick- Limerick FC
    Cork- Cork City
    Waterford- Waterford Utd
    Monaghan
    Cavan
    Louth-Dundalk/Drogheda
    Dublin- Shamrock Rovers/Shelbourne/St.Pats/Bohs/UCD
    Wicklow- Bray
    Wexford- Wexford Youths
    Kilkenny
    Carlow
    Kildare
    Longford- Longford Town
    Westmeath- Athlone Town
    Laois
    Meath
    Offaly
    Drogheda is in Meath aswell as Louth. If you look at that list, of the empty ones, 6 of them have had clubs in the LOI or A League and not embraced them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I've never been to a LoI game but I'm going to give it ago in the next few weeks (away on holiday next week). What would be the best game to go and see in order to get a good introduction to the LoI. Living in Meath so Dublins clubs are the most accessible to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Drogheda is in Meath aswell as Louth. If you look at that list, of the empty ones, 6 of them have had clubs in the LOI or A League and not embraced them.

It's alright, we let Louth keep it :pac:

Felexicon wrote: »
    I've never been to a LoI game but I'm going to give it ago in the next few weeks (away on holiday next week). What would be the best game to go and see in order to get a good introduction to the LoI. Living in Meath so Dublins clubs are the most accessible to me.

Depending on what dates you're around here's a couple of big Bohs games coming up -

Friday, 29th June: Bohemians v Shamrock Rovers, Airtricity League Premier Division
    Thursday, 6th or 13th July: UEFA Europa League 1st qualifying round home leg

Keep an eye on the weekly LOI thread, should get a fair idea of the best games.

• Advertisement

Pats v Shels next week. Should be a cracker.

Edit - wait a sec :(

Shels v Dundalk the week after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

10 if you dont include Kildare and Roscommon (which you shouldn't because they're so close to clubs). I can fully understand people from those counties not supporting a club.

10 counties from 26 not having a LOI club makes for a pretty big chunk of the population having no local LOI club to root for. Makes it pretty easy to see why many would not have an interest in LOI tbh.

Would love to see Clare, Tipp, and Kerry get a club each tbh as there would be great potential for a derby style rivalry with Limerick FC and maybe with Cork City FC.

First two defo could get a bit of a grudge match thing going with Limerick and Kerry would have Cork as a rival.

Would pretty much carry over from the rivalries between the counties in GAA.

I get to a decent number of Limerick games, but a proper local rivalry would be something that I could really buy into compared to games against some of the other LOI clubs.

10 counties from 26 not having a LOI club makes for a pretty big chunk of the population having no local LOI club to root for. Makes it pretty easy to see why many would not have an interest in LOI tbh.

Would love to see Clare, Tipp, and Kerry get a club each tbh as there would be great potential for a derby style rivalry with Limerick FC and maybe with Cork City FC.

First two defo could get a bit of a grudge match thing going with Limerick and Kerry would have Cork as a rival.

Would pretty much carry over from the rivalries between the counties in GAA.

I get to a decent number of Limerick games, but a proper local rivalry would be something that I could really buy into compared to games against some of the other LOI clubs.
    As I said, 6 of the counties had a chance of a club and didn't turn out. Realistically, the whole country needs to be linked in a pyramid so that everywhere has the opportunity for someone to support and those areas who become well supported will form the upper echelons.

Monaghan, Kildare and Kilkenny only have themselves to blame. Kerry really should have a team.

bohsman wrote: »
    Monaghan, Kildare and Kilkenny only have themselves to blame. Kerry really should have a team.
    They did. Tralee Dynamos. If the people of Kerry took to it (I get that it doesn't represent all of Kerry though) they'd have a team.

Tralee and Carlow applied for a licence but it was rejected by the FAI to be fair attendances would be better in 1st Division than A Championship at those two clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Because when you throw petty digs in any reasonable points tend to get lost. Also nobody disagrees that the Irish fans had a good time in Poland or think that that's a bad thing. It is a fact though that the standard of the league and the national team would improve massively if all the people that went to Poland followed the league instead of complaining that there are too many throw ins.

I agree the standard of the national league would improve over time if more people attended LoI games and supported the clubs but it would take decades for that to have an impact on the national team. At present young Irish players are in big numbers integrated into the British network of clubs and have access to some of the best facilities in the world, our problem is that the level of technical training in this setup is way below that of the rest of Europe. Unless Irish clubs go in a complete opposite direction from the British setup we will see no change in the quality of players already produced IMO.

I'm not for a second suggesting that is a reason not to attend LoI games just my opinion on what i see as a myth to improvements we might see from higher attendance.

I'd love if the FAI had a serious look at how they can nurture better technical ability in the players we produce and offer young players an option rather than leaving home at 15/16 for Britain.

Tralee and Carlow applied for a licence but it was rejected by the FAI to be fair attendances would be better in 1st Division than A Championship at those two clubs.
    You're right. I think if the areas had taken to the clubs though, they'd have got licences. Licencing isn't actually legitimate like, basically if the FAI want you in you're in, and if they don't you're not. They obviously hadn't much faith in these lads.

RoryMac wrote: »
    I agree the standard or the national league would improve over time if more people attended LoI games and supported the clubs but it would take decades for that to have an impact on the national team. At present young Irish players are in big numbers integrated into the British network of clubs and have access to some of the best facilities in the world, our problem is that the level of technical training in this setup is way below that of the rest of Europe. Unless Irish clubs go in a complete opposite direction from the British setup we will see no change in the quality of players already produced IMO.

I'm not for a second suggesting that is a reason not to attend LoI games just my opinion on what i see as a myth to improvements we might see from higher attendance.

I'd love if the FAI had a serious look at how they can nurture better technical ability in the players we produce and offer young players an option rather than leaving home at 15/16 for Britain.
    The only quickfix in terms of football development is money. Otherwise these things do take time and the benefits would be so worth it. Imagine this became an actual footballing nation. Heaven.

Basically Felexicon I'm saying you should become a Shels fan, just incase I didn't make that obvious enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pat's Vs Shels, Richmond Park June 29th! A chance to see Chris Forrester before you're watching him on tv over in the English leagues!

• Advertisement

You're right. I think if the areas had taken to the clubs though, they'd have got licences. Licencing isn't actually legitimate like, basically if the FAI want you in you're in, and if they don't you're not. They obviously hadn't much faith in these lads.

IMO these two sides were very unfairly treated as the answer was basically we arent given ye a licence but if a team drops out before the season your in. In other words if Monaghan dropped before the season one of them would have got in.

Tralee's biggest problem support wise was their B team continued to play in the KDL so a lot of the soccer public in Kerry would have viewed Dynamos as rivals and wouldnt support it and for that reason I believe a seperate entity should have been formed.

IMO these two sides were very unfairly treated as the answer was basically we arent given ye a licence but if a team drops out before the season your in. In other words if Monaghan dropped before the season one of them would have got in.

Tralee's biggest problem support wise was their B team continued to play in the KDL so a lot of the soccer public in Kerry would have viewed Dynamos as rivals and wouldnt support it and for that reason I believe a seperate entity should have been formed.
    Perhaps. These big counties should be putting teams together anyway. I understand GAA is the big 1 in Kerry but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

No no, you got it right first time!!!!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Depending on what dates you're around here's a couple of big Bohs games coming up -

Friday, 29th June: Bohemians v Shamrock Rovers, Airtricity League Premier Division
    Thursday, 6th or 13th July: UEFA Europa League 1st qualifying round home leg

Keep an eye on the weekly LOI thread, should get a fair idea of the best games.

5th and 12th July ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Going to be weird for any ireland watching us thinking....wait wtf....they can pass......and show for the ball....and actually retain possesion......but draw!!!!!!

Wait till the Euros....tbh

monkey9 wrote: »
    No no, you got it right first time!!!!

:)
    He said he was away next week.

RoryMac wrote: »
    I agree the standard or the national league would improve over time if more people attended LoI games and supported the clubs but it would take decades for that to have an impact on the national team. At present young Irish players are in big numbers integrated into the British network of clubs and have access to some of the best facilities in the world, our problem is that the level of technical training in this setup is way below that of the rest of Europe. Unless Irish clubs go in a complete opposite direction from the British setup we will see no change in the quality of players already produced IMO.

Fair points, I would say though that 7 or so of the current Ireland set up made their name in the LOI and with the way the EPL has gone global I can only see that continuing. The amount of extra revenue into the league through increased attendances, sponsorship and media attention should really see youth facilities increase dramatically.

Staying in Ireland, getting 2nd and 3rd level education with support from your club while getting 1st team footie in a tough league is becoming a viable option for players not good enough for the top top academies in England. McClean, Fahey etc show that its possible to move slightly later.

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    5th and 12th July ;)

Sigh, copy and pasted from an email from the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fair points, I would say though that 7 or so of the current Ireland set up made their name in the LOI and with the way the EPL has gone global I can only see that continuing. The amount of extra revenue into the league through increased attendances, sponsorship and media attention should really see youth facilities increase dramatically.

Staying in Ireland, getting 2nd and 3rd level education with support from your club while getting 1st team footie in a tough league is becoming a viable option for players not good enough for the top top academies in England. McClean, Fahey etc show that its possible to move slightly later.

Our schoolboy setup is there to fill airplanes.....12k per player on trial is not to be sniffed at.

Said it before and say it again the LOI is vital to ensure we pay footballers to play football. That should be our mantra, take the decent kids that didnt get a trial and mix them those who came back with our players who dont want to go over and continue football at our highest level.

Schoolboy clubs sending meat over en masse are the problem, but also in a way the solution.

I happy with how football runs in this country, would like the SFAI to stop being unwankers to certain clubs but thats never going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Where you actually sober for the 3 Ireland games? The standard of play from Ireland was shocking, awful stuff. But people go on about how the LOI is poor !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

gustavo wrote: »
    Ah no he's right though that one incident involving half a dozen fans 5 years ago go proves we're all idiots for supporting a team just because they represent where we come from

It was ONE guy and he was banned for a good while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Kerry do have a team, its called tralee dynamoes. however, as they are a former junior club, where is the motiviation for other local clubs to support them? i grew up being in direct competition with them for underage titles and then at junior level, so i hate them. im sure theres loads of other clubs around tralee that feel the same.

take limerick for example, junior soccer is huge down there and some of the local clubs get excellent attendances and have a better set up than the limerick LOI team.

i dont think people realise this when throwing the "support your local team" dig around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You are coming to a Shels game with me.

End of.

Kerry do have a team, its called tralee dynamoes. however, as they are a former junior club, where is the motiviation for other local clubs to support them? i grew up being in direct competition with them for underage titles and then at junior level, so i hate them. im sure theres loads of other clubs around tralee that feel the same.

take limerick for example, junior soccer is huge down there and some of the local clubs get excellent attendances and have a better set up than the limerick LOI team.

i dont think people realise this when throwing the "support your local team" dig around.

Think most people count junior clubs in the support your local team "dig". Also when I say Kerry need a team I mean more like Kerry United or whatever, I realise Tralee is a small place and I wouldn't expect the full county to get behind them. Still would have liked to see them get a license though.

Also it is those well supported junior clubs we need to see introduced to the league, be it in the first division or a well structured regional league feeding into the first division. If there is a well supported club in Limerick with better facilities than them they should have no problem bypassing them. Wexford have also shown that you can establish yourself without spending massive money on players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Des wrote: »

End of.

You should organise a Poznan reunion night at a Shels game. That would get them in the gate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Des wrote: »

End of.

If the poxy weather had not affected the home attendance, last night in Tolka would have been a cracker of summer evening game for a neutral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Mayo - 130,638
    Clare - 117,196
    Kerry - 145,502
    Tipperary - 154,267
    Monaghan - 60,483
    Cavan - 73,183
    Kilkenny - 95,419
    Carlow - 54,612
    Kildare - 210,312
    Laois - 80,559
    Meath -184,135
    Offaly - 76,687

Total 1.3m out of 4.5m.

28% of the population don't have access to a LOI team (and i'm including the large number of people from the Leinster counties who work in Dublin).

28% is hardly a big chunk...its a minority of the population.

Again, its a poor excuse to say the LOI is unaccessible to people living in Ireland. 72% of people have a team to follow if they choose to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The part in bold shows your motivations and prejudices the arguments you are making. Your problem is that people living in ireland support English teams and not local Irish ones. What you dont realise is that the Premier League is shown everywhere. Worldwide. There are people in Holland who support Premier League teams and not Dutch ones. Same story everywhere. You do realise that right?

No. The part in bold highlights the arrogance of a lot Irish people when using the word "United" that it could only possibly ever refer to one club-a foreign one as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bohs fans tonight -

"Irish football's problems can't be sung away"

AwBNHr9CEAAq2Ho.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Hazys wrote: »
    Mayo - 130,638
    Clare - 117,196
    Kerry - 145,502
    Tipperary - 154,267
    Monaghan - 60,483
    Cavan - 73,183
    Kilkenny - 95,419
    Carlow - 54,612
    Kildare - 210,312
    Laois - 80,559
    Meath -184,135
    Offaly - 76,687

Total 1.3m out of 4.5m.

28% of the population don't have access to a LOI team (and i'm including the large number of people from the Leinster counties who work in Dublin).

28% is hardly a big chunk...its a minority of the population.

Again, its a poor excuse to say the LOI is unaccessible to people living in Ireland. 72% of people have a team to follow if they choose to.

Unless they are in jail then everyone has access to a LOI team. There is no rule that you can only support a team on your door step.
    There is nothing stopping someone in Dublin supporting Cork city if they like the way they play or vice versa. Many go to the uk every sat to watch their team play so there is nothing stopping them doing the same with a LOI side.
    The excuse that there isnt a LOI side that represents them is nonsense when they might at the same time support Man utd, chelsea etc , how do the UK teams represent you?

Advertisement