Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Unless they are in jail then everyone has access to a LOI team. There is no rule that you can only support a team on your door step.
    There is nothing stopping someone in Dublin supporting Cork city if they like the way they play or vice versa. Many go to the uk every sat to watch their team play so there is nothing stopping them doing the same with a LOI side.
    The excuse that there isnt a LOI side that represents them is nonsense when they might at the same time support Man utd, chelsea etc , how do the UK teams represent you?

Access. You can turn on your tv and see any amount of european clubs play and decide you quite like the way they play, the atmosphere created at the ground, some of the players, whatever. The access to teams not on your doorstep just doesn't exist, and it's a shame. Our national broadcaster should be doing much more. It's disgraceful really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sad really.....about 1300 at Pats Bohs .....we know its the way it is. used to be 3 or 4000 at this game around 15 years ago.

Now theres more police than away fans.....cracking game tho. Bohs dont do tapins and scored a wonder goal after 10 minutes, we kept playing our 433 possession football and when Chambers came on pushed for the goals. Could ahve had 4 or 5 with him on.

Not many people who like football would disagree that was a decent game of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

As was last nights game in Tolka. Equally disappointing crowd though.

dan1895 wrote: »
    As was last nights game in Tolka. Equally disappointing crowd though.

Just keep pluggin away doing what we do and surviving.......at some point it will turn in our favour?

Kinda weird most of the LOI fans on here actually do something to help their clubs in whatever way they can. prolly doesnt help when people put the LOI down as we have more than just a fan interest in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Access. You can turn on your tv and see any amount of european clubs play and decide you quite like the way they play, the atmosphere created at the ground, some of the players, whatever. The access to teams not on your doorstep just doesn't exist, and it's a shame. Our national broadcaster should be doing much more. It's disgraceful really.

They are doing a lot more this year than before. I cant see what more they can do to be honest. If you want to support a LOI side then there is no excuse not to do so. Some people are just lazy and wont go and watch a game unless its on their doorstep or its the cup final .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

They are doing a lot more this year than before. I cant see what more they can do to be honest. If you want to support a LOI side then there is no excuse not to do so. Some people are just lazy and wont go and watch a game unless its on their doorstep or its the cup final .

How's the weather up in that ivory tower stu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

652727.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Felexicon wrote: »
    How's the weather up in that ivory tower stu?

No weather indoors bud :)

No weather indoors bud :)

Look at the forum, look how many english club centric threads are replacing the ireland and how to fix ireland threads. its all they care about.

Your pissing against the wind here, give it up tbh. They wont go to their own teams games they certainly wont go to our teams games.

*7th time i have posted that in 12 years posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

rip-james-nolan.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

^^Puts a silly argument into perspective. Fair play to Robbie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

However, and i want to make this clear as i think most of the negative opinions of Irish fans in Poland on this thread comes from those who werent in Poland. I was and we were 4-0 down in or around the 83rd minute against Spain, our interest in a quarter final place had been ruthlessly snuffed out and everyone around me in the stadium was disappointed.
    The singing of the Fields of Athenry from the 84th minute onwards as i felt it there in the stadium was the Irish fans declaring their pride in being Irish.

Well, few people would be critical of this singing in the 84th minute. I doubt there would be any negative commentary if it was just started in the 84th or 87th minute.

But this was going on the whole game. 20 minutes in and a goal down and they were singing "You'll Never Beat The Irish"... now there's a time and a place for that song, and it's when Ireland have just equalized. Not when they just lost their previous match, are a goal down to the best side in the world, and getting bait off the field something obscene...

They weren't just singing joyfully at the 84th minute, but the 74th minute, the 65th minute, the 60th minute, the 50th minute etc. It was the fields of athenry, dudu dududu dudududu Ireland, you'll never beat the irish, all joyously singing, cheering whenever we got the ball.... never mind the fact that we were 3-0 down at the time.

And why boo when Spain got the ball? If I'm being so negative, why should the Irish boo when Spain get the ball? Irish fans couldn't be appreciative of the Spanish performance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Puts a silly argument into perspective
    I hate that phrase!!!!!!!! No it doesn't. Its completely separate!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

And why boo when Spain got the ball? If I'm being so negative, why should the Irish boo when Spain get the ball? Irish fans couldn't be appreciative of the Spanish performance?

I'll admit it really annoyed me when Torres got booed after the game and when his man of the match thing came up on the screen in the stadium. If it was Iniesta he would have probably been cheered.

I went into the stadium expecting to be hammered which was wildly different from how I went into the Croatia game. As such when it happened I was more about making the most of the situation and I think it's fair to say for the most part the rest of the Irish fans did too.

Liam O wrote: »
    I'll admit it really annoyed me when Torres got booed after the game and when his man of the match thing came up on the screen in the stadium. If it was Iniesta he would have probably been cheered.

I know, who did they want to get man of the match... Robbie Keane? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/ryanair-urges-irish-football-fans-to-forget-the-euros-and-get-behind-their-real-teams-in-england
    RYANAIR URGES IRISH FOOTBALL FANS TO FORGET THE EUROS AND GET BEHIND THEIR REAL TEAMS – IN ENGLAND!
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

CiaranC wrote: »

'Ultra-Low cost'.

They must be reading the squabbles on here. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Looks like the people of Poznan are missing us as much as we are missing them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dydAICgkWX0

Brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

stdidit wrote: »

Sits back.and waits for loi fans to trounce all over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Probably because you put their kids through college !!!

More interested in Iceland, Estonians and Slovakians crying over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I know a bloke who owned a pub in Thurles and he told me that concert goers for Féile were the best in the world back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Probably because you put their kids through college !!!

could you explain please what the f*ck this is supposed to mean?

could you explain please what the f*ck this is supposed to mean?

Thought it was pretty obvious....they spent a pissing fortune in the pubs etc thereby putting the owneers "kids through college".

A lot of them are booking their own away trips.

They'll won't be called the 'best fans in the world' for it though

Thought it was pretty obvious....they spent a pissing fortune in the pubs etc thereby putting the owneers "kids through college".

Do you actually think thats why the people of Poznan like us though? I thought you were only joking.

Do you actually think thats why the people of Poznan like us though? I thought you were only joking.

Money makes the world go round.......

It was for the most part a joke, but if I owned a bar in Poznan I would be sad to see people who drank loads and didn't wreck the place leave too. plus if i had been over there I would be under no illusion that is one of the major reason why the Irish where loved over there. I was in Modena with Rovers couple of years ago and because all the bars where closed in the square we cleared the local off-licence out, the owners where thrilled, more revenue in a day than they probably got in a month, I'm sure they were delighted, as were we with cheap booze. we didn't think we were the best fans in the world though, just good customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

stovelid wrote: »

There was a lot of praise given to Rovers fans after the game at White Hart Lane last season. Even Harry had something to say about it.

Didn't see the "barstoolers" moaning like little girls about that.

Lumbo wrote: »
    There was a lot of praise given to Rovers fans after the game at White Hart Lane last season. Even Harry had something to say about it.

No but the Tottenham fans we were talking too slagged the **** out of Irish daytrippers. Even Michael O'Leary is ripping the piss outta them with his latest advert.

Rovers fans weren't claiming to be BFITW.

You are aware of the title thread, yeah? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

A quality fan.

df-ecco-fan_300.jpg

stovelid wrote: »

Was delighted to be there and the turn out and be praised for it but none of us were under some illusions that we were the best fans ever.

That's the point of a lot of the griping. Not to piss on travelling Irish fans, just the back slapping around it.

It was for the most part a joke, but if I owned a bar in Poznan I would be sad to see people who drank loads and didn't wreck the place leave too. plus if i had been over there I would be under no illusion that is one of the major reason why the Irish where loved over there. I was in Modena with Rovers couple of years ago and because all the bars where closed in the square we cleared the local off-licence out, the owners where thrilled, more revenue in a day than they probably got in a month, I'm sure they were delighted, as were we with cheap booze. we didn't think we were the best fans in the world though, just good customers.

I agree, of course all the pub, restaurant, off license owners etc would have been delighted with the business they recieved and probably hoped we would stay for another six months but what happened in Poznan went way past that.

All the Polish people that I seen and met were extremely friendly and helpfull when needed. They came dancing singing and drinking with us and were talking hundreds if not thousands of them joined in, spending their own hard earned money and they couldnt all have been running pubs!

Only people who were over there can truly know how sincere they were as you almost had to experience it to believe it.

Oh and I heard no talk, while over there, about us being "the best fans in the World", that all seemed to kick off over here. Ridiculous claim in any case.

• Advertisement

I agree, of course all the pub, restaurant, off license owners etc would have been delighted with the business they recieved and probably hoped we would stay for another six months but what happened in Poznan went way past that.

All the Polish people that I seen and met were extremely friendly and helpfull when needed. They came dancing singing and drinking with us and were talking hundreds if not thousands of them joined in, spending their own hard earned money and they couldnt all have been running pubs!

Only people who were over there can truly know how sincere they were as you almost had to experience it to believe it.

Oh and I heard no talk, while over there, about us being "the best fans in the World", that all seemed to kick off over here. Ridiculous claim in any case.

All their relations did though....seriously though, pretty much agree with what you are saying, as you say its a ridiculous claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

I heard no talk, while over there, about us being "the best fans in the World", that all seemed to kick off over here. Ridiculous claim in any case.

Have to say I second that. I was surprised at the level of condemnation for something that I've yet to see claimed by anyone. If anyone did say it they're an idiot. Otherwise, there's a lot of bile over nothing, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I was in Poland and was absolutely shocked when logging in to facebook the day after the Spanish game to see so many of the "best fans in the world comments". At first I was a little pissed off as people seemed to be ignoring the match and focusing on the fans but then I realised that all these comments were from non football people. People that would never dream of setting foot in a LOI ground or even travelling over to England regularly to watch games. I didn't hear best fans in the world mentioned by one Irish fan in Poland.

Foreign media and fans giving us the best fans in the world tag is brilliant for Irish football it might enhance our chances of hosting an under-age tournament or even the Euros with Scotland. This would be a massive boost to the game here as the FAI/Government would actually be forced to do something about the appalling state of facilities in the country. With better facilities plus the hype of a major tournament on these shores could seriously boost numbers attending domestic matches.

As for the signing, I felt it was more a case of us announcing we're back and pride in our country especially after all the negativity about Ireland in recent years rather than just having a sing song for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

After the Italy game, the Polish were on the pitch with a flag making this claim and thanking Ireland

I wonder could it be the case that Ireland is like that retarded guy in school, who some nasty individuals play around with and laugh along with, but secretly make fun of him and laugh at him behind his back. Something just seems a bit suspicious about it all...

Irish fans are not the greatest fans in the world... they're just a tribute. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭eire4

I have always hated that phrase best fans in the world. It really is so arrogant and certainly cannot be based on anything provable. What is undeniable is that Irish fans are a great crowd in general who travel in good numbers and enjoy themselves and support their team in a positive way.

For what its worth, I had 2 Facebook friends who were over there, roll out the BFITW line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Nail on the head. :)

eire4 wrote: »
    I have always hated that phrase best fans in the world. It really is so arrogant and certainly cannot be based on anything provable. What is undeniable is that Irish fans are a great crowd in general who travel in good numbers and enjoy themselves and support their team in a positive way.
    I would deny that Ireland travel in good numbers, and that they are a great crowd. Quite frequently, I've been around for booing so I'd argue that the positive way thing too.

Basically, the Irish fans are like some crap footballer with a few good moments thrown into a YouTube video to make them appear world class.

xxxx-bitter.gif

xxxx-bitter.gif
    Oh my, wheeling out the response for when there is none

CSF wrote: »
    Oh my, wheeling out the response for when there is none

Just like you.

Just like you.
    Good one.

CSF wrote: »
    Good one.

No. Just stating obvious.

After the Italy game, the Polish were on the pitch with a flag making this claim and thanking Ireland

Well there ya go.

It must be true then.

Ireland fans are the BFITW.

A banner in Poland said so.

I look forward to the same fans descending on Belgrade and Astana in the autumn in their thousands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement