Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

We were the most vocal, colorful and prevalent fans over in Poland by a million miles. So I could live with the fact that we were seen as the best, we undeniably were. Not even close.
    I say this as someone who was over there and experienced it.

But to think that the Irish sporting public is the best when it comes to supporting football in general is laughable, absurd and in fact a bit sad.
    I say this as someone who saw Monaghan United fold this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Well there ya go.

It must be true then.

Ireland fans are the BFITW.

A banner in Poland said so.

I look forward to the same fans descending on Belgrade and Astana in the autumn in their thousands.

Good one Zebra. I was responding to the poster saying that wasn't cliamed over there. Quality response.

I was over there and the atmosphere was incredible and it's ridiculous so many are giving out about a bit of positive media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was a Disgrace seeing the German fans singing at 2-0 down tonight.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Good one Zebra. I was responding to the poster saying that wasn't cliamed over there. Quality response.

I was over there and the atmosphere was incredible and it's ridiculous so many are giving out about a bit of positive media

Your right, i did see that flag on the pitch at the end of the game, I think it was moreso the Polish thanking us for our stay than anyone claiming anything though.

I wouldnt heed Zebra, he seems intent on trying to pick an argument with anyone who he thinks is saying anything good about what happened in Poland. Its sad really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

It was for the most part a joke, but if I owned a bar in Poznan I would be sad to see people who drank loads and didn't wreck the place leave too. plus if i had been over there I would be under no illusion that is one of the major reason why the Irish where loved over there. I was in Modena with Rovers couple of years ago and because all the bars where closed in the square we cleared the local off-licence out, the owners where thrilled, more revenue in a day than they probably got in a month, I'm sure they were delighted, as were we with cheap booze. we didn't think we were the best fans in the world though, just good customers.

So all those people dancing etc are simply members of the Polish Licensed Vintners Association, i get it.

Pathetic bitterness on here

I wonder could it be the case that Ireland is like that retarded guy in school, who some nasty individuals play around with and laugh along with, but secretly make fun of him and laugh at him behind his back. Something just seems a bit suspicious about it all...

Irish fans are not the greatest fans in the world... they're just a tribute. :cool:

I'd check yourself out with a good shrink, that comment says more about you than anyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

stdidit wrote: »
    Looks like the people of Poznan are missing us as much as we are missing them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dydAICgkWX0

Brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye :)

Nice sentiment and all, but this looks like a Childline concert with Jedward about to come on stage!!!

Why are people focusing on the BFITW! It's just an opinion that the world's media as well as some Irish have placed upon the Irish fans over there! Why are people getting worked up over the title??

In my opinion, The National are the best band in the world. Tom Waits is the greatest!! It's all opinion and you can't prove that sort of opinion.

This thread has had no structure whatsoever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Sure we are a great bunch of lads... the amount of lads I personlly knew over in Poland who would never goto a home game even if the tickets were free....

best fans in the world my hole.

load of ****ing bollox.

• Advertisement

Sure we are a great bunch of lads... the amount of lads I personlly knew over in Poland who would never goto a home game even if the tickets were free....

load of ****ing bollox.

I had a bunch of mates who went over and none of them have been to the new Lansdowne Rd! They went for the piss!! But once again, where is this BFITW title coming from??

load of ****ing bollox.

But those lads nor any Irish fan actually over there came up with that title so why the hate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I'd check yourself out with a good shrink, that comment says more about you than anyone else

Haha, treading on sensitive toes am I? :pac:

But those lads nor any Irish fan actually over there came up with that title so why the hate?

Where did this title actually come from?? People are getting worked up over it, but what's their actual point! The fans represented their country brilliantly over there, but then the BFITW tag comes up, but from where??

There's arguements springing up in this thread from nothing!

I think "Irish pride" is just embarrassing a lot of the time. Like even for something as stupid as the Eurovision, people were getting so worked up over the fact that Ireland weren't winning anymore, and watching the results like the reputation of the nation was at stake on it. :rolleyes: Probably the very same people who are trying to impose this label of "the best fans in the world", and wouldn't know their Ronaldos from their Balotellis.

Fact is that Ireland is a huge under-achiever in economic terms when you think of all the advantages that we have: english native language, close affinity with the US, lowest corperate tax in europe which is the only reason many multinationals come here, the whole "emerald isle" caricature of Ireland. The idea of "drunkenness" is also brought about in such a way as to make Ireland sound really good, Ireland is made out as the centre of the party. Compare that to some place like Ukraine or Romania where they have terrible reputations and crime problems. The ordinary Ukrainian or Romanian person is just as "good" as the ordinary Irish person, obviously.

And this is not just about moaning about fans singing, it's this sort of thing that's happening all the time. It's like Irish people always want "attention".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

monkey9 wrote: »
    Where did this title actually come from?? People are getting worked up over it, but what's their actual point! The fans represented their country brilliantly over there, but then the BFITW tag comes up, but from where??

There's arguements springing up in this thread from nothing!

As far as I'm aware the BFINTW tag came from the foreign media. I've been told Geman and French TV stopped the commentary with 5 minutes left to listen to the singing and some of the English commentators said we had the best fans as did the Polish media. Dont quote me on that though!

I think its the LOI fans that are pissed off about it all, they see 30,000 odd Irish people head off abroad spending loads of money en route and then think the majority of these people dont support their home league and the result is the state the Airtricity League is in today. Prime example being with Monaghan United having to pull out of the league for financial reasons the very day that Ireland played in the Euro's. I guess they are of the opinion that real football fans would support their local clubs so I can understand their frustration at Irish fans then being labeled as BFINTW.

That being said, I dont support LOI, I dont feel bad or ashamed about it and certainly wont be made feel guilty. I saved for months so I could go to Poland, I went their to support the team and to have a good time and I'm proud to say I did both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I don't agree with Irish calling themselves the best in the world.

However, if other nations that had a brilliant time with us over there and decided they love the Irish, just let them and stop complaining.

They may not know that a lot of people are just there for the atmosphere and are not devoted to the team, or maybe they are just happy at the lack of violence and when they say best fans just mean they enjoy their experience with Irish fans the most.

No one was looking for attention, we were just enjoying ourselves.

The pubs were obviously thrilled but the bond we had with the locals that didn't work in that industry was amazing, I'd love to go back

Some of the best nights I had were with the polish locals, if a lot of them came here and all behaved the way my new polish friends did, I'd be calling them the best fans in the world

I think the other nations there were great craic too, just there were so few of them

Whether you're LOI, EPL etc, what does it matter?? As i said previously, where is this BFITW coming from?? I only heard it from foreign media!!

The Irish fans were fantastic over in Poland!! I am one of those who truely wishes they would go to LOI games because the banter they had over there can be had over here, they just don't realise it. But don't mock them, encourage them!

What frustrates me the most is that those fans really don't know what they are missing out on when it comes to LOI! They don't realise that all that craic and banter can be had over here, in their own country! The sing songs etc, it could actually all happen on this island!!

Over in Poland, they had a taste of reality. But most of them will go back to the usual tv screens!!

But here's the secret. The craic you's had in Poland?? That's the craic LOI fans have every fecking week!!! You's just don't know it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭bren2001

But here's the secret. The craic you's had in Poland?? That's the craic LOI fans have every fecking week!!! You's just don't know it!!

If that was the case I'd be at Tolka park every second week to watch Shels. Did it for two seasons (ironically when they dropped to division 1) but I enjoy other things on a friday night instead, does that make me a terrible fan for going to Poland? I went to the Estonia qualifier in Tallinn and never miss and Ireland home game, last one was Wales in Croke Park.

TBFITW tag was put on us by the forgein media, have not heard one Irish person say it. All I know is, is that I had a very good time over there and if people want to say im part of the best fans of the tournament then why would I argue it?

Haha, treading on sensitive toes am I? :pac:

Not in the slightest, i was at the 3 games in the group and was proud to be there. Plus, actually being there means your perceived notions of how Irish people are viewed makes me wonder whether a good talk to someone would help you. Or maybe simply get out more?

To summarise, Irish people go abroad to follow their country in major international event. Irish people behave impeccably at said event and are universally praised. Irish people come home to see that other Irish people who didnt travel have a major problem with the universal praise received. It would be funny if it wasnt so tragic. COYBIG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭celt262

A lot of people went there as their holiday for this year.

I know a lot of people that went who never went to a Ireland game before but went for the party, some even had very little interest in football.

Dont know what these LOI heads are crying about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

LOL, some people actually still whinging over this. Get a grip lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

How bitter and angry does he sound? And weearing a t shirt supporting a foreign band when so many up and comig young irish groups could do with his support.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

How bitter and angry does he sound? And weearing a t shirt supporting a foreign band when so many up and comig young irish groups could do with his support.:mad:

Yea because music and footie are the same thing. Try supporting just one band for the rest of your life and go to other bands gigs and boo them, turn off the radio when they are playing etc. He's going to be one happy comedian tonight either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

The chap's a comedian ffs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Besides when has any LOI fan ever said that people shouldn't support foreign teams? The vast majority of LOI fans also watch the British and European leagues. I would also hope that music fans don't sneer at all homegrown music and refuse to go to their gigs or listen to their music till they make it in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Another Quality Fan.

Retro-Desk-fan.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

bohsman wrote: »
    Yea because music and footie are the same thing. Try supporting just one band for the rest of your life and go to other bands gigs and boo them, turn off the radio when they are playing etc. He's going to be one happy comedian tonight either way.

Ah relax, i was only taking the piss. Honestly had never heard of him. Nice result tonight for ye. Only one SRFC:D Up the wesht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

bren2001 wrote: »

If that was the case I'd be at Tolka park every second week to watch Shels. Did it for two seasons (ironically when they dropped to division 1) but I enjoy other things on a friday night instead, does that make me a terrible fan for going to Poland? I went to the Estonia qualifier in Tallinn and never miss and Ireland home game, last one was Wales in Croke Park.

TBFITW tag was put on us by the forgein media, have not heard one Irish person say it. All I know is, is that I had a very good time over there and if people want to say im part of the best fans of the tournament then why would I argue it?
    Nothing better than Tolka on a Friday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Best fans in the world OFFICIAL
    Henry Winter ‏@henrywinter
    Uefa exco give special award to the Irish for their fans
    Collapse
    Reply Retweet Favorite

COYBIG

Can't be denied now well done to all who travelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Well done Ireland on your very special award John Delaney begged for

300282-so_cartman.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Great, the tournament can be deemed a success for Irish football now.

It's like little Johnny coming last in the egg and spoon race but being given a special prize for singing at the end of the race.

The people that went over do however deserve an award from The Polish tourist board for being fantastic travellers to their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Not in the slightest, i was at the 3 games in the group and was proud to be there. Plus, actually being there means your perceived notions of how Irish people are viewed makes me wonder whether a good talk to someone would help you. Or maybe simply get out more?

To summarise, Irish people go abroad to follow their country in major international event. Irish people behave impeccably at said event and are universally praised. Irish people come home to see that other Irish people who didnt travel have a major problem with the universal praise received. It would be funny if it wasnt so tragic. COYBIG

I doubt if it has anything to do with the praise received but more to do with some element of the support who where there on the lash only ( nothing wrong there) and couldnt care less if Ireland won or lost and then claiming to be the best fans in the world just because they went to poland.
    Ive still to read on here as to what they did different to any other set of fans at the euros to claim the best fans in the world title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Breaking: Ireland to enter the Special Olympics instead of World Cup 2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

They are already in that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

I doubt if it has anything to do with the praise received but more to do with some element of the support who where there on the lash only ( nothing wrong there) and couldnt care less if Ireland won or lost and then claiming to be the best fans in the world just because they went to poland.
    Ive still to read on here as to what they did different to any other set of fans at the euros to claim the best fans in the world title.

I'd say that about a quarter of the fans in Poznan wouldn't really care about the results, most likely over for the lash at the end of the day. I'd have liked to see how many would have gone to Ukraine had we been drawn there.

Also, I don't like it when Irish fans themselves claim to be the best fans in the world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

nm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Should do the presentation before the next home friendly. Wouldn't need a microphone or anything.

• Advertisement

Cringe, this is so embarassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

darragh16 wrote: »

I'd say that about a quarter of the fans in Poznan wouldn't really care about the results, most likely over for the lash at the end of the day. I'd have liked to see how many would have gone to Ukraine had we been drawn there.

Also, I don't like it when Irish fans themselves claim to be the best fans in the world...

Thats why this thread is a trainwreck -- they didn't, elements of the media did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Uefa hould go and shove their little award up John Delany's hole. I like the idea of being popular as a nation and giving a good account of ourselves abroad but this sh1te is embarrasing and patronising.

Bloody hell, what an anti LOI advert this is. This would almost put me off the LOI in case i had to sit beside this clown!! Spit out the chewing gum for a start!!

Non LOI fans, please ignore this video. It really really is great craic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Out of curiousity how many fan awards have LOI clubs received from UEFA in their European jaunts? I know Celtic got at least one so they exist, certainly.

This whole thing is pathetic. Ireland fans are the best in the world. The rest of Europe says it. Get over yourselves.

Out of curiousity how many fan awards have LOI clubs received from UEFA in their European jaunts? I know Celtic got at least one so they exist, certainly.

This whole thing is pathetic. Ireland fans are the best in the world. The rest of Europe says it. Get over yourselves.

Ironic.

• Advertisement

I keep hoping this ****e is because is you're drunk, but the spelling doesn't seem to indicate that to be the case:-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Bloody hell, what an anti LOI advert this is.

Really - and all those people with Man U and Chelsea jerseys walking around our capital city? I'm more embarrassed by them than him tbh. If Irish people supported the LOI it would be a far better league. But they don't so the LOI does not have the money. So no good teams. That's the reality.

I said it before and I will say it again - when you are talking about Irish soccer fans supporting the premiership - they are not the brightest people you will meet. So they don't understand why the LOI fails - their reaction is it is ****e. They don't get that it's ****e because they don't support it. Instead they support English teams. Oh and they still say they are republican too and hate the queen and all that...this is the mentality you are dealing with.

If the amount of money sent every week to England by Irish fans was spent here we would have teams competitive in the champions league like Portugal. But they don't because they are a bit slow that way. They don't get it.

Imagine the outrage and shock when UEFA give the "best fans" award to someone else. There'll be claims it was rigged, that how dare they give the best fans in the world award to anyone else, that it was a smite against the good people of Ireland, angry Irish supporters will be on the phone to Joe Duffy the next day complaining about not getting the award and how it all started with the Thierry Henry handball, and now when they got to the competition they are handed another slap in the face by football's governing bodies. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Bloody hell, what an anti LOI advert this is. This would almost put me off the LOI in case i had to sit beside this clown!! Spit out the chewing gum for a start!!

Non LOI fans, please ignore this video. It really really is great craic!!

I really dont see the problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

The Isle of Begrudgery

• Advertisement
Advertisement