Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Jeez the bitterness on this thread is incredible.

People trying to pigeon hole and label what a fan should be, and if it doesn't match their own preferences then it's all wind & piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Saw a lad at least in his 30's with the brand new Arsenal shirt and "Wilshire" printed on the back. I would of thought getting a brand new shirt with a name on the back is something a ten year old does, not a grown man. Give me league of ireland over this type of pathetic drooling over forereign millionaires anyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

This thread should be renamed the 'I'm a bigger fan than you' thread.

I'm a LOI season ticket holder but the attitude of some LOI fans on here is appalling. Who cares why people went to Poland, they showed Irish people in a great light and we should be commending them for it.

But no. Unless you spend Friday nights at your local LOI club, you aren't a real fan it seems. What about those who went to Poland who work at real local level with Junior clubs but don't go to LOI? They not real fans either, I suppose?

One thing is for certain, if UEFA gave an award for begrudgery no other country would get a look in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Benimar wrote: »
    But no. Unless you spend Friday nights at your local LOI club, you aren't a real fan it seems. What about those who went to Poland who work at real local level with Junior clubs but don't go to LOI? They not real fans either, I suppose?
    Dont come in without bothering to read the thread and start accusing people of this that and the other. That point has been covered multiple times. People have a problem with drunken gob****es on holiday being painted best fans in the world when they wont be anywhere near a football club for the next ten years all the while Irish football is nosediving into oblivion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I really dont see the problem with it.

The bloke just really really annoys me.

The fact he's a Bohs fan doesn't help! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

CiaranC wrote: »
    Dont come in without bothering to read the thread and start accusing people of this that and the other. That point has been covered multiple times. People have a problem with drunken gob****es on holiday being painted best fans in the world when they wont be anywhere near a football club for the next ten years all the while Irish football is nosediving into oblivion

I've read every post on this thread, so don't accuse me otherwise. Some of those 'drunken gob****es' were friends of mine who slog their guts out every week keeping junior clubs running.

Maybe you would be better applauding these people, and realise that they probably do more for football than someone paying to go to a LOI game.

Yes there were people there on their holidays, and enjoyed a booze up. So what? They showed the country in a great light and yet people have a problem with them being recognised for it?

Remember, they didn't claim to be the best fans in the world and yet that stick is continuously being used to beat them.

Benimar wrote: »
    Maybe you would be better applauding these people, and realise that they probably do more for football than someone paying to go to a LOI game.
    Oh shut up, I applauded them on the first page of this thread and the post recieved 100+ thanks including from just about every LOI fan on here. Clown.

Oh shut up, I applauded them on the first page of this thread and the post recieved 100+ thanks including from just about every LOI fan on here. Clown.

He did you know, and I think that may have been the last sensible thing said on this thread. LOI is only being used as its the highest level of football in this country. I'd have the same attitude towards a person who goes to watch Crumlin Utd or Douglas Hall every week as someone who does the same for Shels or Cork City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Jesus, with the amount of junior coaches we apparently have, it must be some sort of reverse miracle that its not us in the final today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Only watched this now because I had nothing better to do.

Christ what a fcuking gobsh1te. "Bleedin singin in deh foren countreez, ah jaysus oim real like". He may have a point on the foreign teams issue but his high horse attitude to better fans than him in Poland, unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Christ what a fcuking gobsh1te. "Bleedin singin in deh foren countreez, ah jaysus oim real like". He may have a point on the foreign teams issue but his high horse attitude to better fans than him in Poland, unreal.

Every last word he said is true though , the presentation might not be great but i cannot disagree with anything he has to say :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Awards for best fans.

The countdown to kick-off.

Guerilla advertising is worse that racist chants.

Goal-line technology still not in place.

Music being pumped out when a goal is scored.

**** UEFA!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Sky Sports News summary of Euro 2012. England get to the quarter finals. Ireland have great fans. At least they decided to forget our results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

He did a hell of a lot of work for free to keep an Irish club alive over the last year, he's more than welcome on a high horse if he wants one as far as I'm concerned.

He also got his very own award recently.

6684162875_69ee5b1af9_z.jpg

To keep with arguments from others posts from the likes of Father Damo would put me off supporting the Irish national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

This morning at the top of Grafton St there is a massive revolving billboard saying you are the "Kings of the Craic!" and "Poznan thanks you!", with some Irish media company's website underneath. Wonder does this have anything to do with anyone in Poznan or just more horn blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

maximoose wrote: »
    This morning at the top of Grafton St there is a massive revolving billboard saying you are the "Kings of the Craic!" and "Poznan thanks you!", with some Irish media company's website underneath. Wonder does this have anything to do with anyone in Poznan or just more horn blowing.

Jaysus what an awful term...

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

maximoose wrote: »

Twas one of them on O'Connell St. yesterday.

Ryszard Grobelny, Mayor of Poznan, said: “You turned our city into a green island — a happy land of dance and song.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/irishsun/irishsunnews/4411461/Poznan-ad-thanks-Ireland-footie-fans.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

bohsman wrote: »
    6684162875_69ee5b1af9_z.jpg

He's a comedian :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ryszard Grobelny, Mayor of Poznan, said: “You turned our city into a green island — a happy land of dance and song.”

Pass the sick bucket.

Would almost make want to wreck the place next time Ireland play there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

stovelid wrote: »
    Pass the sick bucket.

Would almost make want to wreck the place next time Ireland play there.

Did you go to Poznan or Gdansk for the Euros Stovelid?

Did you go to Poznan or Gdansk for the Euros Stovelid?

No. I like seeing the national team do well but I stopped going to Ireland games after the 2010 qualifiers. Only football trips abroad I do now is to see my club.

Not knocking the long-term Irish fans that went over by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

CSF wrote: »
    Jesus, with the amount of junior coaches we apparently have, it must be some sort of reverse miracle that its not us in the final today.

you honestly need to take yourself away from your keyboard and start looking around at the great work being done at the real grass roots level in ireland.

i did my first coaching badge back in March and there was 70 people on the course. thats one course, in one area. these courses are running throughout the country every week and have been for about 5 years or more.

underage football is thriving in this country, junior football also, more people are playing it over any other sport.

yet this is constantly getting ignored.

underage football is thriving in this country, junior football also, more people are playing it over any other sport.

True but exists in its own little bubble. then the LOI exists in another bubble and the national team in yet another. Its that disconnection between the three that is hampering the development of football in Ireland.

dan1895 wrote: »
    True but exists in its own little bubble. then the LOI exists in another bubble and the national team in yet another. Its that disconnection between the three that is hampering the development of football in Ireland.

and the key link between them all unfortunately is English football.

sending a young player to the UK, is the aim for most clubs who are developing young talent.

comes down to money perhaps unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Hopefully a lot of the work Koevermans was doing won't go by the wayside now like the u-19 league and so on. I think WK wanted LOI clubs to be forced to field teams in the U-19 league?

As people have pointed out there needs to be a connection between the cream of young players and the top domestic clubs where the players can develop more slowly and then come back to the game here if they don't make it in England and even go back at at a later stage like others have done.

At the moment. any good work at junior level is wasted (in terms of the league) as the top junior cubs just want to get as many kids over to England as possible. The overwhelming majority fail in England and come back to drop out of football.

On a related note: Somebody told me the other that the English academies are to adopt a more continental approach where kids don;t play competitively until a certain age and just concentrate on technique? Is that true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

you honestly need to take yourself away from your keyboard and start looking around at the great work being done at the real grass roots level in ireland.

i did my first coaching badge back in March and there was 70 people on the course. thats one course, in one area. these courses are running throughout the country every week and have been for about 5 years or more.

Away from my keyboard? I've been coaching for a good few years.

Away from my keyboard? I've been coaching for a good few years.

so you should see first hand then the level of work being done at grass roots level in this country.

ive been coaching for about 15 years and the progression over the past 5 years has been excellent and much better than when i started.

and im still learning all the time, doing the badges has thought me a f*ck load that i didnt know and its the same for everybody i believe.

its taking a long time of course, but people also forget the fact that in this country we have GAA football and hurling and to a lesser extent, rugby competing for youngsters time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭bren2001

its taking a long time of course, but people also forget the fact that in this country we have GAA football and hurling and to a lesser extent, rugby competing for youngsters time.

Thats a huge problem. When I was younger my Gaelic team could field 2 teams with about 36/37 kids coming training every week. My soccer team could barely get 11 week in week out. My training times clashed and it was very difficult to keep going, I ended up sticking with Gaelic because I had more friends there.

If we really want to develop soccer then we need to start getting those big numbers into the clubs by tying in with Gaelic clubs, at the end of the day its about keeping kids healthy when they are younger.

More people play football than all the gaelic sports combined. Participation is not the problem, nor is the quality of coaching. The problems are structural.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

On a related note: Somebody told me the other that the English academies are to adopt a more continental approach where kids don;t play competitively until a certain age and just concentrate on technique? Is that true?

Yep. No league tables until U12s and youth football will be built around smaller sized teams, smaller pitches and smaller goals to hopefully shift the emphasis from physical strength and pace to technical ability.

The Dutch FA recently sent delegates over to England to see what parts of the newer English youth coaching methods they could take back with them to the Netherlands, which is obviously a drastic turnaround from the usual situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭bren2001

More people play football than all the gaelic sports combined. Participation is not the problem, nor is the quality of coaching. The problems are structural.

Thats not the case in Dublin anyway. Theres a hell of a lot more kids playing Gaelic than kids playing football. Participation is a big problem, I know plenty of very good footballers who stopped playing because they made a Dublin team.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Yep. No league tables until U12s and youth football will be built around smaller sized teams, smaller pitches and smaller goals to hopefully shift the emphasis from physical strength and pace to technical ability.

The Dutch FA recently sent delegates over to England to see what parts of the newer English youth coaching methods they could take back with them to the Netherlands, which is obviously a drastic turnaround from the usual situation.

This would leave Ireland in an even bigger ****ter than currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

dsmythy wrote: »
    How so? There is far too much importance put on results at underage level.
    Both on the kids and on the manager.
    This approach focuses on skill and enjoyment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

:confused::confused::confused:

This is what lot of Spanish schoolboy football is doing!!!!!

GAA is still the national sport of this country and that will never change. im talking mindset, supporting, money, infrastructure, its just bred into people from an early age but the same cannot be said about soccer.

as regards participation, do you not think that due to our smaller population and multiple games, that the quality and skill levels are being diluted by playing multiple sports?

i played football, hurling, soccer and rugby when i was in school with football and soccer at a decent level but i wasnt able to pass the ball comfortably and didnt develop my shooting until i was 18 or 19, when it just happened i had stopped playing rugby and hurling completely and was no longer playing GAA 5 nights a week.

:confused::confused::confused:

This is what lot of Spanish schoolboy football is doing!!!!!

I meant if they successfully implemented it while we didn't the flood of Irish talent to England would get worse as we are left behind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

No. I like seeing the national team do well but I stopped going to Ireland games after the 2010 qualifiers. Only football trips abroad I do now is to see my club.

Why knock the ones that arent long-term Irish fans? Disagree with their choice of holiday?

Attention people of Ireland. Applications for new national team supporters has now closed. Please note only those with proof of 20 years support can now attend away games.

As a side note we ask you to continue living your lives under a grey cloud. Any hint of happiness will be dealt with accordingly

bren2001 wrote: »

Thats not the case in Dublin anyway.
    Source?

• Advertisement

Why knock the ones that arent long-term Irish fans? Disagree with their choice of holiday?

If you start crying when you see people making comments you don't agree with, it may be the wrong forum, for you. In fact, it may be the wrong sport for you.

If you start crying when you see people making comments you don't agree with, it may be the wrong forum, for you. In fact, it may be the wrong sport for you.
    He's not really crying about it is he? Well not as much as you are anyway. I've seen you posting about the BFITW in multiple threads here. Let it go brother it's meaningless. Maybe if you put all of this time into your local team you could help raise some much need cash for them

Felexicon wrote: »
    Maybe if you put all of this time into your local team you could help raise some much need cash for them

Will do "brother".

Will do "brother".
    Why do you let everything get to you? I could have said brother,mate,pal anything really it's just what I say. It's not like I think you're my real brother. What's it like to be so angry at this hour of the morning?

What's it like to be so angry at this hour of the morning?

Pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Why do you let everything get to you? I could have said brother,mate,pal anything really it's just what I say. It's not like I think you're my real brother. What's it like to be so angry at this hour of the morning?

Sad, smart alicky post.
    By the way, stovelid puts plenty of time into supporting his local club and in supporting local football on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Sad, smart alicky post.
    By the way, stovelid puts plenty of time into supporting his local club and in supporting local football on this forum.
    Sad, smart alicky post, it might be but a lick arsey one is worse :)

Sad, smart alicky post.
    Oh I'm sorry are we not allowed to disagree with your best friend?
    Jog on lad, it's clear stovelid has the balls to stand up for himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's honestly unbelieveable how this thread is still going!! The begrudgery against a load of Irish going abroad and enjoying themselves is off the scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

GAA is still the national sport of this country

There is no such thing as a national sport in Ireland despite what the propaganda department on Jones Road spews out.

In anyway, GAA isn't an actual sport, it's an organisation that organises several different sports.

Advertisement