Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's honestly unbelieveable how this thread is still going!! The begrudgery against a load of Irish going abroad and enjoying themselves is off the scale.

I've no problem with any of them who went to Poland and spent their hard earned cash and had a good time. The point is that there were 30000 of them over there and we had smaller crowds than that at the AVIVA for some of the home games. It would be nice if more of them could make their way to a home game. Not sure how we could entice them to League of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Reading through this thread a lot of the same crap is repeated again and again.

Time for the thread to do a John Delaney and get locked??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Reading through this thread a lot of the same crap is repeated again and again.

Time for the thread to do a John Delaney and get locked??
    Isn't it already doing a John Delaney then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

stovelid wrote: »
    If you start crying when you see people making comments you don't agree with, it may be the wrong forum, for you. In fact, it may be the wrong sport for you.

Crying? What are you talking about? I disagree with you. Are you a 12 year old or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

According to polish based paper Gazeta , over €36million was spent in Poznan during the euros by football fans, €24million of it being spent by the Irish.

here is the translation from it.
    The study by PL.2012, Poznan received top marks from foreign fans for the atmosphere, the organization of events, public transport and support of volunteers. However, not only wonderful memories left behind by foreign fans. Tourists and football fans in Poznan since released a total of 150 million zl, more than 100 million zł left Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Gdansk was a complete shambles compared to Poznan with regards transport. The city just wasn't finished and the area surrounding the stadium was a big construction site.

Liam O wrote: »
    Gdansk was a complete shambles compared to Poznan with regards transport. The city just wasn't finished and the area surrounding the stadium was a big construction site.

really? the rail link (similar to the Dart) was top notch to be honest, trains from Gdynia to Gdansk central via Sopot every few mins, with the stadium walking distance then from one of the stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Zebra3 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a national sport in Ireland despite what the propaganda department on Jones Road spews out.

In anyway, GAA isn't an actual sport, it's an organisation that organises several different sports.

If we went by the GAA logic of amalgamating a load of sports and putting it under one umbrella, the Olympic Council of Ireland is the most popular sport in Ireland :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If we went by the GAA logic of amalgamating a load of sports and putting it under one umbrella, the Olympic Council of Ireland is the most popular sport in Ireland :pac:

Sports come and go but monolithic cultural cabals on the other hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Liam O wrote: »

I caught a tram from across the road from fan zone and it dropped me about 10min walk from stadium .. I can't remember any problems ???

Mind you I can't remember much :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ill just leave this here nice gesture from Polish fans who appreciated the prsence of the Irish.

AzTXwPnCMAA95Vq.jpg:large

AzTXkhoCIAAc92q.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Richie weighs in...

Richie Sadlier said last night’s attendance at the Aviva Stadium was “not totally unexpected“ as just over 27,000 supporters turned out to watch the Republic of Ireland beat Georgia.
    Ireland won 1-0 to keep their hopes of qualifying for EURO 2016 alive, but in front of the smallest Dublin crowd of the group so far.

Sadlier told RTÉ 2FM's Game On last night: “It's not totally unexpected. There is a lot of talk that the section behind the goal [in the South Stand] is getting heavily searched and there is sensitivity from the FAI for the banners and various different things that have been expressed from that side of the crowd.
    “All of those things don't help and the quality of the opposition, but we keep hearing this is a sports mad country.
    “We often hear the phrase 'best fans in the world', I often hear that and I cringe every time I hear it. There is no sign of them here tonight.”

Fellow RTÉ analyst Pat Fenlon said the lowly attendance is not just based on the team and governance of the game in the country could also be a factor.
    “It's very, very poor. It's very disappointing," he said. "But I don't think it's just about tonight or the football. I think there are a lot of people disappointed and frustrated by the way football is going in this country.
    “They might be voting with their feet. I don't think it's just about what is happening on the pitch.
    “It would be great if we had a few more, but if you're looking at the expensive tickets as well for the game tonight, then it's probably very difficult for supporters. But it's a disappointing crowd.”

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0908/726424-sadlier-i-cringe-at-best-fans-in-the-world/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Well they've both highlighted some of the reasons and the two huge GAA matches over the weekend must also be taken into account. And actually our home attendances aren't too bad, we're actually in the top ten of the average home attendances for this campaign which considering our population is pretty good i'd say. Our average is 33k, better than Spain, Russia, Sweden, Ukraine for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

These RTE "analysts" don't need to pay for a ticket. Maybe should stop pontificating, particularly Sadlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

These RTE "analysts" don't need to pay for a ticket. Maybe should stop pontificating, particularly Sadlier

he's entitled to his opinion and indeed paid to give it, which he's given and outlined some of the reasons, whats your problem exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Pretty much all fans have to pay for a ticket.

Soccer just isn't as big as people think it is in Ireland.

Plenty of casual fans but not a big % of match goers,be it club or country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

We are a nation of event junkies. I wonder what % of people that were over in Poland for the euros were at the game last night. If we do qualify for France you will find a fair % of people will go despite missing a large chunk of the qualifiers and the expense etc will no longer be an issue. Hopefully if we qualify the people that go to games regularly get rewarded with tickets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I've no problem with any of them who went to Poland and spent their hard earned cash and had a good time. The point is that there were 30000 of them over there and we had smaller crowds than that at the AVIVA for some of the home games. It would be nice if more of them could make their way to a home game. Not sure how we could entice them to League of Ireland.

I go with plenty of other lads regularly to Ireland games away from home and have never been in the Aviva. All the lads I go with are the same (bar the odd game) Not giving a penny to the FAI until Delaney is gone and I've met plenty (usually LOI) fans at away games who feel the exact same.

Il be in it in November hopefully for Dundalk I'm a cup final but that will be it till Dundalk were to play in it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Why? Fenlon was spot on in some of what he was saying, about it being more than just on the field performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I go with plenty of other lads regularly to Ireland games away from home and have never been in the Aviva. All the lads I go with are the same (bar the odd game) Not giving a penny to the FAI until Delaney is gone and I've met plenty (usually LOI) fans at away games who feel the exact same.

Il be in it in November hopefully for Dundalk I'm a cup final but that will be it till Dundalk were to play in it again.

Slightly contradictory. You won't give a penny to the FAI so don't go to home games, but you will go to the FAI cup final... Therefore giving money to the FAI.

Anyway, it's all about event junkies. Ticket prices didn't come into it for Georgia game. They were very reasonable. Fenlon is wrong on that score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Soccer just isn't as big as people think it is in Ireland.

Plenty of casual fans but not a big % of match goers,be it club or country.

Nail on the head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

As an outsider I'm not sure I agree with that. Some of the biggest football fans I've known I've met since I moved here. That's LOI fans and fans of the Premier League. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of love for the national side though, at least outside of tournaments.

To be fair, you're not as easy side to watch. I kept finding myself watching the Scotland game the other night. And I hate Scotland.

I just cringe when I hear people coming out with Dublin vs Mayo in the GAA and , jesus, Electric Picnic as reasons. Fair enough if you're a casual supporter and identify as such but if you're using a gig as a reason you stayed away, you can't consider yourself to be near the best supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Omackeral wrote: »
    I just cringe when I hear people coming out with Dublin vs Mayo in the GAA and , jesus, Electric Picnic as reasons. Fair enough if you're a casual supporter and identify as such but if you're using a gig as a reason you stayed away, you can't consider yourself to be near the best supporter.

If you're from Dublin, Mayo, Galway or Kilkenny and have an interest in the GAA the chances are you're going to choose to go to an All-Ireland semi-final or final instead of going to watch RoI v Georgia. Don't understand what's so cringey about spending €50 - €80 to go to a game and then not being able to justify travelling on a Monday night to go to another.

Electric Picnic is now Ireland's biggest festival. Over 50,000 people attended. I know the last thing I'd want to do after spending the weekend at it would be going to a football game.

baz2009 wrote: »
    If you're from Dublin, Mayo, Galway or Kilkenny and have an interest in the GAA the chances are you're going to choose to go to an All-Ireland semi-final or final instead of going to watch RoI v Georgia. Don't understand what's so cringey about spending €50 - €80 to go to a game and then not being able to justify travelling on a Monday night to go to another.

Electric Picnic is now Ireland's biggest festival. Over 50,000 people attended. I know the last thing I'd want to do after spending the weekend at it would be going to a football game.

And if you read my post properly you would see that I said that's not a problem. Just don't think you're one of the best fans in the world is all! For the record Baz, I wasn't at the match, but I don't claim to be a die hard either. On Saturday though, my team Bohs were playing in essentially a dead rubber against Rovers and I was due to work and then you had the Dubs game too but I got someone to cover me (at cost to myself) and sacrificed the Dublin game because I AM a die hard Bohemians fan. Again, well and good choosing something over another but you can't say we're the best fans in the world if it's not top of the agenda whereby music gigs and other distractions come into it, and yes, I include myself there. Fair play to those that went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

there were several reasons for the poor attendance. It will be packed for the Germany match. There is no way to say who are the best fans, but one thing is for sure, when we qualify, per capita we send a staggering amount of fans compared to other countries...

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Idbatterim wrote: »
    there were several reasons for the poor attendance. It will be packed for the Germany match. There is no way to say who are the best fans, but one thing is for sure, when we qualify, per capita we send a staggering amount of fans compared to other countries...

And a staggering amount of them will be staggering around :D

Idbatterim wrote: »

Best bandwagon fans in the world :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

FYP...

We send a staggering amount of sessioners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Every country has hardcore fans who attend all games regardless, moderate fans who attend all the home games, fairweather fans who would go to a game if there's nothing else on, and fans who will travel to events like the Euro's, World Cups etc. I don't see how Ireland are much different in this regard. I think the "best fans in the world" tag comes from good behaviour when abroad as well as spending shedloads of money when over there, Euro2012 case in point.

What I will say, though, is that 27k for a Monday night qualifier to watch Championship level football is a good turnout all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

fyfe79 wrote: »
    What I will say, though, is that 27k for a Monday night qualifier to watch Championship level football is a good turnout all things considered.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Monday is a brutal day for football International. Most people would generally make a night of it, and I would bet a hefty wedge that if the game had of been on of a Saturday, there would have been a good few more in attendance. Monday night pretty much rules out a lot of fans from around the country and restricts to a much more Dublin base

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Just posted this on another thread. If you expect people to fork out €120 for a seat behind one of the goals then theres something wrong. I know its the marquee match of that campaign fair enough but €120 is ridiculous. I certainly won't be attending for that kind of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ireland match tickets are too expensive for me anyway. They are rarely ever worth the money you spend on going to the games, fair enough against someone like Georgia or Gibraltar it might be affordable for a crap seat but the matches rarely have good atmospheres, rarely are good games and when you factor in travelling up and down, food and a few pints you're talking €100 quid. Really not worth it.

If we qualified for the Euros next summer (which I don't think we will) I would heavily consider going, as at least that might be value for money. Unless you live in or near Dublin it is rarely if ever good value to go to an Ireland match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Boskowski wrote: »
    Just posted this on another thread. If you expect people to fork out €120 for a seat behind one of the goals then theres something wrong. I know its the marquee match of that campaign fair enough but €120 is ridiculous. I certainly won't be attending for that kind of money.

Is that not a premium level ticket though?

• Advertisement

Nunu wrote: »
    Is that not a premium level ticket though?

Behind the goal? Is there topless bar service with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Behind the goal? Is there topless bar service with it?

Doesn't matter if there was. You still wouldn't be allowed drink in your seat.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if there was. You still wouldn't be allowed drink in your seat.

You're not sellin' it to me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ireland match tickets are too expensive for me anyway. They are rarely ever worth the money you spend on going to the games, fair enough against someone like Georgia or Gibraltar it might be affordable for a crap seat but the matches rarely have good atmospheres, rarely are good games and when you factor in travelling up and down, food and a few pints you're talking €100 quid. Really not worth it.

If we qualified for the Euros next summer (which I don't think we will) I would heavily consider going, as at least that might be value for money. Unless you live in or near Dublin it is rarely if ever good value to go to an Ireland match.

No they won't, far from it actually.

Upper tier seats along the sidelines in Poznan for Ireland v Italy in Euro 2012 were 120 Euro face value.

If I recall all seats along the side line were 120 and behind the goals were 80 or something.

These tournaments are not sold cheaply.

Edit - 120 for most of the sidelines, 70 for behind the goals and 30 for a small section of the lower tier behind the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This is Irish fans in a nutshell though right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Been to 16 away games and plenty of home games down years and never once have I heard anybody say Irish Fans are Best in world.

It kinda came around 88-90 when everybody else was fighting, we were partying.

Been to 16 away games and plenty of home games down years and never once have I heard anybody say Irish Fans are Best in world.

It kinda came around 88-90 when everybody else was fighting, we were partying.

And then again in Poland when we were losing 4-0 to Spain and everyone sang The Fields of Athenry, the best fans in the world doing their bit for Irish football. And then Monaghan United died like a week later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

And then again in Poland when we were losing 4-0 to Spain and everyone sang The Fields of Athenry, the best fans in the world doing their bit for Irish football. And then Monaghan United died like a week later.

Yet when fans boo their own team, they are always tarnished for their disgraceful, disrespectful behaviour".

Guess you can't please all the people all of the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think this proves a point. Read what you just said again "best fans in the world" mentioned ;)

I agree with what you say in general but it kinda shows people use the term to be sarcastic more then anything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Nunu wrote: »
    Slightly contradictory. You won't give a penny to the FAI so don't go to home games, but you will go to the FAI cup final... Therefore giving money to the FAI.

Anyway, it's all about event junkies. Ticket prices didn't come into it for Georgia game. They were very reasonable. Fenlon is wrong on that score.[/QUOTE]

Well what do you expect me to do, if Dundalk get to the cup final? Not go :rolleyes:

Of course ticket prices come into it! Its dearer for an Ireland season ticket than a season ticket is for Bayern Munich or Boruisa Dortmund. If they want the Aviva full for these type of fixtures, tickets should be reduced to €20 across the board. The FAI are already benefiting from the increased TV Money so no reason they cant reduce prices (but hey, who would pay Delaneys YES men their wages then)

fyfe79 wrote: »

yes, 27,000 is a great crowd considering the circumstances. you had very few kids at the game and i would say virtually no people from the countryside with families came to the game. i know lads from down the country who normally come to every game and they couldnt come to this game, because of the night involved. there was alot of people who didnt use their season tickets, i know a lad who had 12 of them spare for people in his own soccer club as people just couldnt get to the game.

at the same stage of last year, on a saturday night Scotland V Georgia had "only" 34,000. the same night we had 35,000 against Gibraltar.

there was a rugby game v scotland in the aviva a few weeks back that had around 25,000 but no, lets just have a pop off the soccer fans. i have no doubt that the attendance would have been 40,000+ had this game been on the Friday or Saturday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

there was a rugby game v scotland in the aviva a few weeks back that had around 25,000 but no, lets just have a pop off the soccer fans. i have no doubt that the attendance would have been 40,000+ had this game been on the Friday or Saturday.

Apples and oranges, the rugby was a friendly. Why would we discuss rugby attendances in the soccer forum?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Apples and oranges, the rugby was a friendly. Why would we discuss rugby attendances in the soccer forum?

because the people who are bashing the supporters are the same people who use the fact that Rugby sell out the Aviva and sold all their premium tickets, to bash the FAI and John Delaney also.

as regards the "friendly", there is no such thing as a friendly in rugby considering that every second year the team plays only 2 "competitive" games at home.

we have the 29th highest population of the 50+ nations in the qualifying campaign yet when the Germany game sells out, we will have an average attendance of 43,000 for our home games, which will be up there with countries who have populations of 50million or more. we were 8th highest average attendance during the last euro qualifying campaign and will be in the top 10 again this time, despite a population of about 4million people and a country split into 4 sports, with most others only having 1, maxiumum two.

yet, people keep ignoring all the facts that our home attendances are really really good for international level.

there was tickets available for the last night for €35 the day of the game, other tickets were €50.

my ticket was €25 and there were family tickets available for €75 (2 adults and 2 kids).

why do you need to tell a pack of lies as if the only tickets for sale were €120?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

there was tickets available for the last night for €35 the day of the game, other tickets were €50.

my ticket was €25 and there were family tickets available for €75 (2 adults and 2 kids).

why do you need to tell a pack of lies as if the only tickets for sale were €120?????

Because it helps with the myth that the fan is being ridden rock solid when it comes to ticket prices to pay for Delaney's lavish lifestyle.

Pointing out that pices have dropped or are good value does not help.

Please stop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement