Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

my ticket was €25 and there were family tickets available for €75 (2 adults and 2 kids).

How did you acquire a ticket for €25? I search for tickets and the cheapest I can find is €120, obviously premium level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

We've a really solid travelling support and you tend to see the same faces at away trips. That's no problem. Most clubs and national teams will have their central core of support.

I sometime find the "hangers on" quite annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

We've a really solid travelling support and you tend to see the same faces at away trips. That's no problem. Most clubs and national teams will have their central core of support.

I sometime find the "hangers on" quite annoying.

weve a really solid home support also. its one of the best in Europe and all the facts prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Omackeral wrote: »
    Best bandwagon fans in the world :p

There is plenty of proof to this with irish people, the GAA has huge bandwagon support and so does the national team but this happens in every country.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    How did you acquire a ticket for €25? I search for tickets and the cheapest I can find is €120, obviously premium level.

how can you find tickets for a game that is over????? premium level was actually quite full the last night by the way, one of the biggest PL crowds ive seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

sky88 wrote: »
    There is plenty of proof to this with irish people, the GAA has huge bandwagon support and so does the national team but this happens in every country.

Yeah its not just soccer. GAA is the worst for this.

Attendance at first round game (even worse for the league) - 7,000
    All Ireland Final Day - 82,000 and a scramble for tickets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

He's talking about the game Vs Germany, he's German (I think).

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Yeah its not just soccer. Kerry GAA is the worst for this.

;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

there was tickets available for the last night for €35 the day of the game, other tickets were €50.

my ticket was €25 and there were family tickets available for €75 (2 adults and 2 kids).

why do you need to tell a pack of lies as if the only tickets for sale were €120?????

He mentioned marquee match which I doubt was against George.

I'm guessing its Germany!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

how can you find tickets for a game that is over????? premium level was actually quite full the last night by the way, one of the biggest PL crowds ive seen.

Sorry I am referring to the Germany game. :)

Who the hell is George!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Who the hell is George!

Owns the marquee.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Sorry I am referring to the Germany game. :)

ah ok. well the chances are now, that the main areas are either all sold out or not yet on sale.

there is also a massive section of seats being held for season tickets not yet sold. you can buy a season ticket which gets you into the next 4 games plus the FAI cup final for €115 which is why my ticket the last night was only €25.

one thing that is being ignored also from the last night is the fact that there was about 30 Georgia supporters the last night, a bigger, more local team with something to play for would have brought 3,000 or 4,000.

we take on average 3,500 to all our away games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Yeah its not just soccer. GAA is the worst for this.

Attendance at first round game (even worse for the league) - 7,000
    All Ireland Final Day - 82,000 and a scramble for tickets

There is at least 23k - 27k at Dublin league games so bad comparison.

Bad standard of football , high ticket prices , a Monday night and the game on TV . They're the issues.

• Advertisement

TheNap wrote: »
    Bad standard of football , high ticket prices , a Monday night and the game on TV . They're the issues.

but what issues? facts show we are one of the best supported teams in Europe. in fact, given our population we probably are the best supported team in Europe when you factor everything in.

27,000 for a population like ours is great going, i think only Wales are getting better crowds than us per population plus Iceland (both teams probably having their best ever qualifying campaigns so more people are going to go).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

It seems we are the best supporters of the EPL judging by the overseas nationalities of those who attended games in 2014.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english/2015/0910/726892-irish-football-fans-boosting-british-economy/

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/641861766255935491?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

B17G wrote: »
    It seems we are the best supporters of the EPL judging by the overseas nationalities of those who attended games in 2014.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english/2015/0910/726892-irish-football-fans-boosting-british-economy/

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/641861766255935491?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

considering we are the closest country, how is that a surprise? would have thought it was higher than 121,000 visits also to be honest, the figure seems very very low considering theres about 15,000 season tickets in this country across all the clubs.

their maths are completely insane also, they work out that everybody spends £867 per trip which is complete and utter nonsense. i barely spend more than £100 anytime i go to a game over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

TheNap wrote: »
    There is at least 23k - 27k at Dublin league games so bad comparison.

:rolleyes: I know, I am usually there, there are 31 other counties in Ireland however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

121,000 visits from our shores? Jesus that's good. The Irish sure do love their live football! Someone should set a league up over here. It would clean up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

121,000 visits from our shores? Jesus that's good. The Irish sure do love their live football! Someone should set a league up over here. It would clean up!

Best fans in the world. Now proven by statistics.

CSF wrote: »

It's not the fact people go to the UK that annoys me, it's the fact that there's this idea that the Irish are these soccer mad people craving live football. It's the fact they need to resort to fake rivalries and call each other Manc scum and Scouse twats. It's the fact that they'll blame ****ing Electric Picnic or the Olympics being on telly as valid reasons for not going to a game. You having been to Poland on a week long booze holiday for a major tournie doesn't make you a great fan. You going to The Emirates once every 2 years and snapping pics for an FB check-in doesn't make you a great fan, it makes you a tourist. Pete who follows Dundee every week in the pissings, he's the best fan in the world. Pat that follows Limerick every week with a couple hundred others, he's the best fan in the world. My fcuking god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

one thing that is being ignored also from the last night is the fact that there was about 30 Georgia supporters the last night, a bigger, more local team with something to play for would have brought 3,000 or 4,000.

we take on average 3,500 to all our away games.

Was there actually Georgian support there?

You can bet the Germans will fill their allocation though; they love a good aul piss up in Dublin.

They've gone mental policing the singing section too after the Delaney banner; never seen searching going on like it the last night getting into the ground.

CSF wrote: »

why should people from the likes of Mayo, Longford, Wicklow, Kerry, Clare,Tipp, Kildare and lots of other counties care about LOI teams they have no affection for?

same goes for people from Dublin who have no connection to the likes of Pats, Rovers and Bohs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

why should people from the likes of Mayo, Longford, Wicklow, Kerry, Clare,Tipp, Kildare and lots of other counties care about LOI teams they have no affection for?

same goes for people from Dublin who have no connection to the likes of Pats, Rovers and Bohs.

You could make the very same argument about them caring for teams from London, Liverpool and Manchester. ;)

why should people from the likes of Mayo, Longford, Wicklow Kerry, Clare,Tipp, Kildare and lots of other counties care about LOI teams they have no affection for?

Longford Town? Bray Wanderers? Kildare County... Last one died from lack of interest. Pretty sure Tipp had an LOI team too.

As for the Dubs with no connection, go make one! Enjoy it. Each locale is catered to for the most part. This idea that people will shun you or sneer at you is a fallacy, sure how would anyone know you're new? On the contrary, fans of clubs here love to get new fans. Supporters enjoy telling them about the rivalries and the legends. There's nothing more satisfying to me to see a newbie lose their sh*t at a game for the first time. I brought 2 people to the Bohs and Rovers game that was filmed for a documentary and they had the best night they've had all year. Check the crowd scenes out for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I go to 60-70% of home games of a Premier League club. My statement was purely in gest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

cson wrote: »
    You could make the very same argument about them caring for teams from London, Liverpool and Manchester. ;)

But we all know that they are not the same.

People have been building affinities with English teams for decades.

It may be through family members, media exposure, Irish player that have played for or are playing for that team etc etc

We live in the shadow of one of the biggest leagues I the world so we are always going to be exposed to it much more than our own league.

And that's why people from Mayo are more likely to follow a team from the UK rather than Longford

in fairness to Homer, he's been at the odd LOI game and been made to feel very welcome. He's even been asked back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

But we all know that they are not the same.

People have been building affinities with English teams for decades.

It may be through family members, media exposure, Irish player that have played for or are playing for that team etc etc

We live in the shadow of one of the biggest leagues I the world so we are always going to be exposed to it much more than our own league.

And that's why people from Mayo are more likely to follow a team from the UK rather than Longford

also the fact they are better teams, better players, professional, nicer stadiums. now compare all that to a bunch of part time amateurs playing in dives!

• Advertisement

Hope the football fans are ready to hand this prestigious award over to the rugby followers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I really don't understand LOI fans problem with the other countries labelling Irish fans as the best in the world. Don't worry about what other fans think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

monkey9 wrote: »
    I really don't understand LOI fans problem with the other countries labelling Irish fans as the best in the world. Don't worry about what other fans think.

What countries do this? :confused:

Going to a handful of games each year doesn't make you the best fans in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I notice very little was made of the other figures in the table posted a while back. Norway has its own league with decent standard or teams and isn't as easy to pop in and out of England from yet they supply 3\4 's of the amount of travelling fans as Ireland does into English club games. They aren't hugely more populated than is either.

Kerryman here, support Cork City FC, though lived there for a while and they are my nearest L of I team. Used to drive up to lots of matches but life getting in the way so not getting to the Cross nearly enough in recent years. Would also go to the odd Leeds game across the water.

Lots of fellows I know here in Kerry who have an interest in Irish soccer would take a particular interest in CCFC results, proximity and the fact that most roads in the SW lead to Cork and we'd all have family and friends there. Plus a few Kerrymen have togged out for Cork City over the years. You don't have to be from the same county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

You don't have to be from the same county.

But you do have to be from the same country?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Hope the football fans are ready to hand this prestigious award over to the rugby followers!

Not a peep out of them today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Kerryman here, support Cork City FC, though lived there for a while and they are my nearest L of I team. Used to drive up to lots of matches but life getting in the way so not getting to the Cross nearly enough in recent years. Would also go to the odd Leeds game across the water.

Lots of fellows I know here in Kerry who have an interest in Irish soccer would take a particular interest in CCFC results, proximity and the fact that most roads in the SW lead to Cork and we'd all have family and friends there. Plus a few Kerrymen have togged out for Cork City over the years. You don't have to be from the same county.

I'm from Kildare and I would be a big follower of the LoI, but homerjays point is valid. I've tried to get into following Shamrock Rovers as they're the closest team to me (it also helps that their ground is decent and they have been successful in recent years), but I just can't get into it properly. When you're going to a match and your not from the same area as any of the fans, can't go for pints before/after because you drive, don't know many others who follow the team it can be difficult to feel associated with the team. When I'm at matches in Tallaght the Rovers fans probably think I'm an away supporter 90% of the time due to my accent!

Not saying that this is an excuse for people like me to ditch the league altogether, but I think it's unreasonable to expect people from outside the clubs catchment areas to start supporting LoI clubs all of a sudden. Genuine question - If the standard admittedly isn't great, and there is no local affinity to these clubs, how can you expect people to get interested?

But you do have to be from the same country?

Well Cork City play in my national league, and they are the nearest club to me to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Not a peep out of them today.

What do you even mean by this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

What do you even mean by this?

Argentina fans loudest despite being in the vast minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Argentina fans loudest despite being in the vast minority.

So first it was that there wasnt a peep out of the Irish fans yesterday. And now its that the Argentina fans were louder...

Did you watch the rugby? There was large portions of the game when the Irish were the most vocal. I wasnt at the game but my sister was and I got plenty of videos from the end of the game and from outside the stadium afterwards with what looked like thousands of Ireland supporters singing and cheering the team despite the defeat.

And I'd be willing to bet come the Argentina-Australia semi-final that the Irish will be once again heard singing in the stands.

But don't let these things get in the way of a chance to get a dig in and spout hyperbole in thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

And I'd be willing to bet come the Argentina-Australia semi-final that the Irish will be once again heard singing in the stands.

Surely most decent fans would be looking to move their tickets on, plenty of touts and I'm sure money to be made. Event bandwagoners will stay but I'd have thought not having their team in the game, most other fans wouldn't bother. It's like showing you what you could have won on Bullseye.

Bit sad when your team isn't even playing and your singing your songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Surely most decent fans would be looking to move their tickets on, plenty of touts and I'm sure money to be made. Event bandwagoners will stay but I'd have thought not having their team in the game, most other fans wouldn't bother. It's like showing you what you could have won on Bullseye.

I can't say I'm too disappointed with Ireland going out. I won't have people recoiling in horror when I reply to their questions about the matches with the answer that I wasn't watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That wasn't the usual rugby crowd there yesterday. When have you ever heard ireland rugby fans sing Ole Ole, stand up for the boys in green etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

fullstop wrote: »
    That wasn't the usual rugby crowd there yesterday. When have you ever heard ireland rugby fans sing Ole Ole, stand up for the boys in green etc?

Too right!
    How dare these 'fans' watch our sport!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Too right!
    How dare these 'fans' watch our sport!

What?

I can't say I'm too disappointed with Ireland going out. I won't have people recoiling in horror when I reply to their questions about the matches with the answer that I wasn't watching it.

Caught the last two Argentine tries after doing a bit of shopping.

The Irish fans were very quiet at that stage. It all seemed a bit dead, which surprised me as the scoring suggests they were in it until the 2nd last try anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

There is an official Ticket exchange / sale system - fairly ****ty to tout your ticket for a profit to other fans
    I know lots of people who are going to the game on Sunday, while hoping Ireland were in it they will be shouting for Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not saying that this is an excuse for people like me to ditch the league altogether, but I think it's unreasonable to expect people from outside the clubs catchment areas to start supporting LoI clubs all of a sudden. Genuine question - If the standard admittedly isn't great, and there is no local affinity to these clubs, how can you expect people to get interested?

I have no problem with this at all, but do have a problem when people using the 'no affinity, feel like an outsider, too far away' argument are also fans of Man United or Celtic or wherever, and don't seem to have a problem with affinity, distance, or being an outsider.

• Advertisement
Advertisement