Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Oh ffs

The racism card

In fairness, i did feel slightly uncomfortable watching that one. It didn't sit right with me. Don't get me wrong, the bloke in particular seemed so happy, seemed to be loving it.

But picking someone up because they're black and singing the YaYa/Kolo chant, i think i might have just stepped away from that one until it was over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Casual racism is the appropriate description.

But something something they were having the craic.:rolleyes:

How? If anything it's satire of the stereotypical racist view that "all blacks look alike".

monkey9 wrote: »
    In fairness, i did feel slightly uncomfortable watching that one. It didn't sit right with me. Don't get me wrong, the bloke in particular seemed so happy, seemed to be loving it.

But picking someone up because they're black and singing the YaYa/Kolo chant, i think i might have just stepped away from that one until it was over.

Would you think it racist it it was an Irish fella was picked up in Africa while chanting some Irish players name.

There was no malice there at all

Would you think it racist it it was an Irish fella was picked up in Africa while chanting some Irish players name.

There was no malice there at all

There was absolute no malice there at all, i agree. Maybe that bloke gets genuine aggressive racial abuse in France normally and for him to be lifted like that and brought in on the craic had him feeling great like it seemed to in the video.

But i remember watching that and although i was laughing at his reaction, it didn't really sit right with me.

I'm not making a big deal of that clip anyway.

Wasn't the Aviva just half full for the home game against Georgia in the qualifiers?

• Advertisement

Wasn't the Aviva just half full for the home game against Georgia in the qualifiers?

It was. There's no doubt a lot of fans go over on the bandwagon. When we qualify for a major tournament, that becomes their summer holiday.

I do wish they'd pack out Lansdowne for every game, but i don't begrudge any fan who goes over to the Euros and World Cups.

I've always loved reading and hearing the fans stories and now these days seeing the footage on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

So what? People have lives. If you live in the west coming up to Dublin for a match is a major pain. Between possibly having to take off work,pay for transport\drive a long distance ,pay for accommodation if you want to drink and then get reamed when paying for those drinks a lot of fans from outside the capital pick their matches and rightly so.
    Even if you do live in Dublin ticket prices aren't exactly great value. Doubt Georgia are moving the dial numbers wise in many other countries either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

LaGlisse wrote: »
    So what? People have lives. If you live in the west coming up to Dublin for a match is a major pain. Between possibly having to take off work,pay for transport\drive a long distance ,pay for accommodation if you want to drink and then get reamed when paying for those drinks a lot of fans from outside the capital pick their matches and rightly so.
    Even if you do live in Dublin ticket prices aren't exactly great value. Doubt Georgia are moving the dial numbers wise in many other countries either

Maybe he's just saying that our fans aren't that great as if they were the stadium would be packed for every match.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Maybe he's just saying that our fans aren't that great as if they were the stadium would be packed for every match.

Are other countries really packing out stadiums to pay 60 odd quid to watch Georgia when everybody thought we were doomed with Germany up next

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Are other countries really packing out stadiums to pay 60 odd quid to watch Georgia when everybody thought we were doomed with Germany up next

They may not be but then those countries don't seem to be claiming to have the great fans we have.If our fans truly are the best in the world all our matches would be sold out.

What our fans do seem to be good at is going on the piss which is perfectly fine as they should go and enjoy themselves but it's different than having great fans.

• Advertisement

They may not be but then those countries don't seem to be claiming to have the great fans we have.If our fans truly are the best in the world all our matches would be sold out.

What our fans do seem to be good at is going on the piss which is perfectly fine as they should go and enjoy themselves but it's different than having great fans.

Hmmmmm, i feel this is the sticking point. This is a label put upon us by other countries. It's isn't just a pat on the back by the fans over at the Euros. The begrudgers on our island don't seem to aprove of that title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

Hmmmmm, i feel this is the sticking point. This is a label put upon us by other countries. It's isn't just a pat on the back by the fans over at the Euros. The begrudgers on our island don't seem to aprove of that title.

This is a label, we put on ourselfs and our media.

This is a label, we put on ourselfs and our media.

And also by other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Our attendances are 'up there' in actual terms, and in % of population. Probably by the likes of gate receipt also as our tickets are expensive.
    27,000 for a home game against Georgia would still put us amongst the 'best fans'. Its not a sell-out but very few countries sell out their qualifiers - even less sell out their non-glamour ties against the 5th and 6th seeds in their groups. On a Monday night which was when the Georgia game was.

Anyway 'sell-out or not' is a terrible way of measuring the worth of a crowd.
    Like if the Aviva was a 25K stadium and therefore the match had been a sell-out would that make us wonderful? If the Aviva was a 250K stadium and 25K turned up would that make us 10x terrible? It would be the same attendance.

27,000 for a home game against Georgia would still put us amongst the 'best fans'. Its not a sell-out but very few countries sell out their qualifiers - even less sell out their non-glamour ties against the 5th and 6th seeds in their groups. On a Monday night which was when the Georgia game was.

Like if the Aviva was a 25K stadium and therefore the match had been a sell-out would that make us wonderful? If the Aviva was a 250K stadium and 25K turned up would that make us 10x terrible? It would be the same attendance.

It certainly wasn't a sell out, it was half full. As for the Monday, 5th seeds...isn't that precisely how to distinguish support from fickle event junkie stuff, turning up for the non glamour games?

I am fully aware of the attendance v capacity thing. But are you surely accept that attendances at games and ticket sales has been the subject of increasing comment since the Trap era.

Joe.ie and Balls.ie are not "other countries".

It's not begrudgery to point out that, while it's great to see so many Irish travel, and even better to see them have good clean fun, the insistence by the clickbait media that this reflects on us as a people, as the best fans with the best loyalty, is what I'm criticising.

It certainly wasn't a sell out, it was half full. As for the Monday, 5th seeds...isn't that precisely how to distinguish support from fickle event junkie stuff, turning up for the non glamour games?

I am fully aware of the attendance v capacity thing. But are you surely accept that attendances at games and ticket sales has been the subject of increasing comment since the Trap era.

It's not begrudgery to point out that, while it's great to see so many Irish travel, and even better to see them have good clean fun, the insistence by the clickbait media that this reflects on us as a people, as the best fans with the best loyalty, is what I'm criticising.

Joe.ie and Balls ie?

That's only tabloid type nonsense.

All people need to do is stop following them on Facebook or Twitter during the euros. It's not that difficult.

There's a clue in the term Click bait!

Joe.ie and Balls ie?

That's only tabloid type nonsense.

All people need to do is stop following them on Facebook or Twitter during the euros. It's not that difficult.

There's a clue in the term Click bait!

But I can criticise the Indo for it's content, not buy it, ponder at its popularity and wonder does it say something about the people who lap it up.

And similarly with Balls.ie and Joe.ie tapping into our often noted need for affirmation, whether it's "Mexicans like hurling", "Springsteen praises Conor McGregor" or "Irish fans change tyre".

It's not a criticism of hurling, Springsteen or fans having the decency to change a tyre, it's pondering why is this stuff news, why so many like this type of news etc. It's not begrudgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,052 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its news because the world has got incredibly dumb. We are no exception.

But I can criticise the Indo for it's content, not buy it, ponder at its popularity and wonder does it say something about the people who lap it up.

And similarly with Balls.ie and Joe.ie tapping into our often noted need for affirmation, whether it's "Mexicans like hurling", "Springsteen praises Conor McGregor" or "Irish fans change tyre".

It's not a criticism of hurling, Springsteen or fans having the decency to change a tyre, it's pondering why is this stuff news, why so many like this type of news etc. It's not begrudgery.

If you want stories like the above you follow those sites. Before social media you would buy a tabloid for those stories.

If you want more serious news stories you might follow bbc news for example. Before social media you may have bought the times etc

Basically don't take the former too serious and if you or if they annoy you don't like or follow them. It's very straightforward to do so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I don't have an issue with the fans themselves.

They just travel to watch a few games, get drunk, act like sheep and do a few nice things to show the Europeans how lovely we are. It's all very naive, twee and a touch subservient but then we have Enda as a leader setting an example.

None of this bothers me at all. It is what it is...

However..

The fact that we celebrate all this, and the notion that it makes us something special and something we should all be really proud of, is not just pathetic, it's extremely embarrassing for us as a nation.

It really is time we grew up a but.

• Advertisement

Swanner wrote: »
    I don't have an issue with the fans themselves.

They just travel to watch a few games, get drunk, act like sheep and do a few nice things to show the Europeans how lovely we are. It's all very naive, twee and a touch subservient but then we have Enda as a leader setting an example.

None of this bothers me at all. It is what it is...

However..

The fact that we celebrate all this, and the notion that it makes us something special and something we should all be really proud of, is not just pathetic, it's extremely embarrassing for us as a nation.

It really is time we grew up a but.

Who are the supporters that are saying they are something special, and it's all something to be proud off?

Are you morto?

Who are the supporters that are saying they are something special, and it's all something to be proud off?

I never said supporters are saying that. I didn't mention individuals because it's not about individuals.

It's about the collective mentality that think getting drunk and being well behaved deserves a medal of some sort...
    Are you morto?

More so just a bit embarrassed for those that buy into all the horse****.

In a cringey way though, a bit like watching an episode of the office.

It's not about individuals. It's about the collective mentality that think getting drunk and being well behaved deserves a medal of some sort...

More so just a bit embarrassed for those that buy into all the horse****.

In a cringey way though, a bit like watching an episode of the office.

Who thinks they deserve a medal? I want to see who all these people are that think this.

I don't think anyone the people you are feeling embarrassed for care! They are having fun

Who thinks they deserve a medal? I want to see who all these people are that think this.

Well the fans that keep filming themselves and their mates doing these "good deeds" and posting them on FB in order to get lots of "thanks", praise and a good dose of self affirmation is probably a good place to start but then you already knew that..
    I don't think anyone the people you are feeling embarrassed for care! They are having fun

I don't care that they don't care. It is what it is. I'm embarrassed for them and for us as a nation, as is my right.

I agree with everything you say besides definition of fans. Ive never been to a Irish soccer match, I would consider myself a really loyal fan.
    Ive been to Irish rugby matches so its where Im getting my comparison from, I live in the west of Galway and I honestly wouldnt travel up for a Irish rugby match against Georgia but would happily against one of the top tier nations and once again I consider myself a loyal rugby fan, if I lived in Dublin I know I would go to any game,
    my point being from us around the country its sometimes not so easy

Well the fans that keep filming themselves and their mates doing these "good deeds" and posting them on FB in order to get lots of "thanks", praise and a good dose of self affirmation is probably a good place to start but then you already knew that..

I don't care that they don't care. It is what it is. I'm embarrassed for them and for us as a nation, as is my right.

Give me videos of people having fun to people moaning any day of the week.

A good tip for anyone not wanting to watch videos is don't press play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The Irish, a great bunch of lads.

I agree with everything you say besides definition of fans. Ive never been to a Irish soccer match, I would consider myself a really loyal fan.
    Ive been to Irish rugby matches so its where Im getting my comparison from, I live in the west of Galway and I honestly wouldnt travel up for a Irish rugby match against Georgia but would happily against one of the top tier nations and once again I consider myself a loyal rugby fan, if I lived in Dublin I know I would go to any game,
    my point being from us around the country its sometimes not so easy

Oh I fully accept that, living in Kerry it's not easy to get to games at all.

But as you will know, you only have to look at numbers going to the pub to watch games, who talk about games, who you know are chewing fingernails beforehand. It's gone way down. Rugby is hammering it...probably because of the success in rugby...which probably leads back to the point that we are loyal fans of events and celebration, not of the Irish football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's just the clickbait sites self-proclaiming every hour with another video that pisses me off. Delighted everyone's having a great time. Poland was great four years ago and very jealous I wasn't able to go again.

• Advertisement

But as you will know, you only have to look at numbers going to the pub to watch games, who talk about games, who you know are chewing fingernails beforehand. It's gone way down. Rugby is hammering it...probably because of the success in rugby...which probably leads back to the point that we are loyal fans of events and celebration, not of the Irish football.

My honest opinion, I think Ireland has some loyal fans in any of the sports, but in general there is a lot of lads who get on board when success comes. How many lads followed UFC before McGregor, Connacht get to the final of the league and jerseys are sold out everywhere. Now while Im sure both of these situations have created loyal fans, most will fade away. I know a lad who went to 2 McGregor fights in Vegas and never watched the sport or a McGregor fight before them had no interest in the sport after, he just went for the craic, he was constantly sending snap chats to his friend who was the one who actually was into UFC but couldnt afford to go, so while I think we have a lot of those fans, I do think as a small country this is always likely to be the case
    Its sad to say, if you want to see real loyal fans, I think the GAA fans are pretty special in there support of there counties,
    where Id be the ultimate bandwagoner for these sports, Ive only ever been to finals, Id watch maybe a semi or quarter on tv but wouldnt be pushed, I think a lot of our rugby and soccer fans have a similar attitude to mine towards the GAA, I get excited at the event and Im gutted, but I quickly get over it and have a great time, I saw some lads crying and I couldnt comprehend it at all but it would be how Ireland losing in soccer and rugby would have affected me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

GAA are the most consistent bandwagoners to be fair, look at the attendance on the league or early championship in comparison to the clamour for All Ireland tickets. And I say that as a loyal GAA fan

Give me videos of people having fun to people moaning any day of the week.

I think you keep missing the point..

I wish the supporters out there nothing but the best... sure aren't they a great bunch of lads altogether, having the craic, drinking their own weight in beer without spilling it on the locals and getting obstreperous with each other... They've even managed to help a few aul wan's along the way..

There's absolutely nothing wrong with any of that...

It's just not worthy of our celebration at home. That's all i'm saying.
    A good tip for anyone not wanting to watch videos is don't press play!

Well how do you know you don't want to watch it till you watch it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Are you morto?

To be honest a good few like to pat themselves on the back about it.

I was in Poland for the Italy game last time and a good few Irish fans I meet were making a big deal about the news they had heard about the aSpanish commentators apparent disbelief at the Irish fans singing at 0-4 down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

But they're great at cleaning the streets of Paris after a night out. Pity they wouldn't try it at home once in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Well how do you know you don't want to watch it till you watch it ?

For a couple of reasons:

1) The video will probably have a big play button on the middle of a screen, and on that screen there will be lots of people wearing Irish Jerseys with a few beers usually.

2) It usually has a heading '' IRISH FANS IN FRANCE/ BEST VIDEO YET ''

It's pretty easy to avoid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Paddy's compulsion to act the gob****e every time there's a camera around is a national disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

For a couple of reasons:

1) The video will probably have a big play button on the middle of a screen, and on that screen there will be lots of people wearing Irish Jerseys with a few beers usually.

2) It usually has a heading '' IRISH FANS IN FRANCE/ BEST VIDEO YET ''

It's pretty easy to avoid

How do you avoid it on the radio? News just on and they are harping on about the great behaviour of the Irish fans that the minister for tourism is saying it will boost Irish tourism.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    GAA are the most consistent bandwagoners to be fair, look at the attendance on the league or early championship in comparison to the clamour for All Ireland tickets. And I say that as a loyal GAA fan

Maybe, as I said Im a honest GAA bandwagoners, most of the guys around here go to league games aswell, so my only experience of GAA fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

What success in rugby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

People need to relax in here.

• Advertisement

Paddy's compulsion to act the gob****e every time there's a camera around is a national disgrace.

Haha, a national disgrace. Jesus.....

Our attendances are 'up there' in actual terms, and in % of population. Probably by the likes of gate receipt also as our tickets are expensive.

To be honest I think a country with great fans should be capable of selling out a 50k seater stadium for the 5 of so competitive games we play there each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Sam Kade wrote: »
    How do you avoid it on the radio? News just on and they are harping on about the great behaviour of the Irish fans that the minister for tourism is saying it will boost Irish tourism.

Change station?

You're making this very complex :pac:

Change station?

Not always possible...

And even if it is, you've already been subjected to some of this rubbish before changing...

Short of avoiding all forms of media, it's impossible to avoid.

Change station?

You're making his very complex :pac:

Or if they mention it on a news bulletin just switch channels.

Same as you would like with any bulletin you have no interest in!

Change station?

You're making his very complex :pac:

Sure if he changes station and doesn't click onto those news items that annoy him, how is meant to find offence??

To be honest a good few like to pat themselves on the back about it.

I was in Poland for the Italy game last time and a good few Irish fans I meet were making a big deal about the news they had heard about the aSpanish commentators apparent disbelief at the Irish fans singing at 0-4 down.

Did you tell them to cop on and be real fans? Or just vent on message boards?

People are moaning about fans following Ireland. Don't see them doing anything about it

I think a lot of this is Irish people's continued insecurity when it comes to the English, and our ongoing desire to try and prove we are better than them.

So when the English cause mayhem the Irish are always trying to show the world that firstly we are not the same as them and secondly we are better than them cos we have "the craic" (a made up Irish version of an old north of England term by the way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭AdolfEngland

I don't think bandwagon jumping is a uniquely Irish thing.

Did you tell them to cop on and be real fans? Or just vent on message boards?

People are moaning about fans following Ireland. Don't see them doing anything about it

Neither its just something I noticed while talking to a few people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement