Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I think a lot of this is Irish people's continued insecurity when it comes to the English, and our ongoing desire to try and prove we care better than them.

So when the English cause mayhem the Irish are always trying to show the world that firstly we are not the same as them and secondly we are better than them cos we have "the craic" (a made up Irish version of an old north of England term by the way).

Probably a lot of truth to this...

The "craic" being what we label our "unique" ability to consume our own weight in alcohol without pissing ourselves and starting a fight.

Aren't we feckin marvelous altogether...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Swanner wrote: »
    Not always possible...

And even if it is, you've already been subjected to some of this rubbish before changing...

Short of avoiding all forms of media, it's impossible to avoid.

So for the sake of argument sake you can't avoid it. Why bother discussing it even further if it bothers you so much?

You're theory is basically. '' ZOMG, DIZ IS SO STUPID, I NEEDZ TO TALK ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE IT'' and the irony is that makes it harder to get away from.

Genuine Lol.
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Sure if he changes station and doesn't click onto those news items that annoy him, how is meant to find offence??

Spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

I don't think bandwagon jumping is a uniquely Irish thing.

Eejitry is a uniquely Irish thing, and we are the champions my friend.

So for the sake of argument sake you can't avoid it. Why bother discussing it even further if it bothers you so much?

You're making an assumption that it bothers me a lot more then it actually does.

I have zero interest in football and almost zero nationalistic pride so i don't really give a ****e one way or the other.

But given that it's all over the media at the moment and given that it's something have an opinion on, and with this being a discussion board, where people get to post and discuss their opinions on said matters, I can't really see a problem with me adding to the discussion.

Maybe you can elaborate a little as to why my posting is an issue for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Zxclnic wrote: »
    Eejitry is a uniquely Irish thing, and we are the champions my friend.

What's eejitry?

What's eejitry?

Raising a black man (complete stranger) shoulder high whilst singing 'Yaya Toure'!

Raising a black man (complete stranger) shoulder high whilst singing 'Yaya Toure'!

Yeah that sort of thing wouldn't be uniquely Irish.

Did the rugby fans get as much stick during the last World Cup for enjoying themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭AdolfEngland

Yeah, that's uniquely Irish..

While I do find a lot of "the craic" is basically lads getting pissed and being loud, annoying pains in the hole, some of the self hatred and negativity here is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Your agenda, and those of your cohorts on the After Hours thread, all became clear by the posting on the same thread of the Irish Times article which painted Irish fans in a less positive light. Here's a hint: there needs to be more than one layer of sublety in hiding an agenda otherwise it is easily made transparent. You and your allies on that thread gave away your positions pretty easily. Amateurs.

which thread about irish times article? i don't know what thread you are referring to? i think you have the wrong man.

You're making an assumption that it bothers me a lot more then it actually does.

I have zero interest in football and almost zero nationalistic pride so i don't really give a ****e one way or the other.

Maybe you can elaborate a little as to why my posting is an issue for you.

No elaboration needed really.

You have zero interest in football, yet went out of your way to go onto a Soccer forum to post about how something Soccer bothers you.

To me that just seems like it bothers you.

I just find it silly. If I dis liked something I wouldn't go out of my way to find/read a thread on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

The Irish fans are like the new young lad that arrives on the scene and he's being extra nice to everyone yet at home he's a bit of an eejit who does feck all for anyone.

Did the rugby fans get as much stick during the last World Cup for enjoying themselves?

Of course not Monkey. They were all on their high horses drinking Rose and the likes :pac:

I think a lot of this is Irish people's continued insecurity when it comes to the English, and our ongoing desire to try and prove we are better than them.

So when the English cause mayhem the Irish are always trying to show the world that firstly we are not the same as them and secondly we are better than them cos we have "the craic" (a made up Irish version of an old north of England term by the way).

Sweeping generalisations and hyperbole. . You speak of Irish people as one person. I know quite few over there who aren't insecure about their English.

Unless you have statistics to back it up which obviously you won't.

Maybe some people are insecure about others having enjoyment? Who knows

You have zero interest in football, yet went out of your way to go onto a Soccer forum to post about how something Soccer bothers you.

To me that just seems like it bothers you.

I just find it silly. If I dis liked something I wouldn't go out of my way to find/read a thread on boards

The topic has little to do with football. It's the social and cultural aspect to this that i'm interested in, not the sport.

I didn't go out of my way to find or go on any forum. I was on boards, it came up on the first page and i clicked in.

Not sure what makes you the gate keeper here but last time I checked its an open and public forum where anyone is free to post should they decide to do so...

You may find it silly that I choose to post. That's your prerogative. Just as it's mine to not care that you find it silly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think you could invest your time being annoyed in far more worthy causes tbh.

It's a bit sad really if this is to the forefront of some folks grievances with life.

The topic has little to do with football. It's the social and cultural aspect to this that i'm interested in, not the sport.

I didn't go out of my way to find or go on any forum. I was on boards, it came up on the first page and i clicked in.

Not sure what makes you the gate keeper here but last time I checked its an open and public forum where anyone is free to post should they decide to do so...

You may find it silly that I choose to post. That's your prerogative. Just as it's mine to not care that you find it silly...

Sure we'll leave it there Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Sweeping generalisations and hyperbole. . You speak of Irish people as one person. I know quite few over there who aren't insecure about their English.

Unless you have statistics to back it up which obviously you won't.

Maybe some people are insecure about others having enjoyment? Who knows

Yes its a generalisation, but from my 40+ years on this planet have come to the conclusion that a lot of Irish people have some sort of inferiority complex when it comes to the English.

Just look at the number of posts here giving out about the English team, the English fans, the English media, and the price for England to win with the bookies.

One of the first social media posts I saw from this tournament was a split screen showing how the English behave (wrecking the place) and how the Irish behave (having "the craic"), and if that does not sum it up I don't know what does.

I've yet to see one comparing us to the Russians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭AdolfEngland

Why would they? We have a long standing history/rivalry with one country and no relationship with the other.

I'm not sure it's insecurity really. I think a lot of people have a general disdain for "the English" and are only too happy to paint them in a bad light and see them lose in football. Scotland is similar.

Most countries have a similar relationship with their former colonisers.. Anti-Russian in the former USSR countries, anti-Spanish in some Latin American countries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Yes its a generalisation, but from my 40+ years on this planet have come to the conclusion that a lot of Irish people have some sort of inferiority complex when it comes to the English.

Just look at the number of posts here giving out about the English team, the English fans, the English media, and the price for England to win with the bookies.

One of the first social media posts I saw from this tournament was a split screen showing how the English behave (wrecking the place) and how the Irish behave (having "the craic"), and if that does not sum it up I don't know what does.

Or maybe people don't want their near neighbours to do well in sport.It's quite a common occurrence across the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

RTE covering the "brilliant" Irish fans again this morning, and I do find the whole thing tiresome. I always find myself thinking of what Roy Keane said in 2012 about just going along for the trip, just happy to be there. It seems the fans realise that we wont win it, but just want to be the best at something.

RTE covering the "brilliant" Irish fans again this morning, and I do find the whole thing tiresome. I always find myself thinking of what Roy Keane said in 2012 about just going along for the trip, just happy to be there. It seems the fans realise that we wont win it, but just want to be the best at something.

They all should have stayed at home really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

You listen here. They're not the best fans in the world, they're very naughty boys. Now go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

2-0 down.

LOW LIE THE FIELDS......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

your boys are taking one hell of a beating.concede one more and you can sing your songs like 2012

your boys are taking one hell of a beating.concede one more and you can sing your songs like 2012

They seee him trollinnnnnn they hatinnnnn

Omackeral wrote: »
    2-0 down.

LOW LIE THE FIELDS......

Always one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

In fairness George Hamilton on commentary said it himself that it was reminiscent of 4 years ago in Poland so it wasn't just me thinking it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Always one!

Make that two

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Jelle1880 wrote: »

Fun clip but I saw it shared on the 'LovinDublin' Facebook page with the caption: 'We lost but we're the real winners'.

Enough of that, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Hungary fans taking over Marseilles giving Ireland a run for ther money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

thebaz wrote: »
    Hungary fans taking over Marseilles giving Ireland a run for ther money

Hungary and Iceland have been very impressive in both their games. The NI fans have been top class too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How dare they!

But have they changed any flat tyres yet? Well, have they?

NIMAN wrote: »
    How dare they!

But have they changed any flat tyres yet? Well, have they?

probably , but doubt they post it all over fb & twitter with ther local Indo bigging it up as news headlines.

again is it a sign of great fans , out celebrating as if we have won , fairweather fans I would think more than dedicated best fans. Defeat in soccer or any sport -- hurts like ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Social Media has ruined it.

Once an incidental "and finally" piece, is now a concerted effort to be "the most craic"

I'm out.

On the whole 'best fans in the world' thing.....im a little on the fence about it if not indifferent. Yes on one side, the support base looks for a bit too much credit tbh for their good behaviour ill agree and yes by and large i cannot imagine they are packed into LOI or even Leinster league grounds every weekend, but on the other side im relieved that we are not disgracing ourselves like some other sets of supporters. I've highlighted the word relieved because while i'm not over the moon about the fact that our fans party no matter what the result and probably should demand more...at the same time its great that we bring something to the carnival because at the end of the day its only a game of football and life is to be enjoyed...that's the bigger picture...

We, as supporters, at whatever level we are at can really can only shout for the team. We have no control over the result or overall setup of irish soccer. If LOI grounds were packed to the rafters each week the result would be no different today.

Back in the 1990s, I used to absolutely love the game of soccer when i was a kid and relish the school bell for break time for playing in the yard and like any kid, i looked up to the players who were good at what they do. They were in the mainstream for a reason. The Keano's, Duffs, Ronnie Whelans, Paul Mcgraths..... The LOI used get a bit of coverage on RTE but tbh i probably couldn't name 5 players from the whole league and while i did get some exposure to the teams there was no real incentive to watch Irish soccer. Its like the good looking girl and the ugly girl in a room and the good looking girl is showing you plenty of leg whereas the ugly girl is indifferent (or her promoters are )...which would you choose?

Just because more punters stuff themselves into the likes of Turners Cross, its not going to turn Irish football into a beast overnight. The issue is with the feeder system into the LOI who are basically fighting for the rejects from the UK and the overall technical level of these players is lightyears behind other nations.

Richie Sadlier became a football agent after retiring and was saying on the radio during the week after the Sweden game that he done his best to get Wes Hoolihan a club in England but Wes was considered too small and light. Look at the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Cazorla with Spain for example and imagine the player that Wes would have become if he was lucky to move to Spain from a young age. Geography can be a mere accident sometimes and alot of the time in modern day football.

Its up to the men in charge to make the product more attractive and this comes from getting it right at grass roots. The Dutch came from an amateur era to be one of the most successful and influential international sides because they had the courage to think, plan and action. Take GAA for example. If you watch a minor match you can pick the guys primed for success at Senior level most of the time and its no coincidence that they are part of a good positive setup where they develop a spring in their step.

I don't think that a few fans that go out and have a party at a football match are ultimately responsible for the FAI not paying more lip service to the game. This assumption is a little too lazy and simplistic tbh. But as an overall Soccer public I do believe we want the best for the team even if we dont have any real power where the money or influence is aimed. We can only go with the flow really.

As for some people believing that if you are not LOI/Junior football martyrs then you are not 'Real fans'.....easy to say that when you are a bus stop away from Shamrock Rovers or St Pats or whoever.

All in all we haven't really a problem at the end of the day or at least not one that those who travelled to France and drunk all round them can fix. Its up to the powers that be to put a plan into place. The Irish followed Katie Taylor in London four years ago. Katie Taylor honed her skills in the most modest of surroundings and the reason Irish amateur boxing has been so successful is because of the setup of the organisation from the ground up.

We are now in an age where people are questioned about their level of support for the team and have to meet a certain level of conditions....its a load of b0llocks to be honest. The only real way to change the mentality of irish soccer will be on the local pitches and playing fields. Ideally we all want a situation where kids will be looking for the school bell to play soccer rather than it becoming a chore where they have to endure an insufferable tyrant for 1 or 2 hours after a long day in school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

thebaz wrote: »
    again is it a sign of great fans , out celebrating as if we have won , fairweather fans I would think more than dedicated best fans. Defeat in soccer or any sport -- hurts like ****

No proper supporter would be out having fun after a result like that. I would question the loyalty of any fan who is.

Berserker wrote: »
    No proper supporter would be out having fun after a result like that. I would question the loyalty of any fan who is.

But overall, if everyone was like dogs and flew home in bad humour after a defeat would it make a difference? English fans, media and general public go nuts after defeat but they are not really much better when you consider that football is their national game and pasttime.

The disdain for the partying fans can come across as a little petty in all honesty... Games are won and lost on the field and its better that the so called '12th man' is at the very least behind you and supportive. Booing serves no purpose. It creates a toxic atmosphere and environment.

Urgh.

I hope so.

I know rugby "fans" and their knowledge of the game they purport to follow is just scandalous. I remember a group of Munster "diehards" in the local going to the WC in 2007 telling me Ireland was going to win it. When I asked how far we had ever got up to then (we have never even reached a semi final, an appalling record in that competition) they just looked at me blankly and kept saying we were going to win it.

Not a clue, no idea of the game, just event junkies. Again, nothing wrong with that, nice bunch of lads and all. But to be the best fans at anything, you need to do more than just turn up in big numbers at the glamour events and drink IMHO.

How long in your opinion is adequate to wait before having fun again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

You're obviously a fan of a club that are expected to win every week. Losing hurts, but if you're going to insist on a mourning period after every defeat, you're going to have one very depressing life. Imagine being a Villa fan; they'd have to talk you down from a ledge every couple of days.

Football is football. Nobody wants to lose, but it's life, get over it. I think it'd be pretty sad to travel to France and spend the night moping over a pint and lamenting the FAI's lack of investment in player development when you could be out partying and enjoying the holiday instead. I know which I'd rather do, and I know the type of people I'd rather be around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

The Irish fans got their great reputation as we know back in 1988 and 1990. While the rest of Europe was content with kicking the crap out of each other the Irish fans were just happy to sit in a bar and have a drink. But that was it, sit in a bar and have a drink. There was none of this idiotic carry on that we see nowadays.

I went to 94 and 02 World Cups and again there was none of this embarrassing behaviour, maybe that was due to the cost and distance of both tournaments. Poland was the first opportunity the new fans had of a tournament and I think they see themselves as carrying the baton on for the Irish fans reputation.

Instead of sitting in a bar and just getting on with things they feel they need to be in your face with their great behaviour. From what I've seen of clips from Poland and France, they've just become a nuisance, stopping people going about their daily business by blocking traffic, climbing on top of bin lorrys, not moving on when the French police asked them to, and so on.

It's clear to any real football fans that the vast majority of people in france are not regular match goers. They embrace the **** things about football, like "shoes off for the boys in green", that yaya Toure song, and all the other generic crap that lasts 5 minutes in England, but 5 years in Ireland.

Anyone that goes to regular football knows that the above crap never gets sung at a game.

Anyway, the current lot of fans are more likely to damage the "just happy to have a drink and not bother anyone" reputation of the Irish fans, with their in your face "having the craic" carry on.

• Advertisement

ozzy jr wrote: »
    The Irish fans got their great reputation as we know back in 1988 and 1990. W

I remember those as good days - going on tour with Ireland to Italy, Malta - watchinging them in the rain at Dallymount- - now it is just plastic Paddy in a leprechaun hat sining stupid out of date football songs - like St Patricks day in temple day - and the media lapping it up - then in 2 weeks they will be telling us the horrors of Irish binge drinking is - the world seamed more simpler and enjoyable back in the late 80s - and I'm probably getting old & grumpy.

Back in the day eh!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Urgh.

I hope so.

I know rugby "fans" and their knowledge of the game they purport to follow is just scandalous. I remember a group of Munster "diehards" in the local going to the WC in 2007 telling me Ireland was going to win it. When I asked how far we had ever got up to then (we have never even reached a semi final, an appalling record in that competition) they just looked at me blankly and kept saying we were going to win it.

Not a clue, no idea of the game, just event junkies. Again, nothing wrong with that, nice bunch of lads and all. But to be the best fans at anything, you need to do more than just turn up in big numbers at the glamour events and drink IMHO.

The same lads were probably in France :D

How long in your opinion is adequate to wait before having fun again?

At least for a short while...at most, about six months.

Below is a brief but important instructional video as to how one should conduct oneself following a crushing defeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9KXrRUZqtw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I've been at plenty of away Ireland games and was lucky to get to 2 of our games in Japan in 2002.

I understand the ideas people have about fans and what makes a fan but it's a hollow argument. I am primarily a soccer and GAA fan but do enjoy other sports from time to time. Some rugby, some golf, some boxing and the Olympics every 4 years. I think it's great to see Irish sports people doing well.

That said , in soccer, I have noticed an almost snobbery from some fans who think if you don't get devastated when your team does poorly, that your not really invested fully in that team. My own personal experience is that when I was younger I got far more upset and invested in the teams I supported because I had more energy and little else to worry about in life.

I have kids, a wife, a mortgage and I am self employed. Football now needs to be something that relaxes and gives me some sort of getaway for a time. I have less energy and money to support my team like I used to. I haven't been to an Ireland away game I think since Switzerland away when Kerr was in charge or France away in Paris.

Many of the fans in France are experiencing it for the first time and I think it's brilliant that people want to be part of something considered so positive. It's such an Irish attitude to somehow try and make a negative out of our fans who are generally considered such a Colorful addition to the tournament.

I don't really see any negative to our fans. I wasn't singing or celebrating our loss yesterday and it took me a few hours to get over it. But I love the fact that others can still remain upbeat and I remember what it's like when you are at the games how the fun others are having can pick you up even in defeat.

I must also add that being at an Ireland away game is something you can only really comment on when you have done it. Usually you are on holiday mode cause you will be taking a few days off and you are more relaxed. It's a bit of fun seeing Irish fans around the city and when I meet up for the game it becomes a bit of Craic.

I remember being in Russia after Ireland lost 4-2 and we were all gutted. Next thing "don't worry be happy" came in the intercom. Only Irish fans were left and next thing heads start bobbing up and down and everybody singing "don't worry be happy". It was brilliant, particularly as Russia was easily the most dour, depressing country I ever visited with Ireland and the experience of the city was negative. There were kids with Uzis and plenty of daunting looking soldiers herding us out of the ground. Next thing somebody starts making a sheep noise "baaaa" and everybody does it. It was hilarious. How is that better then bitter angry fans getting pissy with everybody and locals? It's a much healthier way of dealing with defeat but just because some people may not feel it's appropriate does make others any less a fan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement