Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

Drumpot wrote: »
    I've been at plenty of away Ireland games and was lucky to get to 2 of our games in Japan in 2002.

I understand the ideas people have about fans and what makes a fan but it's a hollow argument......

I have kids, a wife, a mortgage and I am self employed. Football now needs to be something that relaxes....

What's 'self-employed' got to do with the price of butter?
    Does that make you busier than someone who isn't self-employed...or more entitled to engage in 'something that relaxes'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If everybody could just stop worrying about how other people enjoy themselves, that'd be greeeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

People over there have saved long and hard for it, its essentially their holidays. Win, lose or draw they are going to have fun over there, its football folks there is more to life than it don't get so hung up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Zxclnic wrote: »
    Does that make you busier than someone who isn't self-employed

Yes, probably. I'm not self-employed and do not envy people who are. Much longer hours, the stress of not having a guaranteed income and the thought that if the business goes belly up, you're not entitled to the dole? Not nice.

A strange thing to comment on, on a football thread tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

If everybody could just stop worrying about how other people enjoy themselves, that'd be greeeat.

If you could stop worrying about people worrying about how other people enjoy themselves, that'd be greeeat 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Does that make you busier than someone who isn't self-employed...or more entitled to engage in 'something that relaxes'?

In summary, I've got responsibilities that make football a lower priority but I don't see why that should make me a lesser fan. i listed the things all more important then football (why you singled out being self employed is your business) to me now that I didn't had when i was younger.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Yes, probably. I'm not self-employed and do not envy people who are. The stress of not having a guaranteed income and the thought that if the business goes belly up, you're not entitled to the dole? Not nice.

A strange thing to comment on, on a football thread tbh.

Agreed. Being ''self employed'' is a strange thing to introduce to a topic concerning the behaviour of Irish football fans abroad.

Drumpot wrote: »
    In summary, I've got responsibilities that make football a lower priority but I don't see why that should make me a lesser fan. i listed the things all more important then football (why you singled out being self employed is your business) to me now that I didn't had when i was younger.

Being 'self employed' was your business, but you chose to list it as one of the reasons for not being as enthusiastic about the beautiful game as you once were.
    Why not mention 'work commitments' or some such, rather than being specific about who pays your salary. Do you believe that being 'self-employed' might infer that you work harder and/or longer than someone who isn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains

ken early says belgian fans were better. more punctual, louder, passionate.in greater numbers.

from 33 mins if you don't believe me.

late to the stadium as all in the pub ( the real reason they are there)

beaten on the pitch and in the stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

That's awesome man. Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

ken early says belgian fans were better. more punctual, louder, passionate.in greater numbers.

Where are you from? Trying to understand your motivations. You make lots of similarly inflammatory posts on the rugby forum and seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about Ireland.

Sorry for attacking the poster, but just trying to get an idea of where you're coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ken Early is a complete tit!

Sorry for going off topic.

Where are you from? Trying to understand your motivations. You make lots of similarly inflammatory posts on the rugby forum and seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about Ireland.

Sorry for attacking the poster, but just trying to get an idea of where you're coming from.

Hardly an inflammatory post, maybe it's just that 'Phlegmy Moses' adheres to the old dictum: 'Self praise is no praise'.

Hardly an inflammatory post, maybe it's just that 'Phlegmy Moses' adheres to the old dictum: 'Self praise is no praise'.

To be honest, having read your posts in here, I'd rather not engage in a discussion with you. But if you have a read up, he has been posting on this forum for days with negative bias towards Irish fans. He got a card for it yesterday. Just trying to understand his motivation.

Sorry...confused 'Phelegmy Moses' with 'nehe milner skudder'....
    ...they look so alike!

and if he does adhere to that dictum he would agree the media circle jerk is too much. self praise is no praise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

This thread is funnier than the humour thread.

I really do pity so many posters. Enjoy it lads. It's a rare experience for us

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Tram workers downed tools on the way to the stadium. That's why some fans had to walk to the stadium and were late.

Quite funny that fans are criticised for being too loud and not being loud enough by the same poster....

Tram workers downed tools on the way to the stadium. That's why some fans had to walk to the stadium and were late.

Quite funny that fans are criticised for being too loud and not being loud enough by the same poster....

They need something to moan about mate.

• Advertisement

and as early said, the belgians all piled into taxis, the irish piled into pubs.

im in france by the way.

To be honest, having read your posts in here, I'd rather not engage in a discussion with you. But if you have a read up, he has been posting on this forum for days with negative bias towards Irish fans. He got a card for it yesterday. Just trying to understand his motivation.

To be honest I'm just reading his posts as I see them, and imo self criticism is a good, healthy thing...and by and large self-congratulatory backslapping isn't.

where I'm from is irrelevant . my motivation is also irrelevant.

the content of the podcast from a professional journalist is relevant.

just imagine someone else posted the link.and then discuss whats in it.

To be honest I'm just reading his posts as I see them, and imo self criticism is a good, healthy thing...and by and large self-congratulatory backslapping isn't.

this is essentially all i am trying to say. and what keeps happening is people question my nationality, motivation , enjoyment of my own life etc.

nobody actually discusses the issue.

Tram workers downed tools on the way to the stadium. That's why some fans had to walk to the stadium and were late...

As a matter of genuine curiosity...how did that only affect one set of fans but not the other?

where I'm from is irrelevant . my motivation is also irrelevant.

the content of the podcast from a professional journalist is relevant.

just imagine someone else posted the link.and then discuss whats in it.
    It is highly relevant. When somebody is brigading a thread with very specific information and ignoring posts that refute the points being made, that person's motivation is as relevant as it gets. But it's cool if you won't answer, I just don't think that many people will take you seriously when every post is designed to create an echo chamber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Let me bring some perspective to this diatribe, as I was in Bordeaux yesterday. The reason a lot of Irish fans were late to the stadium was because there was a security alert on the tram line. We left the center at 1:30 to take the tram ride to the stadium, a 30 minute journey. About half way there the tram stopped due to a suspect package found on the tram line. We were static for about 40 mins until the security alert was neutralised.

We eventually got to the stadium 10 minutes before kick off. Ran to the gates and after a brief pat down by security got to our seats just as the anthems were playing. Those stuck in trams behind us were not so lucky.

Regarding best fans in the world stuff there is some cringey stuff going on but nothing mean spirited. The Belgian fans were great and very cordial before and after the game. Irish fans were in full voice, even after going 2 down but once the 3rd went it was like the bubble of enthusiasm was burst and understandably the volume diluted.

After the game there was no singing for the sake of it. The tram back to the center was civilised and quiet, chatting with Belgian fans and wishing them the best. The Irish zone around the Connemara bar was in reflective mood, just fans having beers and a laugh but no rowdy stuff.

The French locals and Belgians seemed to appreciate the good humour we injected in to the city for the weekend. It's easy to cast judgement from a distance but having been there the reality among the majority is far different to the rubbish posted on balls.ie

Aidric wrote: »
    Let me bring some perspective to this diatribe, as I was in Bordeaux yesterday. The reason a lot of Irish fans were late to the stadium was because there was a security alert on the tram line. We left the center at 1:30 to take the tram ride to the stadium, a 30 minute journey. About half way there the tram stopped due to a suspect package found on the tram line. We were static for about 40 mins until the security alert was neutralised.

We eventually got to the stadium 10 minutes before kick off. Ran to the gates and after a brief pat down by security got to our seats just as the anthems were playing. Those stuck in trams behind us were not so lucky.

I'm still not clear why this only affected Irish fans?

Surely it would have had the same impact on both sets and would have seen large numbers from each delayed?

Surely it would have had the same impact on both sets and would have seen large numbers from each delayed?

Perhaps Belgiums were staying elsewere etc?

I know when I was there for Sweden game it was Majority Irish so when we were going to the game there was little to no Swedes on our Metro had the same happend thousands of Irish would have been late.

It is highly relevant. When somebody is brigading a thread with very specific information and ignoring posts that refute the points being made, that person's motivation is as relevant as it gets. But it's cool if you won't answer, I just don't think that many people will take you seriously when every post is designed to create an echo chamber

im not ignoring posts.

my motivation is to highlight that the title of " best fans in the world" is baseless, overstated, oversold, and being latched onto primarily by irish click bait social media sites and unfortunately has permeated into the mainstream media too.

not being arrested or rioting is now being equated to civility.

they get a free pass for lairy behaviour , climbing infrastructure, damaging cars, being loud at night , blocking traffic and unforgivable littering. one vine of a man cleaning up cans does not supersede the front cover of le perisien. they wrecked the place. and then move on to the next city.

I'm just holding them to a high standard. they get carte blanche for all their actions because they sing the odd song.

the worst thing about all of it is how it has created a self perpetuating fame hunt.
    they know that if they climb a road sign with their pants down they will end up on balls .ie

they know that by swimming in a fountain they will end up on twitter.

so now its a douchebag talent show with a football tournament for background noise.

i have nothing against irish people. i have nothing against football. i have nothing against ireland . i have nothing against the ireland team.

i just don't think that your fans are as great as ireland think your fans are.

they get a free pass for lairy behaviour , climbing infrastructure, damaging cars, being loud at night , blocking traffic and unforgivable littering. one vine of a man cleaning up cans does not supersede the front cover of le perisien. they wrecked the place. and then move on to the next city.

Jaysus, were are you in France that they had enough bins for all the rubbish of thousands of fans?

Also laughable that you think it's just the Irish doing all of the above.

• Advertisement

Aidric wrote: »

Regarding best fans in the world stuff there is some cringey stuff going on but nothing mean spirited. The Belgian fans were great and very cordial before and after the game. Irish fans were in full voice, even after going 2 down but once the 3rd went it was like the bubble of enthusiasm was burst and understandably the volume diluted.

After the game there was no singing for the sake of it. The tram back to the center was civilised and quiet, chatting with Belgian fans and wishing them the best. The Irish zone around the Connemara bar was in reflective mood, just fans having beers and a laugh but no rowdy stuff.

The French locals and Belgians seemed to appreciate the good humour we injected in to the city for the weekend. It's easy to cast judgement from a distance but having been there the reality among the majority is far different to the rubbish posted on balls.ie

i am in france. not commenting from a distance.

another poster said it was a tram strike. which is it?

Jaysus, were are you in France that they had enough bins for all the rubbish of thousands of fans?

Also laughable that you think it's just the Irish doing all of the above.

another argument trotted out by the beaten debater. i don't care what other fans do.

I'mon an irish forum talking about your fans.

let the lads on boards.be defend themselves.

your media are saying you lot are a bunch of heroes. I'm saying they are not. I'm not talking about any other nation.

im not ignoring posts.

my motivation is to highlight that the title of " best fans in the world" is baseless, overstated, oversold, and being latched onto primarily by irish click bait social media sites and unfortunately has permeated into the mainstream media too.

not being arrested or rioting is now being equated to civility.

I'm just holding them to a high standard. they get carte blanche for all their actions because they sing the odd song.

the worst thing about all of it is how it has created a self perpetuating fame hunt.
    they know that if they climb a road sign with their pants down they will end up on balls .ie

they know that by swimming in a fountain they will end up on twitter.

so now its a douchebag talent show with a football tournament for background noise.

i have nothing against irish people. i have nothing against football. i have nothing against ireland . i have nothing against the ireland team.

i just don't think that your fans are as great as ireland think your fans are.
    And I think you've made your point tbh. Constantly posting negative articles or anything that fits your narrative has the opposite effect of what you'd like.

another argument trotted out by the beaten debater. i don't care what other fans do.

I'mon an irish forum talking about your fans.

let the lads on boards.be defend themselves.

your media are saying you lot are a bunch of heroes. I'm saying they are not. I'm not talking about any other nation.

Beaten debater?

I'm the masterdebater!

Still swerved my question regarding bins.

Conor, it may have something to do with the fact that continental Europeans tend to take their seats at a match far earlier than football supporters from Ireland or Britain. I've been to club games in Italy where supporters arrive a full hour and a half before kick-off, whereas anyone who's been to a game here or in Britain will know that it's sometimes... in, take your seat, and game on!
    I'm not in France for the Euros so of course there could be other reasons, but just trying to help.

And I think you've made your point tbh. Constantly posting negative articles or anything that fits your narrative has the opposite effect of what you'd like.

the relentless circling of wagons , attacking of me personally , causes me to post.

not once in after hours or on here have i mentioned anything about another poster.

but i have had to turn the other cheek many times.

my motivation gets discussed, my nationality gets discussed, my humour gets discussed, how fun i am to be around gets discussed, the sort of life i lead is discussed.

i posted links to an article in a french paper, an article by frank macnally , a podcast by ken early.........yet the default setting by the majority of you is to attack me, discredit me , undermine me.

is this how irish people debate?

Conor, it may have something to do with the fact that continental Europeans tend to take their seats at a match far earlier than football supporters from Ireland or Britain. I've been to club games in Italy where supporters arrive a full hour and a half before kick-off, whereas anyone who's been to a game here or in Britain will know that it's sometimes... in, take your seat, and game on!
    I'm not in France for the Euros so of course there could be other reasons, but just trying to help.

it eats into drinking time. an english/irish/scottish/ welsh affliction

Beaten debater?

I'm the masterdebater!

Still swerved my question regarding bins.

i am in the loire valley

i am in france. not commenting from a distance.

another poster said it was a tram strike. which is it?

We asked two locals who were on the tram about the delay and they said it was due to a suspect package. Nobody mentioned anything about a strike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

it eats into drinking time. an english/irish/scottish/ welsh affliction

https://www.jar.ie/article/ireland-rank-worlds-biggest-drinkers

• Advertisement

i am in the loire valley

Sorry I think you misunderstood my question.

Is there thousands of bins there? In order to put all rubbish in? Where would you like the fans to put their rubbish?

Mec27 wrote: »

I'm ashamed of us for being that low. :pac:

Sorry I think you misunderstood my question.

Is there thousands of bins there? In order to put all rubbish in? Where would you like the fans to put their rubbish?

why do they need to drink 20 bottles of heineken on the street?

why do they need to drink 20 bottles of heineken on the street?

What if it was twenty bottles of water?

And also, I said rubbish. I never stated alcohol.

there are restaurants all over paris. with a huge metro system.

there are dedicated fan zones for them to congregate in. but they eschew that option as you can't drink there .

but they choose to stand in squares and streets with boxes of beer and then they choose to put the beer on the ground. they could choose to buy bin bags while in the shop but they choose not to.

the relentless circling of wagons , attacking of me personally , causes me to post.

not once in after hours or on here have i mentioned anything about another poster.

but i have had to turn the other cheek many times.

my motivation gets discussed, my nationality gets discussed, my humour gets discussed, how fun i am to be around gets discussed, the sort of life i lead is discussed.

i posted links to an article in a french paper, an article by frank macnally , a podcast by ken early.........yet the default setting by the majority of you is to attack me, discredit me , undermine me.

is this how irish people debate?

I dunno, sure start a thread on an Irish internet forum about how we're all **** at debating. It's no different to what you are doing here.

I just can't get my head around the motivation to constantly try to prove that Irish fans are, in fact, not the best in the world. It's such a meaningless thing to get worked up about. It reminds me of that "but there are people who are wrong on the internet" cartoon.

This is true. In Ireland we have a habit of getting to the game close enough to kick off. That said, we left 1.5 hours before kick off for a half hour journey and only got there 10 minutes before kick off so we can hardly be accused of cutting it tight. Circumstances beyond our control took over.

There were a handful of Belgians on our tram who were equally caught out. Most of their fans probably got there 2 hours before the game and also there were alternative routes to the stadium. Irish fans were blameless in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

''Yay we're getting tonked 3-0 and probably getting knocked out!'' I'd be dejected as f*ck.

13423716_1208683315838578_7788849413170938889_n.jpg?oh=9d9ca3d2a2c9716fa16bf6ebc33638ec&oe=57C8097D

Advertisement