Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

NIMAN wrote: »
    I can understand the argument though that after the debacle of the Belgium game and such a shameful performance, 'proper' fans would be very dejected and down and in poor form. I know if I was over there I would be.

Yet within an hour we had videos of Irish fans partying in fountains and singing along with celebrating Belgium fans. To me, these people are those who either (1) have no interest in how the team do or how they play, or (2) they automatically thought "bolix to this, I'll not get on Joe.ie if I am in bad humour, I must still act the candy man and enjoy myself", or indeed (3) "The world expects us Irish to still party, so I'm going to do just that, can't have the world not liking us any more".

Then you have unrealistic expectations of a team made up of average and below average journeymen footballers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Nah. The "They should stop being drunk and jovial when the 3rd goal goes in" are the worst for me.
    Nobody should be jovial when losing full-stop. This isn't an 'entitlement to fun' issue. Just the assumption that if you're travelling to watch your football team play that there is an emotional investment there.

Like I'm not having to be restrained from jumping off a cliff when my team loses or anything, a bit of perspective on the bigger things than football in life being made all the more evident by those who have lost their lives in France this summer.

But you should be a little bit down, right? Not having the time of your life (again this is not entitlement to fun argument so much as what I would personally consider a normal reaction from someone who cares about something). Its the horrible lows that make those last minute winners all the more euphoric and all that?

Then you have unrealistic expectations of a team made up of average and below average journeymen footballers
    It has nothing to do with expectation. Would you believe that even Villa fans didn't enjoy losing every week last season even when relegation was already assured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

CSF wrote: »
    The 'are they not entitled to have a bit of fun' posts are the worst here. Everyone is entitled to have fun but when you actually want to and are having a party while your team is in the process of being badly beaten, making it really difficult to qualify for the next round, then I think your motivations for being in France are being shown up fairly plainly.

With that said, do I think there is anything wrong with going to France to get pissed and have a laugh, rather than as ardent football fans? Absolutely not. Who hasn't gone on holidays to get pissed? Only a very small few.

But it doesn't fit the narrative of the Irish being great football fans does it? Great laugh and great craic on a night out? Maybe, if the Yaya/Kolo sort of banter is what you're into.

But there's no question we're among the worst fans in Europe. We don't have the Russian hooligans or anything which is good, just general disinterest in any Irish football (domestic or international) unless we manage to make it to a major competition.
    best post I've seen on the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Nobody should be jovial when losing full-stop. This isn't an 'entitlement to fun' issue. Just the assumption that if you're travelling to watch your football team play that there is an emotional investment there.

Like I'm not having to be restrained from jumping off a cliff when my team loses or anything, a bit of perspective on the bigger things than football in life being made all the more evident by those who have lost their lives in France this summer.

But you should be a little bit down, right? Not having the time of your life (again this is not entitlement to fun argument so much as what I would personally consider a normal reaction from someone who cares about something). Its the horrible lows that make those last minute winners all the more euphoric and all that?

People are drinking and in great spirits going to tournament games like this, you can be disappointed with the result and still make the most of your day.

It's not uniquely Irish either. Sure wasn't it a great laugh when the Villa fans cheered a corner like it was a goal a few months ago? Suppose you were mortified by that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

People are drinking and in great spirits going to tournament games like this, you can be disappointed with the result and still make the most of your day.

It's not uniquely Irish either. Sure wasn't it a great laugh when the Villa fans cheered a corner like it was a goal a few months ago? Suppose you were mortified by that?

There's a big difference between sardonic gallows humour and having the 'cràic' come what may.
    If you don't know then......you just don't know.

You got that the Villa fans were being ironic right? As opposed to being actually happy. If we can agree on that then there isn't really any need for any further conversation on the topic. Villa fans were clearly miserable from losing every single week. From being over there a good few times last season, I can tell you the atmosphere was generally poisonous.

As I said, I get that there are bigger things in life than football. The kind of adult human who can't conduct family life for the rest of their day because their team has lost clearly aren't able to place these things into context.

But that isn't the same thing as having a great time and a party while your team is getting hammered in what was a really important game (the fact that we were unlikely outsiders didn't make the game less important).

Again, this isn't an 'entitlement to fun' issue. Everyone is entitled to fun, to have a good holiday, go out with the lads/girls. But if you're in the mood to have a party while your team is losing a really important game, then I think it is fairly blatant that you're there for different reasons than the average football fan goes to games. Which is fine really, but I don't think there is a problem for calling it for what it is.

It may have been ironic but they all had a good laugh about it anyway.

I find it strange how much it eats away at people to see others having a good time. Who is anybody to tell them how they should feel after or during a game?
    The whinging here is pathetic. I find all the "drunk paddy" stuff on Joe.ie a load of cringey sh*te myself but you're ****ed if you think it's going to affect me the way it seems to affect people here.
    People are different, they do different things. Just because it's not the way you would behave doesn't mean anything really.

I find it strange how much it eats away at people to see others having a good time. Who is anybody to tell them how they should feel after or during a game?
    The whinging here is pathetic. I find all the "drunk paddy" stuff on Joe.ie a load of cringey sh*te myself but you're ****ed if you think it's going to affect me the way it seems to affect people here.
    People are different, they do different things. Just because it's not the way you would behave doesn't mean anything really.
    You do get that we're all discussing the same topic in the same thread here right? Surely if you cared less than the people on the other side of the argument you wouldn't be posting in it at all. You care enough to be actively posting in the thread.

You do get that we're all discussing the same topic in the same thread here right? Surely if you cared less than the people on the other side of the argument you wouldn't be posting in it at all. You care enough to be actively posting in the thread.

You know you can talk about stuff that doesn't bother you right?
    I'm commenting on the effect it is having on posters here. It's clearly bothering you and others.

• Advertisement

I find it strange....
    ....really.

Well no not really.
    There's a big difference between laughing because you think something is genuinely funny and laughing mockingly.

Similarly, at a match this season the Man U fans clapped and cheered vigorously when one of their players had a shot on goal....but they weren't applauding in appreciation but rather 'ironically' - the commentator's choice of word not mine - because of the lack of any goalmouth action up to that point.

So the laughing is laughing point doesn't work for you here in this case.

Zxclnic wrote: »
    Well no not really.
    There's a big difference between laughing because you think something is genuinely funny and laughing mockingly.

Similarly, at a match this season the Man U fans clapped and cheered vigorously when one of their players had a shot on goal....but they weren't applauding in appreciation but rather 'ironically' - the commentator's choice of word not mine - because of the lack of any goalmouth action up to that point.

So the laughing is laughing point doesn't work for you here in this case.

Yeah but sure they should have been so disappointed that they couldn't muster up the will to make a joke of it.

You know you can talk about stuff that doesn't bother you right?
    I'm commenting on the effect it is having on posters here. It's clearly bothering you and others.
    No, but your assumption is that you care less about your side of the argument than I do mine. Which is baseless. I'm giving my opinion on the topic, and you yours. You're working off some kind of notion that because my opinion is that the fans clearly don't care that much, that I'm in some way bothered, which is again baseless. We're just people talking about something on the internet about something that ultimately has no impact on us, as people on the internet very frequently do.

I think it would be better to just continue doing that, rather than have an argument about who cares more about their side of the argument, because I care even less about that argument.

No, but your assumption is that you care less about your side of the argument than I do mine. Which is baseless. I'm giving my opinion on the topic, and you yours. You're working off some kind of notion that because my opinion is that the fans clearly don't care that much, that I'm in some way bothered, which is again baseless. We're just people talking about something on the internet about something that ultimately has no impact on us, as people on the internet very frequently do.

I think it would be better to just continue doing that, rather than have an argument about who cares more about their side of the argument, because I care even less about that argument.

My first post in this thread was an hour ago. I've been reading it since it was resurrected. It doesn't bother me at all.
    Yourself and a couple of others give off the impression that it really gets to you. This kind of thing gets brought up every so often across the forum, it's always the same familiar faces getting their noses out of joint at the most trivial things.

Yeah but sure they should have been so disappointed that they couldn't muster up the will to make a joke of it.

Criticism comes in many forms, ironic humour, or to mock something by 'making a joke of it' is just one way to do it, and quite an effective way for a large grouping. It's just not the same as 'having a laugh' when your team is trounced...it's just not.

My first post in this thread was an hour ago. I've been reading it since it was resurrected. It doesn't bother me at all.
    Yourself and a couple of others give off the impression that it really gets to you. This kind of thing gets brought up every so often across the forum, it's always the same familiar faces getting their noses out of joint at the most trivial things.
    Yeah, again your assumption that you care less than other participants in a discussion like this is entirely baseless, unless the criteria is that if you think the Irish fans are mighty banter and defend them then you don't care, but if you point out that they actually might not be that great, then you care alot. As I said, baseless argument. Maybe I'd care more if you actually discussed the topic at hand rather than speculating over how much people care about a particular discussion topic, who knows? Lets find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What does "best fans in the world" even mean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its just a friendly media created bit of fun! People taking this far too seriously!

Its not a media created bit of fun.

We did win the award after Euro 2012 and Platini came over to Ireland to present it.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/euro-2012/2012/0630/327235-ireland-fans-to-receive-uefa-award/

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-soccer-fans-to-receive-award-from-uefa-26870684.html

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3284/euro-2012/2012/07/01/3213881/republic-of-ireland-supporters-rewarded-for-good-behaviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

We might as well go for it back to back. We're odds on favorites now. Never been done before. COYBIG.
    I'm sticking with the Russians. With the change from 16 to 24 teams in the group stages, people said that the group stages would be a damp squib. Nobody told the Russians!!!

• Advertisement

Yeah, again your assumption that you care less than other participants in a discussion like this is entirely baseless, unless the criteria is that if you think the Irish fans are mighty banter and defend them then you don't care, but if you point out that they actually might not be that great, then you care alot. As I said, baseless argument. Maybe I'd care more if you actually discussed the topic at hand rather than speculating over how much people care about a particular discussion topic, who knows? Lets find out.

I'll comment on what I like thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Reading this thread has made me dizzy. Reminds me of the time my dad bate me around the garden with a hurley for getting a cigarette burn in his Ireland jersey when I was down in the pub. I felt dizzy for days afterwards. The neighbours watched the whole debacle out their window, but they never mention it to me when I see them in the street. We Irish are a strange lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/6809825/b98a148b/zweedse_fan_is_boos.html

That is how you react when you lose :D

(note: link is safe for work but dont browse away too much, there is nsfw stuff on that site)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

NIMAN wrote: »
    Seriously!! It's a media created thing that UEFA jumped on board for some nice publicity! It's not some scientific evaluation or you don't go through some qualification system or go in front of a panel of talent judges !!

You are taken this far too seriously! It's just a bit of a fun accolade to acknowledge the sporting and good atmosphere of a bloody soccer tournament!!

Sure maybe this year by some people's logic French fans might win it if they get knocked out by Iceland in the Quarters to jeers from their supporters, tears, moans, insulting their manager post match, leaving the stadium early!!

Now that's proper fans!

This is mad Ted!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I could maybe understand people complaining about Irish fans not giving a **** if we lost to a team that are within our grasp. But I personally find it quite easy to get over losing to teams that are by far our superior. Doubly so if I had spent thousands to get over there. My expectations for the Belgium game were low, so I didn't feel too bad when we lost, just acceptance.

• Advertisement

I could maybe understand people complaining about Irish fans not giving a **** if we lost to a team that are within our grasp. But I personally find it quite easy to get over losing to teams that are by far our superior. Doubly so if I had spent thousands to get over there. My expectations for the Belgium game were low, so I didn't feel too bad when we lost, just acceptance.

Oh, i can see that.
    In 2002 Feyenoord played the European super cup against Real Madrid, you know the one with Zidane and the likes.
    Dont think i have ever accepted defeat as easy as that one.
    Thing is, I knew they didnt have a chance.

Ireland actually thought there was something to get from this Belgian team that was in tatters and were fighting amongst each other (acc to the reports)

So yes, some defeats are easy to accept but getting spanked 3-0 in a match you thought you could/should get something from, should hurt a football fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

inforfun wrote: »
    Oh, i can see that.
    In 2002 Feyenoord played the European super cup against Real Madrid, you know the one with Zidane and the likes.

Ireland actually thought there was something to get from this Belgian team that was in tatters and were fighting amongst each other (acc to the reports)

So yes, some defeats are easy to accept but getting spanked 3-0 in a match you thought you could/should get something from, should hurt a football fan.

I get you, but there are two ways to look at Belgium. You could look at the Italy game and think, oh they looked shocking, we have a chance. But Italy have one of the best defences in the world and still have some excellent players in midfield and attack. Using that Italy game as a barometer for how a mediocre Irish team should do was folly.

The reality is, Belgium's team of very good, some maybe even world class, players turned up and did the business against an average team. I was far more gutted with the Sweden game as I felt we could get something there, and the Italy game will be far more interesting. Not one person had that Belgium game ear marked as anything better than a draw, but most expected a loss. It's easy to get over games when you have an expectation like that. Criticising Irish fans for being realistic and not being that upset over a loss to Belgium is harsh in the extreme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Oh, i can see that.

The problem is that there were some delusional people who thought we might get something out of that game.

They forgot that Belgium dominated a lot of the game against Italy but were just not cohesive enough up front due to a ridiculous team selection to actually win the game.
    Those same delusional fans thought that Belgium might get frustrated if we held them scoreless until halftime. They obviously didn't watch the first game and recognise that one of the biggest strengths of this group of players is that they don't get frustrated. They were losing to Italy and kept playing, kept the heads down and even though it didn't work out in that game for them they didn't lose their heads.

This was a case of a section of fans, probably the same ones who wanted Trap's head after the last Euros and are now starting to look for MON's head too, getting completely carried away after a draw against a poor Swedish team. The majority of people were realistic about our chances and hoping we might be lucky and grab a draw or a lucky win but fearful of being thumped by this Belgium team.

The minute the team selections were announced I knew we were done for. It had nothing to do with the selection of Ward at left-back, although that certainly wasn't going to help, it had all to do with Belgium selecting a proper team. The team that beat Ireland on Saturday afternoon is capable of winning this Euros.

And here i am thinking Belgium is one of the most over rated teams in football's history :D
    Not that i thought Ireland had much chance. Saw them 3x recently before Belgium and apart from the 1st half against Sweden they were painful to watch

Oh, i can see that.

I'm pretty sure it hurt 90% of the fans in the Irish section of the stadium. To say otherwise is silly talk. Doesn't mean they go into depressive mood, the atmosphere and unity over there amongst the fans is suckling them into a party mood. It's not that they don't give a shot about the result.

One off away matches and home matches are completely different. People aren't in holiday mode and the atmosphere is entirely different amongst huge groups of ensemble fans who are at a once in a lifetime event for the majority .

I sat in the Aviva on that Tuesday night watching Germany tearing us as sunder 6-1, close to the German end and the atmosphere naturally is completely different. Not because it's a different calibre of fans but due to so many different factors that aren't present at tournament football.

I know up to 50 people over there and although a couple wouldn't be as passionate as others the vast vast majority are true fans who attend lots of matches, play soccer, could sit and talk irish soccer for hours and have invested thousands to go over there.

Whilst others sit on their couch with their laptop criticising and belittling them for enjoying the atmosphere that tournament soccer brings.

• Advertisement

Whilst others sit on their couch with their laptop criticising and belittling them for enjoying the atmosphere that tournament soccer brings.

As in an earlier comment in this thread, i really dont mind the guys/girls over there trying and succeeding in having a good time. I really dont.

I do mind crap as some kids program following Austria - Hungary opening with: Arent the Irish fans great?

That crap has now also ruined 3 Dutch websites i frequent. I just cant escape it anymore.
    Here.... Hollands no1 website as it comes to football: http://www.vi.nl/home.shtml
    I go there for transfer news, not for Irish fans singing to a baby.

As in an earlier comment in this thread, i really dont mind the guys/girls over there trying and succeeding in having a good time. I really dont.

I do mind crap as some kids program following Austria - Hungary opening with: Arent the Irish fans great?

That crap has now also ruined 3 Dutch websites i frequent. I just cant escape it anymore.
    Here.... Hollands no1 website as it comes to football: http://www.vi.nl/home.shtml

That I agree. My FB time line is riddled with irritating videos but I know it's only because it's the same stuff over and over again!

But my issue is with the judgemental mindset of posters on here calling themselves better fans because they think the behaviour of fans over there makes them inferior fans than them because they claim they wouldn't get ducked into the atmosphere over there.

Oh and the Dutch are bores !!

Just kidding! What's the vibe regarding their failures since the WC. It all looked set up for them to make a huge impact in France pre qualifying campaign.

Oh and the Dutch are bores !!

Just kidding! What's the vibe regarding their failures since the WC. It all looked set up for them to make a huge impact in France pre qualifying campaign.

The entire country loved the Dutch team till september 2014.
    Now the entire country hates Danny Blind and the Dutch FA (for appointing him)

Too off topic to rant further :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

Once again it really is sad how the other night is acceptable to our fans. Belgium are a side full of individuals who dont warrant the hype, they have been exposed once already and will be again. They are very lucky to have the 2 worst teams in the tournament Ireland and Sweden in their group. The worst Italian side we have seen, exposed the best Belgium team, a different class and yet some of our fans expect to beat Italy.

If its acceptable to time waste 10 minutes into any match and play like we did the other night, then can last one in turn off the lights, Irish football is dead

They must have done this to annoy me....

The entire country loved the Dutch team till september 2014.
    Now the entire country hates Danny Blind and the Dutch FA (for appointing him)

Too off topic to rant further :D

Irish would never have that attitude. ...

*doesn't resort to checking Boards on date of Trap appointment
    *doesn't resort to checking Boards on day od MON appointment

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I saw Ireland getting absolutely humiliated by Croatia in 2012 and I have to say that no one sitting in the same block as me gave off the impression that they weren't hurting. There were a lot of angry, upset people, as I'd expect from any set of fans in that situation.

That thousands of them spent the rest of the night getting beered up and partying despite the result isn't something that I'd criticise them for.

It's the self-indulgent, cringe-worthy stuff like this singing to a baby video that is going around which would piss me off. Lads we're so funny and Irish and drunk - lets put this on the internet so that everyone can see how funny and Irish and drunk we are Lolzzzzz.

If I was Irish one thing I'd be happy with right now is that even if some of the fans are there just for the holiday (rightly or wrongly) at least the players and coaches aren't. The lads are definitely giving it their best, unlike 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Once again it really is sad how the other night is acceptable to our fans. Belgium are a side full of individuals who dont warrant the hype, they have been exposed once already and will be again. They are very lucky to have the 2 worst teams in the tournament Ireland and Sweden in their group. The worst Italian side we have seen, exposed the best Belgium team, a different class and yet some of our fans expect to beat Italy.

If its acceptable to time waste 10 minutes into any match and play like we did the other night, then can last one in turn off the lights, Irish football is dead
    We were very poor on the weekend, but let me ask you in a hypothetical all-Irish/Belgian team, how many Irish players do you think would make the starting spots? Or even the bench?

Ok fine, but there's a middle ground between disappointed acceptance (obviously you're going to be more disappointed by being beaten in games you felt you could have won and that's normal) and having a party while being battered in a really important game. That just implied you never cared that much in the first place, rather than disappointed acceptance.

Again, we're not talking about cancelling the whole affair and going home because you've lost and restricting yourself from all fun, actually we're not talking about restricting yourself from anything, because if you care about a match and you're losing, having a laugh would be the last thing on your mind. If there is nothing to get over, that just implies you never cared that much in the first place and were just there for the party which, I guess is fine.

Then afterwards, you have a bit of a moan about it, accept defeat like a normal person and get on with life and make the most of your holiday.

Again, to point out I'm not trying to dictate anyone's 'entitlement to fun', rather discussing the normal emotions for a football fan who actually cares about the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They are very lucky to have the 2 worst teams in the tournament Ireland and Sweden in their group. The worst Italian side we have seen, exposed the best Belgium team, a different class and yet some of our fans expect to beat Italy.

Ireland and Sweden are not the worst teams in the tournament, typical over reaction. Had we not scored the own and Long was given a penalty, things could be very different...
    yet some of our fans expect to beat Italy.
    let me guess, you didnt expect us to beat Germany in Dublin either?! We have a chance, its not 99-1... its probably 20% or 1 in 5 times I would reckon. Lets hope! I would be more confident if Walters was fit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

A lot of talk about us wasting time early on in the Belgium game. Personally I thought it made sense to do so as the plan was obviously to press them when they were in possession, and they were dominating possession. Wasting time gave us a chance to recuperate before going again. I thought that, rather than time wasting, was the reason behind it

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Ireland and Sweden are not the worst teams in the tournament, typical over reaction. Had we not scored the own and Long was given a penalty, things could be very different...

Coulda Woulda Shudda

We did score the own goal, and the referee was not at fault for the other night. If anything it an easy cop out to blame the referee for our own failings. I didnt think he was too bad.

Coulda Woulda Shudda

We did score the own goal, and the referee was not at fault for the other night. If anything it an easy cop out to blame the referee for our own failings. I didnt think he was too bad.

Of course he was, if he gives the penalty there is a very high chance we go 1 nil up. I'm not saying what would have happened from there as I can't predict the future but we would have been much better suited throwing 11 men behind the ball than the way we had to defend once they scored from the resulting counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Beefy78 wrote: »
    If I was Irish one thing I'd be happy with right now is that even if some of the fans are there just for the holiday (rightly or wrongly) at least the players and coaches aren't. The lads are definitely giving it their best, unlike 2012.

Now that is harsh !! Italy , Spain and Croatia in one group always meant it was gonna take a massive upset for Ireland to get out of the group to say that they didn't give it their best is an insult to the players and management. No one goes to a tournament to be beaten !! But their effort just wasn't good enough in the end .

• Registered Users Posts: 40 con89

Why aren't Anthony Stokes Or Cillian Sheridan in our squad?

The only two lads out there with recent champions league experience?

(John O'Shea, Darren Gibson, Shay Given, Robbie Keane &Darren O'Dea haven't played at that level in years, Daryl Murphy hardly got a game at Celtic)

Instead the squad is made up of mediocre championship players.

Surely a second striker needs to start against the Italians, and Walters will probably be out. Cillian Sheridan was playing in a champions league quarter final not so long ago. Stokes got a winner in the Scottish cup final a few weeks ago.
    Are they not in the squad??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

con89 wrote: »

(John O'Shea, Darren Gibson, Shay Given, Robbie Keane &Darren O'Dea haven't played at that level in years, Daryl Murphy hardly got a game at Celtic)

Surely a second striker needs to start against the Italians, and Walters will probably be out. Cillian Sheridan was playing in a champions league quarter final not so long ago. Stokes got a winner in the Scottish cup final a few weeks ago.

Because neither of them are good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Because neither of them are good enough

A typical problem with Ireland squads is that we forget we don't really have a big selection, and many players get in because there is simply no options.

Our Centre back pairing being John O Shea and Ciaran Clarke says so much about the level of selection criteria and why I struggle to have any real optimism when watching Ireland play.

con89 wrote: »

Indeed and Adam Rooney was the top scorer in the SPL this season yet cant make our bench?? There are options there but they are ignored. They bring Daryl Murphy and a legless Robbie Keane, and refuse to even consider playing Murphy.

The O'Neill fanboys will defend him at any cost, he' past his sell by date and tactically clueless. His time is up, he should resign after the Euros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

why in gods name did the FAI extend his contract before the tournament?!

Advertisement