Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

Idbatterim wrote: »
    why in gods name did the FAI extend his contract before the tournament?!

They dont have the money to pay him off so even if they wanted to get rid they cant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

but if you dont renew a contract, you dont have to pay him off, its only if you terminate the contact...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

TheDoc wrote: »
    Our Centre back pairing being John O Shea and Ciaran Clarke says so much about the level of selection criteria and why I struggle to have any real optimism when watching Ireland play.

Damien Delaney, the Crystal Palace defender is a very good footballer and he would be an upgrade on Clarke or O Shea. Never seems to get a look in for some reason.
    It may have been ironic but they all had a good laugh about it anyway.

Villa fans were not having a laugh. The atmosphere at Villa park was nothing short of toxic last season. The players and management got dogs abuse from the stands. Cheering for a shot on goal or a corner had nothing to do with 'having a laugh'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Adam rooney, cillin Sheridan and Anthony stokes wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to our squad and are rightly not in it. We just don't have the players , the players we do have try their best which unsurprisingly isn't good enough, unfortunately most of the other squads are much better than ours.
    On the fans fair play to them for behaving well and enjoying themselves. A decent proportion of them are event junkies and I'd imagine are treating the trip as a glorified stag party. It wouldn't annoy me how they are carrying on as I did the same myself in Poland. I really wanted us to win as I think there is nothing better in sport than your country winning however I didn't get too down after it as I realised we were up against it due to the calibre of player we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Berserker wrote: »
    Damien Delaney, the Crystal Palace defender is a very good footballer and he would be an upgrade on Clarke or O Shea. Never seems to get a look in for some reason.

agree , Clarke is just not good eneogh for this level , has talent , but any Sunday league player will know rule number 1 - don't dive in -

O'Shea is prone to recent lapses , particularly at club level , but has been a good servant to Irish football - Clarke must go now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Idbatterim wrote: »
    why in gods name did the FAI extend his contract before the tournament?!

What on earth is the requirement? Honestly, I didn't even get it with Trappatoni.

I wasn't a fan of Trappatoni at all and wanted him gone, but at the end of the day, he got us out of the qualifying group and into the finals competition! With the team we have and the size of our country, that should immediately mean a contract renewal for the next tournament, unless there is a specific mutiny against the manager from the players!

I'm not even MON's biggest fan but at the end of the day he qualified for the finals, which was his job! Anything we do in the tournament is a bonus to be honest.

Obviously the above is relative to the quality of players we have, and it definitely merits a contract renewal for Trap and for MON!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

SantryRed wrote: »

I'm not even MON's biggest fan but at the end of the day he qualified for the finals, which was his job! Anything we do in the tournament is a bonus to be honest.
    This.

However, it doesn't quite apply to the final game against Italy. If O'Neill sets the team up conservatively in that game without any realistic ambition of creating scoring chances throughout the game, then he should be rightly judged as not the right man for the job. The Italy game now is not only our Euro final, but it's a must win final. A 0-0 draw against Italy would hurt far more than a 3-0 loss against Belgium for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

con89 wrote: »
    Why aren't Anthony Stokes Or Cillian Sheridan in our squad?

The only two lads out there with recent champions league experience?

(John O'Shea, Darren Gibson, Shay Given, Robbie Keane &Darren O'Dea haven't played at that level in years, Daryl Murphy hardly got a game at Celtic)

Instead the squad is made up of mediocre championship players.

Surely a second striker needs to start against the Italians, and Walters will probably be out. Cillian Sheridan was playing in a champions league quarter final not so long ago. Stokes got a winner in the Scottish cup final a few weeks ago.
    Are they not in the squad??

You've hit the nail on the head there. O Neill should have selected a squad of players from top Premiership and European club sides. This ridiculous policy of his was bound to be exposed when we come up against better teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Berserker wrote: »
    Our Centre back pairing being John O Shea and Ciaran Clarke says so much about the level of selection criteria and why I struggle to have any real optimism when watching Ireland play.

He removed himself from selection, even though he hadn't been getting games IIRC. Only when it started coming good again did he say he'd be open to a call up. So if that's his attitude, he certainly didn't deserve a spot in the squad (although he probably did before he made his initial decision).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

We're a small country (which despite the propaganda about other sports has massive support for - and participation in - football) where the general football population support Liverpool, Barcelona, Manchester United/City etc and look down their noses at the domestic league which is chronically mismanaged and starved of money by our football association and historically disconnected from our junior clubs where the main thrust of youth development is to punt kids over to England and hope they can somehow rise to the top in a market already saturated with kids that have had better coaching.

Then, said Irish supporters go on a self-regarding Leprechaun beano once every 10 years and get mortally offended that our mediocre players are letting the country down while countries the same size as ours such as Croatia generally acquit themselves decently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Singing babies to sleep on trams now
    On BBC this morn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

We're a small country (which despite the propaganda about other sports has massive support for - and participation in - football) where the general football population support Liverpool, Barcelona, Manchester United/City etc and look down their noses at the domestic league which is chronically mismanaged and starved of money by our football association and historically disconnected from our junior clubs where the main thrust of youth development is to punt kids over to England and hope they can somehow rise to the top in a market already saturated with kids that have had better coaching.

Then, said Irish supporters go on a self-regarding Leprechaun beano once every 10 years and get mortally offended that our mediocre players are letting the country down while countries the same size as ours such as Croatia generally acquit themselves decently.

You nailed it there. They cant even keep the toilets clean in LOI grounds, that is those that are able to field a team. And as for press conferences, let's not go there. Two faced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

mansize wrote: »
    On BBC this morn

Gold medals everywhere for the boys. Cringe has taken a new meaning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

That video with the girl is the single most cringey thing I've ever seen. Never ever ever give someone that level of validation unless it is reciprocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

In fairness if GAA didn't exist soccer would be in a far healthier state in this country,it takes players,time and resources that would be sitting there for soccer if it wasn't around. Its not a neglible impact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

A very fair point.

You'd wonder how many Shane Long types might have slipped through the net and continued to play GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

LaGlisse wrote: »
    In fairness if GAA didn't exist soccer would be in a far healthier state in this country,it takes players,time and resources that would be sitting there for soccer if it wasn't around. Its not a neglible impact

and we have 2 Irish teams at the Euros - you look at the size of Ukraine and Russia , neither who play rugby , never mind GAA - realistically it will be every 50 years before we put a great team together like 1988 - Dunphy and the media go on about Houlahan , and I I think he is excellent - but if he is truly world class why were none of the big teams in for him, he struggledled to get on a Norwich team that got relegated.

back on the thread the Indo keep loading up more cringey Irish fan videos , have they nothing better to do , like reporting real news.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 con89

cson wrote: »
    A very fair point.

You'd wonder how many Shane Long types might have slipped through the net and continued to play GAA.

Damien Delaney & Roy Keane both played underage with Cork. Niall Quinn played with Dublin, Seamus Coleman & even Martin Keown grew up playing ga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Kevin Moran. Played for Dublin while with Man U.

Granted we don't have a huge pick but surely Adam Rooney deserved a nod over Murphy (33 & yet to score for his country).

A big reason Aberdeen finished second.

And this coming from a Waterford man, I like Murphy, but at 33 he's probably past it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

mansize wrote: »
    On BBC this morn

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Gold medals everywhere for the boys. Cringe has taken a new meaning

Honestly, so what? I don't see the issue here whatsoever. They're having a laugh on a trip away.

The begrudgers are actually way more annoying at this stage than anything that's going on over in France. Such a weird thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Now that is harsh !! Italy , Spain and Croatia in one group always meant it was gonna take a massive upset for Ireland to get out of the group to say that they didn't give it their best is an insult to the players and management. No one goes to a tournament to be beaten !! But their effort just wasn't good enough in the end .

I don't agree I'm afraid. Everything about Trapp and that squad four years ago screamed in every press conference that they were just happy to be there. Hard group or not, there are ways of smaller sides getting results and making things hard if they really want it. Ireland didn't want it four years ago.

All water under the bridge now but as a neutral living here and watching that team that's my observation anyway.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Honestly, so what? I don't see the issue here whatsoever. They're having a laugh on a trip away.

The begrudgers are actually way more annoying at this stage than anything that's going on over in France. Such a weird thread.

Here I posted that I had no problem with the lads having a good time over there at all.

It's just this latest video with the baby is ridiculous, cringe and attention seeking. I didn't like the the nun video either. It's just silly but the rest I've enjoyed immensely :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

They play a lot of basketball in other countries in continental euope.Basketball is a tiny sport here by comparison.

The play Cricket in the UK, cricket is not a big sport here.

The play ice hockey in northern Europe we don't play Ice hockey here.

The GAA has the same impact as other sports have in other countries it's just a very convenient excuse for us every time we fail in some international sporting event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't agree I'm afraid. Everything about Trapp and that squad four years ago screamed in every press conference that they were just happy to be there. Hard group or not, there are ways of smaller sides getting results and making things hard if they really want it. Ireland didn't want it four years ago.

All water under the bridge now but as a neutral living here and watching that team that's my observation anyway.

I honestly wouldn't put any blame on the players at all for what went on ! To me it was a trapp the man was so negative and I'm sure the squad where living in fear of getting left at home or not starting of they didn't do what he said. The man was the worst thing to happen to the Ireland team in a long time , I know some people will say he qualified but he made them such a predictable team and sure the croatians Italians and Spanish use this to make bits of the Ireland team in the group

They play a lot of basketball in other countries in continental euope.Basketball is a tiny sport here by comparison.

The GAA has the same impact as other sports have in other countries it's just a very convenient excuse for us every time we fail in some international sporting event.

Surely the GAA is bigger here than ice hockey is in northern Europe, cricket is in the UK etc

The island as a whole has a population of about 6 million & how many GAA clubs? 2,000 plus I'd say?

I'd to give up playing football (soccer) about 12 years ago. Living in rural Ireland, my closest soccer club was a good 20 minutes drive away & I ended up going to a school about 40 minutes the other direction.
    My mother just couldn't cope with all the driving.

I was far better at soccer than GAA back then too, but to this day I'm still playing GAA. Regardless of where you live in Ireland, you'll have a local GAA club just around the corner.

The same can't be said for any other sport. There aren't as many soccer clubs in the ''backarse of nowhere'' and ultimately we're missing out as people play sport with their ''local'' club.

Again, for my part, it's not begrudgery to point out that the coverage of our fans by many media outlets is just awful.

It doesn't bother me if 3 lads change a tyre. Good luck to them. I certainly do not begrudge them their tyre changing. I don't know why they felt it was worth recording, but I would have thought that any news outlet should tell them their story wasn't really newsworthy. But nope, these guys took the video of themselves and of course Joe.ie or Balls.ie snapped it up because it confirms that we are loved and we are gas. Why? What is this fixation with ourselves? Is it some post colonial hangover, some national need for reassurance after centuries of abuse? Maybe it has become news, has anyone seen fans from any other country change a tyre? Maybe it's an indictment of the way in which news is gathered, some fellows efforts to harvest likes on social media gets picked up and they didn't seek such national acclaim. But would they have received such acclaim in other countries, would it have had such a receptive audience?

I don't know why people are moaning and calling the videos cringe ! I'd rather see people out there enjoying themselves then to behave like the fans of Russia and England who where rioting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Just not true. name one sport in any country that has such a dominant cultural and financial impact?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Oh come on, look at the population of the UK, and cricket is played on a much more casual level in ratio to soccer.
    It is also a predominantly summer sport.

Again read basketball in Spain and Italy for example, soccer is far more popular and, again, vast population difference.

Russia, ice hockey- population.

Only Finland and Norway could be considered in this respect really ice hockey and Greece with basketball.

Gaelic is our national sport comprising of two separate sports.. 75% of young men play hurling, for example to a mid serious to serious level at some stage and further beyond in Pkilkenny. I can't think of any notable kilkenny soccer players in last 20 year. (open to correction)

GAA is so well organised in Ireland and most young men who choose a team sport will play same. Soccer is low level, badly institutionalised and with no infrastructure at all compared to GAA. Every community has a team, pitch, proper dedicated coaches, underage structure, school teams, governmen grants.
    It's all but professional at this stage. It's community based and pride of parish stuff. It's far more personally rewarding than soccer for most Irish men.

Most soccer teams have badly maintained pitches (if any) prefabs, barely any financial contributions and badly organised leagues.

To say GAA doesn't dominate our sporting culture is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I would say it has a far bigger impact than the likes of Basketball/Cricket do. They may be more popular in other countries but they are still dwarfed by football, not the case in Ireland.

04-Most-Popular-Sports-in-the-World.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I don't know why people are moaning and calling the videos cringe ! I'd rather see people out there enjoying themselves then to behave like the fans of Russia and England who where rioting

You're literally the first person to make that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

You'd swear the fans are only doing these things purely for the videos and some sort of weird recognition reading some of the comments here.

The fact is this has gone on for nearly 30 years at this stage. Social media is the real enemy here.

What we've seen over the last week or so in the past would have been simply funny tales you'd here from lads on their return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

thebaz wrote: »
    and we have 2 Irish teams at the Euros - you look at the size of Ukraine and Russia , neither who play rugby , never mind GAA - realistically it will be every 50 years before we put a great team together like 1988 - Dunphy and the media go on about Houlahan , and I I think he is excellent - but if he is truly world class why were none of the big teams in for him, he struggledled to get on a Norwich team that got relegated.

back on the thread the Indo keep loading up more cringey Irish fan videos , have they nothing better to do , like reporting real news.

Hardly mutually exclusive now are they?

maximoose wrote: »
    I would say it has a far bigger impact than the likes of Basketball/Cricket do. They may be more popular in other countries but they are still dwarfed by football, not the case in Ireland.

04-Most-Popular-Sports-in-the-World.jpg

That map says it all.

• Advertisement

Soccer will never overtake gaa in irelaid. In fact with the increa0singly huge financial income, increasing professionalism, and other aspects such as the massive popularity increase in last decade in Dublin and coaches and some players getting expenses (and MORE !) for participating, GAA is diminishing the popularity of soccer more and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It needn't be one or the other though..

I don't think anyone is begrudging fans travelling and having a good time.

If only the fans would just travel and have a good time..

But no, we've had to ensure endless videos of drunk Irish people videoing themselves trying to out do each other with random acts of kindness, often making a nuisance of themselves in the process, in order to try and demonstrate to anyone who can bear to watch, just how great they all are.

It's all coming across as extremely sad and desperate at this point and getting more so by the hour..

The ability to drink beer, sing songs, ape your peers and be nice while doing it all should not be something we look up to. By all means go drink beer and sing songs. Just stop thinking your great for being able to do it without bating the ****e out of someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Swanner wrote: »
    It needn't be one or the other though..

I don't think anyone is begrudging fans travelling and having a good time.

If only the fans would just travel and have a good time..

But no, we've had to ensure endless videos of drunk Irish people videoing themselves trying to out do each other with random acts of kindness, often making a nuisance of themselves in the process, in order to try and demonstrate to anyone who can bear to watch, just how great they all are.

It's all coming across as extremely sad and desperate at this point and getting more so by the hour..

The ability to drink beer, sing songs, ape your peers and be nice while doing it all should not be something we look up to. By all means go drink beer and sing songs. Just stop thinking your great for being able to do it without bating the ****e out of someone.

Exactly. Unfortunately, logic seems to bypass some people who cannot see through this gob****ery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Every country has multiple sports vieing for the attention of kids.

Problem in Ireland is the GAA actually have their **** in order. The FAI are a mess that relies totally on exporting kids to England where 1% will make the grade.

There will be a postmortem after this tournament like there always is. If things continue in their current mould, our national team will likely turn into the general whipping boys that we see in every qualifier. There is just nothing coming through.

I find it odd considering Delaney has publicly stated how the LOI and the senior team form less then 2% of his job (As per Newstalk interview with Pat Kenny) that our fans arn't more visceral calling for his removal. Nothing will be done while he is there sucking up €€€ and keeping his mates sweet.

I think "best fans in the world" has varying context. I don't think its to be rewarded for our fans travelling abroad and not being hooligans, that should be the standard. But I don't think we can claim to have the best fans in the world when we happily accept the degradation of our game year on year with no meaningful change or planning, and more so that I'd imagine 50-70% of the travelling fanbase at this event are not even aware of the state of the FAI and the issues causing our pathways to senior football crumbling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm about to show up some staggering ignorance but what is that South American country in red on that map? I'm not aware of any South American nations where cricket is the dominant sport.

EDIT - Is that Guyana? Think so. I'd question the validity of that map.

• Advertisement

Blaming the GAA is a bit of a cop out excuse for the state of the domestic football league although it's true that they enjoy considerable political - and funding hogging - patronage over other sports.

Other small countries can combine relatively successful football structures with other sports.

The GAA or IRFU have no effect on the mismanagement of the league by the FAI or the fact that historically, the main focus of underage football here has been in the hands of junior clubs (with no connection to league of Ireland) that only care about shipping kids to England.

The fact remains that football is the largest participation sport in the country but a sizable majority of supporters in the country spend a lot of money and time supporting foreign football teams.

They're more than entitled to do that, of course, but they can't then turn around and start whinging about the relative mediocre quality of homegrown football and by extension the international team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I'm about to show up some staggering ignorance but what is that South American country in red on that map? I'm not aware of any South American nations where cricket is the dominant sport.

I haven't the slightest clue about Guyana but from Wiki:
    The major sports in Guyana are cricket and football (soccer). Guyana plays as part of West Indies team for international cricket.

Part of the Windies in cricket.

Chanderpaul and Sarwan have played for Guyana and captained the West Indies in recent years. So seems to make sense to me.

I'm all for random acts of kindness, singing when you're losing, having a bit of craic etc,

And that's what the majority of the Irish are doing over there.

There are however, a minority (I believe) who're at it all for the camera, recording everything, sending it into facebook etc

It reeks of ''oh aren't we great, look how much better we are than the English", etc

Would they be so great if there were no cameras on them?
    Most of them....yes

The attention seekers recording everything?
    Probably not.

Blaming the GAA is a bit of a cop out excuse for the state of the domestic football league although it's true that they enjoy considerable political - and funding hogging - patronage over other sports.

Other small countries can combine relatively successful football structures with other sports.

The GAA or IRFU have no effect on the mismanagement of the league by the FAI or the fact that historically, the main focus of underage football here has been in the hands of junior clubs (with no connection to league of Ireland) that only care about shipping kids to England.

The fact remains that football is the largest participation sport in the country but a sizable majority of supporters in the country spend a lot of money and time supporting foreign football teams.

They're more than entitled to do that, of course, but they can't then turn around and start whinging about the relative mediocre quality of homegrown football and by extension the international team.

To be honest the home league is in such a state who can blame lads wanting to play gaa over soccer , if you become talented in this country you are going to have to up root and go to england at a young age if you want to have a successful career
    Men like Delaney and the fai havent even attempted to fix the problems within the league . Money is the biggest one and well he makes more money a year then the league winners do in prize payments ! That and clubs seems to be given a license in this country even if they are in financial turmoil

To be honest the home league is in such a state who can blame lads wanting to play gaa over soccer

To be fair, there's plenty of junior clubs in the country with decent facilities and football is still the highest participation sport in the country.

The problem is that the junior structures and the domestic league have been traditionally separate, with the latter badly stagnating, with no clear progression from junior level to top level. That said, there's been OK recent developments (to be fair to the FAI) where we're seeing coaching changes, junior elite leagues up to 19s and LOI clubs like Shamrock Rovers focusing heavily on developing schoolboys.

The GAA, as huge as it is, isn't a like and like comparison. It doesn't have to pay players (at least officially), enjoys far more political patronage and it will never have to deal with the issue of being measured against competing superior countries in the same sport(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Problem in Ireland is the GAA actually have their **** in order. The FAI are a mess that relies totally on exporting kids to England where 1% will make the grade.

GAA likely don't really 'have their **** in order', it probably just appears that way because of the lack of international comparison.
    If it was a major international sport and they had to compete against slickly run operations in Spain, the UK, France, Eastern Europe etc then they'd likely be in much the same state as the FAI. Torn between amateurism and crumbling professionalism, seeing their best players go abroad at a young age etc etc.

Standard of LOI is poor.

Limerick FC lost at home on Friday to junior club side Carew Park.
    Probably the first game they've lost all season, they're coasting in the first division.

Of all the countries in this years euros I'd imagine only Iceland, Albania, Wales & the north have a poorer standard of domestic league.

GAA trumps soccer at underage level in large parts of the country.

The LOI doesn't do much for promoting their league, not enough imo. The GAA is very community focused, soccer not so much. Might be different in the cities.

At times you'd wonder which of the two is the amateur sport tbh .

con89 wrote: »
    Limerick FC lost at home on Friday to junior club side Carew Park.

A bit pointless mentioning a charity game to show the standard of the LOI. Limerick FC are still unbeaten in the first division.

• Advertisement
Advertisement