Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

niallo27 wrote: »
    If they had boo'ed they would have been criticized, if they had stayed silent they would have been criticized, if they sang their hearts out they would get criticized.

You just can't please anyone these days.

We are a nation of miserable ***** and begrudgers, only happy when we have something to give out about.

It's taken longer than I thought it would but there it is now, the first charge of begrudgery in the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    good for you but you are in the minority, i would hazard a guess that 70% of the people were in poland for the party not the football. 40k irish traveled to poland, and they can barely get 20k at a home game, you may be one of the genuine fans but everyone says they are the genuine fan, much like the 150k people who saw munster beat New Zealand,

Well if I were to tell the truth I did meet my neighbour at the game. i remember him banging on about the Irish rugby team few years ago ad how he would not cross road to see Ireland. Yet he made it to Poland.

Yes you will always have the people go for session, but I can honestly say that 95% of people inside that stadium were people who cared about Irish football and are hurting as much as I am right now.

I wanted to win last night. I am sick of these poor results as much as anybody, but I still will support my team through tick and tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

The Irish fans gave a lesson late night on how to be supporters. The key is in the name, support. You have to give your support on the good times and the bad.

I think lately there is a habit of fans booing their teams after poor performances so it's nice to see the Irish crowd keeping singing until the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

good for you but you are in the minority, i would hazard a guess that 70% of the people were in poland for the party not the football. 40k irish traveled to poland, and they can barely get 20k at a home game, you may be one of the genuine fans but everyone says they are the genuine fan, much like the 150k people who saw munster beat New Zealand,

Irish sporting public in event whoring shocker

gosplan wrote: »
    Hmmm, thinking a few people here haven't gone to many Ireland away games.

In my experience, they're just a massive piss-up and while many fans will have plenty of criticism after the event, on the night they're going to sing their hearts out, partly to show support for the players on the pitch and largely because they're too pissed not to sing.

If you want constructive criticism, then get a season ticket somewhere and analyse stuff with the same people week in week out. If you go to Ireland at an international tournament, you're going to a party.

What do you want Irish fans to do at these games. Chant racist comments? Give Nazi salute? beat up fathers with kids going to matches? Sing about dead people?

Have went to Irish away game in every campaign since 2002 and have got behind the team as 95% of people have.

If anything its the away fans who are the real fans, turning up in places in middle of nowhere.

I mean what do you want us to do after bad result? Throw ourself into the local river or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

The Irish fans gave a lesson late night on how to be supporters. The key is in the name, support. You have to give your support on the good times and the bad.

I think lately there is a habit of fans booing their teams after poor performances so it's nice to see the Irish crowd keeping singing until the end.

Ireland have left Lansdowne/Croker/Aviva several times to a chorus of boos. I wonder how much of an overlap there is between last nights attendees and those ones in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Complete and utter horses*it.

Irelands average home attendance in the qualifiers was over 40,000.

Isn't it wonderful that the 'real' fans stayed at home to post on forums :rolleyes:

I know a few fans who went who never go to a LOI game. The same people are heavily involved in Junior League clubs, giving their heart and soul to them. Just because they don't go to LOI games doesn't make them 'barstoolers'.

I don't care if the Irish fans were there for the game, the piss up or to claim the dole, they did us proud last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

I mean it's 2 games, 2 whole games in which we conceded a goal in the opening 5mins in both. Basically giving ourselves no chance with the way we set out to play. We handicapped ourselves from the get go. This group of players have given us more highs than lows IMO. The next group will do the same. Some of you can berate them until your blue in the face but it won't achieve nothing. Suck it up and get behind them for the Italy game and then come September time we will be ready to go on our journey to Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

What do you want Irish fans to do at these games. Chant racist comments? Give Nazi salute? beat up fathers with kids going to matches? Sing about dead people?

Have went to Irish away game in every campaign since 2002 and have got behind the team as 95% of people have.

If anything its the away fans who are the real fans, turning up in places in middle of nowhere.

I mean what do you want us to do after bad result? Throw ourself into the local river or something?
    How is Michael doing in Australia? How was his trip on the prison ship? Do you Skype much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It's taken longer than I thought it would but there it is now, the first charge of begrudgery in the thread

What else would you call it, only us would knock people for singing and supporting the side, when there are other fans are knocking the **** out of each other.

• Advertisement

How is Michael doing in Australia? How was his trip on the prison ship? Do you Skype much?

:rolleyes: Jesus Christ.

Talk about being sarcastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Fair play to the posters here who stayed in Ireland watching the games on tv giving about the fans who travelled over!!! It's funny to hear them giving out about Irish stereotypes in a stereotyped Irish manner!!!

niallo27 wrote: »
    What else would you call it, only us would knock people for singing and supporting the side, when there are other fans are knocking the **** out of each other.

I think what is irking people is the fetishisation of the act. It shouldn't be dominating the narrative of the evening but yet it is.

:rolleyes: Jesus Christ.

Talk about being sarcastic.

How is he doing?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Someone once a long time ago said we were great fans because we have "de craic" and cause no trouble. So we go to these events, get messy drunk, obnoxious, jump in the water when we are losing and generally mystify and irritate the locals then wake up the next day remembering almost nothing except that we had great craic and the locals loved us. Probably best to keep believing it though.

How is he doing?

ere not great been dead for good while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Means nothing! You're not a real fan!! Singing when we're four nil down!! :rolleyes:

I wasn't there last night, but i'll still judge you because it's much easier to do than getting off me arse and going to the actual match!!

ere not great been dead for good while now.

Too bad he seemed like a decent skin. Though judging by Given's attempts for the first goal.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If they had boo'ed they would have been criticized, if they had stayed silent they would have been criticized, if they sang their hearts out they would get criticized.

For me its not about the actions of the fans at the match, nobody is saying they should have sat there and booed, thats not the point.

What I dislike is all the "lads" chuffed as **** because the fans put on a good show. There are people swanning about proud that we won the bloody popularity contest, claiming that fact as some sort of moral victory. Claiming the Irish as "the greatest fans in the world" as if that means anything to anybody.

Well stuff your moral victories. There is only one important fact from yesterday, and thats the fact that we got destroyed on the pitch. The singing fans are nothing more than a sideshow that the small minded cling to in a desperate attempt for a pat on the head from the international community.

Downlinz wrote: »
    did nothing but stoke the stereotype of the happy go lucky paddy who'll never achieve anything.
    i think you get the sentiment!
    falling over ourselves to pat eachother on the back cos we sang for 10 mins at the end of a game,

Agreed, oh, aren't we just great altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I liked the singing at the end. I didn't like the times when they booed every time the opposition got the ball. Seemed tongue in cheek and all, but still stupid.

I liked the singing at the end. I didn't like the times when they booed every time the opposition got the ball. Seemed tongue in cheek and all, but still stupid.

They booed Biscuits a lot I noticed. Great player even if he is a bit of a conman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Are they going to have an open top bus or reception or any of that nonsense? #scarlett

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Are they going to have an open top bus or reception or any of that nonsense? #scarlett

If we got a draw or win v Italy then I could honestly see it happening. Moral victories and all that.

Luckily in that regard that outcome isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Seriously, how is this still worthy of discussion? The lads put on a good atmosphere last night. While it'd be nice if they did the same back here, I don't think particular outright criticism is called for.

Too bad he seemed like a decent skin. Though judging by Given's attempts for the first goal.....

Best stick to day job.

You about as funny as watching paint dry.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    While it'd be nice if they did the same back here,

flying-pigs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

You about as funny as watching paint dry.

Amazing mixed metaphor - I'm definitely using that one!

Amazing mixed metaphor - I'm definitely using that one!

To be fair to him he's no rocket surgeon.

To be fair to him he's no rocket surgeon.

Why are you?

Why are you?

Dunno suppose it seemed like a decent career to get into.

• Advertisement

kitakyushu wrote: »
    If we got a draw or win v Italy then I could honestly see it happening. Moral victories and all that.

Luckily in that regard that outcome isn't going to happen.

Even if we do somehow beat Italy, not in million years will they get one.

First 2 games were embarrassing enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

gosplan wrote: »
    Hmmm, thinking a few people here haven't gone to many Ireland away games.

In my experience, they're just a massive piss-up and while many fans will have plenty of criticism after the event, on the night they're going to sing their hearts out, partly to show support for the players on the pitch and largely because they're too pissed not to sing.

If you want constructive criticism, then get a season ticket somewhere and analyse stuff with the same people week in week out. If you go to Ireland at an international tournament, you're going to a party.

Sorry, you took me up incorrectly. I think it's brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Absolutely pathetic that a thread meant to celebrate the attitude of our fans can be turned into a negative by random casuals and LOI die-hards looking to put the boot in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Can't believe people are actually criticising the Irish fans for singing when they were 4-0 down. That is what support is all about IMO, I'm sure that the players appreciated it, and I'm sure that the Irish fans enjoyed that a hell of a lot more than sitting there in silence watching their team get played off the pitch. It's a nice change from hearing boo-ing when a team is walking off the pitch, really cannot even slightly understand how people are arguing this. Best fans in the world? Maybe not, but I would say they are the best national team fans in the world. The fact that around 30,000 Irish fans spent their own money to go over and support the team in a group where it was always going to be likely we would be the whipping boys, that's amazing in itself. People can complain about the "bandwagon" or that they went over for a piss up, but that is obviously going to be part of the attraction, you shouldn't knock them for it.

Have noticed more than ever during the euros that there is so much begrudgery on this forum, this thread really is the icing on the cake though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You still haven't told us what our fans should have done last night

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Paparazzo wrote: »
    You still haven't told us what our fans should have done last night

Well I would have just went home depressed. Why are we the only team that heaps all this love on awful players and performances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Wankfester Shiity tbh

Well I would have just went home depressed. Why are we the only team that heaps all this love on awful players and performances?

Great, we need more fans that sit there quitely depressed. Definitely need to get rid of those embarrassing fans that sing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

The problem here is expectation and acceptance. Despite all the preparation for this tournament, we have been very poor. Although we are way out of our league, some of the mistakes we've made have been amateurish.

The fans singing like that at the end tells me that they're just happy to be there. Getting humiliated by Croatia and Spain was to be expected. What message does it tell the players? Wouldn't a bit of silence or at least less praise have sufficed. We were very poor - not one element of this tournament to be proud of.

One of the players (can't remember who) gave an interview with ITV praising the fans and Spain, pretty much accepting Ireland were never going to win. I thought 'Hang on a second. You should be a little harder on yourself. The team has been abysmal'. None of this deflection of blame. Fair enough, it's fine for fans to think this but not the players.

It's patronising hearing all this fan praise. Fans of other countries aren't so supportive, because they expect more from their team and so should we.

The problem here is expectation and acceptance. Despite all the preparation for this tournament, we have been very poor. Although we are way out of our league, some of the mistakes we've made have been amateurish.

The fans singing like that at the end tells me that they're just happy to be there. Getting humiliated by Croatia and Spain was to be expected. What message does it tell the players? Wouldn't a bit of silence or at least less praise have sufficed. We were very poor - not one element of this tournament to be proud of.

One of the players (can't remember who) gave an interview with ITV praising the fans and Spain, pretty much accepting Ireland were never going to win. I thought 'Hang on a second. You should be a little harder on yourself. The team has been abysmal'. None of this deflection of blame. Fair enough, it's fine for fans to think this but not the players.

It's patronising hearing all this fan praise. Fans of other countries aren't so supportive, because they expect more from their team and so should we.

Absolute rubbish, and I'm pretty sure you know it's rubbish too. You actually think the fans were just happy to be there and didn't care about the results?
    And you're also directly linking what you (wrongly) think the fans attitude, to the players.
    And you honestly think silence at the end would have been better? I don't know why I'm even replying to such tripe.

• Advertisement

All I am waiting for is somebody to blame the Irish fans for the performance and we will have heard them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I find it embarrassing. Absolute gobsh*tes in my opinion. Singing that ridiculous song after an absolutely useless team get slaughtered. They're celebrating the fact that they're out pissed up on a beano in Poland. I loved the Irish team since I was a child but I think I'm done with them, we can never compete being the small fries we are but we could at least retain some kind of dignity instead of making total arseholes of ourselves and lining ourselves up for patronising comments from the BBC etc. I used to complain when I went to see Bohs about how bad the football was, but Jesus Christ I've never seen thrash like what we've had to endure from Ireland in this tournament.

You need to work on your self esteem. Pathetic post.
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    We're 4-0 down against one of the best teams of all time. Most of the spain players play week in week out together at the highest level and if one of those spanish was on the ireland team they'd automaticly be out best player by a mile.
    Of course we were being outplayed, out fans knew it, spanish fans knew it and most of all out players knew it. The damage was done, the game was over.
    What would you have done in the last 10 minutes? Sat in silence so the spanish fans could have shouted "ole" for each pass? Brilliant, we need more fans like you. You mightn't like fields of athenry, what chant would you have got going then? I don't think we're the best fans in the world by a long shot, but our fans did all they could do last night.

I entirely agree, Paparazzo.

And you need to change your meds ........ if you can't change your mindset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Some comments (on the negative spectrum of things) from 4chan. Mostly Americans and western europeans. Thoughts on people who view our supporters like this?
    The Irish are fake supporters. For them it's just a trip to Poland and yet another reason to get drunk all day every day. They don't give a **** about the football itself, just about playing dress-up and being blindly nationalistic.
    Sing when they're losing? Thats implying they cared about winning to begin with.
    Implying the Irish actually support their local teams. That's how good a bunch of supporters they are, their league's dead and they rarely push attendances beyond the 10k mark. ****ing pathetic.
    The reason why Irish and Scottish are so good is because they know they're ****. You won't see English/German/Spanish fans act like that when they're being thrashed because they feel ashamed, the Irish expect to be thrashed.
    >Come to support their country
    >Wearing Scottish club shirts
    You ****ing idiots
    >not being passionate about sports and just wanting to get drunk
    >best supporters
    Thank god they're gone by next week. They're only in it for the drinking anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

ZZZZZZZ

Jesus Christ you depressing sad man!!

TILL THE WHISTLE HAS BLOWN AND ON INTO THE NIGHT LADS

OLÉ OLÉ OLÉ OLÉ

seriously lads lighten up that squad gave it all well gave everything they had..

Looking forward to Italy game now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Fans standing there dejected as their team gets a hiding.

Fans suddenly notice they're on tv and jump around like they've won the lotto.

Sad.

Im sorry, but having been there last night I can tell you there was a lot of Irish fans in sober mood last night.

I cried myself, but **** it I am still proud to be Irish football fan.

We got beat by maybe the best team of all time( without question in last 5 years)

you swear we got stuffed by Latvia or somebody.

Not saying its excuse for the performance at all, but to have pop at fans like me for supporting a team when down well you can **** right off.

I'm glad to hear there were fans like you over there, the camera was focusing entirely on the ones I mentioned. If that wasn't a fair representation then the editors were working their own agenda in how our fans were represented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

ZZZZZZZ

Jesus Christ you depressing sad man!!

TILL THE WHISTLE HAS BLOWN AND ON INTO THE NIGHT LADS

OLÉ OLÉ OLÉ OLÉ

seriously lads lighten up that squad gave it all well gave everything they had..Looking forward to Italy game now :D

Gave it every thing they had !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And thats what we got ?

I was seriously hoping that was not the case !

A case of "Beer goggles" , have a look at the match again. we were pathetic

Secman

I don't think anyone is calling for them to have been boo'ed, you can applaud your teams efforts without songs of delirious joy.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Fans standing there dejected as their team gets a hiding.

Fans suddenly notice they're on tv and jump around like they've won the lotto.

Sad.

One of the most cretinous images of the whole tournament.

Ireland: where the World's Best Fans© won't go to another live football game for another 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Downlinz wrote: »
    Some comments (on the negative spectrum of things) from 4chan. Mostly Americans and western europeans. Thoughts on people who view our supporters like this?
    I find it bizarre that anybody would be that upset by Irish fans being there for reasons other than the football.

What do they expect? For us to be all heading over expecting to win the thing? The comment at the end about being glad that Ireland are gone because we're only there to drink is beyond hilarious. Why would that bother you so much that you'd be glad that a team goes out?

Advertisement