Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

1252627282931»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Lighten up.

They went over, had a great time and added to the atmosphere of the tournament without riotimg, fighting or generally just wrecking the place.

Half of them may have been there for the party rather than the football, but so what? Footballs a hobby after all and you're supposed to enjoy hobbies
    I've nothing against anyone who went over there and I'd imagine it was a great laugh, but as you said half of them were there for the party and they're getting some kind of award? For me, it's hard to not cringe really hard at that as it's essentially a King of the Session award being awarded by someone quite high up.

If an Irish politician started giving out awards to foreign tourists for being the best at banter I'd be equally embarrassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

CSF wrote: »
    I've nothing against anyone who went over there and I'd imagine it was a great laugh, but as you said half of them were there for the party and they're getting some kind of award? For me, it's hard to not cringe really hard at that as it's essentially a King of the Session award being awarded by someone quite high up.

If an Irish politician started giving out awards to foreign tourists for being the best at banter I'd be equally embarrassed.

King of the Session. I like that.

Should add that character to Game of Thrones new season, just have a few Irish lads absolutely pished in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

SantryRed wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe you knocked it on the head 2 years ago due to poor quality when that Pats side was probably one of the best footballing sides the league has produced.

Knocked it on the head the year we won the cup, can't really prove it to you so you'll have to take my word for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

CSF wrote: »

Okay I know the thread is "best fans" but this wasn't about that. It was about the behavior of the Irish fans in enjoying themselves over there and the joy they brought to other groups, the French for example. It's not a "best" or "king" award it's just a very nice gesture by the mayor for the atmosphere we seem to bring with us to major tournaments. Don't think anyone in Paris will be embarrassed

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Okay I know the thread is "best fans" but this wasn't about that. It was about the behavior of the Irish fans in enjoying themselves over there and the joy they brought to other groups, the French for example. It's not a "best" or "king" award it's just a very nice gesture by the mayor for the atmosphere we seem to bring with us to major tournaments. Don't think anyone in Paris will be embarrassed

What you said is basically what I said described in a different way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Who gets the medal? Like can I go and collect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

The next time I'm at Richmond Park, Dalymount, etc. I'm going to the Mansion House afterwards to demand a medal for getting pi**ed and not flaking an opposing fan.
    It's only fair, isn't it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

The butthurt from the LOI fans is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Even as LOI fan I agree

I mean **** the people who coach kids, who play Sunday league football and who go to local games, if you don't support LOI side your not worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Whether or not you support LOI is a separate matter. What is ' Hilarious ' is the notion that you should be rewarded for behaving yourself, which you should be doing anyway. Total bull****.

• Advertisement

What if you support and attend football in numerous countries? Are you allowed have an opinion then without it being pigeonholed as being the same as thousands of other people?

mattser wrote: »
    Whether or not you support LOI is a separate matter. What is ' Hilarious ' is the notion that you should be rewarded for behaving yourself, which you should be doing anyway. Total bull****.

I agree with that alright, it's more the digs are just childish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

mattser wrote: »
    The next time I'm at Richmond Park, Dalymount, etc. I'm going to the Mansion House afterwards to demand a medal for getting pi**ed and not flaking an opposing fan.
    It's only fair, isn't it ?

I don't think the atmosphere would be the same when there's only a few people there mate :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I agree with that alright, it's more the digs are just childish

In fairness the whole thread is like listening to squabbling 5 year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'd love if more people gave their local team a look in over the next couple of weeks having come back from France.

I'm sure there'll be a few new heads around grounds but the majority will stay away. And I get it. People enjoy what they enjoy.

I'd have loved to gone over to France this year and had a bit of fun but I couldn't go unfortunately.

"The best fans in the world" thing is a stupid tagline. Fans who support League Two teams home and away don't get such plaudits so why is it bandied about when our fans go over and sing songs in a different country for a week or two?

I loved the videos. Really cheered me up and brought a smile to my face anyway. I'm sure there's hundreds of other stories/events that never made it out and it's great memories for those who went over.

I go to ireland games, I go to Bohs games (70 per cent of the away fixtures too) and I have a few flights booked for some Newcastle games over the next few months.

Doesn't make me a better fan. I don't get an award for it. I go, sit down and watch some football, swear at incompetent refs and have a few drinks with mates after every week.

I think it'll be interesting to see how many show up for the Oman game though.

I think football is worth getting behind in this country both domestically and international. I don't expect a sudden flood through the gates of Dalymount but I think it's worth 2 hours of a Friday night every now and again to check out a local team without comparing the "standard" to other leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'd love if more people gave their local team a look in over the next couple of weeks having come back from France.

I'm sure there'll be a few new heads around grounds but the majority will stay away. And I get it. People enjoy what they enjoy.

I'd have loved to gone over to France this year and had a bit of fun but I couldn't go unfortunately.

"The best fans in the world" thing is a stupid tagline. Fans who support League Two teams home and away don't get such plaudits so why is it bandied about when our fans go over and sing songs in a different country for a week or two?

I loved the videos. Really cheered me up and brought a smile to my face anyway. I'm sure there's hundreds of other stories/events that never made it out and it's great memories for those who went over.

I go to ireland games, I go to Bohs games (70 per cent of the away fixtures too) and I have a few flights booked for some Newcastle games over the next few months.

Doesn't make me a better fan. I don't get an award for it. I go, sit down and watch some football, swear at incompetent refs and have a few drinks with mates after every week.

I think it'll be interesting to see how many show up for the Oman game though.

I think football is worth getting behind in this country both domestically and international. I don't expect a sudden flood through the gates of Dalymount but I think it's worth 2 hours of a Friday night every now and again to check out a local team without comparing the "standard" to other leagues.

Yeh but how many nuns have you serenaded on a train? You know nothing about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Sounds like a nice chap

Seen on Facebook a video of Belgium fans lining up to congratulate Wales fans after the game.

I have to say their fans really surprised me in Bordeaux. Very loud, great songs and actually good banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Best fans in the World on Saturday night with Miriam. Cringe fest.

• Advertisement

Ah to be fair, if it's just young Jamie Monaghan and his family then it'll be a nice touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Best fans in the World on Saturday night with Miriam. Cringe fest.

Saturday night with Miriam is a cringe fest every week, no matter who the guests are.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Saturday night with Miriam is a cringe fest every week, no matter who the guests are.

I find her dreadful as a presenter. I don't get her at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I find her dreadful as a presenter. I don't get her at all.

The piss take of her would actually be better, she's just seems really disingenuous.

The piss take of her would actually be better, she's just seems really disingenuous.
    To be fair, I'd say it is tricky not to be in that line of work, given the amount of gobsh*tes you have to be nice to and pretend to be interested in. The Callum Bests of the world.

Advertisement