Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Those fans paid flights, accommodation, food and match tickets, if they want to sing their hearts out I don't think anyone should begrudge them. Most of us could be in Poland now if we decided to make some of the sacrifices those fans made but we didn't and now we are here discussing them.It's understandable why fans show up for the bigger games, sometimes people have to shift their life around to get to games, they have to leave work early or take a day off to get to Lansdowne road, particularly for the bigger games as increased traffic can be a nightmare or if someone is coming up from Kerry, they would probably be a bit more selective.

Those fans singing are supporters, they are Irish, much the same as people follow their county, local LOI team etc.... What do people want? People moan about negativity on the pitch, now people are moaning about positivity off it. In the dictionary a supporter is defined as " a person who approves of and encourages someone or something", I would consider singing the fields of Athenry when you haven't a snowballs chance in hell of coming back an act of encouragement.

We have seen Russia get a suspended six point deduction after 183 fans got arrested in their match against Poland. Is this what people want our fans to be known for? Those Irish fans have shown Irish people in a positive light, much like our rugby fans. Acts like this give off an enormous positive image for our country. I think they've been wonderful ambassadors for our country, they're over there, we're not, stop moaning.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

we need to change our attitude if we are to progress as a team and supporters. i found the fans singing at the end very moving but also very sad , it was as if they only went for the sing song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

The best TRAVELLING fans. Because wheres that atmosphere when were playing at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Sounds like Vietnam all over again.
    A word of warning to any fans returning home next week, hide your flags,jerseys and sovenirs before you get off the plane.
    There will be a bunch of loolahs out at the airport spitting on you for shaming us in Poland. :D

LOI what a joke, anyone from Cork Citys The Shed remember the 'bring on the plank' song. Was a good few years back, it lasted a season, and emanated from the time an opponent got badly injured, and the medic, St johns guys had to move him , but there was no stretcher so they got a 'scaffolding board' from the side line and sat the player on that and carried him off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I bet there's people moaning on boards.es (I made that up) about how poor the Spanish fans were compared to ours :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

At least with Vietnam they could cod themselves into thinking they could have gotten a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

The Irish fans gave a lesson late night on how to be supporters. The key is in the name, support. You have to give your support on the good times and the bad.
    thats the thing, Irish fans dont support, i have been to every game in lansdowne for the last 2 years and the stadium was dead for 80% of the games. empty for all friendlies, do these people who went to poland for a holiday expect me to faun over them for singing for the last 10 mins of the match??? I have no problem with the singing infact i love it it but branding yourself the "best fans in the world" pisses me off, as most wouldn't cross the road to see ireland play
    Benimar wrote: »
    Complete and utter horses*it.

Irelands average home attendance in the qualifiers was over 40,000..
    now thats horse **** if you beleive the stats put of by the FAI, believe it from someone who went to all games in teh last 2 yr, lansdowne was empty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I bet there's people moaning on boards.es (I made that up) about how poor the Spanish fans were compared to ours :D

Tu es mucho grande trollo!

Tu es un plastiqué José!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

seanmc1980 wrote: »
    now thats horse **** if you beleive the stats put of by the FAI, believe it from someone who went to all games in teh last 2 yr, lansdowne was empty

FAI seem to miscontrue tickets sold and people at the game. So 40k is about right in ticket sales. Miles off in attendances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Those fans paid flights, accommodation, food and match tickets, if they want to sing their hearts out I don't think anyone should begrudge them. Most of us could be in Poland now if we decided to make some of the sacrifices those fans made but we didn't and now we are here discussing them.It's understandable why fans show up for the bigger games, sometimes people have to shift their life around to get to games, they have to leave work early or take a day off to get to Lansdowne road, particularly for the bigger games as increased traffic can be a nightmare or if someone is coming up from Kerry, they would probably be a bit more selective.

Those fans singing are supporters, they are Irish, much the same as people follow their county, local LOI team etc.... What do people want? People moan about negativity on the pitch, now people are moaning about positivity off it. In the dictionary a supporter is defined as " a person who approves of and encourages someone or something", I would consider singing the fields of Athenry when you haven't a snowballs chance in hell of coming back an act of encouragement.

We have seen Russia get a suspended six point deduction after 183 fans got arrested in their match against Poland. Is this what people want our fans to be known for? Those Irish fans have shown Irish people in a positive light, much like our rugby fans. Acts like this give off an enormous positive image for our country. I think they've been wonderful ambassadors for our country, they're over there, we're not, stop moaning.

Your post completely misses the point.

They can sing two songs, wear stupid costumes, hijack weddings all they want.

It's the self-appointment of the title as BFITW that is a load of horsesh*te.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    FAI seem to miscontrue tickets sold and people at the game. So 40k is about right in ticket sales. Miles off in attendances.

I'd imagine the majority of that is due to the premium level seats.

There's a culture there of just going to the glamour games and then not even bothering when it's a friendly or some minnow. Now the fact that we have the most ridiculously oversized corporate/premium stand of probably any stadium in the world makes the problem even more glaring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

you must have been watching a different match than I was. I didn't think the spanish had any fans at it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

How come you aren't in Poland so? A 'great' fan like you would surely want to support your team the 'right way'?

So, the FAI have inflated the figures, yes? I'm sure they would love to do that, thus falsely inflating their income and having to pay more tax...:rolleyes:

By the way, you weren't the only one in Lansdowne for the qualifiers and there was never less than 30,000 there, never mind the 20,000 (or less) that you claim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

thats the thing, Irish fans dont support, i have been to every game in lansdowne for the last 2 years and the stadium was dead for 80% of the games. empty for all friendlies, do these people who went to poland for a holiday expect me to faun over them for singing for the last 10 mins of the match??? I have no problem with the singing infact i love it it but branding yourself the "best fans in the world" pisses me off, as most wouldn't cross the road to see ireland play

Think ya went to do wrong stadium there mate. Ireland play there home matches at the Aviva stadium.

tdv123 wrote: »
    Think ya went to do wrong stadium there mate. Ireland play there home matches at the Aviva stadium.

Sponsors come and go, It will always be Lansdowne road

How come you aren't in Poland so? A 'great' fan like you would surely want to support your team the 'right way'?

So, the FAI have inflated the figures, yes? I'm sure they would love to do that, thus falsely inflating their income and having to pay more tax...:rolleyes:

By the way, you weren't the only one in Lansdowne for the qualifiers and there was never less than 30,000 there, never mind the 20,000 (or less) that you claim.

i didn't go to poland cos i'm getting maarried in 2 weeks, did not have the money, and i couldn't listen to the "plastic fans" like you ****ing on about if McClean and mcCarthey played we'd win everything. i enjoy the football not the armchair pundetary and paddy wackery

Please refer previous posts on how FAI inflate the attendances through season tickets and Corporate/premium tickets,
    believe me if you bother to go to a game you would have seen the state of the crowd. and low and behold we got a full house for teh Estonia second leg, the bandwagen was well and truely started

tdv123 wrote: »

the mind boggles:confused:

stevieob wrote: »
    Sponsors come and go, It will always be Lansdowne road

Agreed. I sometimes slip and refer to it as Aviva but my intention is always to call it Lansdowne Road.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Agreed. I sometimes slip and refer to it as Aviva but my intention is always to call it Lansdowne Road.

i'm pretty sure the guy though they were different stadiums

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I agree that a lot of fans were over there for the craic and a lot of them will never darken the door of a LOI game. Calling the Irish the best fans in the world is hilarious when getting 3,000 at a game in our own league is considered a great attendance.

However, criticising the fans for singing when we're losing is ridiculous.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

CiaranC wrote: »
    Because Denmark and Greece have a football infrastructure.

Yeah I know. Then again where was Denmark years ago ?
    The first time I recall hearing them make a name for themselves was in euro 84.
    Then came the Laudrups.
    Downlinz wrote: »
    Some comments (on the negative spectrum of things) from 4chan. Mostly Americans and western europeans. Thoughts on people who view our supporters like this?

If you check out blogs, youtube, etc there is a hell of a lot of positive comment out there.
    Supposedly the commentator on German TV shut up so that the fans singing could feed through.

I have to say we really are a bunch of numpties of a country.

Over the last number of years we have achieved such bad press as a nation, and then our fans do something with shows us in a good light and all they get from some of ones at home, particularly it seems from the ones who go to LOI matches to watch football which is often worse than the stuff they complain about the Irish team playing, is that we should be someone now ashamed of this display.

Then we have roy the serial quitter sticking the knife in.
    Well roy if you had half the sticking power of those fans then maybe you wouldn't be a flop as a manager.
    Anyway roy you just sound bitter.

Yes our team were cra* and the scoreline stands in the history book.
    But what will stand out for all of the people across Europe and the world who saw the end of this match, will be the fact that our fans still showed they would not go meekly.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

the fans did us proud in poland shame the team didnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

By the way, you weren't the only one in Lansdowne for the qualifiers and there was never less than 30,000 there, never mind the 20 ,000 (or less) that you claim.
    And yet a few posts back you claimed the average was over 40k, make up your mind and no one is saying figures are massaged but there is a big difference between attendance and tickets sold. Maybe you find that concept difficult to grasp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A lot of sports bodies world wide base sell-outs on ticket distribution rather than people through the turnstiles.

Block bookers and others are obliged to buy all tickets offered to them to all matches, the FAI count this as part of the crowd even though they may not have gone to the match.

Complementary tickets that may or may not be used would also be counted.

I doubt what the FAI say about their ticket sales goes towards their tax calculations, rather the actual money accrued from ticket sales does.

i didn't go to poland cos i'm getting maarried in 2 weeks, did not have the money, and i couldn't listen to the "plastic fans" like you ****ing on about if McClean and mcCarthey played we'd win everything. i enjoy the football not the armchair pundetary and paddy wackery

Please refer previous posts on how FAI inflate the attendances through season tickets and Corporate/premium tickets,
    believe me if you bother to go to a game you would have seen the state of the crowd. and low and behold we got a full house for teh Estonia second leg, the bandwagen was well and truely started

Please highlight one single post where I have said we would have done better if McClean or McCarthy had played..go on I dare you.. I bet you won't even find one mentioning McCarthy (or this mcCarthey you refer to).

As for being a plastic fan, I've been going to Ireland games since Dalymount was our home.

And yet a few posts back you claimed the average was over 40k, make up your mind and no one is saying figures are massaged but there is a big difference between attendance and tickets sold. Maybe you find that concept difficult to grasp

To say that the average was over 40k and there was never less than 30k is totally consistent.

I don't have to make up my mind about anything. 3 home games with attendances of 50k, 40k and 30k = average of 40k with no attendance less than 30k. (There was over 50k at the Russia match for example - I think Slovakia was the lowest at 33k). I hope thats not too difficult to grasp...

As for the corporate seats - yes there are some. The claim is that we can't get 20k at games. With an average of 40k attendance that means 20k no-shows of corporate tickets, I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

the fans did us proud in poland shame the team didnt

Sums it up perfectly to be honest. We had over 20,000 fans over in poland for the competition and there was very little if not no reports of any trouble with the Irish fans.
    I have no issues with our fans enjoying themselves and even singing at the end of the game when we were 4-0 down. There on their holidays at the end of the days so id prefer to see them enjoying themselves rather than causing riots.
    After thinking alot today about our disastrous campaign i am very disappointed with the team and their performances and the manager too of course.I do agree with what Roy keane said on utv last night as he said us the fans deserved to see better football and not the crap we had to watch against croatia and spain in the past week. Im not buying the talk that we dont have the players blah blah blah blah anymore. At the end of the day all our players are paid professionals getting paid thousands of euro a week for kicking a ball and i am not accepting the excuses people make for them anymore. They couldnt do the most basic things in football like defend properly and pass the ball. The goals we conceded were shocking and they couldnt string 3 passes together consecutively without giving away the ball. I was watching them lastnight and when we did have the ball we looked uncomfortable and didnt seem to know what to do with it. You would see better football from schoolboys on a sunday morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

There is no tax paid on tickets into sporting events within the RoI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

To really get that title you have to do it on a regular basis, not just once or twice.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Your post completely misses the point.

They can sing two songs, wear stupid costumes, hijack weddings all they want.

It's the self-appointment of the title as BFITW that is a load of horsesh*te.

I was responding to the negativity aimed at the supporters. The title of best fans in the world? You're correct in saying that it's for other people to judge but I think you'll find that most sets of fans will consider themselves the best at some point or another anyway. I've seen French and German articles about how good the Irish fans were last night, so it's certainly been noted outside of Ireland. Take a look at all the comments on the FAI facebook page, fans from around Europe posting how good the Irish fans were last night.

Another thing that I think is unfair is the LOI arguments, they're irrelevant to be honest. I live in Kilkenny, we don't have an LOI team same as Kerry, Tipperary, Laois, Meath, Mayo, Clare, Carlow, Kildare and West Meath (not 100% sure of the accuracy of that list but I'd say I'm fairly close). Also what about those that follow other sports, there's the rugby on Friday nights also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Another thing that I think is unfair is the LOI arguments, they're irrelevant to be honest. I live in Kilkenny, we don't have an LOI team same as Kerry, Tipperary, Laois, Meath, Mayo, Clare, Carlow, Kildare and West Meath (not 100% sure of the accuracy of that list but I'd say I'm fairly close). Also what about those that follow other sports, there's the rugby on Friday nights also?

There is a reason Kilkenny don't have a team, it's because the best fans in the world didn't bother going when they had the chance, nice little stadium too. Fact is if everyone that went to Poland went to games every week the quality of the league and the national team would go up drastically. Would also improve chances for teams setting up in the counties you mention above. There's certainly room for them in the league structure.

The FAI should be distributing all international tickets through LOI and Junior clubs like the GAA do for the big Croke Park games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

I was responding to the negativity aimed at the supporters. The title of best fans in the world? You're correct in saying that it's for other people to judge but I think you'll find that most sets of fans will consider themselves the best at some point or another anyway. I've seen French and German articles about how good the Irish fans were last night, so it's certainly been noted outside of Ireland. Take a look at all the comments on the FAI facebook page, fans from around Europe posting how good the Irish fans were last night.

Athlone Town play in Westmeath. Kilkenny, Tipp and Kildare all had teams but they all folded because of a lack of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Tralee Dynamos, FC Carlow, Castlebar Celtic, Athlone Town and previously Thurles Town and Kildare County but thet went out of business because the self proclaimed best fans in the world wouldn't go and watch them.

Also I think saying we have the best fans in the world is a smack in the face to all the Valencia, Malaga, Valladolid, Hajduk split, Rijeka etc fans who probably follow their teams around their own country and maybe Europe week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Go on to the youtube video of the singing and read the comments coming in from all over the world. its incredible.

df1985 wrote: »
    Go on to the youtube video of the singing and read the comments coming in from all over the world. its incredible.

Got a link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

stevieob wrote: »
    Got a link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmCosY56lRI

Pages and pages of comments of respect from around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

dyson-air-multiplier-fan-with-no-blades.jpg

IMO the Dyson Air Multiplier Fans are the best you can get. Admittedly they do cost a bit more then your standard fan with blades but they are far more superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

df1985 wrote: »
    The arguement that we aren't the best fans in the world because the LOI isn't supported is pure tripe, I've no interest in LOI so I can't be a quality supporter of my national team????
    I don't know if Ireland are the best supporters in the world, I doubt we are but how we have supported our team at all major tournaments has been an example to others, and last night was superb from start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Soups123 wrote: »
    The arguement that we aren't the best fans in the world because the LOI isn't supported is pure tripe, I've no interest in LOI so I can't be a quality supporter of my national team????
    I don't know if Ireland are the best supporters in the world, I doubt we are but how we have supported our team at all major tournaments has been an example to others, and last night was superb from start to finish

Would you contend though that it is easier to be a great supporter whilst on the beer in a foreign country with 15-20,000 like minded souls than a Friday night in Gortakeegan? Anyone could drunkenly lash out a few bars of the Fields Of Athenry after a sunny day on the beer but that should not qualify you for exceptional praise. It's distracted from the harsh reality of a woeful performance and a game that is the harbinger of a lot of problems for Irish soccer.

I've no problem with people out singing and enjoying themselves but Jaysus not need to go overboard on the praise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Would you contend though that it is easier to be a great supporter whilst on the beer in a foreign country with 15-20,000 like minded souls than a Friday night in Gortakeegan? Anyone could drunkenly lash out a few bars of the Fields Of Athenry after a sunny day on the beer but that should not qualify you for exceptional praise. It's distracted from the harsh reality of a woeful performance and a game that is the harbinger of a lot of problems for Irish soccer.

I've no problem with people out singing and enjoying themselves but Jaysus not need to go overboard on the praise.

Well then accept the praise as it was intended i.e. outstanding support of their national team rather than some fecking indication of LOI's status.

EDIT: While we are at it - its actually quite a financial sacrifice to go to the Euros.

• Advertisement

Did you not get the memo? You also have to follow the ladies team, go to the under-18's friendly matches, and donate 5% of your salary to the nearest club. :pac:

Best fans in the world? Maybe not, but surely a good example to the world where there is often a lack of respect between rival fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the point is that without the LOI you dont have a national team to support

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I Reckon the Lech Poznan fans would be up there as 1 of the best group of Fans in the World.

Helix wrote: »
    the point is that without the LOI you dont have a national team to support

You mean that in some broad sense? i.e. extending the LOI to mean all football leagues in Ireland?

Or do you mean the handful of Irish national team players who played in the LOI?

noodler wrote: »
    You mean that in some broad sense? i.e. extending the LOI to mean all football leagues in Ireland?

Or do you mean the handful of Irish national team players who played in the LOI?

i mean that without an official football association led national league you're not allowed to have an international team to participate in fifa or uefa competitions

i mean that without an official football association led national league you're not allowed to have an international team to participate in fifa or uefa competitions

A little matter of fact for the debate then.

I mean without aeroplanes we can't go to the Euros!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

You'd swear Lansdowne was empty for competitive games, the Irish fans were exceptional last night, with beer on board it wud have been just as easy to boo and moan.
    It's also worth nothing it's international feedback proclaiming us to be the best in the world because it's rare a team 4 down have got such a response. This isn't the first time the world has seen this it's been seen at 88, 90 & 94 and in anfield V Holland.

noodler wrote: »
    A little matter of fact for the debate then.

I mean without aeroplanes we can't go to the Euros!

boats?

boats?

Exactly, a contingency. If the LOI was dissolved tomorrow, the FAI could rustle together a few random players from the local astro and form a small league tomorrow to fulfill the technicality.

boats?

Damn...I didn't think it through.

• Advertisement
Advertisement