Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Helix wrote: »
    Soups123 wrote: »
    The arguement that we aren't the best fans in the world because the LOI isn't supported is pure tripe, I've no interest in LOI so I can't be a quality supporter of my national team????

the point is that without the LOI you dont have a national team to support
    We could make the UCFL our national league and we'd be back in business. LOI plays its part in player development I've no disagreement with anyone that but the point is ur failure to support it shouldn't take away from ur ability to support the national team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We could make the UCFL our national league and we'd be back in business.

Christ...would Trap finally give me a chance then?

noodler wrote: »
    We could make the UCFL our national league and we'd be back in business.

Christ...would Trap finally give me a chance then?
    Can you pass backwards?

Can you pass backwards?

Like a boss!

I generally hoof when I get the chance as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

lookitsme wrote: »
    dyson-air-multiplier-fan-with-no-blades.jpg

IMO the Dyson Air Multiplier Fans are the best you can get. Admittedly they do cost a bit more then your standard fan with blades but they are far more superior.

I want that fan. It's up there with the danish one with the big boobs

Can you pass backwards?

Like a boss!

I generally hoof when I get the chance as well.
    TBH if you can do both u probably won't fit the system and may in fact be over qualified it must be one or the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the point is ur failure to support it shouldn't take away from ur ability to support the national team

it should take away from your suitability to be collectively called the best fans in the world though

the point is ur failure to support it shouldn't take away from ur ability to support the national team

it should take away from your suitability to be collectively called the best fans in the world though
    It really doesnt though

It really doesnt though

that's where we differ then

the best fans in the world dont go to a handful of games a year

• Advertisement

It really doesnt though

If there a fan of a national team they do though, u don't have to support a club team to love and support ur National team

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

It really doesnt though

They're very good fans of their national team then.

They are fans of Rep. of Ireland, not Kildare County. Mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Well then accept the praise as it was intended i.e. outstanding support of their national team rather than some fecking indication of LOI's status.

EDIT: While we are at it - its actually quite a financial sacrifice to go to the Euros.

It costs money to go any where on holidays.

Nobody asked that they go, did they? It's hardly a tax.

It really doesnt though

Have to agree, its LOI diehards who are broadening the stated praise to mean best fans generally when people are clearly praising their support of the national team.
    It costs money to go any where on holidays.

Nobody asked that they go, did they? It's hardly a tax.

No idea what your point is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Have to agree, its LOI diehards who are broadening the stated praise to mean best fans generally when people are clearly praising their support of the national team.

Best fans in the world given a certain set of circumstances?

dan1895 wrote: »

??

No, in the circumstances the observation was made i.e. supporting their national team.

This isn't rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Went to the Carling Nations match against Scotland surrounded by empty seats, and the Scots fans were more vocal than we were.

Fair enough if many Irish people had a good time in Poland last night, but the media are already shoving this down our throats.

I was in croke park when stan was in charge, against cyprus. And most of the fans booed at full time. When Ireland play at home, there is no atmosphere.
    When ireland are away, the fans are better, much better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would say out of the estimated 35,000 Irish fans in Poland, about 10,000 are the genuine, go to the Aviva etc fans, the rest are bandwagoners out for a bit of craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

NIMAN wrote: »
    I would say out of the estimated 35,000 Irish fans in Poland, about 10,000 are the genuine, go to the Aviva etc fans, the rest are bandwagoners out for a bit of craic.

Yea, plenty of the people I know gone to Poland wont go to another Ireland game for years and haven't been to one in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They're celebrating the fact that they're out pissed up on a beano in Poland. I loved the Irish team since I was a child but I think I'm done with them, we can never compete being the small fries we are but we could at least retain some kind of dignity instead of making total arseholes of ourselves and lining ourselves up for patronising comments from the BBC etc.
    patronsing comments from the bbc? they neednt make me laugh, the english national side are relatively far bigger underachievers than the Irish national side. If they make it out of group stage and come up against what will most likely be spain, they will be decimated. dunphy made a great sarcastic comment earlier after they beat sweden about how they could possibly now go on to win the tournament, and then paused for a second and laughed, absolute legend!

In terms of fans per capita that attend tournaments though, Ireland would be miles out in front, likewise Id say they are the best banter and never create any trouble...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Idbatterim wrote: »
    dunphy made a great sarcastic comment earlier after they beat sweden about how they could possibly now go on to win the tournament, and then paused for a second and laughed, absolute legend!

If an English pundit had poked similar fun at Ireland, this forum would have went into mongo overdrive.

Even more mongo overdrive, I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

NIMAN wrote: »

Agree with ye but at the same time who cares....would ye rather have 10,000 in the stadium making noise or 35,000?

I was over there for the croatia game and it was the best atmosphere ive ever experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

They are the best fans of the republic of Ireland national team at tournament finals in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Those fans last night promoted the country in a positive light and have spread the Irish brand across the globe! As a country, it's what we need right now! F*cking ridiculous posts in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

A great bunch of lads.

But please, don't take my word for it, check out the thousands upon thousands of individual opinions from all around the world posted on YouTube videos and news articles alike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

df1985 wrote: »
    Agree with ye but at the same time who cares....would ye rather have 10,000 in the stadium making noise or 35,000?

I was over there for the croatia game and it was the best atmosphere ive ever experienced.

When it comes to these tournaments, promote the country and promote it well. Simple as that!!! Get the tourists in, get the shop tills ringing, get the economy started again!!!

Bravo all those who promoted our country so well on thursday night!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

bohsman wrote: »
    Yea, plenty of the people I know gone to Poland wont go to another Ireland game for years and haven't been to one in years.
    Are you for real?

Am I the only person who is laughing at the hypocrisy of the LOI fanboi's?

These are the guys who are complaining about how Irish fans turn out for the big occasions. Yet, when you look at the attendence of a random LOI club, let's just throw Bohemians out there :pac: then you will see that the numbers coming into Dalymount Park have collapsed in the last year!

At the same time (let's throw another club out there, Shamrock Rovers :pac:) - all of a sudden, they have went from having a couple hundred people watching them at Richmond Park, to thousands watching them at the Tallaght stadium. Is it because they have won a league title, or is it because they had a die-hard league support who forgot about their troubles in the mid noughties?

Are Shamrock Rovers AKA Continuity South West County Dublin FC AKA Tallaght Rovers fans the ultimate bandwagoners. Say it ain't so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Total and utter collapse. The Irish are the best football fans in the world obviously.

Bohs - 1558 (2011 - 1,488; 2010- 1,835; 2009 - 2,366; 2008 - 1,993; 2007 - 1,924; 2006 - 1,463; 2005 - 1,976)

And isn't a fanboi something to do with gamers, it's fairly hard to find someone on a football forum that isn't a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

NufcNavan wrote: »
    The best fans in the world would support their own league.

WTF does supporting a poor league with no players of international level have to do with being passionate, commited fans of the national team? Sorry, but is it essential for every Ireland fan to have a club, preferably Irish, that they follow, in order to be a real fan? My old man is a passionate Ireland fan, when it comes to club football he more enjoys watching a great match as opposed to having one team (he has his obvious favourites and obviously dislikes a few teams, but no one team. Even I have turned a bit like that since Liverpool lost all respect I had for them over their treatment of Hodgson and Torres)

Have we the best fans? Yes. Does it have anything to do with the national league? No. Get over yourself

[QUOTE=CiaranC;79216250. The Ultras of the likes of Fenerbache or River Plate with their giant displays .[/QUOTE]

Yes, sure Fenerbache and River Plate are both known for how merry and non violent and having friendly banterish rivalry with their old rivals :pac:

WTF does supporting a poor league with no players of international level have to do with being passionate, commited fans of the national team?

mclean magically became the player he is when he got on that plane to sunderland yeah?

mclean magically became the player he is when he got on that plane to sunderland yeah?

From memory I think there was/ is one international regular in the LOI, some Lithuanian chap.

Every single PL team has regular international footballers.

McClean has been holding his own against that level week in week out.

So yes. In anwser to your question, by going to Sunderland and proving himself he became eligible for the Irish team. My mate is one lethal pretty much undefeated scrapper if it ever kicks off in the pub. Doesnt mean I reckon he should throw his hat in to take on Floyd Mayweather. Should there be someone else in the squad rather than unattached players like Green? Yes. But they dont necessarily have to come from one of the poorest leagues in Europe.

• Advertisement

you completely missed my point there didnt you

good man

you completely missed my point there didnt you

good man

What was the point?

Because my point was I dont care how good McClean looked against Wexford Youths, he would not be eligible for the Ireland squad until he had to square off against at least championship level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

stovelid wrote: »
    If an English pundit had poked similar fun at Ireland, this forum would have went into mongo overdrive.

Even more mongo overdrive, I mean.

Like this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056658569

The bottom line is, nobody in the rest of Europe could give a flying fcuk wherther our fans support some sh1te team that plays 100 miles away from where ost of them live.

The bottom line is, every country and every support group cnt get over that even when we are losing all we can do is keep chanting, keep singing, because although we know its over we are thinking of the next qualifiers, we are thinking and hoping that next time we will do better.

So for anyone trying to drag LOI negativity into it, take a day off lads, seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The bottom line is, nobody in the rest of Europe could give a flying fcuk wherther our fans support some sh1te team that plays 100 miles away from where ost of them live.

The bottom line is, every country and every support group cnt get over that even when we are losing all we can do is keep chanting, keep singing, because although we know its over we are thinking of the next qualifiers, we are thinking and hoping that next time we will do better.

So for anyone trying to drag LOI negativity into it, take a day off lads, seriously.

ex-AG 98
    Posted: Jun 10 2012, 09:53 PM

Club: Hellas Verona

Group: Members
    Member No.: 7,974

QUOTE (Nik4 @ Jun 10 2012, 10:34 PM)
    well i dont think england fans are better (in singing i dont talk about fights) they lost and they singed...meanwhile england fans the only chant they have is saying really fast england england england england engalnd england so dont hate on ireland fans just saying

who is talking about england fans? the topic was the ireland support. they should not be judged as true football fans because they are not. they are just there for a party. that's why for them it's easy to sing even if the team loses because basically they don't really care about the football. they are just their for a holiday nothing more.

on an ultras forum you should be subjective. a support isn't great just because it sings loud or because they have a lot of numbers. you have to look behind the reasons for it.

simmie dio boia simmie dio boia simmie dio boia ...

http://z6.invisionfree.com/UltrasTifosi/index.php?

even when we are losing all we can do is keep chanting, keep singing

Except for the first twenty minutes after going 3:1 down v Croatia when there was total silence from the Ireland fans.

But let's not allow that ruin the spunkfest. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Zebra3 wrote: »
    even when we are losing all we can do is keep chanting, keep singing

Except for the first twenty minutes after going 3:1 down v Croatia when there was total silence from the Ireland fans.

But let's not allow that ruin the spunkfest. :rolleyes:
    Fans can't really win can they, vilified for singing when we're losing, vilified for not singing when we're losing.

I hate the pretentious attitude from some of the LOI fans here, fair enough support your local side, but what's the point acting the cnut to people on here who don't?

If anything the attitude of some here would steer people away, who wants to go watch a match with a bunch of bitter pretentious folk?

CiaranC wrote: »
    ex-AG 98
    Posted: Jun 10 2012, 09:53 PM

Club: Hellas Verona

Group: Members
    Member No.: 7,974

QUOTE (Nik4 @ Jun 10 2012, 10:34 PM)
    well i dont think england fans are better (in singing i dont talk about fights) they lost and they singed...meanwhile england fans the only chant they have is saying really fast england england england england engalnd england so dont hate on ireland fans just saying

who is talking about england fans? the topic was the ireland support. they should not be judged as true football fans because they are not. they are just there for a party. that's why for them it's easy to sing even if the team loses because basically they don't really care about the football. they are just their for a holiday nothing more.

on an ultras forum you should be subjective. a support isn't great just because it sings loud or because they have a lot of numbers. you have to look behind the reasons for it.

simmie dio boia simmie dio boia simmie dio boia ...

http://z6.invisionfree.com/UltrasTifosi/index.php?

Lets not have this ultra bollix. Ultras are, generally, scumbags. Make no mistake about it- it is all flares, aggression, hate filled banners. You wont get European ultras posing for photos or having a banter like we did with Croats in Oz after getting pummeled. Ultras, flares, **** in general. Football does not need European ultras. Why? Because they are, mostly, with some exceptions, twats who care more about showing up for their sh1te teams game to burn their sh1te flares and intimidate the rival fans than they care about actually watching the match. Dont get me wrong, I 100% agree that if a foreign team comes to Landsdowne the fans should try and make it feel like a fortress, hostile as fcuk (although let me guess- you say the above and yet you are probably one of those that thinks that trying to put off former/ current Gers players with booing is out of order. You cant have it both ways mate). But foreign ultras will not, at the end of the match, be having a banter. Irish fans, whether we win lose or draw, will still shake the hand of the foreign fans and say either hard luck or well done, and will have the craic. That is what sets our boys apart from these ultra ****.

Fans can't really win can they, vilified for singing when we're losing, vilified for not singing when we're losing.

I'm merely pointing out the bs claims about how great some people think they are for singing when they are losing when they spent a lot of time in silence when they're team was getting drubbed.

I hate the pretentious attitude from some of the LOI fans here, fair enough support your local side, but what's the point acting the cnut to people on here who don't?

It's safe to say plenty hate the pretentious attitude of the self-appointed BFITW.
    If anything the attitude of some here would steer people away, who wants to go watch a match with a bunch of bitter pretentious folk?

Right back at you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

I'm merely pointing out the bs claims about how great some people think they are for singing when they are losing when they spent a lot of time in silence when they're team was getting drubbed.

Sure you are,:)
    It's safe to say plenty hate the pretentious attitude of the self-appointed BFITW.

Sorry I'm not down with the youth lingo, bfitw?
    Edit - derp, nvm!
    Right back at you.

My question was rhetorical, no need to direct it back at me.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/15/the-fiver-england-ireland-euro-2012
    O'Ireland's national team is managed by a man who bases his entire approach on the premise that the country's players are rubbish. They're certainly not good enough to go toe to toe with Spain's tikitakocrats but a more positive manager would have picked players and employed tactics more likely to achieve respectability than the rabble that got the runaround last night. It might have been interesting to hear the thoughts of FAI prize cabbage John Delaney on O'Ireland's plans for the future, but he was too busy proclaiming his country's fans as the best in the world even though he knows the average attendance at a League of Ireland game is less than 1,000.

Delaney's annual salary is several multiples of the amount that Shamrock Rovers got for winning that league this year and he knows that, given the derelict league and primitive development infrastructure over which he gazes, O'Ireland will only start cultivating more creative players when the clubs that its fans support and players play for do … ie when England decides to.

Nail on head.

LOI fan disagrees and they're pretentious. Ultras disagree and they're violent wan*ers. No one dare question the all great Irish fans.

There were about 35,000 fans in Poznan. I'd say maybe 2-3000 would watch a loi team regularly, maybe another 5-6000 would have some involvement with a club at some level. 15,000 would get their football of the television and the rest probably give out about the sport the rest of the time.

LOI fan disagrees and they're pretentious. Ultras disagree and they're violent wan*ers. No one dare question the all great Irish fans.

There were about 35,000 fans in Poznan. I'd say maybe 2-3000 would watch a loi team regularly, maybe another 5-6000 would have some involvement with a club at some level. 15,000 would get their football of the television and the rest probably give out about the sport the rest of the time.

And there are near on 40,000 in Landsdowne for a match. And by your maths 30,000 in Poland were fairweather tourists?

Nigga pleasssssse :pac: :pac: :pac:

Get over it lads. We support our national team over petty town vs town, city vs city, county vs county rivalries. Northmen, southmen, comrades all, Dublin Belfast Cork and Donegal, as the songs says Ergo- shove your club loyalties up your hole IMO.

We support our national team over petty town vs town, city vs city, county vs county rivalries.

Oh but don't you see that's the fun thing about supporting a football club in any country, those rivalries are the bread and butter of the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I have still ye to see a reasonable solution as to what the Irish fans should have done other then singing the other night too?

I support Cork City have been to 3(2 have been away) of their games this season. Mostly working in Dublin these days so find it hard to get down.

But I know plenty of people who do not support any LOI side.

I know guy who pretty much runs a football club single handed. He trains all teams from U12 upwards. He does not support Cork City or any LOI club. He did produce a lad to make few caps for Ireland though. He was in Poland. But sure he does not support a LOI club so hell be with him eh:rolleyes:

This thing that you have to support a LOI team is complete and utter crap.

• Advertisement

I have still ye to see a reasonable solution as to what the Irish fans should have done other then singing the other night too?

That's not what the thread is about.

Some deluded people think Ireland's national team fans are the BFITW because they sang the other night when their team was losing. Hardly historic stuff. :rolleyes:

For those who think Ireland's fans are the BFITW...

Who did they win this accolade from? :confused:

How do you become BFITW during a European only tournament? :confused:

What if there's better fans of a team that didn't qualify? :confused:

Get over it lads. We support our national team over petty town vs town, city vs city, county vs county rivalries. Northmen, southmen, comrades all, Dublin Belfast Cork and Donegal, as the songs says Ergo- shove your club loyalties up your hole IMO.

But love the British club loyalties? :confused:

That's not what the thread is about.

Some deluded people think Ireland's national team fans are the BFITW because they sang the other night when their team was losing. Hardly historic stuff. :rolleyes:

For those who think Ireland's fans are the BFITW...

Who did they win this accolade from? :confused:

How do you become BFITW during a European only tournament? :confused:

What if there's better fans of a team that didn't qualify? :confused:

Why do you want people to answer your questions when you cant answer anybody else question?

Best fans in the world? I dont know, honestly I don't really give two hoots about if we are or are not. Its subject that nobody will agree on. Its like talking about Messi or Maradona.

But you cant question for one second how Irish fans get behind their team even at the bleakest time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Can't see why people are getting their knickers in a twist over this. Who cares if a few people think that the Irish are the BFITW? It's completely harmless.

Can't see why people are getting their knickers in a twist over this. Who cares if a few people think that the Irish are the BFITW? It's completely harmless.

Nail on head.

• Advertisement
Advertisement