Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Can I also point out that the commentators in Germany actually stopped talking for 6 minutes in appreciation of listening to the fans.

And well all these countries might praise us. Their teams will all be in the mix. We're going home with reddened arses after the spankings we've got. I'd doubt the sentiment would be the same if it was Germany on the receiving end of the beating.

It is fücking pity points and that annoys me. As the lads on ITV said 'happy drunks'. A sad day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Irish fans were utterly terrific the other night, why so much begrudgery towards them? Folk spent a lot of money to go all the way to Poland so they're dead right to try and enjoy themselves even though the team let them down badly.

The cheek of them enjoying themselves eh? Sometimes I think that folk would much prefer them to riot then to sing, get pissed and have a ball.

People have complained when we were quiet and also when we sang.

One those lose/lose situations where people will just have dig for sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

And well all these countries might praise us. Their teams will all be in the mix. We're going home with reddened arses after the spankings we've got. I'd doubt the sentiment would be the same if it was Germany on the receiving end of the beating.

It is fücking pity points and that annoys me. As the lads on ITV said 'happy drunks'. A sad day.

To be honest, I couldn't give two fcks what the patronising goons on the ITV or BBC panels say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Yep, we should of cornered on a few Spanish fans and beat the crap out of them. That would of showed them.

The fans could not change the outcome of the game and didn't get violent and abusive,instead they sang and stood proud to be Irish for a few minutes. THIS is the point that media around the world is trying to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

CiaranC wrote: »
    I didnt...I did, however, take a day off
    What can you really say to that.

Do you think you are a better fan than most of the people in poland?

• Advertisement

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Yep, we should of cornered on a few Spanish fans and beat the crap out of them. That would of showed them.

The fans could not change the outcome of the game and didn't get violent and abusive,instead they sang and stood proud to be Irish for a few minutes. THIS is the point that media around the world is trying to say

A dumb, retarded post. Really and truly. Does every opinion have to be extreme? can the fans not just stand there applaud off our tries and trudge home having seen their team well and truly hosed.

Why would you advocate violence? Answer me that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Lol, one of the usual arguments from EPL fans is that LOI fans that go to games wrongly think that they are better fans than people that go to the odd game in England and watch some more on the telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think he is, even if he does support a bunch of **** **** **** (don't worry Ciaran, they're just stars)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

A dumb, retarded post. Really and truly. Does every opinion have to be extreme? can the fans not just stand there applaud off our tries and trudge home having seen their team well and truly hosed.

They could have. But on this occasion, they sang their hearts out!! The begrudgery of the Irish at times is unreal!!

I mean, what exactly is the problem here!! They sang their songs, so bloody what??

monkey9 wrote: »
    They could have. But on this occasion, they sang their hearts out!! The begrudgery of the Irish at times is unreal!!

I mean, what exactly is the problem here!! They sang their songs, so bloody what??

And they are half way to sainthood! Pure daftness. The self congratulations is all the worse!

• Advertisement

And they are half way to sainthood! Pure daftness. The self congratulations is all the worse!

What self congratulations?? This made the media all over the world!! With the Troubles and lately, the economic situation that Ireland has found itself in and all the negative news that has gone around the world about this country, those fans have put a positive spin back on Ireland!!

They go over there as ambassadors of this country like all football fans in the tournament and they've promoted Ireland brilliantly!!

Dont you just love people who make up something to make their point feel a little more worthwhile.

*as I tap myself on the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

so people are moaning because the Irish fans sang their hearts out before,during and after the 2 games.

do you want the people who travelled to poland to kick the shyt out of other fans like the russians have done even when their team are winning and doing well.

What self congratulations?? This made the media all over the world!! With the Troubles and lately, the economic situation that Ireland has found itself in and all the negative news that has gone around the world about this country, those fans have put a positive spin back on Ireland!!

They go over there as ambassadors of this country like all football fans in the tournament and they've promoted Ireland brilliantly!!

So? Is basic manners and cop on abroad now something to be congratulated? People are really losing the run of themselves here. They went over had a good time and were well behaved. This should be a given.

markie29 wrote: »
    so people are moaning because the Irish fans sang their hearts out before,during and after the 2 games.

do you want the people who travelled to poland to kick the shyt out of other fans like the russians have done even when their team are winning and doing well.

Again, why the advocation of violence? Answer me this why is violence the only alternative behavior being promoted on here? Singing is fine, but the supporters being lauded for their 'support' is ridiculous. It is easy to be in good voice when you are out on a two week holiday.

Miles too much being made out of this. We were hammered by Spain, we're on our way to being on record the worst team ever at the Euros. That is the central story of our euros.

Dont you just love people who make up something to make their point feel a little more worthwhile.

*as I tap myself on the back

Make up what? Evidence?

Again, why the advocation of violence? Answer me this why is violence the only alternative behavior being promoted on here? Singing is fine, but the supporters being lauded for their 'support' is ridiculous. It is easy to be in good voice when you are out on a two week holiday.

Miles too much being made out of this. We were hammered by Spain, we're on our way to being on record the worst team ever at the Euros. That is the central story of our euros.

What has that then got to do with the fans?

Should you not be talking about the players then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What exactly are the moaners advocating the Irish fans should have done?

I'd love to hear it.

noodler wrote: »

I'd love to hear it.
    The only thing I could suggest is actually support the team all year long. I thought they were great the other night. I just found it a bit cheap that nobody cared too much for the 10 years between 2002 and 2012.

noodler wrote: »

I'd love to hear it.

Did you not hear?

Its a toss between being Depressed after the game or clapping the team after the final whistle.

We await the final results.

• Advertisement

So? Is basic manners and cop on abroad now something to be congratulated? People are really losing the run of themselves here. They went over had a good time and were well behaved. This should be a given.

I don't bleeding know, ask the world's media!! You're the one moaning about the Irish fans singing at four nil down

Did you not hear?

Its a toss between being Depressed after the game or clapping the team after the final whistle.

We await the final results.

Don't forget beating up opposing fans. A good few advocates for that as an alternative.

It's not what the fans should be doing or not doing. Good behaviour a given. It is the fetishisation of their actions. Completely unnecessary and it's just over-wrought, mawkish codswallop.

Why does their support need to be the narrative of the evening? Answer me that.

I don't bleeding know, ask the world's media!! You're the one moaning about the Irish fans singing at four nil down

So you're unsure about at point. My god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

CSF wrote: »
    I think he is, even if he does support a bunch of **** **** **** (don't worry Ciaran, they're just stars)
    Despite the fact he's whinging on the internet about fans singing in poland, he's a better fan than them, how so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Why does their support need to be the narrative of the evening? Answer me that

Look at the title of the thread as an answer. This thread is not talking about the quality of football but the actions of the fans.

Despite the fact he's whinging on the internet about fans singing in poland, he's a better fan than them, how so?
    Well do you mean a better fan of Ireland the national team? In that case, no he isn't.

But I thought we were referring to him as a ******** Rovers fan (again relax lads, they're just stars). Possibly a misunderstanding.

Why does their support need to be the narrative of the evening? Answer me that.

Was it? Well to me it wasn't and for anybody that cared about the team would much rather we had played much better and maybe just got result against Spain. All my friends were just as downbeat as I was.

The one thing I was worried about after the game is that I would see photo of me in papers next day with few tears running down my face looking like idiot in the stadium.

But you got give credit for the support even in its worst hour on European stage. It was some bit of comfort.

Dont begrudge us that for **** sake.

So you're unsure about at point. My god.

Hold on, you've said that the Irish fans singing the other night is basic manners and cop on!! So what are you moaning about?? If it's just basic manners and cop on, why do you suggest they should't have done it and just stayed quiet and trudged home instead??

Was it? Well to me it wasn't and for anybody that cared about the team would much rather we had played much better and maybe just got result against Spain. All my friends were just as downbeat as I was.

The one thing I was worried about after the game is that I would see photo of me in papers next day with few tears running down my face looking like idiot in the stadium.

But you got give credit for the support even in its worst hour on European stage. It was some bit of comfort.

Dont begrudge us that for **** sake.
    That is a fair point and it's taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Just back from the first two games. Some people here seem to think the supporters were looking for praise. Im just in the door and havent seen any news but from what I saw we were all fairly dejected but it was obvious that the team had put in a lot of effort and people just wanted to acknowledge it.

As for us all being plastered, it took me an hour to get to the stadium in the rain and the only beer in the stadium is non alcaholic so we were more hungover then anything else at that stage.

I saw no one vomitting on the streets.
    There was a lot of people urinating in public places but with the ridiculous lack of toilets that was always going to happen.
    We got on very well with the poles, croats and spaniards.
    I had lots of Poles telling me they were so impressed with us that they plan on wearing green for Ireland vs Italy wherever they watch it.
    The fans were fantastic ambassadores for the country and thats all you can ask for, no one wanted to be called best fans in the world or anything like that.

Well that's it!! All you can do when you go over is promote the country well. Right now in a square in Poznan, there's a load of Irish mixing with the locals all cheering on Poland!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

He didn't. He was being ironic. You didn't understand.

Now who has the dumb retarded post eh? ;)

Yep, it was a perfectly acceptable contrast!!! When a team gets knocked out of a Euros or a World Cup, if that team's fans make the news, it's pretty much because they went on the rampage.

The Irish fans have made the news across the globe, but it's for positive reasons!! As i've said previously, they've promoted the country brilliantly, far better than the banks, developers, politicians etc have!!

It was brilliant to see and hear that display that night and it's unbelievable that people will come on here and criticize the fans for it!!

His, still. Nothing ironic in his posting.

Yep, it was a perfectly acceptable contrast!!! When a team gets knocked out of a Euros or a World Cup, if that team's fans make the news, it's pretty much because they went on the rampage.

The Irish fans have made the news across the globe, but it's for positive reasons!! As i've said previously, they've promoted the country brilliantly, far better than the banks, developers, politicians etc have!!

It was brilliant to see and hear that display that night and it's unbelievable that people will come on here and criticize the fans for it!!

Absolutely not an acceptable contrast, a retarded contrast. A moronic extreme that has no relevance to the debate. There can be a middle ground. Unusual here on these boards but sure there you have it.

Sing or fight. Welcome to boards soccer. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Absolutely not an acceptable contrast, a retarded contrast. A moronic extreme that has no relevance to the debate. There can be a middle ground. Unusual here on these boards but sure there you have it.

Sing or fight. Welcome to boards soccer. :rolleyes:

Of course it's an acceptable contrast!! You're the one giving out about the fans singing in the last few minutes of the match! You're making it an issue yourself by giving out about it! You'd rather they politely applauded and trudged off like say the Swedish fans (if they even did that).

But no, the Irish fans made their presence felt like all fans should by singing their hearts out even though they were heading out of the tournament. This is what has made headlines across the globe and garnered goodwill towards the Irish and Ireland.

You're then saying that this is just common courtesy!! Well, if it's common courtesy, it wouldn't be making headlines and you wouldn't be talking about it!

Basically, the middle ground doesn't make headlines! So what do you want the Irish fans to be making headlines for? Hoolianism or gaining respect and positivity for themselves and their country?? Which is it??

Therein lies the acceptability of the contrast!

Of course it's an acceptable contrast!! You're the one giving out about the fans singing in the last few minutes of the match! You're making it an issue yourself by giving out about it! You'd rather they politely applauded and trudged off like say the Swedish fans (if they even did that).

But no, the Irish fans made their presence felt like all fans should by singing their hearts out even though they were heading out of the tournament. This is what has made headlines across the globe and garnered goodwill towards the Irish and Ireland.

You're then saying that this is just common courtesy!! Well, if it's common courtesy, it wouldn't be making headlines and you wouldn't be talking about it!

Basically, the middle ground doesn't make headlines! So what do you want the Irish fans to be making headlines for? Hoolianism or gaining respect and positivity for themselves and their country?? Which is it??

Therein lies the acceptability of the contrast!
    I want them making no headlines. They are just holiday makers.

I want them making no headlines. They are just holiday makers.

Holiday makers in the biggest soccer tournament this year, promoting the country like proper ambassadors!!!

Basically, what you've just said is you would rather no headlines regarding Ireland over positive headlines regarding Ireland!!

Maybe it's the likes of yourself with that attitude which is the problem with this country, problems you're giving out about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

One day monkey9's excalamation key will wear out. One day...

Xavi6 wrote: »
    One day monkey9's excalamation key will wear out. One day...

Xavi, i feckin' love the exclamation key and that's no word of a lie!! I much prefer it to the full stop!!!!!!!!

The full stop is so dull and lifeless. But the exclamation key brings a sentence to life.!!!It adds vigour!!!!

You wanna see the state of my text messages!!!! .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Wonderful, what will we spend our headlines and goodwill on to improve Irish football?

Wonderful, what will we spend our headlines and goodwill on to improve Irish football?

Irish football?? The fans singing their hearts out the other night promotes the country as a whole!

The attention it's received, ultimitely, has nothing to do with football itself!!

Actually, is this what this is all about?? Do people think the Irish fans singing the other night improves our team one way or the other??

Irish football?? The fans singing their hearts out the other night promotes the country as a whole!
    Seriously, will you get a grip. Maybe you should put down the peace pipe.

Seriously, will you get a grip. Maybe you should put down the peace pipe.

Are you actually denying that the positive media attention that the Irish fans garnered has promoted this country??

Are you actually denying that the positive media attention that the Irish fans garnered has promoted this country??

Not really no, fans sing when losing all the time, and anyway who gives a ****? What has that got to do with football or the topic of the thread?

Not really no, fans sing when losing all the time, and anyway who gives a ****? What has that got to do with football or the topic of the thread?

I've no idea tbh!! There's no such thing as the best fans in the world, it's a personal opinion rather than a fact!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Best? No. Drunkest? Probably.

Who cares if they were drunk? For a country of 4m to bring 25,000-30,000 fans to a football tournament (in which we were massive underdogs) during a recession is pretty good going.
    Irish fans put a lot of far bigger countries to shame in terms of fans attending.
    Not only were they the most vocal, they caused zero trouble, so to label them 'fans of the tournament' would be fair!

Some Irish people just love to complain for the sake of complaining I think. :p

EDIT: Also, it's a bit mad for people to be mentioning the likes of River Plate and Fenerbache fans. Sure, they put on good displays and are loud.. but look at the riots/hooliganism/racism that comes with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I got up at 3.30am here in Tokyo to watch the game, and it was the high point of what was otherwise a nightmare.

I don't see what the fuss is about really, although I can agree that there is a slightly annoying element of "Jaysus aren't we great?" about the whole thing (much like after we didn't boo the English anthem in Croke park).

I don't think there is any link whatsoever between the 'goodness' or 'realness' of a fan and how they react after a defeat. People point out that the Germans, for example, wouldn't have reacted in the same way, and that's probably true, but any idea that this makes them better fans, or that they care more about the team than the singing fans, doesn't make any sense to me.

By the way, I'm a LOI fan who cares much more about my club's success than Ireland's success. Incredibly, I'm not a neo-nazi out to menace people, as a poster or two on here would try and have people believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Again, people have completely missed the point.

It's not about whether or not they should have sung.

It's the desperation to claim a mythical title.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Again, people have completely missed the point.

It's not about whether or not they should have sung.

It's the desperation to claim a mythical title.

And just to add, its probably not the ones out there claiming the title but people back home and a certain Mr popular aka Delaney(pr*ck)

• Advertisement
Advertisement