Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Again, people have completely missed the point.

It's not about whether or not they should have sung.

It's the desperation to claim a mythical title.

Bit like Brazil are desperate to have Pele as greatest player of all time or Argentina to claim Maradona is the greatest player of all time?

What Irish fans that have went to Poland have said we are the greatest?

Its the French, Germans, English and people like Van Persie who have stated what amazing fans we were.

You should give an old tweet to RVP and tell him to shut his ****ing mouth if it worries you that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

You should give an old tweet toRVP and tell him to shut his ****ing mouth if it worries you that much.

I dare someone to do it. Show him a pic of Terryland park and ask where the best fans in the world are? ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Downlinz

blue-army wrote: »
    Who cares if they were drunk? For a country of 4m to bring 25,000-30,000 fans to a football tournament (in which we were massive underdogs) during a recession is pretty good going.

No, it's not "good going", its pathetic and indicative of our culture. We live in a society where people will penny pinch in their own country, damaging their economy and going on an absolute manic lash in their droves in a foreign land with their years savings. Other countries in economic trouble like Greece, Portugal, Spain and Italy had very low traveling support, ever wonder why that is? Perhaps because they have more important things to be doing with their money and piss up holidays aren't their #1 priority?
    We also have a country where nobody gives a crap about their local league, nobody attends them and nobody talks about them. Yet everyone happily pours attention and money into British teams.

Best fans in the world? We have disgraceful fans who operate for the amusement of other nations, we pour money into their interests, cause no trouble for them and travel in droves. Whats not to love?
    If you're Irish you should be appalled, no support for local teams, no money to our economy, just a pile of faux-brit tabloid garbage outside of the stadium. Embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Downlinz wrote: »
    No, it's not "good going", its pathetic and indicative of our culture. We live in a society where people will penny pinch in their own country, damaging their economy and going on an absolute manic lash in their droves in a foreign land with their years savings. Other countries in economic trouble like Greece, Portugal, Spain and Italy had very low traveling support, ever wonder why that is? Perhaps because they have more important things to be doing with their money and piss up holidays aren't their #1 priority?
    We also have a country where nobody gives a crap about their local league, nobody attends them and nobody talks about them. Yet everyone happily pours attention and money into British teams.

Best fans in the world? We have disgraceful fans who operate for the amusement of other nations, we pour money into their interests, cause no trouble for them and travel in droves. Whats not to love?
    If you're Irish you should be appalled, no support for local teams, no money to our economy, just a pile of faux-brit tabloid garbage outside of the stadium. Embarrassment.
    You sound like you need a big hug!! Everyone together now and HUG!!!

There does that feel better? Seriously don't judge your fellow countryman.. How are you above anyone else?? COP ON WILL YOU!!

You sound like an angry little keyboard warrior!!!

IRELAND, we love you!!!

National pride is what we are all about look it up sometime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Roy Keane was spot on today with his comments -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/republic-of-ireland/9336705/Euro-2012-Roy-Keane-in-no-mood-to-back-down-as-he-ramps-up-criticism-of-Ireland.html
    ''You'll never beat the Irish?'' he wrote of a popular terrace chant. ''It's time for that song to be put away because, at the moment, everyone is beating them. I'm sick of this 'win, lose, we're on the booze' mentality. It has to change.''

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Wait till you see the slating Keane gets even though he's basically saying what a lot of you have previously been saying in this thread.

He dosnt pull any punches, speaks his mind, and certainly in this case, is ****ing spot on. He'll be public enemy #1 though.

I can assure you nobody with Green Jersey was celebrating after the defeat against Spain.

The only time I saw people with smile was when Spanish people would come after the game asking to get photos with fans.

Its amazing how Roy Keane is all of sudden spot on with some of you and many would slate him plenty of times when it suited you in the past.

Its amazing how Roy Keane is all of sudden spot on with some of you and many would slate him plenty of times when it suited you in the past.

Well yes, isn't that the idea of opinions? Some things you agree with, some things you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Xavi6 wrote: »

Well, we lost two in a row.

We also lost 2 in the previosu 25 qualifiers before that.

Keane should shut up.

Well yes, isn't that the idea of opinions? Some things you agree with, some things you don't.

Thats what I am not applying.

I am talking about people who would think of him as a complete BS type, but once they think he says something they agree with then its "Ah he spot on" approach all of sudden.

IMO he is spot on in everything he says about the team. The supporters comments were bit OTT though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

barone wrote: »
    fcuk all of ye begrudgers because drunk or not, we were being hammerd of the park and our fans still owned the fcking stadium..

fair fcuks to them for giving it their all and lets not forget..spending money to go there and do it !!

no fighting,singing and dancing and giving our own countrys football and good reputation even if we are actually pretty bad at the game right now.

long may it coninue

If its singing and dancing you want then go and watch the rose of tralee.
    Football is about passion and wanting to see your team perform well and get a result. Its like the feckin mexican wave, you just know the game is boring when the mexican wave starts.
    Best fans in the world? far from it. The best fans are those that follow Ireland all over and put on a good display not some fools who sing "you'll never beat the Irish" when they have been shown up on the pitch.

Keane is spot on. Personally the team should have been booed off in both games .

Keane is spot on. Personally the team should have been booed off in both games .

When Ireland were booed off the field by select few from the Cyprus and San Marino games in 2007 they were slated for that too.

Fans pay good money to watch their teams play and in return they expect the players to give it their all. If the team under performs then the fans have a right to make their feelings heard. Slating the fans for this is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

barone wrote: »
    fcuk all of ye begrudgers because drunk or not, we were being hammerd of the park and our fans still owned the fcking stadium..

fair fcuks to them for giving it their all and lets not forget..spending money to go there and do it !!

no fighting,singing and dancing and giving our own countrys football and good reputation even if we are actually pretty bad at the game right now.

long may it coninue

If its singing and dancing you want then go and watch the rose of tralee.
    Football is about passion and wanting to see your team perform well and get a result. Its like the feckin mexican wave, you just know the game is boring when the mexican wave starts.
    Best fans in the world? far from it. The best fans are those that follow Ireland all over and put on a good display not some fools who sing "you'll never beat the Irish" when they have been shown up on the pitch.

Where you in Poland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Boo them off for being out of their depth? They couldn't hold a candle to the current World and Euro Champions, and they won't be the only team that happens to this Championship. So booing them off serves no purpose imo.

Fans pay good money to watch their teams play and in return they expect the players to give it their all. If the team under performs then the fans have a right to make their feelings heard. Slating the fans for this is nonsense.

But lets face it had the fans booed the team off the pitch more then likely the same people in here would have said the Irish fans are disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

No irish fan originally claimed the title, it was a bunch of germans that said it originally.

And that's not the point, the fans are getting criticized and called bandwagoners because OTHER PEOPLE are calling them the best in the world, it's a load of horse shiit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

When Ireland were booed off the field by select few from the Cyprus and San Marino games in 2007 they were slated for that too.
    You dont boo a dwarf for losing to Muhammed Ali. That would be absurd.
    But you can boo a dwarf for losing to a small child, or scraping a win against a hamster.

If they played out of their skins and lost 10 nil then they still should get cheered off the pitch but when they lose by playing muck then the fans should make them know how they feel and that they wont stand for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I think the Fields of Athenry should be canned too. I'm not sure they lie as low as the song says they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I think the Fields of Athenry should be canned too. I'm not sure they lie as low as the song says they do.

I think the "You'll never beat the Irish" chant is a bit more cringe inducing at this stage!

But you can boo a dwarf for losing to a small child, or scraping a win against a hamster.
    Ha ha funniest analogy I've heard in a long while, slightly disrespectful to dwarfs or hamsters not sure which though

If they played out of their skins and lost 10 nil then they still should get cheered off the pitch but when the lose by playing muck then the fans should make them know how they feel and that they wont stand for it.

But who says they did not try? I think it was the fact that Trap got tactics all wrong and we can only play one way.

When we actually did forget about Traps Plan A and put pressure on the Spanish we made them look some bit ordinary, but that was not the players instructions.

If anything its the management and not the players who are to blame more, even if some of the performances have been poor, awful even.

Does not mean they did not try.

good one, but the person who thanked you thinks different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

I wonder if Roy didnt say those things would his puppets on here still be giving out about the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The continuous circular movement in this thread has been far more impressive than the triangular movement of Spain's football, which is saying something.

But who says they did not try? I think it was the fact that Trap got tactics all wrong and we can only play one way.

When we actually did forget about Traps Plan A and put pressure on the Spanish we made them look some bit ordinary, but that was not the players instructions.

If anything its the management and not the players who are to blame more, even if some of the performances have been poor, awful even.

In a nutshell, the Irish team is far better than what they showed against Croatia and Spain but didnt perform. Did the fans care? no they didnt. Best fans in the world ? NO.
    Trap should go .

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

CSF wrote: »
    The continuous circular movement in this thread has been far more impressive than the triangular movement of Spain's football, which is saying something.

LOL I was going to post again but these debates really don't go anywhere.

In a nutshell, the Irish team is far better than what they showed against Croatia and Spain but didnt perform. Did the fans care? no they didnt. Best fans in the world ? NO.
    Trap should go .
    Where you in Poland?

• Advertisement

Why?

good one, but the person who thanked you thinks different

eh?

I wonder if Roy didnt say those things would his puppets on here still be giving out about the same?

:D A puppet for Roy Keane, never thought I'd get branded that!

Am I to assume you disagree and think "you'll never beat the Irish" is a great oul tune?

Why?
    Just curious if ur view on how true fans of the Irish team should behave is based on your experience of being there? Which I'd respect.

But if your telling fans who have paid their
    money and decided to go support there team how a true suporter should behave from your couch then that's just laughable.

Trap should go .

So were you at the game? Did you see people crying and upset like I did?

Its called supporting your team through tick and tin.

I witnessed my team get stuffed 5-1 in Scottish cup final and I had witness 2 poor performances in Euros from my country.

But you know what I still will support them even if they are ranked worst club and country in the world.

Its easy being a fan when you have success, everybody can join the bandwagon then.

I have had enough despair to last many a lifetime in supporting teams in past 5 weeks

I am not deluded into being happy just to be in the finals. I wanted Ireland to win it, or at least get chance to maybe have cut of English or French in QF. But hey, **** happens.

Its not like we might be only team never to have won no points at major championships. I doubt we will be last either.

Is this not a contradiction of all ur posts, you say the people who spend the hard earned money have a right to make their feelings heard, that's what they did V Spain? Or is it only negative response there entitled too.

eh?

You thanked a post in something you dont agree with.

Just found a bit......................well funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

There is a middle ground when being beat 4-0 by the euro and world champions, between singing "you'll never beat the Irish" and booing the team off the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Just saw a few of the worlds greatest on SSN there. One man was wearing a Shels jersey.

The others were Nordies who clearly didn't have a clue about football as the first one said Trapp should give the young lads "like McShane and Long" a run out.

• Advertisement

Fenix wrote: »
    There is a middle ground when being beat 4-0 by the euro and world champions, between singing "you'll never beat the Irish" and booing the team off the field.
    The fields of Athenry :)

Not sure if you've read the whole thread but middle grounds are not allowed.
    Apparently if the fans didn't sing they would have had no choice but to kick the crap out of the Spanish.

On a side note. Being in Poland does not make you a bigger fan. Anyone suggesting it does is an idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

How so?? Did they decide "c'mon lads, lets sing so that we can claim a mythical title"??

They just sang, ffs

Felexicon wrote: »
    Not sure if you've read the whole thread but middle grounds are not allowed.
    Apparently if the fans didn't sing they would have had no choice but to kick the crap out of the Spanish.

On a side note. Being in Poland does not make you a bigger fan. Anyone suggesting it does is an idiot
    I 100% agree that being in Poland doesn't make you a bigger or better fan, but surely takes away from credibility in criticizing the fans supportive behavior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Keane now moaning about the selection of songs the Irish fans were singing!! Ahaha, what a moron!!

I hope the Irish fans who went over there apologise for singing their songs. They should have sat there silently munching on their prawn sandwiches instead.

Soups123 wrote: »
    I 100% agree that being in Poland doesn't make you a bigger or better fan, but surely takes away from credibility in criticizing the fans supportive behavior.

Not at all. Saying it adds credibility suggests that you can form a facts based opinion on the subject. That can't be applied here, it's a purely personal opinion.

• Advertisement

Just curious if ur view on how true fans of the Irish team should behave is based on your experience of being there? Which I'd respect.

But if your telling fans who have paid their
    money and decided to go support there team how a true suporter should behave from your couch then that's just laughable.

You dont have to be there to understand how a supporter thinks.
    Going on a piss up with the games being a sideshow isnt being a true supporter now is it.
    Just because someone spent a few quid to go to the euros doesnt make them a true fan when in reality some of them may never have seen Ireland play before, including on the telly.
    There isnt a guideline to how a fan should behave but i find it laughable how you could sing and dance when your team has been beaten and played poorley.
    The players asked for a day off and then went and played as if its the first time they have played together and the fans didnt care.

cson wrote: »
    Boo them off for being out of their depth? They couldn't hold a candle to the current World and Euro Champions, and they won't be the only team that happens to this Championship. So booing them off serves no purpose imo.

even though they played muck and they knew it. Maybe if the fans had given them grief after the Croatia game then maybe they would have put more of an effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

You would think the Irish fans were completely ignorant to bad play forever.

We booed the team after both Cyprus games.

We booed in San Marino.

We booed after a dour completely toothless final home game vs an average Swiss side in Dublin when all we needed was an achieveable 1-0 to get to the play offs.

I would be fairly sure we booed after the disasters in Macedonia and Liechteinstein years ago.

This was our first foreign jaunt for 10 years. The Spain game was likely always out of grasp, the quality gulf is too big. With better tactics and better call ups and a bit of luck we could have taken Croatia. Out of curiousity does Roy and co reckon anyone left in Poland shouldnt even bother going to the last game? Even merely qualifying after the nearly men years of Brian Kerr, the horros of the Stan era and the disappointment in Paris was an achievement on itself, one that we can and will build on.

Alot of LOI fans here are bitter, sad men, end of, and if they have this sort of hostile attitude to the national team I will continue to not give a sh1te about their league. I dont like Man Utd because of its ignorant fans. I no longer like Liverpool because their fans became ignorant. And as for LOI, if here is anything to go by, same reasons tbh.

Is this not a contradiction of all ur posts, you say the people who spend the hard earned money have a right to make their feelings heard, that's what they did V Spain? Or is it only negative response there entitled too.

I saying , why should the fans be happy with a team that didnt perform like they could?
    What positives was to be had from the spain game?

You would think the Irish fans were completely ignorant to bad play forever.

We booed the team after both Cyprus games.

We booed in San Marino.

We booed after a dour completely toothless final home game vs an average Swiss side in Dublin when all we needed was an achieveable 1-0 to get to the play offs.

I would be fairly sure we booed after the disasters in Macedonia and Liechteinstein years ago.

This was our first foreign jaunt for 10 years. The Spain game was likely always out of grasp, the quality gulf is too big. With better tactics and better call ups and a bit of luck we could have taken Croatia. Out of curiousity does Roy and co reckon anyone left in Poland shouldnt even bother going to the last game? Even merely qualifying after the nearly men years of Brian Kerr, the horros of the Stan era and the disappointment in Paris was an achievement on itself, one that we can and will build on.

Alot of LOI fans here are bitter, sad men, end of, and if they have this sort of hostile attitude to the national team I will continue to not give a sh1te about their league. I dont like Man Utd because of its ignorant fans. I no longer like Liverpool because their fans became ignorant. And as for LOI, if here is anything to go by, same reasons tbh.

And the fans got slated for booing then, thats my point. Im not saying the fans were ignorant to bad play but deserved better and not accepting what happened with a bit of a dance and a sing song. It was a case of "Ah feck it we lost but at least we sang better than them" .

• Advertisement
Advertisement