Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best fans in the world

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

You would think the Irish fans were completely ignorant to bad play forever.

We booed the team after both Cyprus games.

We booed in San Marino.

We booed after a dour completely toothless final home game vs an average Swiss side in Dublin when all we needed was an achieveable 1-0 to get to the play offs.

I would be fairly sure we booed after the disasters in Macedonia and Liechteinstein years ago.

This was our first foreign jaunt for 10 years. The Spain game was likely always out of grasp, the quality gulf is too big. With better tactics and better call ups and a bit of luck we could have taken Croatia. Out of curiousity does Roy and co reckon anyone left in Poland shouldnt even bother going to the last game? Even merely qualifying after the nearly men years of Brian Kerr, the horros of the Stan era and the disappointment in Paris was an achievement on itself, one that we can and will build on.

Alot of LOI fans here are bitter, sad men, end of, and if they have this sort of hostile attitude to the national team I will continue to not give a sh1te about their league. I dont like Man Utd because of its ignorant fans. I no longer like Liverpool because their fans became ignorant. And as for LOI, if here is anything to go by, same reasons tbh.

LOL!! Another excuse to add to the rest!! By the way, it's your league also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

monkey9 wrote: »
    How so?? Did they decide "c'mon lads, lets sing so that we can claim a mythical title"??

They just sang, ffs

Its the same in the LOI. A team loses and then the fans then boast "Well, at least we had more fans than you"

Keane now moaning about the selection of songs the Irish fans were singing!! Ahaha, what a moron!!

I hope the Irish fans who went over there apologise for singing their songs. They should have sat there silently munching on their prawn sandwiches instead.

Which songs were theirs?

Its the same in the LOI. A team loses and then the fans then boast "Well, at least we had more fans than you"

It's the same everywhere!! It's football. It's because the fans were over in a different country at a tournament that they sang like that! If it had been a qualifying match at Lansdowne, it wouldn't have happened. It's why away fans at Premier League matches are loud, it's the day trip mentality!

This self congratulation nonsense that's been spouted about. Is not support always self congratulatory?

Yes, it does happen in the LOI. Some of the Shamrock Rovers fans here giving out about the singing are probably the same ones singing about how their 'club will never die' whilst their team were playing out the final minutes of a 5-0 defeat to St Pat's a few years back!

If Pat's were losing four nil at the San Siro or Nou Camp, i'd still be singing!!

The fact this is even an issue is typical Irish begrudgery.

Which songs were theirs?

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

As some said earlier this is pointless its just going full circle, my last say on it
    As an Irish person and ticket holder for the last 13 yrs as well as a few away trips, I fully appreciate and respect the attitude of our fans at Euro 12, fair play they've done our team and country proud during difficult times on and off the pitch.

Soups123 wrote: »
    As some said earlier this is pointless its just going full circle, my last say on it
    As an Irish person and ticket holder for the last 13 yrs as well as a few away trips, I fully appreciate and respect the attitude of our fans at Euro 12, fair play they've done our team and country proud during difficult times on and off the pitch.

It really is this simple. I don't know what the problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's the same everywhere!! It's football. It's because the fans were over in a different country at a tournament that they sang like that! If it had been a qualifying match at Lansdowne, it wouldn't have happened. It's why away fans at Premier League matches are loud, it's the day trip mentality!

This self congratulation nonsense that's been spouted about. Is not support always self congratulatory?

Yes, it does happen in the LOI. Some of the Shamrock Rovers fans here giving out about the singing are probably the same ones singing about how their 'club will never die' whilst their team were playing out the final minutes of a 5-0 defeat to St Pat's a few years back!

If Pat's were losing four nil at the San Siro or Nou Camp, i'd still be singing!!

The fact this is even an issue is typical Irish begrudgery.

I wonder why nobody has replied to this post yet?

I tell you why though cause he is bang on the money.

Shamrock Rovers fans were still giving it socks against Spurs home and away.

Were they disgraced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Were they disgraced?

Shamrock fans are always disgraced ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Were they disgraced?

Were they the best fans in the world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Were they disgraced?

Were they the best fans in the world?

Echoey Mrs Doyle voice. No

SECOND BEST PRIEST fans
    SECOND BEST PRIEST Fans
    SECOND BEST PRIEST Fans

Were they disgraced?

if ireland had put in as much effort as rovers did against spurs then there wouldnt be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Clearly we're the best! Here's the evidence

1:07 hahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I don't agree with what that guy did in that clip. Its actually embarassing for Irish fans to be honest.

if ireland had put in as much effort as rovers did against spurs then there wouldnt be an issue.

Thats going away from the point completely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Brendog wrote: »
    Clearly we're the best! Here's the evidence

1:07 hahahaha

ha ha:rolleyes: gobsh*tes, I've seen better craic on a student night out in Galway. Who cares about this best fans in the world sh*te.

Seeing as Trap is probably going to stay for another two years, but refuse to change anything about the team in that time meaning the team stagnates and goes backwards have these "best fans in the world" anything to say about this. "Best fans in the world" my arse.

ha ha:rolleyes: gobsh*tes, I've seen better craic on a student night out in Galway. Who cares about this best fans in the world sh*te.

Seeing as Trap is probably going to stay for another two years, but refuse to change anything about the team in that time meaning the team stagnates and goes backwards have these "best fans in the world" anything to say about this. "Best fans in the world" my arse.

You honestly think the fans have any say on who is manager?

Seriously?

I mean seriously?????????????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

If your team is losing, should the fans shut up, or boo and hope that those actions will change how the team is playing, or how its being prepared? So only sing when your team is playing well? "You only sing when you're winning".

And i personally think that singing "You'll never beat the Irish" when we're losing, or have lost, has more of a meaning than just the football result. Fans love to put the other fans down when they're losing, no team has done that to us yet.

Feels like half this thread heard Roy Keanes comments and jumped on them :confused:

**** Roy Keane. Loads of people crimped and saved to go to the euros to be able to support their team and show pride for their country. And they did/are doing a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Seriously?

I think the public pressure was instrumental in McCarthy's, Kerr's and maybe Staunton's removals. Staunton was going to be sacked anyways but the public had voted with their feet too. The fans do have a say. If the fans stay away in droves from the Aviva in the qualifiers the FAI might have to act. I think the FAI are susceptible to populist campaigns.

• Advertisement

I think the public pressure was instrumental in McCarthy's, Kerr's and maybe Staunton's removals. Staunton was going to be sacked anyways but the public had voted with their feet too. The fans do have a say. If the fans stay away in droves from the Aviva in the qualifiers the FAI might have to act. I think the FAI are susceptible to populist campaigns.

McCarthy left after 2 bad results. It was more media pressure then fan pressure, although I do remember the Swiss game having few muppets on his case.

Kerr had a campaign where we finsihed a disappointing fourth behind Israel.

as for Stan.............well if you cant beat Cyprus and need injury time goal to beat San Marino does not take much to realise that things aint good even to the FAI.

Seriously?

Of course they do. When the fans turn against a manager he's generally finished. That's what did for Mick McCarthy in the Ireland job. Seriously, don't tell me you are not aware of that.

By the looks of it Trapatoni will lead Ireland into the next campaign, and after a few games when the team are failing and the fans desert the team, he will be sacked and will have to be paid off.

I genuinely hope he proves me wrong and brings on a new team with new ideas, but I doubt that will happen given his track record of resisting change in recent times, what do you think?

Of course they do. When the fans turn against a manager he's generally finished. That's what did for Mick McCarthy in the Ireland job. Seriously, don't tell me you are not aware of that.

By the looks of it Trapatoni will lead Ireland into the next campaign, and after a few games when the team are failing and the fans desert the team, he will be sacked and will have to be paid off.

I genuinely hope he proves me wrong and brings on a new team with new ideas, but I doubt that will happen given his track record of resisting change in recent times, what do you think?

It was far more of media pressure then fan pressure. The media got right on Micks back straight after the Russia 4-2 defeat. They put lot pressure on not just getting draw against Swiss but to beat them. I lost time for some journalists for what they said in the lead up to that game.

I do agree entirely with your other point though. Personally I want new manager. trap has done well not going say otherwise, but we have no Plan B.

We just play standard 4-4-2 with his tactics and expects that to work, be it 3-0 up or 2-1 down.

It was far more of media pressure then fan pressure. The media got right on Micks back straight after the Russia 4-2 defeat. They put lot pressure on not just getting draw against Swiss but to beat them. I lost time for some journalists for what they said in the lead up to that game.

I do agree entirely with your other point though. Personally I want new manager. trap has done well not going say otherwise, but we have no Plan B.

We just play standard 4-4-2 with his tactics and expects that to work, be it 3-0 up or 2-1 down.

The fans played a part in the ending of McCarthy's reign too.

I genuinely hope that Trap resigns after this tournament, with general goodwill intact for the job he did in getting the team qualified, because I don't believe he has anything more to offer to Irish football.

If he stays on, I fear his time as Ireland manager will end on a sour note. The fans will play a huge part in that too, the media often only reflect what they think the public wants to hear.

The fans played a part in the ending of McCarthy's reign too.

I genuinely hope that Trap resigns after this tournament, with general goodwill intact for the job he did in getting the team qualified, because I don't believe he has anything more to offer to Irish football.

If he stays on, I fear his time as Ireland manager will end on a sour note. The fans will play a huge part in that too, the media often only reflect what they think the public wants to hear.

To a degree I see what you say think it more the other way around in influence though.

Take for example The Sun in UK. When they say Jump, the Englishman's reply is to ask how high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Were they disgraced?

Damn you found us out, who do we have to hand our best fans in the world award over to then? Wait, do we really have to give it to people who mostly dont really support football? At least can we give it to the YBIG lads?

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »
    Damn you found us out, who do we have to hand our best fans in the world award over to then? Wait, do we really have to give it to people who mostly dont really support football? At least can we give it to the YBIG lads?

I have said already I dont give two ****s abut the BFITW crap.

It seems be likes of you who more worried.

All im saying is ye seem have pop without being able to say what they should have done, bar some stupid ideas.

Its not the Irish who labeled themselves the best. Its been countries like Italy, Germany and France.

Go onto their fan pages and moan to them if it worries you that much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

So, will there be another feckin' sing song after we probably lose tonight then? **cringe**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

How so?? Did they decide "c'mon lads, lets sing so that we can claim a mythical title"??

They just sang, ffs

No, and I never said that, but it certainly hasn't stopped the retarded claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    So, will there be another feckin' sing song after we probably lose tonight then? **cringe**

if i was there and they went 3 or 4 nil down again i would walk out

Thread needs poll.

"Are Ireland's fan the BFITW?".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Thread needs poll.

"Are Ireland's fan the BFITW?".

Taking in only this tournament and no other outside factors, I can understand why people would say that they are the best but when everything else is considered, no, no they are not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

tbh we should still get 2nd place and a play off. It has only been when we had to take on top class or underestimated opponents that we have gotten found out, as in, this week. As much as I dont want this stagnant bollix like we saw vs Spain, it is not impossible we pull a mediocre play off opponent like, say, Belgium, progress to an easy WC group and get pummeled in the last 16, and it looks like progress :(

If we get a tough traditional second placer like Serbia, Turkey, maybe Montenegro the way they have come along, I really dont fancy our hopes :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

tbh we should still get 2nd place and a play off. It has only been when we had to take on top class or underestimated opponents that we have gotten found out, as in, this week. As much as I dont want this stagnant bollix like we saw vs Spain, it is not impossible we pull a mediocre play off opponent like, say, Belgium, progress to an easy WC group and get pummeled in the last 16, and it looks like progress :(

If we get a tough traditional second placer like Serbia, Turkey, maybe Montenegro the way they have come along, I really dont fancy our hopes :(

Belgium are far better than us at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

We should get a 2nd place and a playhoff spot? In a group with Germany and Sweden I'll take that.

Serbia and Montenegro "traditional" second placers? Surely they have no tradition at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Alot of LOI fans here are bitter, sad men, end of, and if they have this sort of hostile attitude to the national team I will continue to not give a sh1te about their league.

Thank fuck.

stovelid wrote: »
    Thank fuck.

Ironically it will be the inevitable fall and fall of the national team that leads to reform of Irish football if it ever comes. The very commodification of football that the barstoolers fund will eventually mean that there will be less and less space in the English system for them to produce footballers for us. The fact that we have 7 or 8 players ex-LOI in the current squad is no coincedence. In 20 years it will be double that, with a couple of current LOI thrown in for good measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I think its more of the Irish spirit than our actual die hard fans that lead to others proclaiming our amazing support, the force is strong within us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

With the news of Monaghan having just pulled out of the league, its a shame that a few more of the die hard fans out in Poland don't go and watch their local team.

How come the Irish are such a proud people, proud of their townland, their parish, their county, often their GAA teams yet will gladly support a British football team over their own?

NIMAN wrote: »
    With the news of Monaghan having just pulled out of the league, its a shame that a few more of the die hard fans out in Poland don't go and watch their local team.

How come the Irish are such a proud people, proud of their townland, their parish, their county, often their GAA teams yet will gladly support a British football team over their own?

I would never support a British team over my country. Likewise I cant see how or why anyone would rather see a club team win a domestic title that means sh1te all outside of 10 miles from the ground over seeing the national team go the distance on a world stage, but thats just IMO. But the comments on this thread endear me less to the national league with every one.

I would never support a British team over my country.
    You dont support anything Walter, you took a day off work to watch television

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »
    You dont support anything Walter, you took a day off work to watch television

Sorry. Ryanair werent doing any handy day returns from Sydney.

If I could have afforded the time off a rather well paid job, yes, in an instant.

The bottom line here is- the rest of the world now thinks we are the greatest international fans.

The rest of the world has seemingly never being over enamoured by LOI fans in their jaunts to Europe.

Work it out for yourselves lads.

Are the national team fans great?

Yes.

Are a sizeable chunk of LOI posters here about as likeable as Millwall?
    Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If I could have afforded the time off a rather well paid job, yes, in an instant.

The bottom line here is- the rest of the world now thinks we are the greatest international fans.

The rest of the world has seemingly never being over enamoured by LOI fans in their jaunts to Europe.

Yes.

Yes.

You're embarrassing yourself now.

As Eamo once said, "You've jumped the fence baby."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's the leprechaun theory.

All well and good as long as we take our football hiding from the big boys like a good little nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

stovelid wrote: »
    All well and good as long as we take our football hiding from the big boys like a good little nation.

Like we have any other choice. We're shíte

15,083 at a home match last year.

BFITW. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Zebra3 wrote: »
    15,083 at a home match last year.

BFITW. :rolleyes:

This means nothing. I'd love to go to all of Irelands games but the price of tickets is crazy.

We probably do have some of the best fans in the world but in no way is this being put forward as a compensation for a poor football team.

I'm thankful that we have produced people with enough common sense that they can go in large numbers and behave in a civilised manner.
    I know alot of people say that this should be a given but in reality when you look at other nations fans it is not.

Interesting to read a certain poster in here a while back had no problem in hoping a LOI club would go bust and in here sprouting off about how people should attend there nearest LOI ground.

hmmmm....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Yes.

Yes.

Who cares? Weren't we always thought of as very good fans anyway? Do we really need some sort of unofficial title? I much rather care how our actual football team is doing. You do realise that LOI supporters, of which I am one, have genuine reasons for not creaming themselves over national fans who show disdain for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I wouldn't worry too much about our national side being demolished due to domestic league issues. We will continue to produce decent players regardless of how poor our own domestic league is because football is part of our culture and lots of kids still play it as their first sport, even in this obese couch patato age. They will just continue to be picked up by the english clubs at youth level.

I go to all the Ireland games. Have done for my entire life. I watch the epl religiously and have (imo) excellent worldwide footballing knowledge but don't specifically support a club... I tend to root for the team that has the most Irish lads in it. It gives me a better perspective than some of the die-hard supports of english clubs round here. Ireland is sorta like my club. And in my opinion we are fine. A couple bad results doesn't detract from that. We have good young players to replace the guys heading out the door.

And yes, we do have great fans who support their team and very, very rarely boo our own players. Thats fairly uncommon if you speak tp fans of other international teams. Booing is quite common. And I wouldn't worry too much about a couple of empty seats at the Aviva. It's usually full enough. It's worth keeping in mind that most International teams don't fill their stadium and ours is bigger than most, especially when comparing it to our population size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Felexicon wrote: »
    This means nothing. I'd love to go to all of Irelands games but the price of tickets is crazy.

We probably do have some of the best fans in the world but in no way is this being put forward as a compensation for a poor football team.

I'm thankful that we have produced people with enough common sense that they can go in large numbers and behave in a civilised manner.
    I know alot of people say that this should be a given but in reality when you look at other nations fans it is not.

It's the very, very minority that dont behave. It's not really much to say that at least we behave, 95% of other countries do too and sing a lot as well.

Advertisement