Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dormer bedroom - insulation options

• 15-06-2012 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm getting pumped cavity wall insulation for the house.

However, I have a large dormer structure coming out of the sloped roof, that is timber frame and flat roofed. When a builder was doing some work some time ago for us, he knocked off some plaster and said "there is no insulation in here at all".

The room is draft free, but gets very hot in the summer (sth facing), but very cold in the winter when the heat goes off.

I don't have a lot to insulate, the south facing wall - 22 ft long x 8 ft high (but with two massive windows that are 60% of the area) and the two sloped walls either side, that join on the sloped roof.

Can someone tell me what options I have please? Preferably, I'd rather not lose any ceiling height, but will do if that's the most reasonably priced option....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

see here re roof insulation,
    http://www.greenhomediary.co.uk/integrating-external-wall-insulation-with-loft-insulation-specs/
    you can put up plasterboard on interior walls ,plasterboard with insulation
    on 1 side, with vapour barrier ,
    which faces exterior wall.
    You put up wooden battens to hold the plasterboard,its nailed or screwed to battens.
    LEAVING AIR gap between wall and insulation layer.
    ie vapour barrier is on the rear of the insulation ,facing wall.
    or you can just put external insulation on the walls,outside.

You have to be clear when ordering ,
    eg standard plasterboard has no insulation ,or vapour barrier.

I have a wooden wall kitchen to insulate ,so i,ll probably go for plasterboard ,insulation method ,as described in previous post.
    i,m thinking of taking down the whole wall,20x10 ft wood approx,
    and just putting in 9inch cavity blocks,as they are easier to insulate .
    AS i,m putting in at least 4 new double glazing windows ,it would be easier to install them on concrete blocks , the using the present wooden frame,wall.
    also putting in new door ,exterior door.
    70 per cent of the wall ,is taken up with old wooden frame, windows ,at present, so it would not take much
    blocks to replace it.

Advertisement