Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Localised flooding at front door!

Options
  • 15-06-2012 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭

I live on the ground floor of an apartment block, my front door is no where near any external enterance or exits for the block.

This morning I woke up to the carpet inside my front door and the carpet in the hallway directly outside my front door wet and flooded. The water spreads about 3 foot into the apartment and about 2 foot out into the hallway.

I cant see anywhere where the water could have come from,there are 2 apartments above me and the front wall of my apartment is nowhere near any exposed or external walls.

What course of action should I follow. This is my first time renting and only been in the place 3 weeks!!

Thanks guys, help really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

not being funny but is it definitely water??
    srumball wrote: »
    I live on the ground floor of an apartment block, my front door is no where near any external enterance or exits for the block.

This morning I woke up to the carpet inside my front door and the carpet in the hallway directly outside my front door wet and flooded. The water spreads about 3 foot into the apartment and about 2 foot out into the hallway.

I cant see anywhere where the water could have come from,there are 2 apartments above me and the front wall of my apartment is nowhere near any exposed or external walls.

What course of action should I follow. This is my first time renting and only been in the place 3 weeks!!

Thanks guys, help really appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Get onto the management company and inform them. There could be a leak somewhere that they will need to get checked out ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Contact the landlord ASAP. Take photos of the damage, they may be needed for the landlords insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We get this when the wind is in the direction that sends rain under the front door. A badly fitting door will allow this.

Needs sorting; we have lino though so easier to mop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Someone urinated through your letterbox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

no letterbox mate haha! The door is in the hallway of the ground floor and nowhere near any enterance or exit to outside at all, maybe something coming down from upstairs,

I will get onto the landlord now, how do I find out the property management company?

no letterbox mate haha! The door is in the hallway of the ground floor and nowhere near any enterance or exit to outside at all, maybe something coming down from upstairs,

I will get onto the landlord now, how do I find out the property management company?

Are there any cracks in the concrete on the floor? Maybe a burst pipe underground although it would be unusual to happen in this weather. Its something you want to get sorted with in a few hours if its happened overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

how do I find out the property management company?

Theyll usually have a notice or letter stuck up in a hall somewhere; usually by the front door.

If you have their details then go to them first before going to the landlord. Its their problem to fix if its happening outside your apartment and if it is a leak then they will want to get it sorted ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Make sure you put this in writing to the landlord and keep a copy, in case at a later date (when you are leaving and want your deposit back) you have to make a claim with the PRTB.

Your landlord is responsible for any fault within the apartment (if the water is coming from within) and the management company for outside the apartment.
    Although the management company would not normally deal directly with tenants they may do so in this case as some of the problem seems to affect outside the apartment.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

odds_on wrote: »
    Make sure you put this in writing to the landlord and keep a copy, in case at a later date (when you are leaving and want your deposit back) you have to make a claim with the PRTB.

Your landlord is responsible for any fault within the apartment (if the water is coming from within) and the management company for outside the apartment.
    Although the management company would not normally deal directly with tenants they may do so in this case.

Firstly I nearly spat my coffee out - who ever posted 'pissing in the letter box", lmfao. :eek:
    - Landlord is first port of call, onus is on him to resolve for you, mediate with mangement company etc.
    - Likely cause, hard to tell - services in the floor slab or wall would be my initial suspect, however the nature of apartment construction - it needs investigation by a professional.
    To get an indication for your self, pull back carpet and underlay (roll back) leave floor slab / screed exposed - and try and ascertain where source of water is coming from - i.e. direction of wall or a rad ? or burst pipe in floor.
    3 weeks in to the let - I'd be screaming " LANDLORD" before my next installment was due in rental.
    Mike F

• Advertisement

One house we rented .. in heavy rain water would bubble up through the floor.. emerged they had laid the stone tiles directly on the earth... old cottage..

The first time it happened, I thought the dogs had sinned, but dog pee is orange..

The next time was a major flood so we left

Graces7 wrote: »
    One house we rented .. in heavy rain water would bubble up through the floor.. emerged they had laid the stone tiles directly on the earth... old cottage..

The first time it happened, I thought the dogs had sinned, but dog pee is orange..

The next time was a major flood so we left

CSI - grace's house ! :D

CSI - grace's house ! :D

?????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

crime scene investigates _ a tv programme, cops and murders etc

your tiles laid directly on soil .....don don don what is buried underneath :eek:

hehehehehe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

many old houses were built ,floor put down, no dpc, water barrier .There were no detailed building regs when cottages were built, ,ie under floorboards,joists ,there s bare earth.
    there could be a leak ,cracked pipe in a wall,or underneath a floor . somewhere in your building ,WATER follows easiest path .
    I saw a leak in a roof,the water came into roof ,flowed along inside attic , then came down inside another building 20ft away.

Graces7 wrote: »
    ?????:confused:

Sorry Grace - it was the 'pee is yellow; comment - that forced the CSI comment, please disregard.
    I've done it myself many time ( too many times ! ) in clients houses,
    Engineer - "Oh the leak has re- occurred ?" , touches the liquid -
    Client " oh that was probably the dog"
    Engineer -" may i use your bathroom please"

Probably one of those you have to be there things, !! :)

Sorry Grace - it was the 'pee is yellow; comment - that forced the CSI comment, please disregard.
    I've done it myself many time ( too many times ! ) in clients houses,
    Engineer - "Oh the leak has re- occurred ?" , touches the liquid -
    Client " oh that was probably the dog"
    Engineer -" may i use your bathroom please"

Probably one of those you have to be there things, !! :)

:D

Funny guy! I had to apologise to the dogs when the real flood started.

For the laughter, thank you...

riclad wrote: »
    many old houses were built ,floor put down, no dpc, water barrier .There were no detailed building regs when cottages were built, ,ie under floorboards,joists ,there s bare earth.
    there could be a leak ,cracked pipe in a wall,or underneath a floor . somewhere in your building ,WATER follows easiest path .
    I saw a leak in a roof,the water came into roof ,flowed along inside attic , then came down inside another building 20ft away.

I know. This was an old cottage the guy was trying to make money on as it was like a shrine to his dead ancestors. There were photos of the old man and the inside in the old days,..I barely got RA because it was poor.

Watching the water bubbling up between the stone tiles was.... interesting. And no leak; simply in very heavy rain and on the side of a mountain the water had to go somewhere. When the rain eased and the water levels sank, no more water in the house, but it was very, very damp in there, and I was ill all the while with sinus trouble.

The house we are in now has interesting plumbing. When i finally got the gutters cleared I asked if there was a drain grille under the undergrowth and the LL said no it is a soak drain. Never heard of that before; old irish custom?
    Cannot be good for the foundations.

Another old house with no cavity walls etc but there is space under the floorboards here; and there are floorboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Someone pissed through your letterbox?

Keep it clean please.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Someone pissed through your letterbox?

For your witty insight, you've just earned yourself an infraction. If you want to take the mick- do it in the After Hours forum- or elsewhere, not Accommodation and Property.......

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    For your witty insight, you've just earned yourself an infraction. If you want to take the mick- do it in the After Hours forum- or elsewhere, not Accommodation and Property.......

Fair enough. Speak to Admin to get the word filter adjusted.
    Sorry if OP was offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Shine a torch onto the walls and ceiling, to look for a gleam of wetness.

Also, do you have radiators? Mates radiator leaked, and caused his carpet to become wet.

Advertisement