Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the straightener cause damage to hair?

• 15-06-2012 8:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this suits here or "Facial Hair & Hats"...

Lo all,
    Have been straightening my beard hair with a straightener that I bought in Lidl/Aldi a while back for €20 and I'm wondering would long term use of it damage my hair? Hair that I straighten was bleached if that makes any difference (part of the shave 'n dye week a while back).
    Currently it'd get washed every day or every 2nd day with radox/imperial leather/etc shower gel, and tends to go very fuzzy if not straightened. Hair would usually be a bit damp when doing so, and I'd pull my beard hair with the straightening device three times; usually enough to straighten it enough.

NOT cutting it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

if you wash it and maybe a tiny bit of conditioner it won't get nearly as frizzy...after that blast it with a blowdryer (nozzle facing downwards) it should do the trick. Please don't straighten it, the condition really will deteriorate and you'll end up with no choice but to cut it. best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Don't straighten it while it's even slightly damp! You will burn the hair and it will break. Instead of washing it with shower gel, use a proper shampoo and conditioner. It will be in better condition and definitely be less frizzy. Leave the conditioner in for a minute or two while you're in the shower before washing it out. Although straighteners are damaging to your hair, as long as you take care of it and let it dry properly, three "goes" of the straightener aren't going to cause too much damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Instead of washing it with shower gel, use a proper shampoo and conditioner.
    Thought it'd be best to ask which one over on the "Facial Hair & Hats" forum. Thanks for your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I don't have a beard (I'm female), but on my long, thick, frizzy head I use the VO5 Gloss Me Smoothly shampoo and conditioner and find that when I straighten my hair it's quite straight, sometimes if I am going somewhere I will run the straightener over my hair just once.

http://cut-throatbeauty.blogspot.ie/2011/06/review-vo5-gloss-me-smoothly-shampoo.html

Those shampoo/conditioner are often on offer in DUnnes and Boots 2 for €6 euros.

I also use the hask argan oil from Penneys on my hair and it leaves it very, very soft. It's €2.50 in Penneys.

Advertisement