Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland - Out with the old?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

I love Shay Given, any Irish fan that has anything bad to say about him should be put on the silly seat. He has been a MAJOR factor in us being as competitive as we have been this past 10+ years. Countless times he has pulled off wonder saves, I'd love to know how many points he has been worth to us. If he decides to stay on then Im all for it, if he decides to call it a day then I will gladly applaud him for his excellent service down the years. Whatever he decides to do he will go down as one of the Irish greats IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Of the 23 man squad we have atm, I'd lose Forde, McShane, Ward, O'Dea, St. Ledger, Kelly, Hunt, Duff, Green, Whelan, Cox.
    Given and Keane might retire.

Replaced by Henderson, Clark, Wilson, Duffy, Cunningham, Foley, Coleman, Brady, McCarthy, Fahey, Hendrick(Meyler if fit)

Ryan Meara should be looked at too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

in terms of the team...IMO, we've a straight choice.

1. we keep Trap. he plays his tried and tested players and system in order to have us challenging around the playoffs again for the World Cup. and then if we reach that, we get booted out again, and shown up by superior nations. we know what we're going to get from him...or....

2. we wipe the slate clean. a new manager who will have new ideas, blood youth properly into the team without fear, and forge for us a new identity, that may in the future reap some dividends at a major championship. this may be at the risk of not being as close to qualifying for major championships for a few years, but it may reap longer term benefits.

that is one of the major choices that needs to be made.

there obviously also needs to be a decision made on grass roots stuff, which is perhaps the biggest challenge facing Irish football. it needs money. it needs a re-vamp. it needs a new way of doing things - much like the Spanish went through a long time ago.

someone at the FAI needs to have a bit of vision if we're to actually compete properly at the top table in the forseeable future. yes, we don't have the funds or amount of people the likes of Spain have, but we can start to do things the right way.

we've seen bits and pieces start to happen with the better coverage of the LOI. that also needs to continue, and I do agree that we need to go to more games. they go hand-in-hand. for whatever reason, LOI is not attractive to enough people. the FAI need to make it even more attractive, and use that to fund a better grass roots system. that's the only way, long-term, i see us competing.

and yes, for a lot of you, i very much realise i am preaching to the choir - my posts is not designed to patronise you, just to state my perhaps unrealistic desire for the future on all fronts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Slappa de Bass

Hi all, this is my first post in the soccer section (thanks mods for approving me) and this is good enough a thread to start with, I think.

First off, we are NEVER going to do anything decent under Giovanni Trapattoni. To be fair, I actually really like the man, he’s got a lot of Charisma and he genuinely believes that he is making the right decisions. To be honest though, I’d prefer if he was managing a different team into the ground. Jesus, we have a hard enough time playing against referees alone without having Trapattoni making huge mistakes on and off the field. He needs to go; it’s as simple as that.

In fairness to the man, he did exactly what he was brought here to do. He got us to a major competition, but it’s very clear that’s as far as he can get us. Maybe we would have had a better chance in World Cup 2010, it’s hard to say but we need to look to the future now, and appoint someone who can build a team from scratch and lead us to a new era in Irish soccer. Unfortunately, I’m completely miffed at who that person could be. I don’t think Roy is the best choice, but he certainly isn’t the worst.

Secondly, we need a new squad. The one we have are getting tired before their time. They are aging rapidly and it’s not pretty to watch. Now don’t get me wrong, these players have done us so proud with all their hard work and effort over the years and in their time, they were as good anyone on that Spanish team (except O’Shea). It’s time to say goodbye to Given, Dunne, O’Shea, Duff and Keane. They have all been great servants to Ireland but they are too far gone now.

Unfortunately though, it’s not that simple. We don’t just need to shed the old and tired. There are some other players who still have life in them but they aren’t good enough. No offence to the lads, but we need to be looking for better quality. I think it’s time that Ward, Andrews, Whelan and McGeady were dropped altogether; actually, maybe keep Andrews for his work rate but everyone else needs to go. Now I know this doesn’t put us in a good place, but I’d rather start from scratch as a new born, and have every chance at building a good Irish team than continue as we are and be mutton dressed as lamb.

And last but not least, we need massive changes in our governing body. The FAI are the pits. Delaney is a smug, arrogant, hideous little creature that, despite being absolutely detested by the whole country, still has a job. In this economic climate, surely we can get someone better for cheaper; maybe go out to the M50 and scoop up some road-kill. Surely we would fair better under its hollow rule.

In conclusion, a massive overhaul is required from the ground up. This will require a lot of patience and time and I’m sure it will lead to a large quantity of burning Ireland Jerseys, but we’ll get there. I’m sure that we can appoint someone as clever as Mick McCarthy, a future minded manager, who built a brand new Ireland team. A squad that I think it’s safe to say, were the best Ireland team we’ve ever had; mostly because they were able to attack.

I’m not saying bring back Mick, I’m just saying that maybe we should look for someone like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Id have played 4-3-3 last night rather than invite spain onto us go old style long ball forward into the channels and make them play in their half it would be walters doyle and long up front

For some reason, my post is HUGE! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

slappa, i advise changing the font size to size 2.

or....why are you shouting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

Leslie91 wrote: »
    It'll never happen but make (Roy) Keano manager.

It would be interesting, if nothing else, to see the ever critical Keane reduced to the same type of rhetoric as practically every other Irish manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Roy Keane would be a good person to start with. I don't doubt for one moment we could get someone suitable for the job, whether it be Keane or someone else. Sanchez did brilliantly with NI, Hughes did brilliantly with Wales - neither are great managers - but they got the best out of their players. You don't need a world class appointment, just the right appointment.

Roy keane to manage Ireland?

Are you completely insane? or just a man u supporter / corkman?
    His 'man management' skills alone rule him out, never mind his total disrespect for his potential employers.

Thanks for that though, it raised a smile after last nights humiliation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Some names that I am aware of for our future - some very hot prospects in here too!

Sean McDermott (Arsenal GK)
    James Russell (Chelsea GK)
    Stephen Henderson (West Ham GK)
    Joseph Rafferty (Liverpoool CB)
    Sean Tse (Man City CB)
    Daniel Cleary (Liverpool CB)
    Roman Michael-Percil (Tottenham CB)
    Alex O’Hanlon[38] (Liverpool RB)
    Daniel Devine (Aston Villa CB)
    Anthony O'Connor (Blackburn CB)
    Shane Duffy (Everton CB)
    Aidan White (Leeds LB/LW)
    Ben Heneghan (Everton CB)
    Michael Keane (Man Utd RB) - Will probably lose him to England
    Gavin Gunning (Blacburn CB/LB)
    Greg Cunningham (Man City LB)
    Marc Wilson (Stoke LB)
    Anton Rodgers (Chelsea MF)
    Paul McBride (tottenham MF)
    Conor Clifford (Chelsea MF)
    David Meyler (Sunderland MF)
    Conor Henderson (Arsenal MF)
    James McCarthy (Wigan MF)
    Jeff Hendrick (Derby County MF)
    John O'Sullivan (Blackburn MF)
    Stephen Folan (Newcastle MF)
    Eoin Wearen (West Ham CM)
    David Meyler (Sunderland CM)
    Kenneth McEvoy (Tottenham CM)
    Sean McGinty (Man Utd CB)
    Donal McDermott (Man City LW)
    Paul McBride (Spurs LW)
    Robert Brady (Man Utd striker/winger)
    Anthony Pilkington (Norwich winger/striker)
    Graham Burke (Aston Villa striker/winger)
    Michael Drennan (Aston Villa Striker)
    Karl Sheppard (Reading striker)
    Danny Purdy (West Ham striker)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Sean Tse (Man City CB)

Just released, wasn't good enough.

Think that's it sorted now Slick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

All the above are players who still have something to offer the squad.

Any post-mortem needs to wait until after the hysteria has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭spirit_77

....................Westwood

Kelly.....Dunne......Clarke.....Wilson

Coleman.....Andrews.....McCarthy...McClean

.......... McGeady
    .......Long
    think that would be my preferred team, not sure if duffy would be ready to replace dunne yet?

SlickRic wrote: »
    slappa, i advise changing the font size to size 2.

or....why are you shouting?

I thought he was shouting. Did you think he was shouting?

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »

I disagree; if anything MOAR hystronics are required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Sean McDermott released by Arsenal

I disagree; if anything MOAR hystronics are required.
    People seem to be forgetting that we've qualified for our first major tournament in 10 years. Think we were much worse off on all those summers before.

People seem to be forgetting that we've qualified for our first major tournament in 10 years. Think we were much worse off on all those summers before.

I think our best bet with that team was World Cup 2010. It was the right time for them, unfortunately, due to cheating, they were denied their chance. We need a new team now as the lads are not capable of competing at a high level anymore.

But I do agree, fair play to Trap and the boys for getting us there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

RE:Given he has been a good servant over the years, but it has been clear for a while to me that there has been a selfishness underlying the motivation f his playing for Ireland. I recall a few years ago an end of season tourney game him pulling rank and insisting on playing, instead of letting the no2 get some gametime, IIRC this episode ended in dean Kiely retiring from the ireland games. It has been said that his main motivation was to amass the record no of caps available, and this would seem to me to be the case.
    However, where that becomes a problem, i when he plays or is allowed to play when clearly past his best. It is clear to me during these games that he isn't moving well (whetere this is an injury or 'old age' catching up remains to be seen). Look at the soft goals he has let in, all are charactersed by a lack of movement, particulatly lateral foot movement. Even the 'great' saves last night were him just reacting and throwing out a hand, rather than moving his feet and pulling off routine enough saves.

The failure of the management to see that he isn't fit and/or having the balls to say No Shay, you can't play is a major failing IMO. Loyalty is all good and well but these lads are pros and are paid o make the tough calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

Like I keep saying, it's no good just changing the players, the system needs to be completely changed. Out of all the teams in the European Championships, we are by far and a way the worst team on the ball, the worst passers, and the worst at retaining possession. There are teams with about the same quality, or inferior players to us who are doing much better (Greece, Sweden, Denmark, etc.). Even in the Premier League, the tactics of just playing mindless hoofball are dying (Wolves got relegated, Villa nearly got relegated and Stoke struggled). No one expects us to be as good as Spain, but what we should expect is that our professional players don't clearly panic blindly as soon as they have possession of the ball. All this is Trapattoni's fault as he has no belief in the players whatsoever and is so pig-headed that he won't even try to get us playing a possession game.

Agreed. I think if we are to really have any success in future tournaments we really need to look at improving the standard of coaching at grassroots level.

For far too long now we have over eager parents / coaches who mean well coaching and managing schoolboy teams without any real qualifications to do so apart from watching MOTD and playing Fifa.

We need to improve the coaching structures right across the board and make sure every coach involved with any team or club has qualifications to do so and is always looking to improve. Ultimately this is where our next generation of Irish players are going to come from.
    Some names that I am aware of for our future - some very hot prospects in here too!

Sean Tse (Man City CB)
    Shane Duffy (Everton CB)
    Marc Wilson (Stoke LB)
    Paul McBride (Spurs LW)

A great list of players but if 10% of them where to make it through to the top two divisions in English football that would be considered a massive success.

I think our best bet with that team was World Cup 2010. It was the right time for them, unfortunately, due to cheating, they were denied their chance. We need a new team now as the lads are not capable of competing at a high level anymore.

But I do agree, fair play to Trap and the boys for getting us there.
    We don't need a new team, we need to introduce a few new faces to the team, get rid of some of the dross, and try a few new things tactically.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Most of this discussion is relatively pointless as long as we have a manager, no matter how good he may be, who simply does not believe Irish players can do any more than defend in numbers nicking goals here and there. Under Trap we will probably finish a respectable third with the same people who have ranted on about the achievement of qualifying for Euro 2012 no doubt praising his achievement for a respectable almost qualification for the world cup. If even the best manager in the world sends you out to contain your opponents then you will believe that is the best you can hope for as will many fans it seems.

mewso wrote: »
    Most of this discussion is relatively pointless as long as we have a manager, no matter how good he may be, who simply does not believe Irish players can do any more than defend in numbers nicking goals here and there. Under Trap we will probably finish a respectable third with the same people who have ranted on about the achievement of qualifying for Euro 2012 no doubt praising his achievement for a respectable almost qualification for the world cup. If even the best manager in the world sends you out to contain your opponents then you will believe that is the best you can hope for as will many fans it seems.
    If there's an option that can do better, I'm all ears.

We don't need a new team, we need to introduce a few new faces to the team, get rid of some of the dross, and try a few new things tactically.

Not to be argumentative, but we definitely do need a new team. As far as I can see, Duff, Keane, Given and Dunne are up for reitrement. While Ward, O'Shea, McGeady, Doyle and Whelan are not good enough.

That's pretty much Trapattoni's first team out. All that's left is St Ledger and Andrews.

Now I don't mean they need a completely new squad, I just mean they need a new starting 11.

We still have Westwood, Cox, McClean, Gibson, O'Dea, Long, Hunt, Walters and McShane. Well maybe not McShane.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

If there's an option that can do better, I'm all ears.

Is that the way to do things? If something is not working don't try something else unless you are 100% certain it will be better. There is no golden ticket here but we do need a change imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Not to be argumentative, but we definitely do need a new team. As far as I can see, Duff, Keane, Given and Dunne are up for reitrement. While Ward, O'Shea, McGeady, Doyle and Whelan are not good enough.

That's pretty much Trapattoni's first team out. All that's left is St Ledger and Andrews.

Now I don't mean they need a completely new squad, I just mean they need a new starting 11.

We still have Cox, McClean, Gibson, O'Dea, Long, Hunt, Walters and McShane. Well maybe not McShane.

Gibson and Hunt are worse than what's in there already. O'Dea is out of contract at Celtic. He needs to blood the likes of Coleman, Wilson, Clark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Sean Tse (Man City CB)
    Shane Duffy (Everton CB)
    Marc Wilson (Stoke LB)
    Paul McBride (Spurs LW)

Enda Stevens at Villa is another.

Hopefully, a few of those guys will be able to eventually break into a top 5-6 side in the Premier League in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Lads, the solution lies in the grass roots policy and the implementation of the right coaching at schoolboy level in Ireland. The team and the manager can only take the blame for the results of the past 2 games, anything beyond is the responsibility of the nation, it's footballing association and it's available talent pool.

You can't skip a level at this, it's a system that needs to be working in order for the national team to flourish. I think it's pretty vacant to single out Dunne, Given, Keane & Duff considering the service they have given their country and always, always as consumate professionals. Replacing the entire spine of a team is not an easy task.

Agree 100%. But these boys need to be primed first, at the moment, we have what we have and it might not be great, but it has to do until the young lads are ready for action. Clarke, Coleman and Wilson should be used regularily and blended in to the starting 11 over time. Not right away, it would be a disaster. At least Hunt has a bit of drive in him though, he seems to be interested in attacking, unlike the rest of the lads. But I agree, he's not the best either.
    godeas16 wrote: »
    Gibson and Hunt are worse than what's in there already. O'Dea is out of contract at Celtic. He needs to blood the likes of Coleman, Wilson, Clark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I have been a big critic of McGeady in the past, but he isn't the villan people are making him out to be. He made 30% of the entire tackles for the Irish team last night.

IMG_0070.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Trap has two years till the end of his contract. If there isn't an improvement in performances or results (if we beat Germany and Sweden), he'll be gone in a year, I feel. I feel we should be looking to emulate Holland in how we do things.

A small nation that has achieved phenomenally on the world stage. Given our player pool is about half of theirs (including a realistic proportion from the North and a small proportion of the UK), we won't be looking to be the best team in Europe, but be a decent squad. I'd like to see the likes of Hiddink or Advocaat approached for the job once Trap is gone. With Koevermans looking set for the India job, we need to get another high class youth development coach.

But another issue exists, which I think is a fundamental flaw in Irish football. The lack of a half decent domestic league. Trapattoni mentioned things about footballing identity, which we don't have as all of our best players from age 16 are in the English system. If you look at Spain, the clubs there emulate how the national team play, and the same can be said for Germany (Klinsmann famously told the teams to play in a certain way when he was national team coach), Portugal, Italy, Holland, France and Turkey to name but a few. Now, I'm not an LOI fan (I'm a barstooler, if you will), but something needs to be done at that level. It's along term project, and it's difficult, bit it HAS to be fixed. **** it, if APOEL Nicosia can make the last 8 of the Champions League, why the hell not Bohs, Rovers, Sligo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Savman wrote: »
    Lads, the solution lies in the grass roots policy and the implementation of the right coaching at schoolboy level in Ireland. The team and the manager can only take the blame for the results of the past 2 games, anything beyond is the responsibility of the nation, it's footballing association and it's available talent pool.

You can't skip a level at this, it's a system that needs to be working in order for the national team to flourish. I think it's pretty vacant to single out Dunne, Given, Keane & Duff considering the service they have given their country and always, always as consumate professionals. Replacing the entire spine of a team is not an easy task.

I'm open to correction on this,but how exactly is Ireland supposed to groom its talent and have its players playing a certain way? Is that not the job of the football clubs and their academy's? And I'm fairly certain that LOI clubs dont have the resources to develop their own talent considering we are talking about semi-pro clubs who have come through some hard times of late.

It would seem to me that because of the state of our national game, we are at the mercy of English clubs to groom players for the national side. Even though its very difficult on young lads and their families, players going over to England between 14-16 years of age is much better for their development as footballers.

TaosHum wrote: »
    Enda Stevens at Villa is another.

Hopefully, a few of those guys will be able to eventually break into a top 5-6 side in the Premier League in the future.

You've just reminded me - Samier Carruthers & Jack Grealish of Villa too

There's a dispute behind the scenes between the Irish and English FA over Villa's Jordan Graham too....but he'll go to England!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Clark, Duffy, Brady, McClean, Gibson, Wilson, McCarthy, Coleman, Meyler and Long. Im sure i could be forgetting a few but thats alot of good young talent. The future is not doom and gloom but im afraid Trap wont give youngsters a chance.

On a seperate note if i was Darron Gibson i wouldnt play under Trap again after Green coming on instead of him. He has to start the next game. Would be nice to see Trap give McClean, Gibson and Long a start but he probably wont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

We will have a great chance of qualifying for the European Championships in four years time given that it will be 24 teams. We should be building a team with that in mind.

Our group for 2014 qualifying is tough. Topping it is out of the question and second will be an uphill battle (Sweden are a level above Armenia, Slovakia and Estonia).

Westwood, McCarthy, Coleman, Long, McLean, Duffy, Clark are the players we should be building around.

Not everyone will agree, but imo players who won’t be around in 2016 should be discarded now unless we absolutely have no other options in their position. For instance, we have plenty of striker options, so we can phase out Robbie Keane. Likewise Damien Duff. We also have a decent replacement for Given.

None of this is going to happen though. Some people would prefer to hoof our way to the next finals and show no ambition when we get there. That’s fine and no doubt would be an achievement in itself, but I believe Irish football is capable of more than that.

+1

Nailed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Nuts102 wrote: »
    On a seperate note if i was Darron Gibson i wouldnt play under Trap again after Green coming on instead of him. He has to start the next game. Would be nice to see Trap give McClean, Gibson and Long a start but he probably wont.

I think Trap was planning to give all the outfielders a run in this group. I'd say the reason McClean and Green got a run v Spain was he knew the game was already lost and now was as good a time to give two fellas who were clearly way down the pecking order their experience.

For the Italy game I expect all of Kelly, McShane, Gibson, Hunt, O'Dea to play some part whether as subs or possibly in Gibsons and Kellys case a start. Doubly so now that the game is effectively meaningless to us. Westwood might even start too.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

I'll probably be outspoken but I think Mick McCarthy should be brought back as manager.

He qualified us for the world cup in 2002 playing a style that was much more impressive than the current one.

He was a decent manager in the premiership, Wolves rocketed down to the foot of the table after he left.

He's a generally liked man in this country that would be given a chance by the public.

I think he'd be more likely to give the young players a lot more chances than Trap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Cokeistan wrote: »
    I'll probably be outspoken but I think Mick McCarthy should be brought back as manager.
    I'd love him back but why should he bother after the way (as I saw it anyway) he was vilified over Saipan and practically hounded out of the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I'd love him back but why should he bother after the way (as I saw it anyway) he was vilified over Saipan and practically hounded out of the job.

I'd agree - poison challace anyway.

I don't want Duff, Given or Keane to retire (perfectly happy for Duff and Keane to just get less gametime) but assuming they do:

It would be out with

Keane
    Duff
    Given
    Green (I pray)
    McShane (I pray).

In with:
    Coleman
    McCarthy
    Clark
    Wilson
    McClean
    Possibly Best
    Pilkinton

I don't see Wes H ever being brought in unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Lads a fella who rang in there has just said on Spin South West just there, " Looking at Aidan McGeady ,If I was in the stand last night I would have shot him!"

kitakyushu wrote: »

+1 for this.

I would love to see Mick back, the man was a very good manager, but I would expect him to tell the FAI to p1ss off with themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

This is the team I'd be looking to start the qualification with:

Westwood, Coleman, Dunne (to be replaced with Duffy over the campaign), Clark, Wilson, Gibson, McCarthy, Ireland/Hoolahan, Hoolahan/Pilkington, Walters, Long

Playing a kind of 4-3-1-2 where Hoolahan/Pilkington drift to both wings, Walters offers width in the buildup, Ireland/Hoolahan push on, Coleman canters forward, and Gibson/McCarthy hold, but actually use the ball and retain posession (Retain, not dominate). This is still a relatively direct team who accept they are on the back foot against bigger teams, but can dominate the smaller ones, and more importantly will use the ball better and give it away less against everyone due to the players being more technically accomplished.

McClean/Brady/Mason/McGeady the main impact subs, witth the team able to swap to a more conventional 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-2, whatever suits the particular match, and Coleman could be moved up to RW with Kelly coming on.

Just my view on what it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

G.K. wrote: »

Westwood, Coleman, Dunne (to be replaced with Duffy over the campaign), Clark, Wilson, Gibson, McCarthy, Ireland/Hoolahan, Hoolahan/Pilkington, Walters, Long

Playing a kind of 4-3-1-2 where Hoolahan/Pilkington drift to both wings, Walters offers width in the buildup, Ireland/Hoolahan push on, Coleman canters forward, and Gibson/McCarthy hold, but actually use the ball and retain posession (Retain, not dominate). This is still a relatively direct team who accept they are on the back foot against bigger teams, but can dominate the smaller ones, and more importantly will use the ball better and give it away less against everyone due to the players being more technically accomplished.

McClean/Brady/Mason/McGeady the main impact subs, witth the team able to swap to a more conventional 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-2, whatever suits the particular match, and Coleman could be moved up to RW with Kelly coming on.

Excellent post, pretty much spot on as far as I can see. Unfortunately zero chance of any of that happening under the current regime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The future in terms of playing talent for Ireland is actually fairly bright, I just fear another two years of Trap and the old guard not retiring could be disastrous. Personally I think Brian Kerr should be given another opportunity and the €2m a year saved on wages should be ploughed into a national acadamy.

For the Serbia friendly I'd go something like
    Westwood

Foley/Kelly--O'Shea--Clarke/Duffy---Wilson/Cunningham

Gibson---McCarthy

McGeady/Brady--Ireland/Wes H----McClean/Carruthers(snap him up before someone else does)

Long/Walters/Best

I think a lot of people are over rating Coleman altough he would have been suitable in traps current system but his form this season has been poor. The likes of Glen Whelan and Kevin Doyle need to be kept in the squad but they should not be guaranteed starters.
    Also the LOI can still churn out another few international standard players in the next couple of years.

edit: GK's post above mine hits the nail on the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭QDog10

The biggest problem that i see currently is that kids now have to make a choice between rugby, soccer or GAA at a ridiculously early age. 20 years ago you could combine sports at a weekend but doesnt seem to be the case anymore. Countries like Holland don't have an issue with kids competing for alternative sports and given their footballing history will always be a power player in football.
    Has Stephen Reid retired?? He would be our first choice right back. Fahey will also be back in action next season.. A lot of specualtion about a lad called Alan Judge moving to a decent club this summer in UK. Is he any use??

QDog10 wrote: »
    A lot of specualtion about a lad called Alan Judge moving to a decent club this summer in UK. Is he any use??

He was Notts Couty player of the year - but that's only League One

He might be in line for a move to The Championship!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Seems a bit of a redundant debate with Trap in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

G.K. wrote: »

You want to make 10 changes to a starting XI? When has that ever worked?

Also, McGeady is far better than Hoolohan/Pilkington I don't know where all this vitriolic hate is coming from.

And Stephen Ireland can fcuk off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Savman wrote: »

My solution would be to get rid of Delaney and most of the FAI and replace them with people with new ideas.

Concentrate on grass roots. The problem with the Irish grass roots is that it is focused on physicality not skill, so emphasis is on big,strong players.

In countries like Netherlands, Spain, France etc, it's all about developing technical footballing skills. That's why Spain wiped the floor with us last night.

Skill will always win out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement