Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Independent thinkers

• 15-06-2012 9:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I've often heard people describe themselves as independent thinkers. The implication is there are people who would describe themselves as dependent thinkers.

Where are all the dependent thinkers? No one describes themself as a dependent thinker.

What other adjectives do people use to describe themselves that adds no information as everyone uses that adjective to describe themselves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm waiting for someone to turn up & tell me what to write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Where are all the dependent thinkers? No one describes themself as a dependent thinker.

In homes. Or licking windows somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Opinionated bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

the only people that call themselves independent thinkers are hipsters and knob-ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

North Korea.

Them cats get told when to crap man.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure there are any thinkers in the Independent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Ghandee wrote: »

North Korea.

Them cats get told when to crap man.

Poop call isn't so bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I've often heard people describe themselves as independent thinkers. The implication is there are people who would describe themselves as dependent thinkers.

What other adjectives do people use to describe themselves that adds no information as everyone uses that adjective to describe themselves.

where is that picture of Fintan o Toole or Tintan o Fool as he is also known? Or Maybe John waters the voice of rural Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm not sure there are any thinkers in the Independent

not in the sindo at any rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'm so independent I often disagree with myself.
    I don't really by the way!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Independent thinkers = Not the sheep that just blindly accept every word from a political party or religion, organisation etc as gospel and 'must be obeyed like good little proles'.
    They don't follow others just because its 'the done thing' or because their family before them did so or just because they are related to them!

Independent thinkers = just look at something and analyse to some degree and question first - not just accept like some lazy arsed, complacent muppet!

Independant thinkers = conspiracy theorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

go to an airport, stand near a boarding gate and wait for a flight to be called, the person who actively gets up and goes to the gate is an independent thinker, the other herd of people who stand around awkwardly waiting for one person to make move first so the rest can follow are dependent thinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Don't know any independent thinkers but I know a group of travellers, will that do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

You are not alone.................

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

krudler wrote: »
    go to an airport, stand near a boarding gate and wait for a flight to be called, the person who actively gets up and goes to the gate is an independent thinker, the other herd of people who stand around awkwardly waiting for one person to make move first so the rest can follow are dependent thinkers.

No doubt they would all describe themselves as independent thinkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭ronano

'Independent thinkers' are usually just self important arrogant filled c5nts who are nothing of the sort. It strokes their own ego to think it but usually they've a myopia and ill informed view of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I remember watching a documentary before about the typical traits of Ryanair passengers. According to David Attenborough, it's possible to see people reverting to using base human instincts such as peripheral vision (to ensure no-one sidles into the queue unfairly), heightened senses (better be ready when the queue moves or you'll miss your spot!), combative stance (make yourself bigger to deter people from squeezing through).

The ultimate prize (getting a seat with lots of leg room) will go to the tallest and strongest male, or the female with the biggest hips and home making abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

"Would you like a cup of tea?"
    "Em, I don't mind"

^^Not an independant thinker^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"Good fun with a great sense of humour"

Nobody describes themselves as a miserable git who can't take a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Plenty of them over in conspiracy theories forum

They are smugly correct and the rest of us are sheep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Or the person who gets up and stands queuing for ages because Ryanair said they should is a dependent thinker and the person who sits calmly reading their book/newspaper and waits until the end and then boards to avoid having to stand around like a moron for way too long is an independent thinker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Biggins wrote: »
    Independent thinkers = Not the sheep that just blindly accept every word from a political party or religion, organisation etc as gospel and 'must be obeyed like good little proles'.
    They don't follow others just because its 'the done thing' or because their family before them did so or just because they are related to them!

Independent thinkers = just look at something and analysis to some degree and question first - not just accept like some lazy arsed, complacent muppet!

So Independent thinkers = people who agree with me, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I agree with whatever you say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What I think depends on the situation I'm in, surely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ronano wrote: »
    'Independent thinkers' are usually just self important arrogant filled c5nts who are nothing of the sort. It strokes their own ego to think it but usually they've a myopia and ill informed view of the world.

No - thats a FF/FG/Labour elected TD.
    The non 'Independent thinkers' are a lot of their supporters!

Advertisement