Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so who was awesome live?

Options
  • 15-06-2012 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

I've got out of the way of going to live gigs.... kids, old age, the price of tickets now....... but there have been some greats over the years.....

for me?

Tommy Emmanuel is the best guitarist alive. WHEN he's live. his CDs don't capture the sparkle.... look on youtube and be amazed if you aren't familiar with him. one of two acts I've paid to see twice.

U2 on the Josua tree tour. magnificent

Gary Moore on still got the blues tour..... he had!

the Everly brothers..... reunion tour and again two years later.... just wonderful

Ghost of an american Airman.... support twice, for Aha (both great) and Hot house flowers (both even better!)

David lee Roth.... wow!

Frankie Goes to Hollywood.... HOW LOUD WAS THAT?????????

there have been disappointments too....... but lets stick on the good for now.

who has wowed you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Moving Hearts in the Baggot Inn, best live experience I ever had followed by numerous Horslips gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Ive said it before and il say it again................

FAITH NO MORE at the Olympia a few yrs ago.

The anticipation, the atmosphere, the crowd, the band..........................The Perfect Gig

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Kanye West and Jay Z last weekend. 2 hours of non-stop hits being played. An incredibly well produced concert. Everything about it was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Started going to gigs about four years ago, some highlights for me have been;

Jimmy MacCarthy - National Concert Hall 2009 : a man with passion and poetry, plays numerous instruments live, no band, just the man behind the melodies telling the stories and inspirations behind his songs as the audience sings along to every note

Green Day - Marlay Park 2010 : best value gig I've ever been to, €67 for two great supports followed by an energetic and charismatic headline band playing a 3.5 hour set

Take That - Croke Park 2011 : I know :P, they put on a great show I won't lie. So much variety between the dance-orientated performances to Gary's piano medley and Robbie William's energetic return to the stage he still promises to play a free concert upon

Slash - Oxegen 2011 : mad rock 'n' roll singalong with an iconic guitarist, and one which Appetite For Destruction wouldn't have been possible without

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - O2 2012 : played B-sides and all, great value all the same for €40

Paddy Casey - Button Factory 2012 : fabulous intimate show, in a venue best suited for general atmosphere, the crowd interacted with Casey as much as he did with us, some of us even got to meet the man between support acts

Still to come....

RHCP - Croke Park
    Stone Roses - Phoenix Park
    Snow Patrol/FATM - Phoenix Park
    Feeder - Academy
    Leonard Cohen - Royal Hospital Kilmainham
    Darren Hayes - Vicar Street
    Kelly Clarkson - O2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

+1 on Green Day, amazing live show. Sure, they leave a bit lacking in terms of variety and musical proficiency, but incredible energy.

Radiohead absolutely blew my mind in Malahide Castle a few years ago. Unfortunately I haven't been able to make it to them since. A weird band in that they make mistakes relatively often (compared to bands of a comparable vintage/experience/success), their show isn't always that tight, but that kinda rawness adds a lot I think. And I'm always amazed to see 5 guys doing so many different things in the space of one gig.

The Flaming ****ing Lips!! I've seen these guys 6 times and I've never been disappointed. It was a little annoying before around 2010, when a lot of their show was done to backing tracks with no room for any flex, and their set lists were pretty stale a lot of the time (for a band with so many records, the gigs always seemed to dip into the same 20 songs... Always start with Race For The Prize, always end with Do You Realize??...). But lately they've broken away from that, started playing more songs entirely live and bringing out more varied sets. When these guys are on form, they're ****ing fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

frag420 wrote: »
    Ive said it before and il say it again................

FAITH NO MORE at the Olympia a few yrs ago.

The anticipation, the atmosphere, the crowd, the band..........................The Perfect Gig

Couldn't get tickets so saw them in Edinburgh instead.

Best gig I ever saw. Hands down. Bar none.

And my expectations were high.

Obligavid.........

Also, got to meet Bill Gould afterwards. Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

The Flaming Lips are great live. I went to a Bob Dylan concert years ago. Dylan was terrible, might as well have been a cardboard cutout up on stage, but the Flaming Lips, who were a supporting act, completely stole the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

The Flaming Lips are great live. I went to a Bob Dylan concert years ago. Dylan was terrible, might as well have been a cardboard cutout up on stage, but the Flaming Lips, who were a supporting act, completely stole the show.

My first Lips show, I was looking forward to that for months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

The Stones 1973 in Brisbane. I was a kid but it was just magic.

Madness 1983 (I think)

David Bowie 1984

Dr Feelgood 1992 in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

Springsteen is always amazing live, going to see him next month again :)

Arcade Fire in the O2 were incredible, great atmosphere!

and I second the Kanye & Jay-Z mention also :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Saw Thin Lizzy several times between 77 and 83 and in every concert they were fantastic. One of the very best bands live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Faith No More were nothing short of awesome in the Olympia back in 2009, I can't think of a better gig than that from my experience.

Rammstein earlier this year could only described as "wow".

Fun Lovin' Criminals the few times I seen them were excellent each time.

Fear Factory and Garcia Plays Kyuss were both great gigs too...

There's just far too many to list, those are the truly outstanding ones though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Kanye West and Jay Z last weekend. 2 hours of non-stop hits being played. An incredibly well produced concert. Everything about it was perfect.

I was at that one too and it was brilliant.

Apart from that, And So I Watch You From Afar really impressed me when I saw them play.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

AC/DC in the o2 - 2009, I have been listening to them since I can remember, I had stayed off school to get tickets for the gig, when I went the atmosphere was unreal! Everyone was so buzzed, I was up the very front when the DC came on, it was absolutely amazing!!! Blew me away!

Few others that were awesome were:
    The Darkness - Olympia 2011
    Kiss - o2 2010
    Rage against the machine - o2 2010
    Alice cooper - o2 2011
    Machine head - Olympia 2012
    And the two times I saw Bon jovi :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Queen - 1984 Works tour and 1986 Wembley and Knebworth gigs.
    Rush - Excellent live and getting better with age (if that's possible)
    David Lee Roth - epitome of a rock gig on the Skyscraper tour

Probably the best ever gig I was at was upstairs in Edwards (Birmingham) at Tigertailz @ 1990(ish) awesome hair metal played in a sauna - had to wring our shirts out after..

R.I.P. Pepsi Tate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I saw Messiah J and The Expert a few years ago in the SU in Maynooth. There were about 50 people at the gig. Almost none of them were there for MJEX. I think The Coronas or someone else shíte were playing after and they wanted to hear them.

The set that MJEX played was brilliant. Full band playing with them. Great performance from the Messiah on the mic as well.

That was back in '09. Would love to see them again some time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I saw Roger waters twice (dark side and the wall), both stand out as being two of the best gigs I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Thin Lizzy
    Rory Gallagher
    Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

The Specials
    The Clash
    The Jam
    Pixies (until '92)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

The Foo Fighters are absolutely amazing! Best concert I've ever been at!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

sleep, primus, faith no more, danzig, rammstein, springsteen (unplugged), jello biafra, killing joke, slayer and Metallica playing the entire master of puppets album was also brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

Portishead & Rammstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Foo fighters-2011. Played non-stop for three and a half hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Michael Jackson Cork 1988 - The sheer noise from the crowd during the intro was unbelievable. Ive never witnessed such adulation for a performer since and doubt I ever will.

AC/DC The Point 1991 - This was always my favourite concert until Roger Waters this year.

David Bowie The Point 2003 - Seen the man 10 times and with the exeption of Slane in 87, every show has been incredible. I'll plug the first of the 2 nights in the Point as the best, simply for the rendition of Life on Mars. The ovation after that song must have went on for 5 mins. Pity the DVD of these shows included the 2nd nights performance.

Roger Waters The O2 2012 - I love "The Wall" and always looked at footage of the 1980 gigs in Earls Court with misty eyes. The 2012 tour blew me away. The sheer scale of the set was unbelievable, but to hear one of my favourite albums live with such ground breaking visuals probably results in this being my favourite gig ever.

Other notable mentions:
    Depeche Mode at the Point in 1993,
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse at the Point 2001,
    James Brown at Vicar St 2006
    Alice in Chains at the SFX 1993.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Loving the variety here folks!!

the only gig I've ever gone home from and gone straight to the Net to buy CDs was Clapton on his Mr Johnston tour. I didn't buy Clapton CDs though, I bought 3 of the support acts albums.

Robert Randolf and the family band.

AWESOME sock pedal steel guitar! (and they're the blind boys of Alabamas house band)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

Leonard Cohen - Lissadell house and The O2. Amazing!! Going to see him again in September :D

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

The All American Rejects, Metallica are also fantastic in concert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

I have been to alot of gigs over the years but the best live performance I have ever seen is easily by Muse..

Muse may not be the most liked band in the world.. some people hate the voice, the music.. But as far as raw live performances go they are untouchable!

1st time I saw them live was in the Olympia (one of the best venues ever), blew my freaking mind!!

Their newer music is not as well suited to a full set list and they put too much emphasis on stage props but their live performances are still the best around! they've also won countless "best live act" awards!

• Advertisement
Advertisement