Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AirPort Express Base Station extend wifi by adding more?

• 15-06-2012 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

hi folks, does anyone know if its possible to extend an apple wifi network by adding additional AirPort Express Base Station's? ie so that it shows as the one wifi network, and users automatically roam on to the closest one, and do not have to enter a password to connect to each wifi device?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

AFAIK yes you can, just select repeater mode when setting it up with the Airport utility software

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

AFAIK yes you can, just select repeater mode when setting it up with the Airport utility software

so i can use one to extend a weak wifi area in my house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Oceans12 wrote: »
    hi folks, does anyone know if its possible to extend an apple wifi network by adding additional AirPort Express Base Station's? ie so that it shows as the one wifi network, and users automatically roam on to the closest one, and do not have to enter a password to connect to each wifi device?

thanks

As long as you have an -n specification model you can. Go into the wireless settings and tick "allow this network to be extended".

so i can use one to extend a weak wifi area in my house?

Sort of: the remote APX can only extend the signal it receives. So (like me) you will get 5 bars on your iPad once set up but the underlying quality of the data will still be strained.

I went out and bought the new APX instead. Sorted.

so what you're saying is: disable the wifi on my ****ty b/g modem/router, plug 1 airport express into the ethernet of same modem/router and if my wifi improves well and good, and if not, buy a second express as both of them will be N (as is every other apple wifi device in my house) and work better together?

would an express not work as well repeating my current modem/router if i put it just on the fringe of my wifi area (where i still get full bars)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My old b/g Airport Extreme is connected to my Netopia router. The wireless is switched off on the Netopia. I also have an Airport Express (also b/g) that extends the same network. Same network, same password.

Having the same network is essential for using Airplay, the Remote App on my iPhone for accessing my iTunes library, controlling ATV, etc.

My Dad has the same Airport Extreme as I do but his Airport Express is b/g/n. It extends the network for him too but it was easier to set up.

so what you're saying is: disable the wifi on my ****ty b/g modem/router, plug 1 airport express into the ethernet of same modem/router and if my wifi improves well and good, and if not, buy a second express as both of them will be N (as is every other apple wifi device in my house) and work better together?

would an express not work as well repeating my current modem/router if i put it just on the fringe of my wifi area (where i still get full bars)

No, I'm not saying that exactly. I'm saying that were you to extend the network to a second APX, all it can do is extend the signal it receives. If the signal is weak in your bedroom and you install it there, you will continue to get a weak signal.

If however, you installed it near the bedroom, so that it is amplifying a more powerful signal and you then connect to that, you will reap the benefits.

culabula wrote: »

If however, you installed it near the bedroom, so that it is amplifying a more powerful signal and you then connect to that, you will reap the benefits.

Thats what i said in my post, on the fringe, where i still get full signal. cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

Does anybody know, since the new one is dual band, are you able to then boost the two networks coming off your airport extreme at the Same time?

Does anybody know, since the new one is dual band, are you able to then boost the two networks coming off your airport extreme at the Same time?

I have one and I believe that is possible (though I am using that one as the host access point).

• Advertisement

Thats what i said in my post, on the fringe, where i still get full signal. cool.

Yes, but to me "on the fringe" conveys an area of feeble coverage. I would make sure it's well within a quality signal area but at the same time not too far from your weak spot.

Advertisement