Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many phone lines can a single overhead cable provide?

• 15-06-2012 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows who many phone lines can be provided on a single run of overhead phone cable?

The reason I ask is that KN networks have been doing major cabling works in Portarlington over the last month or so.
    They've run new cable and replaced alot of poles down our road(boreen), but have stopped running the cable about 50 meters from our house.
    The new cable runs about a mile down the road passing about 13 houses and it would appear that no more cable is being run.
    There are only 5 more houses on the road and only about 200 meters of cable would need to be run.

I'm hoping that our run of cable might be connected into the new run, or could it be a case that the old cable will be left
    on the pole along with the new cable and we will not get our cable upgraded?

Currently getting 2Mb, which I know is better than nothing, but I had got my hopes up that the new cable may improve our speed.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Typically 50 100 ...or or 200 pairs in extremis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭keithoh

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Typically 50 100 ...or or 200 pairs in extremis.

Thanks Sponge_Bob. Would it seem unusual that they never continued the cable for the last 200 meters to pass the last 5 houses?
    Or could it be possible that they would connect our old cable onto the new run and remove the remaining old cable (which still runs the full length of the road) at a later date?

Sorry for all the questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The bottleneck may have been nearer the exchange and there may be enough pairs on the remainder of the run. We'll never know. :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The bottleneck may have been nearer the exchange and there may be enough pairs on the remainder of the run. We'll never know. :)

Okay. Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

All overhead cable now being run by eircom will have 30 pairs along with a 7-core steel cable to carry the weight of the cable from pole to pole. Then there's the drop point cable from pole to house which has two pairs typically and then there's the junction box cable where the individual phone lines come in and that will usually be connected with a ten-pair cable to the main 30 pair cable.

Usually the old cable will be left in situ and probably your pair won't be transferred. When KN did similar work near my family's house, only houses formerly supplied with pairgains were transferred to the new cable.

• Advertisement

All overhead cable now being run by eircom will have 30 pairs along with a 7-core steel cable to carry the weight of the cable from pole to pole.

Usually the old cable will be left in situ and probably your pair won't be transferred. When KN did similar work near my family's house, only houses formerly supplied with pairgains were transferred to the new cable.

That cable is exactly what I saw, wasn't sure how many pairs were in it, but it does have the 7-core steel cable running alongside it.

Ericom were out on the road today, and my wife asked them if they were running the new cable to the last five houses, and he said that they weren't
    but that the our old stretch of cable will be connected onto the new line.
    Not sure if that's true or not, but I'm hoping that's what they'll do.

It doesn't appear to be people on pairgains just being transferred as some of my neighbours with DSL are currently being connected onto it.

My wife also mentioned that they were putting a new junction box on one of the poles, not sure what that is.

Advertisement