Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road works in Sandyford Industrial Estate

Options
  • 15-06-2012 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭

I've just heard that the road in front of the Microsoft buildings in Sandyford Industrial Estate is being converted from a One Way system to a Two Way system!

I presume this means the introduction of full lights at the Woodies road junction, the junction at Cafe Togo and the junction at the road running parallel to the Luas track. IMO they'd be needed to allow the safe flow of traffic.

Cannot wait to see the utter chaos this causes in the evening to the traffic trying to leave the estate!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

RosieJoe wrote: »
    I've just heard that the road in front of the Microsoft buildings in Sandyford Industrial Estate is being converted from a One Way system to a Two Way system!

I presume this means the introduction of full lights at the Woodies road junction, the junction at Cafe Togo and the junction at the road running parallel to the Luas track. IMO they'd be needed to allow the safe flow of traffic.

Cannot wait to see the utter chaos this causes in the evening to the traffic trying to leave the estate!

Even more "fun" will be the number of accidents as people continue to turn right coming out of (for example) AIB... straight into oncoming traffic!! :eek: (after all, it's not unknown for people to turn LEFT into cars coming down the road as it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

RosieJoe wrote: »

It was something like that before when I was only a young fella. In a strange way it is like going back to old times again.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They are putting in cycle lanes too, if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭elleelle19

Looks like this new system will be opening tomorrow (although people are already driving the "wrong" way)

Anyone know exactly what the new system is? looks like some of it is going to be two way and some still one way.

There will be chaos this evening :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I started another thread on this, see here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

thanks God...i cycle to work in sandyford...the traffice is definitely getting a lot more congested around sandyford since they started changing the traffic layout..

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

thebourke wrote: »
    thanks God...i cycle to work in sandyford...the traffice is definitely getting a lot more congested around sandyford since they started changing the traffic layout..

Any idea when will traffic leaving the estate in the evenings might improve? will it only be once they get rid of leopardstown roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

The current works are to open an exit for buses onto the Leopardstown Road, incl AirCoach I presume - perhaps this will help. Dont know when the work will be done on the roundabout..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Buses only??? are you sure about that. Surely it is to help traffic heading fore the M50 and Murphystown Road to avoid the roundabout while it is being upgraded to a signalled junction and the new link road to Murphystown/Ballyogan is done.

I see they're out digging again all along the side of the Microsoft buildings.. anyone know what's going on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I see they're out digging again all along the side of the Microsoft buildings.. anyone know what's going on?

It's definitely nothing to do with Prism;

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

They are putting in a cycle lane.

http://www.sbda.ie/newsdocs/plan-blackthorn-road.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

They really havn't got a clue, I thought they were going to do what they should have done from the very start and extend the absolute joke of the left turn lane.

They really havn't got a clue, I thought they were going to do what they should have done from the very start and extend the absolute joke of the left turn lane.

+1

Aside from the fact that there's no reason why this couldn't have been done months ago with the rest of the works, there's no need for it. There are very few cyclists on this road/estate in general compared to other traffic and no amount of tree-hugging anti-car shyte will change that.

Most people either get the LUAS, bus or drive and 2 of these are certainly being made more awkward with these "improvements"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Aside from the fact that there's no reason why this couldn't have been done months ago with the rest of the works

The current road layout was done in a hurry to solve the traffic problems. I guess they didn't want to delay it and cause further problems by adding a cycle lane.
    there's no need for it. There are very few cyclists on this road/estate in general

Maybe they think if there are more cycle lanes there'll be more cyclists because it will appear to be a safer form of transport? Maybe they think the traffic problems in the estate can be reduced slightly by convincing some motorists who travel short distances to cycle instead?

markpb wrote: »
    Maybe they think if there are more cycle lanes there'll be more cyclists because it will appear to be a safer form of transport? Maybe they think the traffic problems in the estate can be reduced slightly by convincing some motorists who travel short distances to cycle instead?

I doubt it myself. From what I see every morning the vast majority of people arrive by LUAS, then car and bus. The building I work in has a full car park by around half 9 and very few of these people are living in the immediate area which let's face it, is an industrial estate/half-finished residential building site with very few amenities beyond a Dunnes and some celtic tiger era furniture shops - that's why the really overpriced Londis shop beside the MS buildings does so much trade - captive audience!

I can't see a few cycling lanes changing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I doubt it myself. From what I see every morning the vast majority of people arrive by LUAS, then car and bus. The building I work in has a full car park by around half 9 and very few of these people are living in the immediate area which let's face it, is an industrial estate/half-finished residential building site with very few amenities beyond a Dunnes and some celtic tiger era furniture shops - that's why the really overpriced Londis shop beside the MS buildings does so much trade - captive audience!

I can't see a few cycling lanes changing that.

A big +1 to this. A cycle lane isn't going to change how people arrive to this place!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

I doubt it myself. From what I see every morning the vast majority of people arrive by LUAS, then car and bus. The building I work in has a full car park by around half 9 and very few of these people are living in the immediate area which let's face it, is an industrial estate/half-finished residential building site

I think you misread my post - I didn't say there are already a lot of people cycling, I said there are plenty of people who could cycle.

You may think it's half finished but between Beacon Court, Becon South Quarter and South Central, there are already hundreds or thousands of people living in the estate itself. Immediately surrounding the estate and within ten minutes walk are Moreen, Blackthorn, Wedgewood, Balally, Clonlea, Dun Emer, Stillorgan Heath and Woodford.

After that and only a short cycle (10-15 mins) away are Stillorgan, Dundrum, Balinteer, Leopardstown, Murphystown, Ticknock, Foxrock and parts of Rathfarnham. There's plenty of scope for more people to cycle into the estate once the right infrastructure is there. If you want to continue driving, it might even make your commute easier. No-one is forcing anyone to cycle but it also doesn't mean the council should take your anecdotal car park story as reason not to provide cycling infrastructure.
    BDJW wrote: »
    A big +1 to this. A cycle lane isn't going to change how people arrive to this place!

Based on?

If there were only footpaths and cycle lanes into the estate, could we claim that a road shouldn't be built because a road isn't going to change how anyone gets into this place? It's a nonsensical argument. They built that pointless road from Stillorgan Luas to Drumartin Link last year and no-one used it - did you have a problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

They built that pointless road from Stillorgan Luas to Drumartin Link last year and no-one used it - did you have a problem with that?

In fairness, the road is used quite a bit during rush hour, maybe that justified it because they couldnt fix the mess they created at the Beacon Hotel junction..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

They built that pointless road from Stillorgan Luas to Drumartin Link last year and no-one used it - did you have a problem with that?

I love that road. Building it made it much easier to access Airfield, Dundrum and Nutgrove.

The Beacon Junction should be no right-turn coming from the industrial estate. That'd divert traffic along the link road.

• Advertisement
Advertisement