Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel time from Clane to Dublin - rush hour

Options
  • 15-06-2012 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Has anyone any experience of driving into town in the mornings from Clane (or surrounding areas)? I will be looking to get into Harcourt Street by 9.a.m. and leaving at 5.15 to get home no later than 6.30 pm. The buses/trains etc. are not convenient as I have to take children to creche in the mornings and pick them up in the evenings.

Was planning to leave at 7.30 a.m. and go M4 then South Circular. Anyone got any tips?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

South circular and canal are ridiculous traffic hell. Avoid if possible.

I do Clane to Ringsend every day, rarely takes me over an hour even at rush hour. My advice is take the N4, then north quays and hang a right across the liffey wherever makes most sense.

You should also avoid heuston as well -- take a left at the south circular junction and hit conyngham road and parkgate street, much quicker but people avoid it for some reason. Also remember you can use the bus lane on the north quays where the road works are right now, most people seem to not realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 slevovitz

Thanks for that, very helpful! I was thinking the SCR would probably be a nightmare alright, but that's the only route I know... so maybe M4 then down through Chapelizod on to Conyngham Road and along the quays till I cross the river at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 maggege

Isn't a train from Sallins to Dublin a better option?

maggege wrote: »
    Isn't a train from Sallins to Dublin a better option?

Clane isn't sallins, and heuston station isn't harcourt street. Add 40 minutes onto your journey every day, each way.

slevovitz wrote: »
    Thanks for that, very helpful! I was thinking the SCR would probably be a nightmare alright, but that's the only route I know... so maybe M4 then down through Chapelizod on to Conyngham Road and along the quays till I cross the river at some point?

Yeah, that could work, Chapelizod can be a bit of a choke point, and the bypass is never really congested in the morning. I'd say try both and experiment, it's seasonal as well with schools and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Have you considered driving to the train station in either Maynooth or Leixlip, parking there and getting the train to/from Pearse St.?

Rosahane wrote: »
    Have you considered driving to the train station in either Maynooth or Leixlip, parking there and getting the train to/from Pearse St.?

Hardly ever any parking in Maynooth, and again, Pearse is not harcourt street - this adds a pointless 20 minutes to the commute, at least, each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where are you getting parking on Harcourt Street, though? Could easily be either chronically expensive or some distance away.

Advertisement