Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird/Disturbing things you've seen other passengers do on Flights

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I was recently reminded of something I experienced on an internal flight in the US a few years ago.

Sitting on a plane , waiting for everyone to board - fairly empty flight , maybe 30 people or so on a 100 seater plane - 4 hour internal flight.

Guy gets on and sits a few rows in front of me (I was in aisle seat, as was he) . He looked like a fairly typical business traveller - mid 30's , laptop bag over his shoulder etc. so far so normal..

Shortly after the flight took off I heard this odd scratching sound over the usual flight sounds... Couldn't place the sound until I looked at the guy.....

He had a Teddy bear in his lap and was combing it with one of those big horse brushes that have the strap on the back for you to put your hand in!! :eek:

Methodically combing the thing repeatedly.... Air Hostess came down the plane and spotted him and then saw that I saw him too and she really struggled to keep a straight face..

Guy kept this up for the entire 4hr flight. When we landed , he got up , put Teddy back in his bag and off he went...

To this day , I have no idea what was going on - Was he afraid of flying and some weird new age therapist told him to do it?? , Was he just soft in the head??

So - 2 Questions

Theories on what the hell was going on?

Anyone else have people do really weird things on flights?

He was probably an air traffic controller going on hoildays :P

When people sit down and immediately recline their seats to the max and into my knees I like to play a game.

I call it 'How far into their back can I put my knee?'
    :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

When people sit down and immediately recline their seats to the max and into my knees I like to play a game.

LOVE that game!! :)

LOVE that game!! :)

I find it actually does pass the time and help to diminsh knee pain.

And the funny thing is they never say anything because then they would have to put their seat back up.

Hahahah - go on try and sleep f*ckers :P

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I find it actually does pass the time and help to diminsh knee pain.

And the funny thing is they never say anything because then they would have to put their seat back up.

Hahahah - go on try and sleep f*ckers :P

What I like to do is to get the knees in place early so that they can't even start reclining - hold the seat upright , they give up, thinking that the seat is broken somehow and then don't try again for the rest of the flight...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I once sat beside a lady on a Shannon - Boston flight who, just before putting seatbelt on, reached under her tee-shirt and took her bra off , then opened the button and zip of her jeans and wriggled the jeans down her hips a bit, looked at me and said *I get SO bloated on flights* .....

not disturbing just a bit eewww

I once sat beside a lady on a Shannon - Boston flight who, just before putting seatbelt on, reached under her tee-shirt and took her bra off , then opened the button and zip of her jeans and wriggled the jeans down her hips a bit, looked at me and said *I get SO bloated on flights* .....

Still.....as long as the gas remains on the inside :eek:

Nice....On a flight from Hong Kong to Frankfurt, woman opposite me boarded wearing the full on power suit , serious executive type stuff..

It was a night flight , so shortly after we take off she disappears to the toilets and comes back wearing fluffy jammies with bunnies on them , slips on the eye-mask and goes to sleep. When we arrived in Frankfurt she got back into the power suit.... Just very weird...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The January after 9-11, flying Qatar Airlines (iirc) from Dubai to Melbourne, about 5 or 6 guys congregate around a seat about half an hour out of Melbourne, take out their Korans and start reading/praying loudly. I think they did it for the craic. :rolleyes:
    New y-fronts time for all the whiteys onboard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Nice....On a flight from Hong Kong to Frankfurt, woman opposite me boarded wearing the full on power suit , serious executive type stuff..

It was a night flight , so shortly after we take off she disappears to the toilets and comes back wearing fluffy jammies with bunnies on them , slips on the eye-mask and goes to sleep. When we arrived in Frankfurt she got back into the power suit.... Just very weird...

At least she went to the bathroom to change :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

A friend was flying from Rio to Madrid with Iberia a couple of years ago when this guy goes into the toilets and doesn't come out. After a while the crew notice and start knocking on the door, no response. They try a little longer and then they open the door from the outside, only to realise that the poor fecker had died in there!

Anyway, they take the body out of the toilet, lay him in the galley area and draw the curtain around it.

Unfortunately the galley was right in front of where my friend was sitting ... which was disturbing enough in itself without the fact that for the rest of the flight the body twitched from time to time and moved the curtain! :eek:

I'm a big fan of zombie films and I would quite literally have shít myself if that happened to me. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Why does someone always feel the need to post a video on the thread topic?i mean that was as about as funny as an airplane crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

In your opinion....

I got a chuckle out of it!
    Thanks for the video biko :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Was on a plane across the good old USA when we hit a pocket of turbulence. All of a sudden the toilet door flings open and some poor bloke is tossed out of it. Needless to say he picked him up quickly and took his seat

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

If you are that pleasantly surprised to land safely, what the hell were you doing on a plane in the first place? :confused:

to be honest, it's gotten to the stage now where people who complain about people clapping when a plane lands are far more annoying than people who clap when a plane lands. just go with it, and if that's the most aggravating part of a flight for you consider yourself fortunate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

on a flight from Heathrow to Toronto, October 2001 (so Sept 11 still @ the back of people's minds) a guy who looked a kind of bohemian type, long hair in a pony tail, beard, long overcoat; decides to stand upright on his seat and stare straight ahead of him with his arms folded for about 15 minutes. I could literally feel my blood drain downards & my heart started thumping. The air hostess walked past him a couple of times, ignoring him each time and smiling at people sitting nearby, as if to try and reassure everyone that this guy was a bit eccentric. Eventually, they came down to him with a plate of food (ahead of normal cabin service) and he was asleep within 10 minutes. Myself and the guys either side of me were pretty relieved. I have a friend that works with American Airlines as cbin crew, and he said it would have been a definate put-down if it happened on any of their flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Africa wrote: »
    In your opinion....

I got a chuckle out of it!
    Thanks for the video biko :D

It was a bit stupid:P but still funny, the countdown at the end was good:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

bb1234567 wrote: »
    It was a bit stupid:P but still funny, the countdown at the end was good:D

I'd rather sit through a flight with terrorists than sit through that film! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I'd rather sit through a flight with terrorists than sit through that film! :rolleyes:

In fairness the flight wouldnt last very long.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Bit off topic, but it was a weird security Fail .

Getting onto a plane from Sydney to Hawaii in 2002 . . It was less then a year since 9/11 so they were being very thorough, just stopped short of a cavity search ..

They took a corkscrew off me and a steel piece on my shoe!

We get onto to plane, when dinner is served they give us steel forks and knives . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

to be honest, it's gotten to the stage now where people who complain about people clapping when a plane lands are far more annoying than people who clap when a plane lands. just go with it, and if that's the most aggravating part of a flight for you consider yourself fortunate.

To be more honest than you, it's progressed another stage, where people who complain about people complaining about retarded things are an order of magnitude more annoying than both of the previously annoying people combined.
    Just go with it.
    If people noticing and disliking things is the most aggravating part of life to you, consider yourself fortunate.
    I'd give it about a year or two before people like me are more annoying than you, so that staves off the spiral loop we've created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I was on a flight when I was 15, there was a guy who sat beside me at the aisle seat who was maybe 16 or 17. Shortly after the plane took off he started hitting on me, every so often breaking to shout to his mam a few aisles down for some boiled sweets/a book. Luckily it was only a two hour flight, but christ there was no escape. I ended up giving him a fake number just to get him to leave me alone. Here's a tip, don't hit in a girl during a flight who's clearly not interested. You know she has no escape. Ugh.

Other than that, just the usual - kids kicking my seat, crying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I have had my weird experiences on flights also.

I flew from Amsterdam to Cork a few years ago and the flight was filled mainly with Irish stoners and a mixture of Dutch and Irish business people. I was sitting at the aisle and a Dutch Business man (executive type in suit) was sitting at the window and the middle seat was empty. After about 20 minutes I noticed yer man picking his nose and he seem kind of distressed, next thing he did was tear a page out of the flight magazine and blow his nose on it, I reached into bag under the seat and pulled out those miniature kleenex pocket packs and offered him one! He accepted and told me suffered from allergies which I myself do. I was abit astonished by him blowing his nose on the magazine as it wasn't something I expected from a business type in suits.

Back when I was 17 I flew over to my sister in New York as she was working there at the time. It was my first time going away from home unaccompanied and at JFK on the way home some American woman who was in her thirties just happened to start talking to me whilst we were lining up at the gate and asked me about Ireland and I told her about my trip and how it was my first time away etc. She then insisted on "looking after me" on the flight and sat alongside me in a very motherish type way, it was embarrassing, at Shannon she cleared immigration at the same time and continued out alongside me where I met my father and cousin who came to collect me. She then gave me a hug :eek: and introduced herself to my dad and told him what a lovely son he had. After some awkwardness we got rid of her and when we got outside the door my cousin was bursting his hole laughing and my father said, wasn't she a bit old for you, and him and my cousin both thinks I had sexy time with her to this day! :rolleyes:

I've had all the usual things happen otherwise with the worst being an out of control child who kept hitting me on the back of the head and another time a child who'd turn around from in front and proceed to dribble down over the screen infront.

I really lol'd at the post about the Cricket also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The ones that amaze me are the people on a rough flight holding onto their seats.
    If the plane goes down wheres the seat going???:confused:

KoolKid wrote: »
    The ones that amaze me are the people on a rough flight holding onto their seats.
    If the plane goes down wheres the seat going???:confused:

I do this when theres turbulence...stops my boobs bouncing around without actually having to grab onto them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

I hate when people take their shoes off ewwww

akura wrote: »

Yeah thats so gross....farts and feet really annoy me when im stuck in a confined space with someone with the same air being circulated around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I often do that pretending to chew thing to try and get my ears to pop.
    By far the most annoying thing about flying after threat of death and messing around with baggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I had a strange one a few years ago. I was on the aisle, an Indian lady was at the window, and between us was her daughter of about 16. We all went to sleep, then I woke up and she was almost on top of me. Maybe she had a weird dream and thought I was a pillow, or something. Her mother didn't have anything to worry about, though - I'm a gentleman. :cool:
    akura wrote: »
    On a eight-hour flight I defy anyone to keep their shoes on all the way. Your feet swell up at the cabin altitude, and you don't want anything constricting your circulation or you risk DVT. Wear clean socks, then it's not a problem.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

syndeyfife wrote: »
    I do this when theres turbulence...stops my boobs bouncing around without actually having to grab onto them.
    bnt wrote: »
    I had a strange one a few years ago. I was on the aisle, an Indian lady was at the window, and between us was her daughter of about 16. We all went to sleep, then I woke up and she was almost on top of me. Maybe she had a weird dream and thought I was a pillow, or something. Her mother didn't have anything to worry about, though - I'm a gentleman. :cool:

I am getting on the wrong flights.:D

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    I am getting on the wrong flights.:D

Next time theres turbulence on a plane, look at a womans breasticles....they will be jiggling a lot!!

Even on the luas sometimes! You always get a few pervs having a gawk...

On an Internal flight is the states last year. Nearest I got during turbulence was an old lady holding onto her dog.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Be||e wrote: »
    I remembered an incident I read about a few years ago where two women tried to open a cabin door during a flight. :eek:

So I turned to Google to find the article and apparently it is quite a common occurrence - drunk passengers who want to have a smoke think it is perfectly reasonable to open the door to let some fresh air in!

This is the article I was thinking of: Women Try to Open Door Mid-Flight

If its a boeing the door wont open, even if you open the locks.

I don't think any will the pressure in the cabin would prevent it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,280 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Drumpot wrote: »
    Bit off topic, but it was a weird security Fail .

Getting onto a plane from Sydney to Hawaii in 2002 . . It was less then a year since 9/11 so they were being very thorough, just stopped short of a cavity search ..

They took a corkscrew off me and a steel piece on my shoe!

We get onto to plane, when dinner is served they give us steel forks and knives . .

I call shenanigans on this. Now way would any airline give real knives and forks to everyone on the plane. Absolutely impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

The timing of the knee in the back of the seat is important, have to wait until they are just about to fall asleep. When they wake up, repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

I remember going to the states an elderly couple sitting beside me kept getting quite amorous, hands going everywhere. made for a strange few hours.

Once coming back from spain, before we take off i see a lady sitting across from me looking quite nervous then taking a couple of pills, grand they must be to sooth her nerves, a typical nervous flier. Then, at quite frequent intervals she could be seen sobbing, taking more handfuls of pills, continuously for the whole flight, how she wasn't knocked out by what she was taking is beyond me, then when we were landing she was grasping onto her husband saying "oh no, , we're going down we're going down no no" that is the idea when a plane is descending

And once i think coming back from London, during one of the most comfortable landings, not a bump felt there was a guy saying oh god, oh god, oh god, oh god, **** **** ****, and then when the plane finally touched down, softest landing ive ever felt, he started crying. very strange, wonder was he related to that woman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Was the bear made out of his pubes by any chance.

was on a flight to usa in march and got stuck beside a young american guy.
    you would imagine he would be ok seeing as how he kept telling me the whole way through the flight how much travelling he had done etc. etc

so eventually, bored of his stupid stories,(he told me how the more flying he did the more scared he got!) i told him how the safety speach tells you to put your head between your legs, so basically your neck breaks straight away on impact!!

he didnt talk to me anymore..............:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

Was going to ibiza a few years ago, some drunken eedjits started smoking in the middle of the flight, were arrested when we landed :/

Something infintely more disturbing though- saw a man eat a whole pear, including stalk and core, in two bites.
    Disturbing indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

MadYaker wrote: »
    I call shenanigans on this. Now way would any airline give real knives and forks to everyone on the plane. Absolutely impossible.

Qantas did when I flew with them post Sept. 11 on 3 different flights. They had plastic when I flew with them last year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

On an internal flight from Bangkok to Samui some years ago on one of those tiny propeller planes, packed with Thai's.
    As soon as the plane takes off everyone takes out what looks to be a full Thai meal and starts eating.
    Turns out we were on a lunchtime flight and this was just like taking the bus for them :D

MadYaker wrote: »
    I've flown Etihad, Emirates and Qantas over the last two years and always was given metal cutlery on their flights. Most airlines serve metal cutlery to their first and business class passengers also.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

I once had a woman ask the flight attendant would she ever open the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

On a flight from Dublin to Gatwick last week.Just as we're about to take off,my friend turns to me and says,'You know,I've always be sure that I'm gonna die in a plane crash.'

This in itself would be bad enough,but I'm on a flight with him to Chicago in August!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Not really weird or disturbing but was on a flight from DUB - IST just before christmas in biz class. The rest of biz class was full of chinese diplomats as it was just after the Chinese vice presidents visit. The plane hadn't even pushed back before one of them was laying down all three seats asleep. None of them understood (or wanted to understand) english so the flight attendant had a fun time trying to get him to sit back up and put his seatbelt on.

At meal time the flight attendants had such a hard time trying to ask them if they wanted a meal or anything to drink - even the universal word of 'coke?' didn't seem to register with them. Couldnt help but laugh and fortunately they saw the funny side of it also.

And the snoring!! Argghhhh, that is the one thing that gets me the most on flights:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

there was a time when I adored flying all over the place - (not so much now - I hate enduring the flights when going abroad).

I remember the "smoking cabins" on international flights - one whole section of the plane devoted to smokers. Never bothered me - didn't even enter my head about a smoldering cigarette and what damage it could cause.

If there was smoking on planes now, I don't think I would fly.

there was a time when I adored flying all over the place - (not so much now - I hate enduring the flights when going abroad).

I remember the "smoking cabins" on international flights - one whole section of the plane devoted to smokers. Never bothered me - didn't even enter my head about a smoldering cigarette and what damage it could cause.

I don't remember smoking on planes (althou when did that get banned ??? perhaps i shoudl remember).
    But I agree with you about previously enjoying flying but now finding it a chore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

smoking on planes was common up till the mid 90's - half the plane was non-smoking - then there was a curtain and the other half was smoking. Everybody used to light up after their meal. (the curtain did not hold the smoke in the smoking area but nobody seemed to mind in the non-smoking area). People would be smoking their duty free cigarette and drinking throughout the flight.

I'm of a similar opinion and how mundane and no glamorous flying has become, I try to fly business or 1st class whenever possible however more often than not I am stuck back in cattle class. The neighbor you get for the flight makes a real difference

• Advertisement
Advertisement