Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird/Disturbing things you've seen other passengers do on Flights

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Flying from the UK to Argentina the lady to my right kept humming tunes while reading and anytime she hit a song he would know the man in front of me would quietly sing it, went on for the whole flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I like to watch the entire box set of Air Crash Investigation a week before flying anywhere. You'd be amazed what that does to your mindset at 35000 feet....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Or put 911 in Plane Sight playing on your iPad.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

KoolKid wrote: »
    Or put 911 in Plane Sight playing on your iPad.;)

better still this*, http://www.thecleverest.com/countdown.swf

*don't do this on a plane you will get arrested and probably banned for flying for life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

smoking on planes was common up till the mid 90's - half the plane was non-smoking - then there was a curtain and the other half was smoking. Everybody used to light up after their meal. (the curtain did not hold the smoke in the smoking area but nobody seemed to mind in the non-smoking area).
    :pac:

I'm sure loads of people minded, but what could they do about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

why do they always have no teeth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

W0bble5 wrote: »
    Strangest thing ever flying from Dublin to Chicago. An oddball American bloke sitting next to me gave me his entire life story and was telling me how him & his girlfriend broke up, he’s moving home from Ireland & he kidnapped the dog & has him in the cargo hold on the plane.

Then he tried to diagnose me as having ADHD (probably not too far off cos I was pissed - I hate flying) and gave me tablets to take for ADHD.....eh, no thanks total stranger...... :confused::confused:

One of the most stupid things I’ve seen on a flight was one of my mates who is a complete liability when he’s drinking decided to go for a smoke on the plane. Got a serious warning off the air stewards and sat back down very sheepishly. After another load of duty free vodka he decided to set napkins on fire at his seat. Total tool. The smell of smoke in the plane was really strong & loads of people panicked thinking the plane was on fire & going to crash. Kids crying, air stewards looking for a fire, the lot.

One of the lads leaned behind him, cracked him with a dig on the jaw & knocked him out. We had to wake him when the plane landed! He was on his best behaviour on the flight home!!

If you had called over a stewardess and said 'please don't disturb my friend, he's dead tired' like Arnie in Commando you would be my all time hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Once sat beside a very serious looking chap with very straight face and stare.
    On numerous occasions, a hostess passed with her back to aisle he flung a pistachio nut and hit her in back of head.
    She would invariably twist around and he kept this straight face looking ahead.
    She just wouldn't accuse him.............
    Bizzar but brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Didn't happen to me, but to my mom's best friend. She was working as a nurse in Africa for most of the 70s, for the most part in Kenia.
    She had been home to visit, and was on her way back. She got onto the plane to Nairobi in Paris and it was the usual chaos.
    The stewardesses eventually got people into their seats, and before too long, the plane takes off.
    About an hour or so into the flight, there are some odd noises form some overhead bins.
    At first my mom'sfriend thinks nothing off it, but soon enough the noises are getting louder and more intese. Other people started noticing it, too.
    Eventually, one of the stewardesses decides to check up on it.
    She opens the overhead bin, and out burst two live, confused and highly aggavated chickens. All of a sudden, all hell breaks lose in the plane, people shouting, stewardesses chasing the chickens, chickens running for dear life, people straining to get a better look at the circus...

My mom's friend maintains that this was the most entertaining flight she's ever been on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

[I wonder was Gerard Depardedieu charged with anything when he pissed all over the plane?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

mishkalucy wrote: »
    On an internal flight from Bangkok to Samui some years ago on one of those tiny propeller planes, packed with Thai's.
    As soon as the plane takes off everyone takes out what looks to be a full Thai meal and starts eating.
    Turns out we were on a lunchtime flight and this was just like taking the bus for them :D

I've been on that flight, landing in the hut of an airport at samui was gas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

On a flight from Abu Dhabi to Kuala Lumpur. Before the flight takes off they spray this non-toxic pesticide to kill any bugs. The thing is completely odorless and non-toxic.

Some woman a few rows ahead started pretending to have an asthma attack. At first the flight attendants were worried but after a few minutes pretty much everyone on the plane could tell she was faking, completely forcing the coughs. All the flights attendants smiling at each other and laughing. Anyway they have to get her examined by a doctor by law so we miss our take off time. Doctor confirms there is absolutely nothing wrong with her, while she continues to force out these ridiculous cartoon coughs.

After a while the doctor loses his patience and tells her she'll have to get off the plane. The coughing stops immediately and she insists she is fine. But unfortunately for her she'd pissed off the pilots and flight attendants so much by delaying us that they forced her and her family to get off the plane. The whole way off the plane she was screaming her lungs off, not a hint of a cough. We nearly missed our connecting flight from KL because of her delaying us for like 3 hours.

To this day I'm still not sure what she was trying to achieve. Did she really need attention that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭spuddy90

Flying from Sydney Bangkok a woman sitting with her 2 kids, 1 about 8 months old the other about 5. Woman decides to go to toilet, meanwhile the 8 month old baby who was left in its seat with its 5 year old brother went to the toilet in seat! Baby crying and crying, I thought the mother would be back soon to take are of the baby! Mother didn't arrive back to her seat for 45 minutes! Baby crying none stop and the other running up and down the aisle screaming! I'll never forget it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    If anyone has flown in or around Africa, you've probably noticed how there is always about 10 Africans that sit whereever they want and the person assigned to the seat comes along, they need to explain how the seating works.
    It seems it's not just in Africa that you experience this, I've encountered several Irish people who don't understand this either.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Frisbee wrote: »
    On a flight from Abu Dhabi to Kuala Lumpur. Before the flight takes off they spray this non-toxic pesticide to kill any bugs. The thing is completely odorless and non-toxic.

Some woman a few rows ahead started pretending to have an asthma attack. At first the flight attendants were worried but after a few minutes pretty much everyone on the plane could tell she was faking, completely forcing the coughs. All the flights attendants smiling at each other and laughing. Anyway they have to get her examined by a doctor by law so we miss our take off time. Doctor confirms there is absolutely nothing wrong with her, while she continues to force out these ridiculous cartoon coughs.

After a while the doctor loses his patience and tells her she'll have to get off the plane. The coughing stops immediately and she insists she is fine. But unfortunately for her she'd pissed off the pilots and flight attendants so much by delaying us that they forced her and her family to get off the plane. The whole way off the plane she was screaming her lungs off, not a hint of a cough. We nearly missed our connecting flight from KL because of her delaying us for like 3 hours.

To this day I'm still not sure what she was trying to achieve. Did she really need attention that bad?

I've seen people a few times bust out thier inhalers after they use the spray, so I think it does affect people with 'sensitive' breathing. But obvisouly not to the extend of the lady you describe, she must have been huffing glue in the airport wheelchair toilets before the flight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Some Islam or Muslim or Orthodox dude beside me on a B.A. transatlantic flight, for the entire flight way he was spinning a rosary-bead type chain around his fingers over & back, clack...clack....clack, and chanting some prayer or other. There was 8 or 9 hours of that. And he smelled of B.O.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

crazygeryy wrote: »
    not so much weird but dumb more like it.
    on a flight from north carolina to new york, taxing down the runway, the lights in the cabin went off(as they do) and then the plane took off into the air and we were at a steep incline as you would be taking off.if you stood up youd fall backwards it was that steep,anyway all of a sudden this woman across from me starts waving her hands in the air and shouting for a stewardess.

i thought oh jesus shes having a heart attack or something.the stewardess who had been buckled in her own chair ran down the isle and the stupid bitch says "i cant find my reading light".

On a Dub - Liverpool flight when Ryanair first started the cheap football specials. Fri pm and flight was delayed several times which meant more time in the bar for the lager louts. So the plane took off and was on the steep incline. As it left the ground, one of the pissed passengers figured it was ok to go to the toilet. So he started to walk up the steep slope of the aisle, leaning forward like he was going up a hill. The attendant spotted him and charged down the aisle to put him back in his place. But she gathered momentum as she got closer, could not stop and clattered into him head first in a perfectly executed rugby tackle. Made it funnier as she was lying on top of him on the aisle and seemed to take ages to get off him as they were head first on a down slope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Boarding a plane about 4 weeks ago we could see into the cockpit and the captain was smoking a cigarette!!!

No long after the London bombings and I was coming back from uk and at take off 3 Muslim men took out a book and pray considerably loud. I really thought that was it. Crapped my pants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

My Sister and boyfriend were on a flight about two years ago heading home from Spain. My sis was at the window seat and quickly went to sleep. Her boyfriend was in the middle and an old woman was in the aisle seat.

He said he was watching the in flight movie and the woman beside him started to dose off, About twenty minutes later he felt a hand on his leg, he looked down and it was the woman rubbing his leg while asleep.

He moved her hand away and carried on watching the film this happened again and he was getting really embaressed as he is fairly shy and she was really old.

He finally woke my sister when the woman tried to put her hand down his shorts to grab his bits! He was so embaressed and my sister was in absolute tears laughing at him. Eventually the woman woke up and said "oh sorry I thought you were my husband".

We still give him abuse to this day haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

About 1998, was only a kid, coming back from the US via Heathrow to home (must have been cheaper), there were two Muslim lads on the ground having an oul kneeled pray in that wide service part seperating economy and first class :eek: I reckon since 9/11 no Muslim would have the balls to ask for permission to do this. Even if they did have staff permission, on a transatlantic flight I am fairly sure on seeing this at least one yank passenger on his way to the jacks would go into Flight 93 mode and promptly kick the head off them.

Saying all that I have to wonder if they asked the hostesses to check exatly which way was the direction east for Mecca!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Saying all that I have to wonder if they asked the hostesses to check exatly which way was the direction east for Mecca!

No real need to ask the flight attendants as travel prayer mats have a built-in compass and the manual would tell you the exact orientation to face Mecca, prayer times, distance,etc. These days they have Qibla apps that serve the same function.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

:pac:

I'm sure loads of people minded, but what could they do about it?

no don't think so. There wasn't that hysterical attitude to everything back then. People just picked the smoking/non smoking areas and that was that. Never heard one complaint in all my time traveling on the non smoking dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 oneway2

In the late 80s I did a lot of flying in and around … well let’s say it wasn’t between Dublin and Heathrow…
    Highlights included:

Guy beside me fiddling with a walking stick and then KLUNK, the bottom part of the walking stick falls off: IT’S A SWORD-STICK, you know, a sword hidden inside a walking stick. He fumbles and tries to put the sword back inside the walking stick
    …I pretend to be asleep…

Another one...

Get upgraded to business class, all good, then a guy side beside me WITH A HAWK ON HIS ARM. A very nice hawk, a very well behaved hawk, a hawk with the head cover, so it’s calm, BUT A HAWK.

However, all-in-all the hawk was much better behaved than a lot of passenger’s I’ve flown with...
    …I pretend to be asleep…

Still can't forget this one...
    Just got to my seat on the 04:00AM flight from the capital to the old administrative city, the doors were about to be closed. Steward walks slowly down the plane, carefully instructs everyone to tighten their seatbelts. He then gives the thumbs-up to the front of the plane AND A GUY IN HAND AND LEG SCHACKLES CARRYING A BALL AND CHAIN gets on and walks to the back of the plane. A real ball and chain, like in the cartoons, but not funny in any way at all. You could hear the clunk cluck of the ball-and-chain. It was an internal flight so the IATA rules about passengers being unshackled on planes doesn’t apply (for fans of Lost). I expect he only had a one-way ticket.
    …I pretend to be asleep…

But the worst of the worst….

In the middle of the celtic tiger I used to fly a bit between Dublin and Geneva, back when someone had money. Always the same: Air France from Geneva to Paris (CDG) and then the 21:00 AF/CityJet from Paris to Dublin.

In the summer there was always one, two or god help us, three little princesses on the Paris plane.

They’ve been on the day package to Disney and they’re now on the way home in their pink princess dress with mummy and daddy. They’ve all been up since 04:30 that morning and little Brittany has been filling up with Coke and mainlining sugar for about 16 hours non-stop.

You sit down hoping for a kip, but you know you’ve only 10 minutes before the howling and crying and puking starts.

Give me a sword-carrying warlord, a hawk-holding tribal leader or a guy on his last flight ever (heading into his last sunset ever)… anything, anything but these three princesses …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Riamfada wrote: »
    My usual flight routine consists of me panicing and telling my travelling partner "we are going to die ... we are going to die ... why are all these people so okay knowing that they are going to die ... can you hear that flaps retracting, they shouldnt be retracting we are going to die .... the engine sounds like its struggling we are going to die .... "

Im a joy to travel with.

I do that too I'm afraid. My co-pilot finds it very irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    What I like to do is to get the knees in place early so that they can't even start reclining - hold the seat upright , they give up, thinking that the seat is broken somehow and then don't try again for the rest of the flight...;)

And it's usually men who put the seat back... Hmm, like two inches makes a difference:rolleyes:

The trick is to go "jaysus! me knees" the minute the seat begins to move back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

I like to cross my legs and kick, kick, kick, every 15 seconds or so

SO rude putting your seat back on a flight- would never do it myself

yer paying for the seat, and that is putting the seat back if you wish, especially on a long haul flight, ya just cant be upright for 12 hours straight!! :D

spuddy90 wrote: »
    yer paying for the seat, and that is putting the seat back if you wish, especially on a long haul flight, ya just cant be upright for 12 hours straight!! :D

so ignorant, you must be huge

• Advertisement

ah id be big enough ye 5 foot 6 , 11.5 stone!!! to be fair its the only way to get comfortable and sllep long haul, the only thing i find rude is when the meals come out and the person in front still wont put the seat up!! thats a pain in the hole

ah id be big enough ye 5 foot 6 , 11.5 stone!!! to be fair its the only way to get comfortable and sllep long haul, the only thing i find rude is when the meals come out and the person in front still wont put the seat up!! thats a pain in the hole

you reap what you sow darling

Pantsface wrote: »
    you reap what you sow darling

maybe but i understand if you pay around 1000 euro on flights you should be entitled to let the seat back, i have no problem with it at all,, maybe because im not to tall even when the person in front lets seat back,, its still not to uncomfortable for me!! :p

maybe but i understand if you pay around 1000 euro on flights you should be entitled to let the seat back, i have no problem with it at all,, maybe because im not to tall even when the person in front lets seat back,, its still not to uncomfortable for me!! :p

i hate you :mad::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Passenger ate an entire pack of pistachio nuts on the plane and put the empty shells everywhere.

When he was finished he picked up the shells and sucked them :confused:

I thought I was the only one who did that lol :pac::pac:

Anyhoos on a flight to the US one time..announcement comes across that a passenger left a small bag with all their insulin in the toilet and when they went back it was gone!! It was handed back in about 10 mins later but what a sh1tty thing to do - rob someone's medicine and then look like a w@nker handing it in!?

Flight back - most irritating d1ck heads in front of us didn't get a seat for their little brat. They left him on the floor ..next the guy is calling the steward "excuse me - my son was playing on the floor here and has pulled out some wires" everyone was :eek::mad:::eek: They spent the rest of the flight arguing over who's turn it was to try and restrain the howling kid on their laps :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

there was a friend of a friend told us this story...worst fecking nightmare.

he had his leg in a cast and was flying to somewhere in europe. had food in the airport. got on the plane and felt sick. suddenly realised he had a right dose of the craps...had to run with a cast to the toilet, barely got the pants down when he realised the only way to sit with a cast was to open the door and he had to always pick the opposite toilet to his leg break.

could not close the door on the toilet had to have his leg in the cast on the outside.....it was like that every 15-20 minutes for the first hour or so before it calmed down.

not pretty sight for the front couple of rows...LOL

i was flying back about 5 -6 weeks after 9-11 from san fran. it seems strange now but everyone was nervous and i mean really nervous. i think there were maybe 50 people on the plane. (still would not let us sit in business the bastards).

out of no where this middle eastern looking guy (relax with your pc crap, it was just after 9-11, spare me your offended horror) with a briefcase gets on. he is sweating profusely, his suit is soaked. he sits in the seat about 2 rows in front and starts mumbling and rocking in his seat while grasping the briefcase. i was not alone, about 5 guys close to me all looked at each other, we were ready to kick seven shades of **** out of this guy if he moved. the air hostess kept looking at him. just as the door was about to close, he fukcing pops up, and runs out. first thing i checked was did he leave his briefcase. the air hostess had to go get him. 2 minutes later, he returns and starts rocking again. all i can say between the 5 guys and the air hostess he was really starting to freak people out. suddenly i saw a virgin mary prayer thingy then he wheels out the bible and while rocking starts mumbling to himself verses, . jesus i was never so delighted to see it. turns out this guy hates flying...okay not just hates...he gets totally freaked out. when the door closed he had to go out for air. poor guy never realised how close to getting thumped by everyone around him. i think the air hostess gave him about 50 fecking tablets to get him to sleep.

about 2 year ago i was on a plane when (i am guessing) a chinese national was been escorted home. he was in handcuffs and had 2 guys sitting with him. just before the plane was due to take off (just before the door was due to close), he starts a scuffle with the chinese police dudes. its sort of fisticuffs and then they wrestle him to the floor. the captain comes back and tells them to get off the plane. always wondered what happened that guy.

the last one was flying back from india and the guy beside me is sitting in what i can only describe as a rubber boat (think kids boat for the seaside). no i am not making it up. im thinking i have 11 freaking hours beside this nutter so i did the usual irish thing of chatting in the hope that he would not go all psycho during the flight. turns out his wife bought him this bed thing for flying on the tv or shopping channel. so you sit in it and then inflate it slightly. so he proceeds to start blowing it up so its a couple of inches off the seat. god knows what the people in the row behind thought. i am watching this guy inflate what looks like a blue life raft. he was due to fly to chicago (i think). he swore by it. it must work,he fell asleep on the night flight as we took off and woke up in amsterdam...slept the whole way. had to watch 11 hours of fuking dancing movies from india....that was hellish...only marginally better than watching jaws the movie in pakistani...desperate times call for desperate measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

not really disturbing but pretty funny...

Me and my family we flying from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia to London in January 2002 (note the date). I was an impressionable 10 year old and extremely aware of the concept of Jihad after the 9/11 attacks. Anyway, we were comfortably seated on the plane when one of the last passengers boards, about 2 rows in front of us. It was a middle-aged Saudi man who was the archetypal islamic fascist: full length tawb, picnic mat headgear, beard down to his nipples etc. I kacked myself immediately when I saw him, envisioning an explosion at 50,000 feet as part of the next installment of the islamic crusade.

It was a long flight, and I had never before nor have I since been so transfixed by a single individual. I tried to bring issue of Osama Bin Laden II to my parents but they were comatose for nearly the entire flight and laughed off my trivial contrivances in between episodes of their sleepy stupour. To cut what seemed like an eternity short and having weighed up all possible outcomes as to how he would execute his attack, I finally saw him rise. It was towards the end of the flight and he was making for the toilet with his carry on bag. That's it, one of my conjectures was materialising; he was going to assemble a homemade explosive in the jacks and detonate it there and then. My eyes welled up with tears as I contemplated my remaining seconds of life. Then something clicked.

I was filled with a consumate rage and let out a primal scream (was probably more like a squeal considering my balls hadn't dropped) and made straight for the cubicle he was occupying. I rammed into it repeatley shouting something to the effect: 'I'm not going down without a fight you c*cksucker' ( I had a precocious talent for swearing from a young age which i'll blame my father for)
    By this stage I was in floods of tears and felt utterly helpless, until the man opened the door. I was flabbergasted. In the most refined east-Anglian accent imaginable he asked: 'What's the matter young chap' This accent somehow reassured me and I explained my predicament as to believing him to be a mass murderer. He didn't know what to make of a balling kid but escourted me back to my seat and started chatting away to me for the remainder of the flight. He turned out to be extremely kind, and since that day I have let my head take precedence over my heart. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,501 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Flying from Sydney Bangkok a woman sitting with her 2 kids, 1 about 8 months old the other about 5. Woman decides to go to toilet, meanwhile the 8 month old baby who was left in its seat with its 5 year old brother went to the toilet in seat! Baby crying and crying, I thought the mother would be back soon to take are of the baby! Mother didn't arrive back to her seat for 45 minutes! Baby crying none stop and the other running up and down the aisle screaming! I'll never forget it!

Sounds like the mother had the perfect idea. :)
    About 1998, was only a kid, coming back from the US via Heathrow to home (must have been cheaper), there were two Muslim lads on the ground having an oul kneeled pray in that wide service part seperating economy and first class :eek: I reckon since 9/11 no Muslim would have the balls to ask for permission to do this. Even if they did have staff permission, on a transatlantic flight I am fairly sure on seeing this at least one yank passenger on his way to the jacks would go into Flight 93 mode and promptly kick the head off them.
    I've only seen it since then. One guy quietly praying at the back of the plane.

Discretion is the better part of valour and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Africa wrote: »
    Seen it all before but....

*clipped out youtube vid

And finish with... Jazz Hands! Great vid :D

Reminded me of another. My mate and me were going to Germany a few years ago, and we ended up sitting next to a woman with Tourettes. Id never seen anyone with Tourettes before, and we'd been drinking all the night before and drinking in the pub in the airport too so we were hammered. She mad a pop noise and rolled her eyes up to 10 oclock every so often. But, she was quite cool, she acknowledged it and let us laugh, cause you know, we were bombed at that stage (dont say bomb on a plane...). We had bought a bottle of wine in the duty free to drink on the plane too (as you do at that drunken stage!) and the stewardess said were werent allowed drink it, only RyanAir approved alcohol. PFFFT to that. We opened it and drank it, and shared it with the tourettes woman, having a laugh between the 3 of ourselves over her being such a cnut, as she really just wasnt nice. Was actually one of the most entertaining flights Ive ever been on!
    god yis sound mad altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Arterialspray

People clapping when a flight lands is pretty weird, IMO.

Just hope the pilot isn't doing the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I once sat beside a lady on a Shannon - Boston flight who, just before putting seatbelt on, reached under her tee-shirt and took her bra off , then opened the button and zip of her jeans and wriggled the jeans down her hips a bit, looked at me and said *I get SO bloated on flights* .....

not disturbing just a bit eewww

Nice....On a flight from Hong Kong to Frankfurt, woman opposite me boarded wearing the full on power suit , serious executive type stuff..

It was a night flight , so shortly after we take off she disappears to the toilets and comes back wearing fluffy jammies with bunnies on them , slips on the eye-mask and goes to sleep. When we arrived in Frankfurt she got back into the power suit.... Just very weird...

Not that weird.
    She probably came straight from the office and had to straight to a meeting when off the plane so didn't want to sleep in the suit

• event wrote: »
    Not that weird.
    She probably came straight from the office and had to straight to a meeting when off the plane so didn't want to sleep in the suit

I agree. It's more weird that someone found that weird. Loads of people travel for work and don't get to go and change before they get to the office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Not weird or disturbing but plane related, i was flying out of shannon and i overheard a girl in front of me ask her friend if the reason they had the lights on the runway was because it was christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

When people sit down and immediately recline their seats to the max and into my knees I like to play a game.

I call it 'How far into their back can I put my knee?'
    :D

I always carry two small pieces of rope with me so I can tie the seats together (like in this video: http://fffff.at/how-to-keep-motherfus-from-putting-their-seats-back/ ) and then I hide the strings of rope in the pockets where the magazines are kept so no one can notice it. They always just assume the seats are broken. I was only caught doing this once but that was when the plane had landed and we were waiting to get off and I untied the ropes a little too early and the man in front figured out what I was up to. He was pissed off but it was at the end of the flight so I didn't care. I just ingored him & got off the plane and then he kept glaring & pointing at me in the baggage reclaim area. lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

My horrible experience was with Delta Airlines from Atlanta to Shannon. There had been a fair few tornado warnings and all round bad weather in Atlanta that week. Our flight was delayed a few hours and then they just decided to let us board the plane. While in the plane there was still a delay so they put the big screens down and we were there watching the news with weather.

Sure it was all doom and gloom and everyone was expecting we would be soon leaving the plane but all of a sudden you hear the flight attendant announcing that were preparing to leave. I think 99% of the people on the plane wanted to get off the plane when they heard that announcement. It was really crazy outside.

Lots of Turbulance on take off and I remember lots of tears and people writing notes to loved ones. To be honest though after 15mins or thereabouts we were well above the clouds and it was the most easy going flight ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Flying out on Sunday, I'd love to be sitting next to a nervous flyer :D I would reaquaint them with the laws of aerodynamic, and cite cases of crashes, before plugging in my headphones. I love being a Skeptic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Flying out on Sunday, I'd love to be sitting next to a nervous flyer :D I would reaquaint them with the laws of aerodynamic, and cite cases of crashes, before plugging in my headphones. I love being a Skeptic.

i hate flying and if i was sitting next to you this sunday and you started that id kick you in the gonads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Slightly OT here, but weird nonetheless.

When I was 16 my dancing teacher took me to a dancing competition in London. We were flying Ryanair, from Dublin to Heathrow.

We got through check in and security, and when we were settled after the plane took off, she asked me for my passport, so she could mind it.

She opened it and it was my then 37yr old mothers passport. Aged 16, Ryanair let me on a flight with a passport belonging to someone more than 20yrs older than me. My mom's passport has her maiden name on it, so my ticket had a different first and last name to those on the passport. Says a lot about Ryanair, really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Says more about Dublin security to be honest

Ryanair do a quick check at the gate but it's DAA or back then Aer Rianta who are to blame there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    I always carry two small pieces of rope with me so I can tie the seats together (like in this video: http://fffff.at/how-to-keep-motherfus-from-putting-their-seats-back/ ) and then I hide the strings of rope in the pockets where the magazines are kept so no one can notice it. They always just assume the seats are broken. I was only caught doing this once but that was when the plane had landed and we were waiting to get off and I untied the ropes a little too early and the man in front figured out what I was up to. He was pissed off but it was at the end of the flight so I didn't care. I just ingored him & got off the plane and then he kept glaring & pointing at me in the baggage reclaim area. lol.

Thats a bit of an asshole thing to do.
    You each paid for the seat, let the person in front lean back if they want.

Get up and relocate or suck it up and pay for first class.

Advertisement