Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird/Disturbing things you've seen other passengers do on Flights

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Two little girls knitting!:confused:
    I think that was the first time I saw a kid that age not glued to a DS while travelling. It was weird.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    When I was in Africa flying with some sh1tty domestic airline people clapped when the plane took off.

With good reason to be honest on an African domestic airline...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

not really disturbing but pretty funny...

Me and my family we flying from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia to London in January 2002 (note the date). I was an impressionable 10 year old and extremely aware of the concept of Jihad after the 9/11 attacks. Anyway, we were comfortably seated on the plane when one of the last passengers boards, about 2 rows in front of us. It was a middle-aged Saudi man who was the archetypal islamic fascist: full length tawb, picnic mat headgear, beard down to his nipples etc. I kacked myself immediately when I saw him, envisioning an explosion at 50,000 feet as part of the next installment of the islamic crusade.

It was a long flight, and I had never before nor have I since been so transfixed by a single individual. I tried to bring issue of Osama Bin Laden II to my parents but they were comatose for nearly the entire flight and laughed off my trivial contrivances in between episodes of their sleepy stupour. To cut what seemed like an eternity short and having weighed up all possible outcomes as to how he would execute his attack, I finally saw him rise. It was towards the end of the flight and he was making for the toilet with his carry on bag. That's it, one of my conjectures was materialising; he was going to assemble a homemade explosive in the jacks and detonate it there and then. My eyes welled up with tears as I contemplated my remaining seconds of life. Then something clicked.

I was filled with a consumate rage and let out a primal scream (was probably more like a squeal considering my balls hadn't dropped) and made straight for the cubicle he was occupying. I rammed into it repeatley shouting something to the effect: 'I'm not going down without a fight you c*cksucker' ( I had a precocious talent for swearing from a young age which i'll blame my father for)
    By this stage I was in floods of tears and felt utterly helpless, until the man opened the door. I was flabbergasted. In the most refined east-Anglian accent imaginable he asked: 'What's the matter young chap' This accent somehow reassured me and I explained my predicament as to believing him to be a mass murderer. He didn't know what to make of a balling kid but escourted me back to my seat and started chatting away to me for the remainder of the flight. He turned out to be extremely kind, and since that day I have let my head take precedence over my heart. :rolleyes:

Ye right:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

WhiteRoses wrote:
    When I was 16 my dancing teacher took me to a dancing competition in London. We were flying Ryanair, from Dublin to Heathrow.
    Ryanair do not use Heathrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Was on a flight to Madrid sitting 3 rows from the front. Everyone had boarded and last passengers to get on was a guy in a wheelchair and 2 people with him. He obviously needed to the seats at the front of the plane and the steward asked a man and his wife who were sitting in the front row if they would mind moving. The guy went nuts how dare they ask him to move he had asked for front row for extra legroom. He then refused to move and was loudly giving out in his plummy accent about how he knew he should have never decided to fly with a budget airline and that he would be making a written complaint. Meanwhile guy in the wheelchair is clearly getting embarrassed and says to steward not to worry he will get his 2 companions to carry him down to a free seat. I was getting the mads at this stage as I could hear everything that was going on meanwhile Mr posh was stil ranting that this was a disgrace and the airline was clearly incompetent as they had give his seats to someone else. I leaned forward and said loudly to him dont be such a jackass just move will you ,at which stage about 5 others joined in shouting move move move! His wife had the decency to look embarrassed and grabbed her husband to move. He eventually did move to the sound of applause from the front of the plane.
    Twat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

shar01 wrote: »
    And it's usually men who put the seat back... Hmm, like two inches makes a difference:rolleyes:

Ask any man - of course two inches makes a difference. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Slightly OT here, but weird nonetheless.

When I was 16 my dancing teacher took me to a dancing competition in London. We were flying Ryanair, from Dublin to Heathrow.

We got through check in and security, and when we were settled after the plane took off, she asked me for my passport, so she could mind it.

She opened it and it was my then 37yr old mothers passport. Aged 16, Ryanair let me on a flight with a passport belonging to someone more than 20yrs older than me. My mom's passport has her maiden name on it, so my ticket had a different first and last name to those on the passport. Says a lot about Ryanair, really!

Derren Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Was on a flight to Madrid sitting 3 rows from the front. Everyone had boarded and last passengers to get on was a guy in a wheelchair and 2 people with him. He obviously needed to the seats at the front of the plane and the steward asked a man and his wife who were sitting in the front row if they would mind moving. The guy went nuts how dare they ask him to move he had asked for front row for extra legroom. He then refused to move and was loudly giving out in his plummy accent about how he knew he should have never decided to fly with a budget airline and that he would be making a written complaint. Meanwhile guy in the wheelchair is clearly getting embarrassed and says to steward not to worry he will get his 2 companions to carry him down to a free seat. I was getting the mads at this stage as I could hear everything that was going on meanwhile Mr posh was stil ranting that this was a disgrace and the airline was clearly incompetent as they had give his seats to someone else. I leaned forward and said loudly to him dont be such a jackass just move will you ,at which stage about 5 others joined in shouting move move move! His wife had the decency to look embarrassed and grabbed her husband to move. He eventually did move to the sound of applause from the front of the plane.
    Twat

Good man yourself, well done:) poor guy in the wheelchair..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Noah and Ebony

Put gel in his hair

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Slightly OT here, but weird nonetheless.

We got through check in and security, and when we were settled after the plane took off, she asked me for my passport, so she could mind it.

She opened it and it was my then 37yr old mothers passport. Aged 16, Ryanair let me on a flight with a passport belonging to someone more than 20yrs older than me. My mom's passport has her maiden name on it, so my ticket had a different first and last name to those on the passport. Says a lot about Ryanair, really!

Something similiar happened to one of my mates a few years ago. A gang of us were going to Paris for a few days, she discovers that morning that her passport was out of date by 2 days (I know :rolleyes:). Anyway, she decided to chance it and see, as she had done so much organising for this trip (apart from one of the most important things). She got through all the security checks in Dublin and we flew to Paris.. As soon as we landed, the French nabbed her when they saw her passport and she had to fly straight home.
    Nice day out for her though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Was more funny than weird, but saw a guy get really annoyed and ranting as people got on the plane.

Basically, the gate number was the same as a seat number ie 24D and from the sounds of it, loads of people had told him he was in their seat. He lost it at one person, and started yelling "NO! THIS IS MY SEAT!!! THATS THE GATE NUMBER!!!"

I just started laughing, lol can only imagine how many people had told him to move.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Anyone wrote: »
    Was more funny than weird, but saw a guy get really annoyed and ranting as people got on the plane.

Basically, the gate number was the same as a seat number ie 24D and from the sounds of it, loads of people had told him he was in their seat. He lost it at one person, and started yelling "NO! THIS IS MY SEAT!!! THATS THE GATE NUMBER!!!"

I just started laughing, lol can only imagine how many people had told him to move.

What is it with People and Seat numbers???

They stop at row 4 or something and stare intently at the seat number above their head and then back to their ticket for about 2 minutes.

Their ticket says 38F or something obviously at the back.

THEN , they move to row 6 , Stop , Stare at the ticket again ..This gets repeated the whole way down the plane.

I know some airlines skips row numbers in planes and what not , but seriously.

How hard is it to work out where you might be sitting...??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

...SNIP

The guy went nuts how dare they ask him to move he had asked for front row for extra legroom. He then refused to move and was loudly giving out in his plummy accent about how he knew he should have never decided to fly with a budget airline and that he would be making a written complaint....

SNIP

Had a similar experience a few years back on an internal flight in the US.

I was sitting in the 1st row on the aisle - Had gotten an upgrade to business class which was nice...

Sitting immediately behind me were a couple with a very small baby , under 6 months old. Opposite them was a woman in her 50's, clearly very well-off along with what turned out to be her 19/20 yr old daughter.

As we were taxiing for take-off the baby was a bit unsettled - Not screaming or anything , just didn't want to sit still..the odd grunt etc. (screaming kids on flights are not cool , but this wasn't like that at all).

Anyway the lady across from them starts shouting at the couple "Children aren't allowed in business class , make that child be quiet or I'll have you moved"

Initially, they just ignored her and continued to try to soothe the baby and what not , but she was just getting louder and louder shouting at them.. The daughter was clearly embarrassed (I could hear her saying "MUM , leave it!!" under her breath).

The Flight attendant then became aware of the disturbance, she was sitting in the jump seat outside the flight deck door so I was looking right at her.

The flight was now airborne but still in a steep climb , but the woman was still screaming about how children were not allowed in 1st Class and that they'd have to move.. At this stage , the guy had lost patience and just told the woman to go F$%k herself...It then really kicked off

As soon as the flight levelled off , the flight attendant jumped up and stood over all 4 of them and said " If I hear another word out of ANY of you I will call ahead to our destination and have the authorities waiting to arrest you all for an in-flight disturbance"
    Both parties started the "but he said!" , "but she said!" - Attendant cut them-off and just shouted "Not Another WORD!!" and went back to sit down.

Attendant then didn't speak to the Woman for the rest of the flight , no in-flight meal, no nothing..Anytime she tried to speak she'd just get the "Not Another WORD!!" from the attendant

What was even funnier was the fact that I could hear the woman and the guy with the baby stage whispering things like "Trailer trash flying in 1st, what has the world come to?" or "No points for guessing why there's no husband travelling with her!" all through the flight. With the guys wife and the womans daughter both dying of embarrassment trying to get them to just shut up and move on...

Oh and the baby settled down to sleep for the whole flight about 5 minutes after we took-off so if the dumb bint had just waited a little while all the hassle would have been avoided....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Rabies wrote: »
    x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    I always carry two small pieces of rope with me so I can tie the seats together (like in this video: http://fffff.at/how-to-keep-motherfus-from-putting-their-seats-back/ ) and then I hide the strings of rope in the pockets where the magazines are kept so no one can notice it. They always just assume the seats are broken. I was only caught doing this once but that was when the plane had landed and we were waiting to get off and I untied the ropes a little too early and the man in front figured out what I was up to. He was pissed off but it was at the end of the flight so I didn't care. I just ingored him & got off the plane and then he kept glaring & pointing at me in the baggage reclaim area. lol.

Thats a bi of an asshole thing to do.
    You each for the seat, let the person in front lean back if they want.

Get up and relocate or suck it up and pay for first class.

Id rarely put the seat back on a short flight but if its a long haul and I've paid the guts of a grand, Im gonna put my seat back.

Oh and if an air hostess catches you doing that you could get in a lot of trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,501 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Says more about Dublin security to be honest

Ryanair do a quick check at the gate but it's DAA or back then Aer Rianta who are to blame there
    Um, isn't it only the airline that checks your ID when leaving the country?
    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    What is it with People and Seat numbers???
    You should see the arguments in cinemas for seats 15a, 12a and PG. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Flying Manchester-Dubai I think with Gulf Air, they moved my seat last minute to near the front of the plane - not business class, just nicer seats - and then with all the free seats in that area, an off-duty air hostess sat right next to me, started talking to me etc. We got on really well that we were talking all the way (5-6 hours) and whenever we fancied anything, she would go in make tea, drinks or whatever for us and bring it back to the seat. Even after landing in Dubai, she stayed with me until my next flight's departure gate in Dubai - I got her number too, but never rang her thinking what if GulfAir had asked me to keep an eye on her thinking I am trouble?

//I know, I know, I am thick like that..!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

positron wrote: »
    Flying Manchester-Dubai I think with Gulf Air, they moved my seat last minute to near the front of the plane - not business class, just nicer seats - and then with all the free seats in that area, an off-duty air hostess sat right next to me, started talking to me etc. We got on really well that we were talking all the way (5-6 hours) and whenever we fancied anything, she would go in make tea, drinks or whatever for us and bring it back to the seat. Even after landing in Dubai, she stayed with me until my next flight's departure gate in Dubai - I got her number too, but never rang her thinking what if GulfAir had asked me to keep an eye on her thinking I am trouble?

//I know, I know, I am thick like that..!!

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

spuddy90 wrote: »
    ah id be big enough ye 5 foot 6

:confused: you're a squirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

When I went to Manchester last st. Stephens day for the match with the lads, we flew out of Shannon and we just went right through check in without our passports being looked at and just one of the etickets being seen. I thought that was kind of weird?

We kind of just fled the country:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

no don't think so. There wasn't that hysterical attitude to everything back then. People just picked the smoking/non smoking areas and that was that. Never heard one complaint in all my time traveling on the non smoking dept.

Having a smoking area on a plane, would be like having a pissing section in a swimming pool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

I was flying from Shannon to San Diego, California in 1989 or 1990. There was a stop over in Atlanta where some passenger changes happened. A young guy gets on and sits next to me heading to the west coast.

After take off he starts talking... about Assault rifles and other weapons that are not legal to purchase in California.

He then goes on about how easy it was to get around this as he went to Atlanta and purchased multiple Assault rifles, large magazine semi-auto shot guns, and other hand guns and had them shipped back to California with UPS while he flies home.

On the way to San Diego, there is another stop in Ontario just out of Los Angeles. He gets off much to my delight.

About 10 minutes two large men in suits approach me with one of their hands behind their backs. They get to my seat and two .45 Automatic pistols are pointed in my face while they both shouted a name.

I said I was not that person and gave them my passport as proof. They cursed and put their guns away.

I asked if they were looking for a guy smuggling weapons and they said yes. All I could say was that he had got of about 10 minutes ago and I gave them a description of what he was wearing.

Somehow, I don't think his great plan worked out...

• x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    I always carry two small pieces of rope with me so I can tie the seats together (like in this video: http://fffff.at/how-to-keep-motherfus-from-putting-their-seats-back/ ) and then I hide the strings of rope in the pockets where the magazines are kept so no one can notice it. They always just assume the seats are broken. I was only caught doing this once but that was when the plane had landed and we were waiting to get off and I untied the ropes a little too early and the man in front figured out what I was up to. He was pissed off but it was at the end of the flight so I didn't care. I just ingored him & got off the plane and then he kept glaring & pointing at me in the baggage reclaim area. lol.

You sound like a bully. Airline seats recline for a reason. Sure, it's annoying, but you're allowed to do it. As long as it's not during meal service, you have no right to stop another passenger reclining. They could have health issues or something or just really need to sleep. If you're that intolerant, buy a seat in first class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Haven't ever seen anything mad really, though was on a flight back from poznan Friday and some aul fella had a bit too much to drink, the air host took a bottle of vodka off him then the lad started grabbing the air host. he didn't shut up either for the whole flight felt sorry for the 2 lads he sat beside all flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Travelling back from new York to Dublin. During the bar service, the air hostess asked the American woman sitting in front of me if she would like a drink.

The woman said she wanted a water and just as the hosty was about to pour it, the American woman said, "is that fresh bottled water or is it toilet water?"

The face on the poor hostess, she was doing her best to keep the laugh in and replied, " of course, it's from the fresh springs in Tipperary. It was bottled this morning".

They have some patience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The sheer number of gob****es on my short flight today was staggerring.
    Every numpty trying to stow their bags above a different seat whilst people are still boarding and the plane was already late. One gob****e even shoulder checking me in the process as he walked like the terminator back to his seat making no allowance for anyone. Ended up with the cabin crew making announcements for people to stay in their seats cause it was delaying boarding so much:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

The worst flight of my life was from Amsterdam to Budapest where I got seated in the middle of an extremely loud American family. The father was sitting to my left, the son to my right and the mother in front of me. They spent the first twenty minutes of the flight roaring at each other about who packed what, while I silently boiled with rage. The mother then tried to recline her seat while I gave her husband daggers, he shouted for the whole plane to hear to put up the seat, I was giving him a dirty look. The son takes out a Evian facial spray can, sprays his face and offers some to me, I'm like eh no thanks? :confused: Then he takes out his ipod, starts blaring hardcore gangster rap through the headphones and rapping along, nodding his head. As soon as he did that, his mother turns in her seat, her and the father start having an extremely graphic dirty talk in very LOUD voices about what they were going to do to each other, how they were going to do it, where, etc, with their son a foot away listening to his ipod and sporadically spraying Evian on his face. All of the surrounding passengers looked extremely uncomfortable and we were all trying to block it out. They shouted to each other that maybe they could go into the bathroom and join the mile high club, when an air hostess marched over and told them to stay in their seats and shut up. Thank god! :P

My mother and my grandmother were flying out of JFK, where they saw a lot of Hasidic jews praying and chanting before the flight. They didn't think much of it and boarded the plane. When they got on, one of the babies travelling with the Jewish started crying and didn't stop for roughly 45 mins. A male air hostess asked if my mum and nana wanted anything to drink, my mum replied 'a double vodka for the baby' :eek: my nana and the guy chuckled and the Jews glared at my mum. When the baby finally stopped crying, the air hostess popped his head from around the curtain and said to my mum 'looks like that double vodka is kicking in!' Needless to say there were more dirty looks thrown in my mother's direction. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

As yet I don't have a specific weird/disturbing thing on Flights (ask me again in October) but I thought this might fit here. Flying back from Heathrow to Dublin, airport security, a hassle sometimes as it is. And it was, it was a slow moving queue the works. Get in line and throw my stuff into the bin, grand. Wait to go through the machine. Lady infront of me was of Indian origin (relavant I promise). She tried to go through still wearing her bangles. Obvs told to remove them. :eek: she was wearing what seriously looked like over 100 of those thin tinny looking bangles, ON EACH ARM. I had to fupping stand there til she got them off. Then after she stood blocking me from getting to my bin of stuff putting them all back on. FFS I nearly missed my flight waiting on this bint. WAS NOT HAPPY

Who in their right mind wears over 200 metal bangles to the airport when you KNOW you'll be going through security and a metal detector!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Boom_Bap wrote: »

There was a flight from Boston to Dublin, the ex took a sleeping tablet and streched out accross me with her legs dangling in the ailse. No problem until someone came prancing along and tripped over her legs. Lay down opn the ground motionless for a good minute. Someone was up looking for a medic on the plane. Then the fallen guy gets up and starts prancing along again like a bawse. Turns out he was sleepwalkingprancing.

Hahahaha! 'Prancing' along the isle:D Wtf?!:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

A male air hostess? is that like a male ban garda? :D

My mother and my grandmother were flying out of JFK, where they saw a lot of Hasidic jews praying and chanting before the flight. They didn't think much of it and boarded the plane. When they got on, one of the babies travelling with the Jewish started crying and didn't stop for roughly 45 mins. A male air hostess asked if my mum and nana wanted anything to drink, my mum replied 'a double vodka for the baby' :eek: my nana and the guy chuckled and the Jews glared at my mum. When the baby finally stopped crying, the air hostess popped his head from around the curtain and said to my mum 'looks like that double vodka is kicking in!' Needless to say there were more dirty looks thrown in my mother's direction. :P[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

hdowney wrote: »
    As yet I don't have a specific weird/disturbing thing on Flights (ask me again in October) but I thought this might fit here. Flying back from Heathrow to Dublin, airport security, a hassle sometimes as it is. And it was, it was a slow moving queue the works. Get in line and throw my stuff into the bin, grand. Wait to go through the machine. Lady infront of me was of Indian origin (relavant I promise). She tried to go through still wearing her bangles. Obvs told to remove them. :eek: she was wearing what seriously looked like over 100 of those thin tinny looking bangles, ON EACH ARM. I had to fupping stand there til she got them off. Then after she stood blocking me from getting to my bin of stuff putting them all back on. FFS I nearly missed my flight waiting on this bint. WAS NOT HAPPY

Who in their right mind wears over 200 metal bangles to the airport when you KNOW you'll be going through security and a metal detector!

Reminded me of this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzcBDXyJO_w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

On flight from Luton to Paris few years ago for Henry handball game on morning of game itself.

Anyway as we approached Paris you could get whiff of smell that was pretty horrific. We noticed few lads who were all giggling away and mocking their mate who was asleep.

Turns out he actually shat himself and it was all over his trousers. Was horrific site, but was funny watching him having go through customs etc and been checked out.

Poor lad, apparently he had been drinking in bar all night before flight.

About as bad as what I have seen. Bar the poor people who sweat and roar at fear of flying etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

1ZRed wrote: »
    When I went to Manchester last st. Stephens day for the match with the lads, we flew out of Shannon and we just went right through check in without our passports being looked at and just one of the etickets being seen. I thought that was kind of weird?

We kind of just fled the country:confused:

Do you mean in Shannon this happened or Manchester?

UK airports consider people flying in from Ireland as being domestic passengers (terms of the 1949 Ireland Act, I believe) so at most UK airports you don't need to show your passport when you land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Do you mean in Shannon this happened or Manchester?

UK airports consider people flying in from Ireland as being domestic passengers (terms of the 1949 Ireland Act, I believe) so at most UK airports you don't need to show your passport when you land.

Don't think so - we're not part of Shengan Space.

I was on a Ryanair flight from Dublin to Bristol a few months ago for a football match. I'm on the window seat and there's a woman with her five year old son on the toehr two seats of the row.

Twenty minutes into the flight I turn round and this woman has her shirt open breast-feeding her five year old.

I know this is the 21st century and I'm supposed to be cool with that but I'm not. Sorry. You're practically sitting on top of eachother on those flights and really could the five year old not have waited another half an hour for his mid-morning snack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

I know this is the 21st century and I'm supposed to be cool with that but I'm not. Sorry. You're practically sitting on top of eachother on those flights and really could the five year old not have waited another half an hour for his mid-morning snack?

Can you not just look away - you have a window seat after all.

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Don't think so - we're not part of Shengan Space.

We're not but the UK and Ireland share a common travel area. Some UK airports do ask to see passports (Heathrow certainly) but I think that's down to the logistics of how the airport handles where the passengers are routed when they get off the plane. I flew into Luton yesterday and didn't show my passport, I've only ever had to show it a couple of times at Stansted, never at City, never at Southend, never at Bristol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area

positron wrote: »
    Can you not just look away - you have a window seat after all.

I did, honest. Trouble was that I didn't know when they were done so occasionally I'd turn round to see if it was safe. It wasn't.

I appreciate that msot people would consider that I'm the one in the wrong on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Worst flight of my life was when the band I was in was ferried from Cape Town to Pretoria by the South African Air Force. It wasn't the fault of people - the plane was mostly empty - just the fact that it was an old DC-7 with wheezy engines that seemed to have trouble staying level in flight. The nose was going up ... down ... up ... down ... up ... down ... everyone on the plane, without exception, had lost their lunch by the time we were halfway there. Urgh.

But when it comes to people, the worst has to be a flight I took from Toronto to Edmonton in Canada on the now-defunct Canada 3000 low cost airline. I got the last seat on the plane, literally: I was on standby and had originally said I was going to Calgary, but the first stop was Edmonton and the last seat was only available to there. I had no fixed plans, nothing booked, so I grabbed it. The seat was in the middle of a row (of course) on a cramped 757.

On one side I had an old guy who smelled awful, and on the other side was a fat young guy who spent the whole flight playing one of those pocket electronic dice games - Craps, I think it was. The whole way, literally, except for takeoff and landing when he had to put it away. It was like watching a lab rat pushing buttons that stimulated his brain. Had the plane flipped over and gone screaming towards Lake Superior at 1000 MPH, he'd have been playing that damned game until the last second ... :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I was on a Ryanair flight from Dublin to Bristol a few months ago for a football match. I'm on the window seat and there's a woman with her five year old son on the toehr two seats of the row.

Twenty minutes into the flight I turn round and this woman has her shirt open breast-feeding her five year old.

You have a problem with a woman getting her boobs out in the seat beside you?
    http://www.wordans.com/wvc-1329848809/wordansfiles/images/2012/2/21/126572/126572_340.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

MadYaker wrote: »
    I call shenanigans on this. Now way would any airline give real knives and forks to everyone on the plane. Absolutely impossible.

Etihad Airlines still do give real cutlery out with the inflight meals, its madness altogether when you consider all the security you have to go through to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

On a flight from Ismir to Dublin.

I watched a young Dublin couple with baby in tow, they drank shorts for 4 hours and just before landing, she changed the toddlers (very smelly) nappy and threw the used one under her seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

spoofilyj wrote: »
    Etihad Airlines still do give real cutlery out with the inflight meals, its madness altogether when you consider all the security you have to go through to get there.

Sure you can buy a glass bottle of high strenght vodka when you go through duty free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Was on flight from Dublin to New York last month and had a great laugh at what one man said to an air hostess.

Story goes like this...We were just getting settled in our seats, you know, storing our overhead luggage and getting ready to sit down when the captain came on the intercom. "Good day ladies and gentlemen, I pleased to be you captain today" the man next to me was sitting on the outside and said loudly "A woman captain" the air hostess took exception at this and went over to the man and said "And what exactly is wrong with that sir?" to which man replied (a bit taken aback) "nothing at all". The air hostess was quite a snooty old cow and came back with "and I should hope not". Just as she was walking off the man turned to me and said out load, "It's just that when we get to New York, who's going to park the plane for her".

I wet myself! Went on to have great chat and a few drinks the said gentleman and it turned out that his niece was a pilot!" The air hostess didn't go near him for the rest of the flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

love this thread! can't stop at some of these stories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Newark,NJ to Shannon airport, around 2 years ago.

It was dark and there was a storm outside with lightning, there was a lot of turbulence. I was looking around at people to see if anyone was scared then I noticed the guy in the row across from mine, was looking at his screen with his hands out like claws. It looked like he was writhing in pain or having a seizure or something while gnashing his teeth like a dog. I'm pretty sure he was watching PS I love you or some ****.

Well......
    I was a bit freaked out at first but I just couldn't hold in the laughter, some of you may say there must've been something wrong with him why didn't I help him?.

Well after about 15 minutes he stopped. He seemed fine. He looked a bit like Gollum from lord of the rings actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Was on a Quantas flight going from Heathrow-Singapore-Perth (I was getting off in Singapore). This family of four sat in the 4 seats in front of mine. The mother was sobbing and it was obvious that she had just said goodbye to loved ones. The father on the other hand was happy out, he was getting the kids settled and joking to them. He looked to be beaming with joy. It was obvious that they were immigrating to Perth given the amount of baggage.

Anyways, just as we were taxiing out of Heathrow the mother was still sobbing and crying. The little 5 year old girl then turned to her Daddy who was sitting beside her (still very happy and jovial) and said in her sweet English voice, "Daddy, why is Mummy crying?"

To which the father replied, "Because she won't be seeing Nanna Mary for a very very long time". Turned out Mary was his mother in law!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Some of those stories are class!!

I flew home from Syndney about 4 years ago, was sitting in the bar in the airport waiting for the gate to open, had a book open and ear phones on etc....you know the do not disturb look.....anyway this guy actually came over and sat opposite me and took my earphones out because he wanted to talk to me. I'm seriously annooyed but too shy to say anything to him. Luckily 5 mins later gate opened and I pretended I had to go to the loo and waited a while till I got on the plane...

Turns out my seat was beside weird guy, almost crying at this stage. The flight was jam packed so no chance of moving. So I'm sitting there listening to him rabbit on about how wealthy he was and why he was flying this way instead of that way and he was from the states etc etc.....plane starts to take off and he gets out his lunch and immediately the air hostess comes down to him to tell him to put his meal tray up as it can't be down while the plane is taking off. He starts trying to get me into the conversation, whereupon I just put the earphones back in my ears and close my eyes. Eventually drift off and wake up in a panic as the guy is actually stroking my hand and my face. I asked him to stop and he's like oh but I thought you'd like it. So then the airhostess comes round with the food and he starts off again because he ordered a special meal and there wasn't one for him. I just looked helplessly at the airhostess and she came back to me 5 minutes later and told me they were upgrading me to business class. The look on the guys face was priceless, he starts ranting and raving about how he was wealthy and how come he didn't get upgraded too.....blah blah!

It was with Ethihad! They were so nice, I got ungraded the whole way back to Dublin too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

notsobusy wrote: »
    anyway this guy actually came over and sat opposite me and took my earphones out because he wanted to talk to me.

oh. oh wow. punchable offence right there. i don't think i could contain myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

MadYaker wrote: »
    I call shenanigans on this. Now way would any airline give real knives and forks to everyone on the plane. Absolutely impossible.

Up until last year my mother had a set of Aer Lingus cutlery from a flight in 1988 (i know this because she insisted I was the one who put them in her bag...I was 5months old....)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

oh. oh wow. punchable offence right there. i don't think i could contain myself.

I was so tempted, he kept talking to me and I was trying to be as rude as I possibly could, monosyllabic answers and not smiling etc etc but he just kept talking!!! But I was just too shy to punch him!

• Advertisement
Advertisement