Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find these billboards offensive?

Options
  • 15-06-2012 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

I've spotted these billboard ads for Youth Defence popping up around the city centre, and personally find them offensive.

http://www.youthdefence.ie/am_cms_media/tears-billboard-mk2.jpg

Anyone I've spoken to about them doesn't like them, finds them offensive or emotionally manipulative and I've reported it to the ASAI (The Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland).

I wondered what the general public thought about these ads?

Do you find these billboard ads offensive? 359 votes

Yes I do on some level
    0% 0 votes
    No, this does not offend me
    100% 359 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

No. They don't offend me.

But to each their own. I support (in principle) your complaint to the ASAI...if you think it beaches their guidelines.

PS: difference between "not liking" and being "offended" by an ad. And then of course the most important question - did it set out to CAUSE offence? Can't really see that it did tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anti-abortion groups tend to offend me in general tbh...

And don't get me started on the utter moronity of the term "pro-lfe" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I disagree with it but it doesnt offend me. People are far too eager to be offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

that's a photoshop, she shadows are all wrong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Doesn't offend me personally but I can see why others would feel differently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Why is that guy wearing a hood, it aint even raining!!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

smash wrote: »
    that's a photoshop, she shadows are all wrong :pac:
    I got it from the Youth Defence website, it's probably a proof before the campaign was launched.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Edit Poster title:

"Abortion tears the unborn child apart"..... literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Yes. Pro choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Who is this ad aimed at? ...... at men who demand abortions :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I don't know if I find them offensive, still trying to decide how I feel about them, but I don't agree with their slogan. Sometimes, there isn't a better answer.

To claim there's always a better answer isn't always true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

No I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

You seem easily offended. If you are so offended and against the ad why didn't you simply complain to the asai and not whinge about it here? Most people wouldn't have seen the ad if you hadn't posted it here.

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    I don't know if I find them offensive, still trying to decide how I feel about them, but I don't agree with their slogan. Sometimes, there isn't a better answer.

To claim there's always a better answer isn't always true.

This is what I find most offensive about it, the use of the word 'Always', it just doesn't sit well with me.

I've never complained about an ad before, but this one is such an emotionally manipulative piece of advertising that I wanted to do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

No - it doesn't offend me.

I think anti-abortion messages seem to be unfair because you aren't going to have the same number or volume of groups motivated to post their opposite number so for those who are aren't anti-choice, they generate a feeling of bias or not getting the full spectrum of views/choices out there so that women/people can make an informed choice...but I wouldn't consider them offensive, no.

You seem easily offended. If you are so offended and against the ad why didn't you simply complain to the asai and not whinge about it here? Most people wouldn't have seen the ad if you hadn't posted it here.

Those based in Dublin probably see these billboards every day, there's one in busaras, in train stations, buses and apparently the luas. This is a national campaign so it will be advertised on billboards or as posters elsewhere in time.

I'm not an easily offended sort of person at all, I've never complained to the ASAI or similar before, but this particular campaign made me want to act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

LisaLee wrote: »
    I've spotted these billboard ads for Youth Defence popping up around the city centre, and personally find them offensive.

http://www.youthdefence.ie/am_cms_media/tears-billboard-mk2.jpg

Anyone I've spoken to about them doesn't like them, finds them offensive or emotionally manipulative and I've reported it to the ASAI (The Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland).

I wondered what the general public thought about these ads?

they're intended to provoke that reaction, they want people to complain, because it means they got notice.

i coulnt give two fiddlers nowadays tbh, sick of hearing about abortion pro-life, pro-choice, they can all go and pro-fúck off, people will make up their own minds, regardless of a shítty ad campaign! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

frag420 wrote: »
    Why is that guy wearing a hood, it aint even raining!!

What's he got in the bag?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i find all billboards offensive

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

No, all ads offend me to the exact same degree. That slogan is the same one used for suicide, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

It highlights an issue that always bothers me; why is it these type of ads, using emotional manipulation to speak out against abortion, are out on display but you never see one saying "It's your decision, don't let anyone else make your mind up for you"?

We only ever see one side of arguments, usually with a religious backing, out in force. I guarantee that if a pro choice billboard was placed in Dublin there would be outrage, just like any form of atheist promotion gets vilanised.

So yes, I find it offensive. There are was to get an anti abortion message across without being emotional manipulative or insensitive.

xsiborg wrote: »
    they're intended to provoke that reaction, they want people to complain, because it means they got notice.

i coulnt give two fiddlers nowadays tbh, sick of hearing about abortion pro-life, pro-choice, they can all go and pro-fúck off, people will make up their own minds, regardless of a shítty ad campaign! :rolleyes:

That's it though, they're meant to provoke a reaction, but I personally don't want to have to see this sort of thing every day so some group can push their personal agenda at me.

It's totally up to people to make their own minds up on a sensitive subject such as abortion, but if they wanted to read about it, then they would do it on their own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm not even offended by prolifers calling themselves "Youth Defence".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

hunky dory crisps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Theres probably a better answer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Vocal pro-lifers offend me in general, so yep I'm not a fan of the billboards. Only saw it for the first time yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't like them at all and I'd rather not have to see them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

....you never see one saying "It's your decision, don't let anyone else make your mind up for you"?

You mean like this...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/22/cpadontbemanipulated.jpg/

:confused: It's been around a long time now.
    That's it though, they're meant to provoke a reaction, but I personally don't want to have to see this sort of thing every day so some group can push their personal agenda at me..

Have you ever complained about ads about littering, anti-racism, responsible drinking etc etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Not offensive to me either but I don't really see what the point is...surely they would have been better off putting the money this campaign cost to produce into services for women in crisis pregnancy.

I see a lot of the pro-life stuff now is focusing on the aftermath of abortion rather than on the abortion itself. Now I am pro-choice but pro informed choice, I do think women need to know that they might not bounce back after an abortion and that it may have impact on their emotional health but when you are in the midst of a crisis pregnancy the last thing you will take notice of is a billboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

That's it though, they're meant to provoke a reaction, but I personally don't want to have to see this sort of thing every day so some group can push their personal agenda at me.

It's totally up to people to make their own minds up on a sensitive subject such as abortion, but if they wanted to read about it, then they would do it on their own time.

my thoughts on it exactly!

the reason i say this is because around the time of the last abortion debate, i was after getting off a bus in nenagh and heading up to supermacs, when i saw a bunch gathered outside supermacs with posters up on lamp-posts of graphic images of aborted foetuses. it turned my stomach, so i went up to the local garda station and asked had they sought permission to stick up these posters. the garda told me that all they needed was one complaint, twenty minutes later the posters were taken down and the group were moved on.

Advertisement