Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find these billboards offensive?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Sharrow wrote: »
    I can, at the prochoice counter rally last summer, and other times when I have take part in public debates and discussions.

pro choice counter rally?

A child?
    That's kind of emotive language in itself. A ball of cells is hardly a child.
    What would your opinion be on, say the morning after pill? Would you class that as killing a child?

What's poor about that logic?
    You don't need to be a rape victim to know it's bad, but would you seriously claim that a rape victim wouldn't have a deeper understanding of exactly how bad it is?

It doesnt give him/her the right to be the moral authority on it though. If experience afforded you the right to dictate to others what was right, the legal system would be a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Relevance? This is not some kind of special "members only" club where only certain people are afforded the right to an opinion.

It's relevant in that you have no actual experience of an unplanned pregnancy and therefore can't really say how you would react or what you would do. I have had experience of an unplanned pregnancy and what I wanted to do was the complete opposite of what I thought I would have done before I found myself in the situation. I was single, penniless and really sacred but I still wanted to have the baby whereas I always assumed I would want an abortion. Sadly I lost the baby but my reaction to the situation really surprised me.

I suspect a lot of pro lifers quickly change their mind when faced with the reality of a baby they don't want. And that's the bit that annoys me about people standing on street corners handing out leaflets expressing a view of something they really have no concept of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

So if you dont see the posts they dont exist? Is this like a tree falling in the forest? ;)I remember the posts, if you decide not to believe me, thats your problem - they are there for you to find should you lose sleep over their credibility.

I am not a member of youth defence - why does it matter either way? And why did you try to draw some link between non-existance of said posts and YD membership? Are you trying to imply that YD members lie about being insulted or something?

Here's an idea for an adult discussion - if you've something to say, say it...otherwise shush ;)

Do you remember who posted them?
    I never said they didn't exist, i said i didn't see them and i would be interested in going back and seeing what exactly was said.
    So do you remember who it was?

Lux23 wrote: »
    It's relevant in that you have no actual experience of an unplanned pregnancy and therefore can't really say how you would react or what you would do. I have had experience of an unplanned pregnancy and what I wanted to do was the complete opposite of what I thought I would have done before I found myself in the situation. I was single, penniless and really sacred but I still wanted to have the baby whereas I always assumed I would want an abortion. Sadly I lost the baby but my reaction to the situation really surprised me.

I suspect a lot of pro lifers quickly change their mind when faced with the reality of a baby they don't want. And that's the bit that annoys me about people standing on street corners handing out leaflets expressing a view of something they really have no concept of.

Dont assume to tell me what I would or would not do in this situation - only I know this.

• Advertisement

It doesnt give him/her the right to be the moral authority on it though. If experience afforded you the right to dictate to others what was right, the legal system would be a joke.

Interesting use of words.
    If experience doesn't teach us what is right and wrong, then what does?
    The legal system, all human systems in fact are based on past experience. What else could they possibly be based on?

Do you remember who posted them?
    I never said they didn't exist, i said i didn't see them and i would be interested in going back and seeing what exactly was said.
    So do you remember who it was?

Off you go so...why are you still badgering me? No I dont remember who posted them, suffice to say they were from "pro-choicers". I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to get at...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

pro choice counter rally?

Yup on O'Connell street the counter rally to the pro life LIFE march.

If experience doesn't teach us what is right and wrong, then what does?
    The legal system, all human systems in fact are based on past experience. What else could they possibly be based on?

Interesting word gymnastics... So you maintain that only those who have relevant experience can be allowed to make and enforce the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Dont assume to tell me what I would or would not do in this situation - only I know this.

But you see you don't know no more than I did until it happened to me.

• Advertisement

Sharrow wrote: »
    Yup on O'Connell street the counter rally to the pro life LIFE march.
    ah I see. yes I am sure both sides were as peaceful as each other.

Lux23 wrote: »
    But you see you don't know no more than I did until it happened to me.

Simply not true. You experiencing an unplanned pregnancy does not give you the right to tell me what I would or would not do. I already know. I would never abort my unborn child. I know I cannot prove this to you, so there's very little point arguing with you about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

You like that dictionary don't you!
    It help provide clarity, and cuts through word play.
    When does it become a child?
    Good question. I'm not really too sure, that's why I don't like the idea of abortion. Sometime after fertilisation.
    It does none of those things
    Sure it does, I've experience therefore my opinion is more valid! That the purpose. We can all see it.
    It's very disingenuous to claim otherwise.
    Not really. And thankfully the concept of a democratic society sides with me on this point. We all get to vote - experienced or not.
    If experience doesn't teach us what is right and wrong, then what does
    You've never experienced genocide I take it. Is it right or wrong? I happen to know it's wrong even though I've no experience of it (thankfully)

True, I've been referred to as a freak, a bible basher, a "up my own arse type", part of a "shower" (laugh or cry at this one???), a dick...the list goes on :)
    One wonders why the need to substantiate their views with insults and put downs....surely the views should carry themselves?
    So if youdont see the posts they dont exist? Is this like a tree falling in the forest? ;)I remember the posts, if you decide not to believe me, thats your problem - they are there for you to find should you lose sleep over their credibility.

I am not a member of youth defence - why does it matter either way? And why did you try to draw some link between non-existance of said posts and YD membership? Are you trying to imply that YD members lie about being insulted or something?

Here's an idea for an adult discussion - if you've something to say, say it...otherwise shush ;)
    Off you go so...why are you still badgering me? No I dont remember who posted them, suffice to say they were from "pro-choicers". I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to get at...

I've gone back over all the posts in this thread.
    Guess what?

That's exceptionally disengenous sbsquarepants. Go back over the thread again, and consider apologisng.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i see sbsp calling the phelps bible bashers, and possibly youth defense/their sponsoring catholic group
    i don't see any mentions of arse until oldnotwise brought it up
    i see youth defense again being called dicks and freaks

how exactly could any of that have been aimed at you?
    i don't see it

I've gone back over all the posts in this thread.
    Guess what?

Like I said, if you've something to say, say it. Nobody wants to play silly mind games with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Zulu wrote: »

You've never experienced genocide I take it. Is it right or wrong? I happen to know it's wrong even though I've no experience of it (thankfully)

You may have never experienced it personally but lessons are learnt from past experiences of it in the world - and greater lessons can be learnt from people who have. Everywhere learns right and wrong from somewhere - and these lessons don't come from nowhere.

So while you're opinion is no less valid than that of a person who has experienced an unplanned pregnancy there are definite lessons that can be learned from the experiences of others. And to disregard the experiences of people who do not fit in with your ideals creates flawed logics.

In the case of unplanned pregnancy not all experiences are the same, so to pick and choose the experiences you are basing your arguments around is flawed. I know someone who had an abortion and it ruined their life therefore everyone who has an abortion has their life ruined is a flawed argument. Prochoice people do not claim to think that the same outcome will be for everyone but recognize through the experiences of people that have gone through it that no unplanned pregnancy is the same and so it is up to the person in the situation to choose how the deal with it or react.

Even if you are prolife - i find the way in which this particular campaign, and others like it - are unsuccesful as they don't seem to even attempt to understand the reasoning behind why people might choose or need to have an abortion. Instead they just tell them they are wrong. They may have a better chance in campaigning if their advertisements weren't so extreme and one sided.

Good question. I'm not really too sure, that's why I don't like the idea of abortion. Sometime after fertilisation.

I don't know either, i dislike the idea too, but unfortunately it's a shítty world sometimes and it might just be the best available idea. To claim it could never ever be the correct course of action seems very simplistic to me.
    Sure it does, I've experience therefore my opinion is more valid! That the purpose. We can all see it.
    Not really. And thankfully the concept of a democratic society sides with me on this point. We all get to vote - experienced or not.

Yes we all get to vote and so we should. That doesn't mean we all know as much as each other.

Don't tell me what i have and haven't experienced! (Just a little genocide humour to lighten the mood!:D)

No i haven't experienced it, thankfully. Yes, i know it's wrong. But i also am humble enough to acknowledge that a lot of Rwandans for example, know a lot better than me as to what exactly it's like.

Like I said, if you've something to say, say it. Nobody wants to play silly mind games with you.

It's not a silly mind game, you weren't called any of the things you said you were called. If i've somehow missed it, quote it and i'll sincerely apologise.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    i see sbsp calling the phelps bible bashers, and possibly youth defense/their sponsoring catholic group

i don't see it

That's all i seen too.
    And that is actually why i asked was he a member of youth defence, which he has said he isn't.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »

i don't see it

Oh yes I'm so sorry...the word was actually, "arsery" - is that ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I'm offended... at nothing in particular. Perhaps because this thread is still going, but meh, being offended seems to be the new jazz.

actually forget it, the feeding has gone on long enough.

It's not a silly mind game, you weren't called any of the things you said you were called. If i've somehow missed it, quote it and i'll sincerely apologise.

That's all i seen too.
    And that is actually why i asked was he a member of youth defence, which he has said he isn't.

And that is actually why i asked was he she a member of youth defence, which he she has said he she isn't

...lest there be any confusion ;)

Can I take offence on their behalf? After all, they represent (very strongly) my beliefs. Otherwise, the only people on here allowed to "take offence" at these posters are the ones directly affected.

No, it's not.
    The point is YOU weren't called any of those things at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

It doesn't lead to too many pregnancies, so that's fine with me

actually forget it, the feeding has gone on long enough.

Now that is disingenuous.
    But i take your point, we've already degenerated to the point of just making things up, so it's probably best to just call it a day.

No, it's not.
    The point is YOU weren't called any of those things at all.
    God...that MUST mean abortion is ok...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

God...that MUST mean abortion is ok...

Hurrah! Thread over.

• Advertisement

Now that is disingenuous.
    But i take your point, we've already degenerated to the point of just making things up, so it's probably best to just call it a day.
    Translation: I've managed to point score and catch you out on a technicality (because like it or not these insults were hardly levelled at pro-choicers were they?) therefore we have no choice but to accept that abortion is acceptable and these posters are offensive and lets finish the conversation while I am ahead...

Advertisement