Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find these billboards offensive?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

old hippy wrote: »
    Hurrah! Thread over.
    sighs wearily....and goes about deleting notification emails from junk folder....

Incidentally, has anyone (pro choicers or pro lifers) changed their views since the discussion began? Just as a matter of interest...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    sighs wearily....and goes about deleting notification emails from junk folder....

sighs wearily... and goes about deleting clumps of cells from one's life...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

God...that MUST mean abortion is ok...

Sure we'll all be having abortions now ted:)
    Translation: I've managed to point score and catch you out on a technicality (because like it or not these insults were hardly levelled at pro-choicers were they?) therefore we have no choice but to accept that abortion is acceptable and these posters are offensive and lets finish the conversation while I am ahead...

AKA a lie.
    Just like the one on that big old billboard that everyone is talking about.
    Badum, tish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

True, I've been referred to as a freak, a bible basher, a "up my own arse type", part of a "shower" (laugh or cry at this one???), a dick...the list goes on :)
    Can I take offence on their behalf?

not after that, no

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

And that is actually why i asked was he she a member of youth defence, which he she has said he she isn't

...lest there be any confusion ;)

Can I take offence on their behalf? After all, they represent (very strongly) my beliefs. Otherwise, the only people on here allowed to "take offence" at these posters are the ones directly affected.

The slurs were aimed at pro-life people, particularly those exercise their right to protest and whose who agree with the perfectly legal pro-life adverts. Thats why they are insulting. They don't have to be aimed at a Boards.ie user to be wrong. Civilness is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Incidentally, has anyone (pro choicers or pro lifers) changed their views since the discussion began? Just as a matter of interest...
    lol dont be stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

lol dont be stupid.

I have never seen a more appropriate close to a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

AKA a lie.
    Just like the one on that big old billboard that everyone is talking about.
    Badum, tish!!
    I'm glad you brought that back up. The billboard isn't a lie, it's an opinion - remember, it's not a fact.

It's sad you are so intent in peddling mis-truths, but I guess you've nothing left other that to resort to a childish straw-man. Clearly the point was that insults were leveled at the anti-abortion lobby. Anyone reading this is aware of that. It's a shame your argument doesn't have the maturity to recognise the same, but I suppose at least it helps to highlight the childishness in the debate, and where it comes from.

As robp stated civilness is free, and no clearer civility than that of an apology, which we won't be holding our breath for - I guess maturity goes hand in hand with and ability to apologise.

So ultimately, if we cut beyond the ad-homenim attacks, ignoring peoples opinions based on their sex, and childish straw-men arguments, why are people offended? Because someone has a differing opinion? That's pretty sad.

robp wrote: »
    The slurs were aimed at pro-life people, particularly those exercise their right to protest and whose who agree with the perfectly legal pro-life adverts. Thats why they are insulting. They don't have to be aimed at a Boards.ie user to be wrong. Civilness is free.

Aren't most people, bar the occasional serial killer i suppose, pro life?
    What is the opposite of pro life? Anti life? Pro death?
    The point remains the "insults" claimed by the boards.ie user were not ever levelled at her. She accepted this and then said she wanted to take offence "on behalf of" youth defence.
    Zulu wrote: »
    I'm glad you brought that back up. The billboard isn't a lie, it's an opinion - remember, it's not a fact.

It's sad you are so intent in peddling mis-truths, but I guess you've nothing left other that to resort to a childish straw-man. Clearly the point was that insults were leveled at the anti-abortion lobby. Anyone reading this is aware of that. It's a shame your argument doesn't have the maturity to recognise the same, but I suppose at least it helps to highlight the childishness in the debate, and where it comes from.

As robp stated civilness is free, and no clearer civility than that of an apology, which we won't be holding our breath for - I guess maturity goes hand in hand with and ability to apologise.

So ultimately, if we cut beyond the ad-homenim attacks, ignoring peoples opinions based on their sex, and childish straw-men arguments, why are people offended? Because someone has a differing opinion? That's pretty sad.

In my opinion, the billboard is intentionaly dishonest - we've been over that a dozen times, your arguments haven't swayed me and mine haven't swayed you.
    Mis-truths? I'm not the one making false claims about being called various names, and then getting all ratty when i was asked to back it up. We all make mistakes and thats why i asked her to provide the quotes, maybe i had missed them, maybe she missread them, but no she insisted and got actually quite childish about it.
    Now, seeing as you are so pedantic about the meaning of words here's some for you to look up.
    Lying.
    Exaggeration.
    Missrepresentation.
    False.

And what's this we business, who are the we, holding their collective breath for an apology. Or are yourself and robp joining in and "taking offence on behalf of....."?

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    not after that, no
    After what exactly? Excuse me if I take offence anyway. After all, they strongly represent my very dtrong belief system, and I admire them for fighting for their cause and dont think they deserve to be insulted the way they have been so....yes...offence taken.

Aren't most people, bar the occasional serial killer i suppose, pro life?
    What is the opposite of pro life? Anti life? Pro death?
    The point remains the "insults" claimed by the boards.ie user were not ever levelled at her. She accepted this and then said she wanted to take offence "on behalf of" youth defence.

In my opinion, the billboard is intentionaly dishonest - we've been over that a dozen times, your arguments haven't swayed me and mine haven't swayed you.
    Mis-truths? I'm not the one making false claims about being called various names, and then getting all ratty when i was asked to back it up. We all make mistakes and thats why i asked her to provide the quotes, maybe i had missed them, maybe she missread them, but no she insisted and got actually quite childish about it.
    Now, seeing as you are so pedantic about the meaning of words here's some for you to look up.
    Lying.
    Exaggeration.
    Missrepresentation.
    False.

And what's this we business, who are the we, holding their collective breath for an apology. Or are yourself and robp joining in and "taking offence on behalf of....."?

I just love the way this entire thread has turned into a "she said, he said" carnival - its clear that the rights of the unborn child are far from some posters minds...though hardly surprising.

lol dont be stupid.

Stupid? thanks :rolleyes: I was genuinely wondering if anyone had.....

The point remains the "insults" claimed by the boards.ie user were not ever levelled at her.
    Indeed, they were leveled at the anti-abortion lobby.
    I'm not the one making false claims about being called various names
    So you deny referring to the anti-abortion lobby as "god-bothering" and acting like "dicks"? Because in order for it to be a false claim, you've have to.
    and got actually quite childish about it.
    Leveling insults is childish. Refusing to acknowledge your actions is childish. Refusing to apologise is childish.

Now, I've apologised for any comment I've made that might insulting.
    I've acknowledged my post. Can you say the same? Because the evidence suggest otherwise.
    ...Or are yourself and robp joining in and "taking offence on behalf of....."?
    You mean like those people taking offence on behalf of other women who could see the posters & might get offended? LOL, your double standards are priceless.

You hold no credibility at this point.

...more holes than block of swiss cheese used as an archery target.

So you deny referring to the anti-abortion lobby as "god-bothering" and acting like "dicks"? Because in order for it to be a false claim, you've have to.
    Leveling insults is childish. Refusing to acknowledge your actions is childish. Refusing to apologise is childish.

I've acknowledged my post. Can you say the same? Because the evidence suggest otherwise.

You mean like those people taking offence on behalf of other women who could see the posters & might get offended? LOL, your double standards are priceless.

You hold no credibility at this point.

hi Zulu, I already questioned why I was not allowed to take offence on behalf of like minded people who fought for a cause I believe in, yet seemingly everyone and anyone can "take offence" at these posters...afaik it was not addressed, though perhaps I will have another look...

If another poster is immature enough to feel like they have "won" such a hugely controversial and moral argument based on a technicality of "she said, he said, i didn't say, you did say" then I am happy to offer it up. I feel like this thread has really run its course tbh :D

I just love the way this entire thread has turned into a "she said, he said" carnival -

Come on now, who's fault might that be?

Leveling insults is childish. Refusing to acknowledge your actions is childish. Refusing to apologise is childish..

Yes.
    What i actually said was the people behind these posters are behaving like dicks and i called youth defence god botherers. I stand by both.
    I have no problem whatsoever with the anti abortion lobby, whoever they are. It's not like i'm in some abortion fan club. It's never a nice option, but it's sometimes the best of a bad bunch, in my opinion.
    I've acknowledged my post. Can you say the same? Because the evidence suggest otherwise..

If i've personally insulted you, i apologise (i don't think i have, but if i did i'm sorry it wasn't my intention)

You hold no credibility at this point. .

You're (intentionally?) missing the point again. I said i was "offended" for want of a better word. I also said so what, i don't have a god given right to an offence free existence. Certain things, certain people do annoy me, i'm sure certain things i do annoy them. That's life. There's no double standard that i can see. I'm not "offended" on anyones behalf other than my own. The billboard annoys me, because it's innacurate and unsympathetic, and i believe it causes distress for the sake of it. In other words - the people behind it are dicks.

Ha ha. I love this one, i may well plagiarise it!:D
    hi Zulu, I already questioned why I was not allowed to take offence on behalf of like minded people who fought for a cause I believe in, yet seemingly everyone and anyone can "take offence" at these posters...afaik it was not addressed, though perhaps I will have another look...

If another poster is immature enough to feel like they have "won" such a hugely controversial and moral argument based on a technicality of "she said, he said, i didn't say, you did say" then I am happy to offer it up. I feel like this thread has really run its course tbh :D

It's not really any of my business what you take offence at or not as the case may be, that's entirely your own concern.
    But if in the course of an argument, you make demonstrably false claims to back up your point, you can't really complain if you get caught out.
    The facts are (it can be proven, them's the rules - ask zulu) You told a little porkie pie and you got caught - just take it for what it is. And stop calling lies, technicalities. Technicalities are when you are technically right, you were wrong, no technicality there i'm afraid.
    Also it's a bit rich to be spouting on about maturity when you can't even accept you were caught spoofing, despite the evidence being there in writing for all to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Raven_Melody

Passed one of these today, there's no call for it at all.

Come on now, who's fault might that be?

Yes.
    What i actually said was the people behind these posters are behaving like dicks and i called youth defence god botherers. I stand by both.
    I have no problem whatsoever with the anti abortion lobby, whoever they are.

If i've personally insulted you, i apologise (i don't think i have, but if i did i'm sorry it wasn't my intention)

You're (intentionally?) missing the point again. I said i was "offended" for want of a better word. I also said so what, i don't have a god given right to an offence free existence. Certain things, certain people do annoy me, i'm sure certain things i do annoy them. That's life. There's no double standard that i can see. I'm not "offended" on anyones behalf other than my own. The billboard annoys me, because it's innacurate and unsympathetic, and i believe it causes distress for the sake of it. In other words - the people behind it are dicks.

Ha ha. I love this one, i may well plagiarise it!:D

It's not really any of my business what you take offence at or not as the case may be, that's entirely your own concern.
    But if in the course of an argument, you make demonstrably false claims to back up your point, you can't really complain if you get caught out.
    The facts are (it can be proven, them's the rules - ask zulu) You told a little porkie pie and you got caught - just take it for what it is. And stop calling lies, technicalities. Technicalities are when you are technically right, you were wrong, no technicality there i'm afraid.
    Also it's a bit rich to be spouting on about maturity when you can't even accept you were caught spoofing, despite the evidence being there in writing for all to see.

Demonstrably false claims to back up my point? As part of the anti abortion "lobby" that have been insulted time and time again, I do take offence at these insults, like it or not, and seeing as I am pro life and therefore consider myself to be fully supportive of their agenda, I am insulted.

"The billboard annoys me, because it's innacurate and unsympathetic, and i believe it causes distress for the sake of it. In other words - the people behind it are dicks the billboards annoy me"

Just because you dont agree with something, does not make the people behind it male appendages. This is a false statement to make.

True, I've been referred to as a freak, a bible basher, a "up my own arse type", part of a "shower" (laugh or cry at this one???), a dick...the list goes on :)
    One wonders why the need to substantiate their views with insults and put downs....surely the views should carry themselves?
    So if you dont see the posts they dont exist? Is this like a tree falling in the forest? ;)I remember the posts, if you decide not to believe me, thats your problem - they are there for you to find should you lose sleep over their credibility.

I am not a member of youth defence - why does it matter either way? And why did you try to draw some link between non-existance of said posts and YD membership? Are you trying to imply that YD members lie about being insulted or something?

Here's an idea for an adult discussion - if you've something to say, say it...otherwise shush ;)

Jesus, you don't like being caught out do you.
    Now i've highlighted the important parts again.

Do you still claim you weren't caught spoofing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

http://www.jcdecaux.ie/ is the company who took the contract for the youth defense ads. This is how to contact them and lodge a complaint http://www.jcdecaux.ie/get-in-touch/ if you need help drafting a letter there is one here http://www.twitlonger.com/show/hu367f

• Advertisement

I don't follow your point Sharrow.

Change the record. You're sending me to sleep at my desk... :o

I don't follow your point Sharrow.

I would assume he/she means that if posters feel so strongly about the er...posters, they would be better served actually doing something constructive and lodging a formal complaint, rather than yammering on about them on boards and trying to win people over by banging on about technicalities? I could be wrong...I have been known to be... ;);)

Spoofing? Porkie pies? Are you 6?

Yes I told a "boo boo" happy? You can stop being hysterical about it now, its all sorted and they all lived happily ever after ;)

Spoofing? Porkie pies? Are you 6?

Yes I told a "boo boo" happy? You can stop being hysterical about it now, its all sorted and they all lived happily ever after ;)

No im 38. Well old enough to know the difference between a lie and the truth.
    I was going to recommend you for the most appropriate user name award - but you just rained on my parade by displaying a little bit of wisdom, the wisdom to know that when you've been caught telling porkies, it's probably best to just admit it and say sorry. (Well, you admitted it anyway!)
    Have a nice day OldNotWise - and please, try keep the spoofing to a minimum:D

No im 38. Well old enough to know the difference between a lie and the truth...
    ..but not a fact and an opinion! ;)

No im 38. Well old enough to know the difference between a lie and the truth.
    I was going to recommend you for the most appropriate user name award - but you just rained on my parade by displaying a little bit of wisdom, the wisdom to know that when you've been caught telling porkies, it's probably best to just admit it and say sorry. (Well, you admitted it anyway!)
    Have a nice day OldNotWise - and please, try keep the spoofing to a minimum:D

Glad I (clearly) made your day. It's hard to believe at 38 anonymous, online one-upmanship from the safety of your computer screen could leave you feeling so...fulfilled ;)

..but not a fact and an opinion! ;)

:D

Glad I (clearly) made your day. It's hard to believe at 38 anonymous, online one-upmanship from the safety of your computer screen could leave you feeling so...fulfilled ;)

I don't get out as much as i used too, you know how it is, kids, mortgage, bills and so on, and plus most of my time is taken up with my volunteer work down the abortion clinic:D

• Advertisement

I don't get out as much as i used too, you know how it is, kids, mortgage, bills and so on, and plus most of my time is taken up with my volunteer work down the abortion clinic:D

Wow, joking about abortion now? That's just nasty :eek:
    Definitely the lowest point of the thread.

Advertisement