Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find these billboards offensive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

.....the majority of people wouldn't have a problem - but then i suspect that both they and you, know that only too well..

Going by the results of the poll, the majority of people don't have a problem.. and going by the posts of those who do have a problem the message itself features just as prominently as the use of the word 'always'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

This evening (July 11th) there's a protest outside Leinster House against those awful Youth Defence ads, starting at 6.30pm.
    It has been organised by the folks behind the Unlike Youth Defence, I trust women to decide their lives for themselves page .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Best of luck to all who go to the protest tonight

Sharrow wrote: »
    This evening (July 11th) there's a protest outside Leinster House against those awful Youth Defence ads, starting at 6.30pm. .

Wouldn't it make more sense to protest at one of the bilboards, or at the ASAI? What do you expect anyone in Leinster House to do? :confused:

prinz wrote: »
    Wouldn't it make more sense to protest at one of the bilboards, or at the ASAI? What do you expect anyone in Leinster House to do? :confused:

Why, nothing, as usual. But the media and their cameras will be there to make it high profile, at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

This evening (July 11th) there's a protest outside Leinster House against those awful Youth Defence ads, starting at 6.30pm.
    It has been organised by the folks behind the Unlike Youth Defence, I trust women to decide their lives for themselves page .

Well count me out but I should report that today is the first time I actually saw one of these ads in real life - on the side of a bus. I survived to tell the tale.

old hippy wrote: »
    Why, nothing, as usual. But the media and their cameras will be there to make it high profile, at the very least.

Is that not doing YD's job for them?

Is that not doing YD's job for them?

Possibly. However, it's good to see that people can stand up to these crypto fascists.

Possibly. However, it's good to see that people can stand up to these crypto fascists.

Maybe it'd be better to picket their offices if you feel that strongly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

An attempt to suppress expression of a legitimate viewpoint sounds more crypto-fascistey to me.

• Advertisement

Morlar wrote: »
    An attempt to suppress expression of a legitimate viewpoint sounds more crypto-fascistey to me.

No - you don't get it. It's the wrong viewpoint spouted by the wrong type of people so its ok to suppress that:P

Maybe it'd be better to picket their offices if you feel that strongly.

I'm not picketing anyone at the moment, a chara. I'm in my sick bed in London but they have my support.

I'm not picketing anyone at the moment, a chara. I'm in my sick bed in London but they have my support.

Fair enough.

Get well soon btw.:)

Morlar wrote: »

Nothing legitimate about this lot and their acolytes.

Nothing legitimate about this lot and their acolytes.

That's a kinda throw-away remark to be fair. They (like all of us) are entitled to an opinion and to publicise it. No matter how much we dislike it or them.

That's a kinda throw-away remark to be fair. They (like all of us) are entitled to an opinion and to publicise it. No matter how much we dislike it or them.

Even when they claim their beliefs are fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

You never hear of anyone saying " I had an abortion, It did not tear my life apart, actually, it was a huge relief, had I continued with the pregnancy Im fairly sure that then my life would be somewhat torn apart.

Women who have this view rarely vocalise their opinion as the backlash is generally quite severe, you are seen as cruel and selfish.

We tend to keep it to ourselves which is a pity because to my knowledge, there are many women who have had abortions and would be better informed when giving advice to someone in a crisis pregnancy.

I had an abortion 20 years ago, it was a good decision. I now have two children and have never suffered any emotional consequences.

tempura wrote: »
    You never hear of anyone saying " I had an abortion, It did not tear my life apart, actually, it was a huge relief, had I continued with the pregnancy Im fairly sure that then my life would be somewhat torn apart.

Women who have this view rarely vocalise their opinion as the backlash is generally quite severe, you are seen as cruel and selfish.

We tend to keep it to ourselves which is a pity because to my knowledge, there are many women who have had abortions and would be better informed when giving advice to someone in a crisis pregnancy.

I had an abortion 20 years ago, it was a good decision. I now have two children and have never suffered any emotional consequences.

Thank you! I know several people who made that choice as well and whilst they (and I, in one case) had initial feelings about it - there's no denying that their lives are better now.

This stuff about being selfish and cruel is one of the usual tactics of the anti-choice crowd, it doesn't bear much scrutiny.

The ASAI can't do anything about the posters,
    There is legislation which can be brought to bear and that is for the government to do. We are at a point where TDs have to legistlate and have been told by the EU courts of human rights to legislate for the judgement handed down in the X case 20 years ago.

TDs need to know that there are pro choice people out there.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-t8vIjbfcbRY/T_29VhAys7I/AAAAAAAACSE/WBmYL8IJBKI/s886/12+-+1

TDs need to know that there are pro choice people out there

Fair enough, it's just when you mentioned "there's a protest outside Leinster House against those awful Youth Defence ads." I thought it was a protest against the ads. It isn't really, it's more of a general protest.

• Advertisement

hopefully the first of many :)

hopefully the first of many :)

..and I support your right to protest and managed not to get offended. :) If only everybody could be as accommodating to groups they may disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

..and I support your right to protest and managed not to get offended. :) If only everybody could be as accommodating to groups they may disagree with.

Shaming women who made an extremely difficult life choice is something which is not worthy of accommodation.

St.Spodo wrote: »
    Shaming women who made an extremely difficult life choice is something which is not worthy of accommodation.

Thanks for that perfect illustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

tempura wrote: »

i think the website is imnotsorry.net

Thanks for that perfect illustration.

You're welcome.

These billboards could hardly be more offensive as they propagate lies and misinformation. They ought to be censored.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Sometimes abortion is the wrong decision for a girl,and it can be a decision you can have a lot of regret over,abortion is not for everyone,and i wouldnt advise anybody to do it casually,i know there are a lot of people who say they dont do it on a whim,when it could be what they are doing.
    Abortion does end a developing life,say what you will but thats a life growing inside you,again im not anti abortion or pro abortion,ive had friends that have had abortions,but i still wouldnt advertise it as a good thing,i think the campaign we see can be a postive thing,it could make a girl think twice,instead of being talked into an abortion by lets say her boyfriend or ex boyfriend..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Censor, unwillingness to accommodate... all positive attributes.

Zulu wrote: »
    Censor, unwillingness to accommodate... all positive attributes.

Stigmatising women, disinformation, emotional manipulation...all positive attributes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

is the word woman synonymous with abortion tell me?

Advertisement