Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find these billboards offensive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

blacklilly wrote: »
    Abortion and mental health: Quantitative systhesis and analysis of research published 1995 -2009, Priscilla K. Coleman

"After the application of methodologically based selection criteria and extraction rules to minimise bias, the sample comprised 22 studies, 36 measures of effect and 877 181 participants (163 831 experienced an abortion"
    A study which has been comprehensively debunked.

That paper was an analysis of 22 different studies, most of which were hers. The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists came out and pointed out it contradicted 3 previous analyses, and that her paper fails to examine "if these women had pre-existing mental health complications such as dependency issues and mood disorders before the abortion" (http://www.rcog.org.uk/what-we-do/campaigning-and-opinions/statement/rcog-statement-bjpsych-paper-mental-health-risks-and-a). She's also been criticized by the American Psychological Association, and the American Medical Association (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-skeptical-sleuth/201111/more-review-claiming-abortion-hurts-womens-mental-health) because she "did not adequately control for women's mental health prior to the pregnancy and abortion"

The Academy of Medical Royal Colleges found the same, that "previous mental health problems were not controlled for within the review" (http://aomrc.org.uk/publications/reports-a-guidance/doc_download/9432-induced-abortion-and-mental-health.html - PDF). They also found that "the Coleman review failed to provide any details about quality assessment, included a number of studies that were of low quality and failed to control for previous mental health problems". By the way, the conclusion of that report is enlightening: "Overall, we have therefore largely confirmed the findings of the APA and Charles reviews, both through our narrative review and meta-analysis. When a woman has an unwanted pregnancy, rates of mental health problems will be largely unaffected whether she has an abortion or goes on to give birth."

When there was an attempt to replicate her findings (by researchers at the University of California, somewhat more reputable than Bowling Green State University), they found that her results were not replicable, and "We were unable to reproduce the most basic tabulations of Coleman and colleagues. Moreover, their findings were logically inconsistent with other published research -- for example, they found higher rates of depression in the last month than other studies found during respondents' entire lifetimes. This suggests that the results were substantially inflated" (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/checkup/2010/12/study_disputes_abortion_mental.html).

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Sharrow wrote: »

The research I quoted was published in the Royal college of Psychiatrists . Now as far as I am aware no slanted study is published in a journal of its cailbre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I'm sure you won't deny that there are cases where women have suffered depression and even become suicidal after an abortion
    I'm sure you won't deny that there are cases where women have suffered depression and even become suicidal after carrying an unwanted pregnancy to full term

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

28064212 wrote: »
    I'm sure you won't deny that there are cases where women have suffered depression and even become suicidal after carrying an unwanted pregnancy to full term

I agree with you there. As I have said already I support the right of both potential parents to choose not to have a child through contraception or termination. In many cases abortion is better than an unwanted birth but in all cases contraception is better than abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Edit Poster title:

"Abortion tears the unborn child apart"..... literally.

Not usually one to agree with RTDH or Philologos about much at all and while I wouldn't agree with no abortion from conception to birth for any reason like they do for religious reasons, I find the idea of surgical abortion extremely distasteful and I'm a baby eating atheist !! (perhaps this isn't the time to use that moniker for atheists?? :p )

There is no getting around the fact that abortions past a certain point involve chopping up the fetus inside the womb and hoovering the pieces out. I am so glad my mother didn't get me chopped up inside the womb and have the chunks of me hoovered out !!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I'm glad I don't live in your idea of an "ideal" world

Glad I don't live in yours

old hippy wrote: »
    Glad I don't live in yours

Perhaps you'd like to tell me what my "ideal"world is as I haven't actually stated what my "ideal" is,I would be truly enlightened if you could explain

Perhaps you'd like to tell me what my "ideal"world is as I haven't actually stated what my "ideal" is,I would be truly enlightened if you could explain

Whatever the hell it is, I don't want any part of it. See your earlier reply. To the rights for either partner asking for abortion.

Whatever the hell it is, I don't want any part of it. See your ealier reply.

Wow what an amazingly premature judgement to make,well done for that. It would be prudent to not judge so quickly and possibly open your mind to others opinions,if you don't agree with my opinions that's perfectly ok.
    It would be a pretty boring world if we all had the same beliefs / opinions. Maybe you should try converse in an adult manner as opposed to making sweeping judgements based on a few of my posts.

Wow what an amazingly premature judgement to make,well done for that. It would be prudent to not judge so quickly and possibly open your mind to others opinions,if you don't agree with my opinions that's perfectly ok.
    It would be a pretty boring world if we all had the same beliefs / opinions. Maybe you should try converse in an adult manner as opposed to making sweeping judgements based on a few of my posts.

Like this?

"Sure maybe we'll cull them all, it'd be better for them to be dead than be unwanted by their father "

• Advertisement

Its certainly preferable bringing a child into the world to a father who never wanted it. There are sperm donors for that.

my response was directed at the above post,to suggest abortion is a better idea than bringing a child into the world because it may not be wanted by the father is an awful sentiment to have as Im sure the majority of people Will agree.
    The worthiness of the unborn should not be decided upon because the father does not want it.

my response was directed at the above post,to suggest abortion is a better idea than bringing a child into the world because it may not be wanted by the father is an awful sentiment to have as Im sure the majority of people Will agree.
    The worthiness of the unborn should not be decided upon because the father does not want it.

So it should be the woman's choice as to whether or not she terminates the pregnancy? Fair enough, it's her body.

So it should be the woman's choice as to whether or not she terminates the pregnancy? Fair enough, it's her body.

You must have an issue understanding my posts. Again,my response was directed towards a comment about fathers who didn't want anything to do with the child.
    Im sure you are intelligent enough to gather that I am anti-abortion.

You must have an issue understanding my posts. Again,my response was directed towards a comment about fathers who didn't want anything to do with the child.
    Im sure you are intelligent enough to gather that I am anti-abortion.

That response came across as a wee bit hysterical but aren't those the usual tactics of your crowd?

My friend aborted and when I found out, I was initially upset she couldn't tell me but later I realised that it really was for the best. Neither of us would have been able to cope, due to circumstances at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Im not anti abortion as I have said before but these billboards dont offend me really. What does offend me (I might be a bit hypocritical here) is the description given to a embryo as "just a bunch of cells" by some pro abortion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Youre just a bunch of cells....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Im not anti abortion as I have said before but these billboards dont offend me really. What does offend me (I might be a bit hypocritical here) is the description given to a embryo as "just a bunch of cells" by some pro abortion.

Its more accurate than calling it a child or baby. That annoys me more tbh.
    "Just a bunch of cells" is accurate but insensitive; its like calling a corpse decaying flesh or whatever.

steddyeddy wrote: »

No worries, eddy. I get offended when people describe said embryos as "babies", "children" and suchlike by some pro lifers :)

Its more accurate than calling it a child or baby. That annoys me more tbh.
    "Just a bunch of cells" is accurate but insensitive; its like calling a corpse decaying flesh or whatever.

I get uncomfortable because by that definition (which is by the way the right definition) misscarrages will be termed loss of a bunch of cells. Thats why I wouldnt be comfortable with it.

No worries, eddy. I get offended when people describe said embryos as "babies", "children" and suchlike by some pro lifers :)

Fair enough. I wouldnt call them that myself. I would call it an embryo though. Or a pregnancy.

• Advertisement

Youre just a bunch of cells....

Indeed I am :).

That response came across as a wee bit hysterical but aren't those the usual tactics of your crowd?

My friend aborted and when I found out, I was initially upset she couldn't tell me but later I realised that it really was for the best. Neither of us would have been able to cope, due to circumstances at the time.

by my crowd? just because Im Anti abortion does not mean Im affiliated to lobby group.

by my crowd? just because Im Anti abortion does not mean Im affiliated to lobby group.

Fair enough but do you not think it was a wee bit hysterical and not the mature response you demand of others?

My view is that abortion is necessary and that most people do not take it lightly and yes, there is initial sadness at "what could have been" but people have abortions for reasons. Let me clarify, I do care about the welfare of children - those that are born. I certainly wouldn't want to bring a kid into this world if I couldn't provide for it in terms of finance and love. It's just cruelty to have kids just for the sake of it.

Sacrificing a child for the good of the tribe is an age old tradition as is abortion. (Im not equating the too just citing precedent).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

For the record: the definition of the English word "child" includes "human featus". So those who refer to featuses as children are wholly accurate.

What annoys me is when people try to play that down in an attempt to lessen the value of what's being "destroyed"/killed.

Zulu wrote: »
    For the record: the definition of the English word "child" includes "human featus". So those who refer to featuses as children are wholly accurate.

Link, ta

Link, ta
    really, a link will change your opinion? Ok: http://m.dictionary.com/d/?q=child&o=0&l=dir

really, a link will change your opinion? Ok: http://m.dictionary.com/d/?q=child&o=0&l=dir

Probably not on this occasion. Where in the link does it say foetus, fetus or even, "human featus"?

Where in the link does it say foetus, fetus or even, "human featus"?
    Really? I've to read it for you also? Point 4.

• Advertisement

Really? I've to read it for you also? Point 4.

Please do!

Advertisement