Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find these billboards offensive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

old hippy wrote: »
    Zulu wrote: »
    Really? I've to read it for you also? Point 4.

Please do!
    Did you even look at the definition of the word child?

1.) Dictionary.com
    2.) child
    3.) read result

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Did you even look at the definition of the word child?

1.) Dictionary.com
    2.) child
    3.) read result

You might want to check that again.
    child
    [chahyld]
    - noun, pluralchildren
    1. boy or girl
    2. son or daughter
    There is no point 4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

This is what the link says, when I open it up

childsound.png

[chahyld]
    - noun, pluralchildren
    1. boy or girl
    2. son or daughter

- Related Forms
    child·like- adjective
    child·less·ness- noun

with child

- idiom
    1. pregnant

Origin:
    bef. 950; ME; OE cild; akin to Goth kilthai womb
    Source:

Dictionary.com Unabridged

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

I just feel sorry for any woman who has had an abortion and now has even further guilt than i'm sure they already feel thrown in their face. Very unfair and potentially hurtful ad IMO, nobody can make that judgement call unless their in that position, all circumstances are different

Apologies for those not using mobile devices, try this: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/child

...if you aren't using a mobile device, and were really interested
    1.) Dictionary.com
    2.) child
    3.) read result
    would have worked.

For those not bothered, I doubt it'll sway your opinion, but it reads:

child   [chahyld] Show IPA
    noun, plural chil·dren.
    1. a person between birth and full growth; a boy or girl: books for children.
    2. a son or daughter: All my children are married.
    3. a baby or infant.
    4. a human fetus.
    5. a childish person: He's such a child about money.

• Advertisement

Apologies for those not using mobile devices, try this: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/child

...if you aren't using a mobile device, and were really interested
    1.) Dictionary.com
    2.) child
    3.) read result
    would have worked.

For those not bothered, I doubt it'll sway your opinion, but it reads:

child   [chahyld] Show IPA
    noun, plural chil·dren.
    1. a person between birth and full growth; a boy or girl: books for children.
    2. a son or daughter: All my children are married.
    3. a baby or infant.
    4. a human fetus.
    5. a childish person: He's such a child about money.

Neither 4 nor 5 are actually children, just examples of usage of the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

LisaLee wrote: »
    I've spotted these billboard ads for Youth Defence popping up around the city centre, and personally find them offensive.

http://www.youthdefence.ie/am_cms_media/tears-billboard-mk2.jpg

Anyone I've spoken to about them doesn't like them, finds them offensive or emotionally manipulative and I've reported it to the ASAI (The Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland).

I wondered what the general public thought about these ads?

What is it you find offensive about them?

Neither 4 nor 5 are actually children, just examples of usage of the word.
    Indeed, the dictionary definition of the word is wrong. :rolleyes:

As I said earlier a link isn't going to change people's opinion, however anyone that refers to a featus as a child is entirly accurate and it's annoying and disengenous when people attempt to suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

anyone that refers to a featus as a child is entirly accurate and it's annoying and disengenous when people attempt to suggest otherwise.

The World According to Zulu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

old hippy wrote: »
    No worries, eddy. I get offended when people describe said embryos as "babies", "children" and suchlike by some pro lifers :)

Get as offended as you like. If you're that easily offended surely it is an inevitability that someone will offend you at some point.

The facts of the matter is that there is a human life in the womb from conception. As a result of that, I cannot justifiably offer a reason for killing that human life as a matter of a mere choice.

If it was just a woman, and just her body, then I'd be all for abortion. Since it involves the killing of a human life, I can't justify it.

It's not that complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

It does not offend me at all. It is the truth. Abortion does tear your life apart but for some people thats a choice they make.

Honestly as a man i am glad i dont make that decision, as a dad it scares the be jasus out of me,

Still being disingenuous I see.

No, it's the word according to the English reference dictionary, which is the accepted source for definitions of English words. For people interested in educated conversation at least.

Indeed, the dictionary definition of the word is wrong. :rolleyes:

As I said earlier a link isn't going to change people's opinion, however anyone that refers to a featus as a child is entirly accurate and it's annoying and disengenous when people attempt to suggest otherwise.

So a childish person is actually a child?

So a childish person is actually a child?

I think his point is that if a foetus is defined as a child, one needs a good reason to claim that it is not a child. If one looks to the root of the word foetus, it actually means 'young one'.

I'd be happy if pro-choicers were to give a good reason as to why it is justifiable to take someone elses life as a matter of choice. Instead what most tend to do is deny the fundamental reality that there is a human life in the womb from conception.

That's dishonesty.

philologos wrote: »
    I think his point is that if a foetus is defined as a child, one needs a good reason to claim that it is not a child. If one looks to the root of the word foetus, it actually means 'young one'.

I'd be happy if pro-choicers were to give a good reason as to why it is justifiable to take someone elses life as a matter of choice. Instead what most tend to do is deny the fundamental reality that there is a human life in the womb from conception.

That's dishonesty.

Taking someone else's life doesn't come into it. A fertilised egg is not life, is a human being. We all know this but some people cloud over the facts of life to make it sound like "abortion is murder."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Still being disingenuous I see.

No, it's the word according to the English reference dictionary, which is the accepted source for definitions of English words. For people interested in educated conversation at least.

It only becomes a fetus after 8 weeks. Before that it's an embryo which is just a fertilised egg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 BeautyFromPain

I don't like them but don't find them offensive

Taking someone else's life doesn't come into it.
    Well it does, depending on your perspective. The anti abortion lobby tend to be against abortion because they believe a life is at stake, not simply because they don't like choosing things - but you already know that.

It only becomes a fetus after 8 weeks. Before that it's an embryo which is just a fertilised egg.
    ...bearing in mind that my point was simply that those who refer to a fetus as a child are accurate in their use of language, what's your point caller? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

...bearing in mind that my point was simply that those who refer to a fetus as a child are accurate in their use of language, what's your point caller? :confused:

It's not only a fetus that the prolife crowd refer to as a child, the belief that it is a child from conception just isnt true.

• Advertisement

Taking someone else's life doesn't come into it. A fertilised egg is not life, is a human being. We all know this but some people cloud over the facts of life to make it sound like "abortion is murder."

Yes, it is a human life. Or are you suggesting a biological organism formed of sperm and ova can exhibit growth and development and not be alive?

It's not only a fetus that the prolife crowd refer to as a child, the belief that it is a child from conception just isnt true.
    ok, so are you saying then that you accept that a featus is a child? Or are you trying to imply because one isn't true neither is the other?

• Moderators Posts: 51,789 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Yes, it is a human life. Or are you suggesting a biological organism formed of sperm and ova can exhibit growth and development and not be alive?

the poster didn't say it wasn't human life, they used the term human being. Are you saying an embryo is a human being?

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    the poster didn't say it wasn't human life, they used the term human being. Are you saying an embryo is a human being?

koth: read the post. The poster said that the fertilized egg is not a human life. That isn't true.

Well it does, depending on your perspective. The anti abortion lobby tend to be against abortion because they believe a life is at stake, not simply because they don't like choosing things - but you already know that.

The logical ones know that it is a fertilised egg which may have the potential to become a live human under the right conditions. The religious nut jobs believe that god put the child inside mammy's tummy... I am not interested in debating science or real life issues with that bunch.

• Moderators Posts: 51,789 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

koth: read the post. The poster said that the fertilized egg is not a human life. That isn't true.

fasttalkerchat, can you clarify what you are saying in the post below?

my understanding is that you're saying that the embryo isn't a human being. Is this what you meant, or did you mean something else?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

"Abortions for some, Minature American flags for all!!!"

koth wrote: »
    fasttalkerchat, can you clarify what you are saying in the post below?

my understanding is that you're saying that the embryo isn't a human being. Is this what you meant, or did you mean something else?

Yea that's it.

The logical ones know that it is a fertilised egg which may have the potential to become a live human under the right conditions. The religious nut jobs ....
    :rolleyes: thinly veiled insults aside, all (opposing abortion) believe it is a life - hence the objections.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: thinly veiled insults aside, all (opposing abortion) believe it is a life - hence the objections.

No they don't. Some people believe all contraception is wrong but don't believe sperm to be small children!

Advertisement