Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find these billboards offensive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

LisaLee wrote: »
    I've spotted these billboard ads for Youth Defence popping up around the city centre, and personally find them offensive.

http://www.youthdefence.ie/am_cms_media/tears-billboard-mk2.jpg

Anyone I've spoken to about them doesn't like them, finds them offensive or emotionally manipulative and I've reported it to the ASAI (The Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland).

I wondered what the general public thought about these ads?

Personally, yeah I do.
    I guess because I am a woman.
    And the majority of replies from posters who are not I could bet are men.

Maybe add to your original post and poll choices the questions
    'I am offended as a woman' 'I am not offended as a woman' 'I am offended as a man' etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

prinz wrote: »
    ....you never see one saying "It's your decision, don't let anyone else make your mind up for you"?

You mean like this...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/22/cpadontbemanipulated.jpg/

:confused: It's been around a long time now.
    That's it though, they're meant to provoke a reaction, but I personally don't want to have to see this sort of thing every day so some group can push their personal agenda at me..

Have you ever complained about ads about littering, anti-racism, responsible drinking etc etc.?

That advertisement jumped to me the second I hit the post button, but I have only ever seen it in one or two bus shelters, never on a massive billboard in Dublin city centre.

It would be refreshing to see a large alternative billboard on display, simular to the "There is probably no God" ones in England.

xsiborg wrote: »
    my thoughts on it exactly!

the reason i say this is because around the time of the last abortion debate, i was after getting off a bus in nenagh and heading up to supermacs, when i saw a bunch gathered outside supermacs with posters up on lamp-posts of graphic images of aborted foetuses. it turned my stomach, so i went up to the local garda station and asked had they sought permission to stick up these posters. the garda told me that all they needed was one complaint, twenty minutes later the posters were taken down and the group were moved on.

Fair play to you. And to the Gardaí (for once).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Billboards of any kind offend me. Fooking american advertising culture making its way in. Good there are relatively few in Ireland at the minute

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You mean like this...

An ad telling you not to let yourself be manipulated. The periodic table doesn't have an element heavy enough for me to add -ic to and use as an adjective to describe that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

You mean like this...

Have you ever complained about ads about littering, anti-racism, responsible drinking etc etc.?

I have never lodged a complaint about any other ad before this. I can't remember any advertisement that has offended me on a personal level. I just find this particular campaign offensive and don't want to have to deal with blatant agenda pushing on my way in and out to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

This is what I find most offensive about it, the use of the word 'Always', it just doesn't sit well with me.
    Wow, you're offended because of the use of "always"? ...so you wouldn't have been as offended if it said "sometimes"? :confused:

I get the impression that you are really offended because there is an anti-abortion bill board erected, regardless of it's slogan.

That particular bill board doesn't offend me at all. Had it been like the images they tend to adorn their stands though, the ones with the "graphic pictures" - well that would offend the socks off me. They're offensive.

You seem easily offended. If you are so offended and against the ad why didn't you simply complain to the asai and not whinge about it here? Most people wouldn't have seen the ad if you hadn't posted it here.
    I've reported it to the ASAI (The Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland)
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

An ad telling you not to let yourself be manipulated. The periodic table doesn't have an element heavy enough for me to add -ic to and use as an adjective to describe that

lol, classic :D

csi vegas wrote: »
    Personally, yeah I do.
    I guess because I am a woman.
    And the majority of replies from posters who are not I could bet are men.

Maybe add to your original post and poll choices the questions
    'I am offended as a woman' 'I am not offended as a woman' 'I am offended as a man' etc?
    I hope you are not implying that men have any less of a say on the matter or that their opinions are some how of less regard? If you'd kindly clear that up, I as a father (to-be), would appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I have never lodged a complaint about any other ad before this. I can't remember any advertisement that has offended me on a personal level..

You haven't really explained why you are offended though? It's not graphic, no bad language, not insulting, etc etc.
    I just find this particular campaign offensive and don't want to have to deal with blatant agenda pushing on my way in and out to work.

Trying to get you to buy product X is agenda pushing.

It strikes me as odd that some of the posters "offended" by this would be the first to take the mickey out of someone offended by any other sort of advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

You haven't really explained why you are offended though? It's not graphic, no bad language, not insulting, etc etc.

Trying to get you to buy product X is agenda pushing.

It strikes me as odd that some of the posters "offended" by this would be the first to take the mickey out of someone offended by any other sort of advert.

Its scaremongering...that's offensive to some people. The idea that a woman who has an abortion will end up "torn apart" is untrue in a lot of cases. Many women have abortions and go on to live their lives as before, its unfair to suggest that having an abortion means you will be a basket case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    I don't know if I find them offensive, still trying to decide how I feel about them, but I don't agree with their slogan. Sometimes, there isn't a better answer.

To claim there's always a better answer isn't always true.

This is what I find most offensive about it, the use of the word 'Always', it just doesn't sit well with me.

I've never complained about an ad before, but this one is such an emotionally manipulative piece of advertising that I wanted to do something about it.

If by "offensive" you mean you disagree with the message then you have a point.

what do you mean when you say offensive, is the poster attacking you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Not really offensive, just emotionally manipulative bolllocks with no grounding in reason (as usual from pro-lifers)

Zulu wrote: »
    Wow, you're offended because of the use of "always"? ...so you wouldn't have been as offended if it said "sometimes"? :confused:

I get the impression that you are really offended because there is an anti-abortion bill board erected, regardless of it's slogan.

That particular bill board doesn't offend me at all. Had it been like the images they tend to adorn their stands though, the ones with the "graphic pictures" - well that would offend the socks off me. They're offensive.

By saying that "There's ALWAYS a better answer" pushes the idea that abortion is completely wrong, which their oganisation preaches. If it was changed to 'sometimes' then it completely changes the argument.

I have seen anti-abortion campaigns, protests etc. But they are not there every day, and I'm not stuck looking at them. Whereas by launching an advertising campaign which is advertised in buses, the luas and Busaras, you are stuck looking at them.

That's only one of the posters/billboards in this campaign, on their site they have this one too.
    http://www.youthdefence.ie/am_cms_media/babillboard-launch07.jpg

I don't like being targeted on my commute for some group's personal agenda, I find the wording offensive and the way in which it is emotionally manipulative. So to me, that is offensive. I know it may not offend everyone, c'est la vie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

To be honest, they're entitled to advance the view that abortion is a traumatic thing and try to say to people that there are better options. And I say that as someone who thinks it should be safe and legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

The word "always" is a massive tipping point with the presentation of these ads. By sticking that word in, you're essentially telling any woman that was raped and had an abortion that she is wrong. You're telling any woman who was told that giving birth could have a large chance of killing her and her child and had an abortion is wrong. You are telling any woman who had an abortion that had a falling out with a family member or friend is wrong no matter what the circumstance.

That one word changes the tone and the focus of the billboard greatly. If a group want to advertise their views then they have my support, once they word and display in a fair way. I may disagree with a billboard like that but I wouldnt look to have it removed. But by using a strong level of emotional manipulation I would look for it to be removed.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Its scaremongering...that's offensive to some people. The idea that a woman who has an abortion will end up "torn apart" is untrue in a lot of cases. Many women have abortions and go on to live their lives as before, its unfair to suggest that having an abortion means you will be a basket case.
    One womans scaremongering is another public safety message.
    It's equally untrue to suggest the many women breeze through the abortion process with little or no consequences!

I reckon it's disingenuous to suggest that the process isn't at least somewhat traumatic for most people.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think it's generally accepted that what companies and organisations put across in ads is not 100% reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

One womans scaremongering is another public safety message.
    It's equally untrue to suggest the many women breeze through the abortion process with little or no consequences!

I reckon it's disingenuous to suggest that the process isn't at least somewhat traumatic for most people.

I'm not saying its not but a woman in a crisis pregnancy doesn't need the message that she is going to end up a basket case if she has an abortion. Many women have abortions and come out the other side of it just fine. To say otherwise is wrong.

• Advertisement

I don't like being targeted on my commute for some group's personal agenda, ...
    That's your prerogative, but god help you come election time: you're in for some serious offensive material overload.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'm offended by people who have unprotected sex, end up pregnant and then take the easy option of killing the baby. I'm offended by people not taking responsibility for their actions.

Saying that...in cases of rape, especially involving very young teens, it's not so black and white.

In cases where birth control was used but failed...well tough. It's very unfortunate but doesn't justify the termination of a life.

I don't like being targeted on my commute for some group's personal agenda...

Lol. Invest in a bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Hello divorce, bye bye Daddy
    http://irishelectionliterature.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/hidivbyedad.jpg

Why do I remember that decades later. Was before the vote
    Must have been effective if I still remember it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm offended by people who have unprotected sex, end up pregnant and then take the easy option of killing the baby. I'm offended by people not taking responsibility for their actions..

Not having a child you can't give a good life to is taking responsibility; it's just an option you personally don't like

as for calling it "easy", you must be joking

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

they dont offend me but i dont agree with them. i am pro choice

I hope you are not implying that men have any less of a say on the matter or that their opinions are some how of less regard? If you'd kindly clear that up, I as a father (to-be), would appreciate it.

Well in a case where a woman has been rejected by the childs father due to pregnancy and is too fearful of facing a life alone as a single parent, struggling financially, emotionally etc, the constant reminder of who he is,
    all that he is missing out on etc
    and so usually the man has (nor should have) any say after he clearly states his cowardly intentions of not wanting the child.
    Why should he? He is abandoning two people after all.
    And in the case of the more 'responsible father' seeking 'solutions'
    you can be sure that it is he who suggests abortion in the first place and undoubtedly offers to pay for it...

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'm not saying its not but a woman in a crisis pregnancy doesn't need the message that she is going to end up a basket case if she has an abortion.
    I didn't get that from the ad. :confused:

That's your prerogative, but god help you come election time: you're in for some serious offensive material overload.

That's it though, I know there is going to be pamphlets and campaigns from both sides, but I'm not as worried about that. What I find offensive is the wording and the fact that this sort of emotionally charged content is emblazoned all around Dublin on large billboards and on public transport.

I wonder if the pro choice groups will be allowed rent out large advertising spaces to promote their argument and agenda?

• Advertisement

I wonder if the pro choice groups will be allowed rent out large advertising spaces to promote their argument and agenda?

If they are I plan on getting thoroughly offended and complaining to the ASAI........ what with their emotionally charged content and whatnot.

I suppose they could have gone Carlsberg on it, and used 'probably' instead of 'always'... but I have a suspicion you'd still be "offended".

Advertisement