Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find these billboards offensive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

csi vegas wrote: »
    Well in a case where a woman has been rejected by the childs father due to pregnancy and is too fearful of facing a life alone as a single parent, struggling financially, emotionally etc, the constant reminder of who he is,
    all that he is missing out on etc
    and so usually the man has (nor should have) any say after he clearly states his cowardly intentions of not wanting the child.
    Why should he? He is abandoning two people after all.
    And in the case of the more 'responsible father' seeking 'solutions'
    you can be sure that it is he who suggests abortion in the first place and undoubtedly offers to pay for it...
    ...and what percentage of the male population would that be? Would you consider it a tiny proportion hardly worth mentioning, or a proportion significant enough that you'd let it influence all mens voices on account if it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Zulu wrote: »
    I didn't get that from the ad. :confused:

Did you not? Interesting....

For me the "abortion tears her apart" tagline was screaming that loud and clear

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

A relatively tame advertisement. --> What a grave and offensive horror.

A few million killed for spurious reasons every year --> Meh, who cares? It's the parent's choice.

There's nothing really offensive about the ad. People are just looking for reasons to be offended.

prinz wrote: »
    If they are I plan on getting thoroughly offended and complaining to the ASAI........ what with their emotionally charged content and whatnot.
    If they do, I like Prinz, will be getting my knickers in an awful twist. Expect to see a thread here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I'm offended by people who have unprotected sex, end up pregnant and then take the easy option of killing the baby. I'm offended by people not taking responsibility for their actions.

Yeah! I mean, what if they just weren't such whores in the first place?
    Never thought of that, did they?

Bloody damnable harlots and strumpets....

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    Did you not? Interesting....
    It is isn't it. I didn't get "basket case" at all. I got emotional turmoil. I got heartache. I got traumatic. I did not get "basket case" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Not offended, seen one of them in bus aras and just thought, that really shouldn't be here

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I'm not saying its not but a woman in a crisis pregnancy doesn't need the message that she is going to end up a basket case if she has an abortion. Many women have abortions and come out the other side of it just fine. To say otherwise is wrong.

That would be my feeling on the subject as well. As someone who did choose a different answer (adoption) to an unplanned pregnancy I know first-hand how much of a basket case that choice can make someone.

It took me twenty years to get my life back on track (three years ago my broken heart finally felt ready to stop crucifying me) and a friend who had an abortion around the same time has never regretted her decision and her life hasn't been torn apart like mine was.

You never see posters saying "there's always an alternative, but you might just end up severely traumatised for two decades if you choose that one"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

PS: difference between "not liking" and being "offended" by an ad. And then of course the most important question - did it set out to CAUSE offence? Can't really see that it did tbh.

I certainly don't like it and think the message is stupid but to call it offensive;? I think that'd be going a bit far.

I'd love to know what their better answer is too, rather than just leave it at ... seems a bit smug to me.

It is isn't it. I didn't get "basket case" at all. I got emotional turmoil. I got heartache. I got traumatic. I did not get "basket case" though.

But thats what they think happens. I run a support group for women who have had abortions and one of my couterparts is very much prolife and thinks women who have abortions are destined to end up with mental health issues, some probably do but like life in general you have hard times and you deal with them and move on. Most women I know who have had abortions have been able to deal with it through counselling or support. I think if you are left to deal with it on your own it must be very hard to come to terms with.

But I am glad to see groups like YD finally seeing their previous tactics for what they were and taking a more gentle approach.

• Advertisement

LisaLee wrote: »
    That's it though, I know there is going to be pamphlets and campaigns from both sides...
    I was talking about a general election, you know FF, FG, SF, Lab all pushing their own agendas...

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

prinz wrote: »
    If they are I plan on getting thoroughly offended and complaining to the ASAI........ what with their emotionally charged content and whatnot.

I suppose they could have gone Carlsberg on it, and used 'probably' instead of 'always'... but I have a suspicion you'd still be "offended".

If the poster omitted 'always' and instead stated 'sometimes' then I don't think that would offend me. But I doubt that this particular group would edit the tagline. The 'abortion tears her life apart' line is an emotionally loaded line. I believe that anyone who has had an abortion will each have had a different experience and aftermath. By stating that there is 'ALWAYS' a better answer, it condemns those that have had abortions.

Also, how can you decide to complain to the ASAI for an advertisment that has not been made or advertised yet?

But thats what they think happens. I run a support group for women who have had abortions and one of my couterparts is....
    By "they" you mean your counterpart right? Or are you supposing to talk for all of "them"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The ISPCA ones that say things like "You little bastard" or "you little bitch" are worse than the one mentioned in the OP I think.

I was talking about a general election, you know FF, FG, SF, Lab all pushing their own agendas...

But they're not campaigning for abortion related issues, this one is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Personally, yeah I do.
    I guess because I am a woman.
    And the majority of replies from posters who are not I could bet are men.

Maybe add to your original post and poll choices the questions
    'I am offended as a woman' 'I am not offended as a woman' 'I am offended as a man' etc?
    Well in a case where a woman has been rejected by the childs father due to pregnancy and is too fearful of facing a life alone as a single parent, struggling financially, emotionally etc, the constant reminder of who he is,
    all that he is missing out on etc
    and so usually the man has (nor should have) any say after he clearly states his cowardly intentions of not wanting the child.
    Why should he? He is abandoning two people after all.
    And in the case of the more 'responsible father' seeking 'solutions'
    you can be sure that it is he who suggests abortion in the first place and undoubtedly offers to pay for it...

csi in fairness now, you're making some incredible assumptions in this thread.

if you want your opinion to be taken seriously, cut back on the disparaging generalisations against men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I wonder if the pro choice groups will be allowed rent out large advertising spaces to promote their argument and agenda?

Of course they will...why wouldn't they?
    What I find offensive is the wording and the fact that this sort of emotionally charged content is emblazoned all around Dublin on large billboards and on public transport.

In fairness, I don't think it should be illegal to present adverts or lobbying materials/propaganda that makes people uneasy or uncomfortable. It seems like you would not have been as upset if the same kind of "emotionally charged content" was used to further the pro-choice side of this argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

smash wrote: »
    The ISPCA ones that say things like "You little bastard" or "you little bitch" are worse than the one mentioned in the OP I think.

Or the ad where the guy was pretending to hit the child
    I say pretending because the acting was woeful
    apparently that made me a monster though
    it was sad, it would just have been more sad if they'd got good actors

i assume we do mean ispcc and "you little bitch" wasn't literal... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

If the poster omitted 'always' and instead stated 'sometimes' then I don't think that would offend me.

...but it would. You see you're reasoning for being offended by this ad is because you don't want to see some group pushing their agenda on the issue on you. So substitute 'probably' for 'always' what you'd still have a group promoting their 'agenda', so I don't see why you'd suddenly not be offended, because the main thrust of your complaint would still be valid.
    Also, how can you decide to complain to the ASAI for an advertisment that has not been made or advertised yet?

...perhaps because like you seem to have done, I'd take an ideological approach and complain about anything I don't personally agree with.

By "they" you mean your counterpart right? Or are you supposing to talk for all of "them"?

My counterpart works for SPUC, they work with YD at times, they are now working on moving away from the images of aborted babies of the past and are moving towards pushing the idea that abortion causes mental health issues. But as usual they have no solution to address it. The womens hurt website is another thing they have set up which just pushes that agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Yes I think they're offensive. They're preachy and look like something from my 90's, school religion book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

smash wrote: »

oh i think theyre brilliant ads. have you heard the radio versions of them? the little girl saying "i'm a thick, just a stupid little thick, cant do anything right" etc. Working in schools, I have heard so many parents talking to their kids like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

emzolita wrote: »
    They're preachy and look like something from my 90's, school religion book.

That said I've never know anyone to make a major life choice based on the advice displayed on a billboard.

Probably have more to do with groups like the youth defence needing to be seen to "do something" rather than actually affecting any kind of change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

If I'd ever impregnated someone who then had an abortion this ad would probably wreck my head. I haven't, and it has zero emotional resonance for me as it is, but I think it is very callous at best. I also disagree with the message itself.

I wonder how people woud react if there was an equivalent pro-choice campaign. "Unplanned children lead to high crime rates.* Abortion is a better answer," or "Overpopulation is killing the world. Abort your child now."

*Saw this in Freakonomics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The sentiment offends me as does the thought of the organization but not the billboards themselves.

That said I've never know anyone to make a major life choice based on the advice displayed on a billboard.

I started listening to Radio Nova, I don't know if that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Get a kickstarter together to fund a counter campaign of the same woman facing the other way with a big smile and the slogan "I changed my mind, that abortion actually saved my life. Hooray for choice!"

Of course they will...why wouldn't they?

In fairness, I don't think it should be illegal to present adverts or lobbying materials/propaganda that makes people uneasy or uncomfortable. It seems like you would not have been as upset if the same kind of "emotionally charged content" was used to further the pro-choice side of this argument.

The reason I ask, is because abortion is still illegal in Ireland and would contravene the first rule of the ASAI, that the content must be legal. I'm not sure if they would in fact be able to advertise.
    ...but it would. You see you're reasoning for being offended by this ad is because you don't want to see some group pushing their agenda on the issue on you. So substitute 'probably' for 'always' what you'd still have a group promoting their 'agenda', so I don't see why you'd suddenly not be offended, because the main thrust of your complaint would still be valid.

However, the use of the word 'always' condemns those who have had abortions. It would change the meaning of their argument, instead of condemning abortion as a whole, it would encourage people to stop and think about it. By stating that there is 'always a better option' removes that option. This group won't change the wording as they are staunchly anti-abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

...and what percentage of the male population would that be? Would you consider it a tiny proportion hardly worth mentioning, or a proportion significant enough that you'd let it influence all mens voices on account if it?

I'm not generalising in the example I gave - I'm saying "in the case of...".
    But if to do so then yeah, I'm sure there's quite a massive number of such cases (more than anyone would ever admit to in some anonymous survey) but as for "letting it influence all mens voices on account of it" - again I was being specific.

Here's how it is - there are four types of scenario where a woman might consider abortion - rape, risk to a woman's life or the child,
    a very young girl, just a child herself or an unbearable fear of the struggles ahead facing life as a single mother combined with childs father/family/friends often very powerful influence towards abortion on a woman who is already very confused, frightened and vunerable.

It is a rare occurence that a woman who is in a secure, loving relationship will choose a termination. Only in this case (rare as I say) should a man have any input.
    At the end of the day it is the woman's body, emotions and likely lifelong guilt that she has to live with.
    A man will never experience the same turmoil.

• Advertisement

The reason I ask, is because abortion is still illegal in Ireland and would contravene the first rule of the ASAI, that the content must be legal. I'm not sure if they would in fact be able to advertise..

They wouldn't be offering illegal services though. Being 'pro-choice' is not illegal, nor is publicising that position. So advertising a pro-choice argument is not illegal whatsoever.
    This group won't change the wording as they are staunchly anti-abortion.

Which is the real reason you pretend to be offended.

Advertisement