Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you find these billboards offensive?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

If these anti abortion people like kids so much why cant they advertise in print media where kids wont see them. Mammy what's abortion?
    No I dont like them for this reason, they should use some other way of advertising.

Ah yes, "mammy mammy look what he's doing, dont look at what I'm doing!"

Shenshen wrote: »
    The ad in question clearly and obvioysly states "There is ALWAYS a better option".
    It does not say "There most likely is a better option", it says always. No qualifier.

As you pointed out, elective abortion currently is illegal here, so we have to assume that the women meant to be addressed by this ad are the ones considering abortion for medical reasons.[/QUOTE]

or the ones travelling to the UK for them???

Your last one is ok!

I don't work in marketing either but i would have shortened it down to "there could be a better answer".
    I think it has a nicer, softer ring to it. After all we are dealing with people going through a traumatic time, probably no point being dicks about it, is there!

I dont agree that people are being "dicks" about it. I notice that a lot of people who disagree with pro-lifers seem to think it is ok to throw around insults just because they do not agree. It's fine to disagree but that doesn't give you the right to insult others. Not to mention the fact that it actually takes from the argument. When I see someones post referring to people's opinions as "drone" I immediately lose respect for the person as I feel if they need to resort to insulting others, their arguments must be fairly lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Would your poster be, "abortion, there is always a better answer..unless you are one of the very small percentage of women who must undergo a termination in order to save her life"

How about taking a lesson from the good old highly offensive atheist slogan "There probably is no god" and make the slogan "There probably is a better option"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

You gotta be pretty sick in the head to be 'offended' by that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Zulu wrote: »
    Indeed, their opinions is stupider. ...of course they'd say the same of your opinion so it cancels out really.

Um excuse me but I never once said the person who made the advertisement's opinion is stupid? I said the way in which the person who made the advertisement put their OPINION on a billboard as if it's a fact is stupid. And I also never once stated my own opinion on abortion so I don't know what you even think you read.

It is a fact that there is not ALWAYS a better option than abortion. That's not my opinion, it's how it is. I said that it's stupid for somebody to suggest such a thing as I can name cases where there was in fact no better choice than abortion. That's not to say that in some cases, there aren't better choices, 'cause there are. But that's what I was saying in the first place.. Not once have I mentioned my personal opinion on the matter, I don't think it's relevant. ''Stupider'' is not a word, by the way. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but most of us don't go putting it up on a billboard for the world to see, as if it's a fact. That's what the person who made this did. They put up their OPINION on a billboard as if it's a fact.. And it's not a fact. Once again, never mentioned
    my own opinion. Don't know where you're getting that from. Perhaps brush up on your comprehending skills.

Shenshen wrote: »
    How about taking a lesson from the good old highly offensive atheist slogan "There probably is no god" and make the slogan "There probably is a better option"?

What's offensive about the atheist slogan? Whether you believe in God or not, if you have strength enough in your own beliefs, they wont be so easily threatened by a poster in a train station! Similarly, if people think abortion is so great, why are they "taking offence" because a poster somewhere on some billboard says it's not? Do they have such little faith in their own values that they feel threatened when someone disagrees??

I dont know if I believe in God, but I would like to and am always trying to find ways to make myself believe, and I firmly believe that in 99% of cases, abortion is wrong and avoidable and generally bad for everyone involved... you could put a billboard on my house saying, "anyone who wishes to believe in God is an imbecile who cannot think for themselves and anyone opposed to abortion is a misogynistic airhead with no clue about the real world" - I wouldnt be remotely offended because I have strength enough in my own convictions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Taking offence at something is an emotional response. If you consider it you could decide that your emotional response is not entirely appropriate.

I am offended by that billboard ad with the two oranges on it, I can't even remember the slogan or what it is for - a soft drink I imagine. I am not offended enough, or even convinced that my offence is reasonable enough to object to it.

I don't agree with Youth Defence's arguments, and I am pro-choice, but I am not offended by that ad, I don't find it manipulative and I am inclined to agree that having an abortion would cause distress. It isn't something to take on lightly, but that doesn't mean it should not be available at all.

I find the vast majority of billboard type advertising banal, unmemorable, untidy in the streetscape, cluttering and unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

It doesn't matter what I believe. I've answered this very question earlier.
    It could very well be a lie. It is not however, a fact.

If it can not be proven, it is not a fact. Simples.

That's pretty much their feeling on the matter. It's their opinion & they're entitled to it.

I think in your eagerness, you are mixing up "cannot be proven" with "can be disproven" they are very different things. What it says on the add can be disproven - meaning the add is wrong.
    I dont agree that people are being "dicks" about it. I notice that a lot of people who disagree with pro-lifers seem to think it is ok to throw around insults just because they do not agree. It's fine to disagree but that doesn't give you the right to insult others. Not to mention the fact that it actually takes from the argument. When I see someones post referring to people's opinions as "drone" I immediately lose respect for the person as I feel if they need to resort to insulting others, their arguments must be fairly lacking.

Your entitled to your opinion, some people even go to the bother of hiring billboards to tell others what their opinion is. Mine is that the people behind this campaign are liars and are also being dicks.
    I dont know if I believe in God, but I would like to and am always trying to find ways to make myself believe, and I firmly believe that in 99% of cases, abortion is wrong and avoidable and generally bad for everyone involved... :)

Do you not think it's ALWAYS wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

What's offensive about the atheist slogan? Whether you believe in God or not, if you have strength enough in your own beliefs, they wont be so easily threatened by a poster in a train station! Similarly, if people think abortion is so great, why are they "taking offence" because a poster somewhere on some billboard says it's not? Do they have such little faith in their own values that they feel threatened when someone disagrees??

I dont know if I believe in God, but I would like to and am always trying to find ways to make myself believe, and I firmly believe that in 99% of cases, abortion is wrong and avoidable and generally bad for everyone involved... you could put a billboard on my house saying, "anyone who wishes to believe in God is an imbecile who cannot think for themselves and anyone opposed to abortion is a misogynistic airhead with no clue about the real world" - I wouldnt be remotely offended because I have strength enough in my own convictions :)

The atheist slogan aimed to be as inoffensive as possible, yet people were offended. To the point that companies renting advertising space refused to display it.

I am not offended by people considering abortion to be wrong. It's their opinion, their choice.
    What I take exception to is a group of people proclaiming a demnstrably incorrect statement in an advertisement.
    In that respect, I prefer the guys with the pictures of late-term medical abortions on O'Connell Street, they are a tad less dishonest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Border-Rat wrote: »
    You gotta be pretty sick in the head to be 'offended' by that.

I'm wondering what people take "offended" to mean. There seems to be a lot of outrage that people claim to be offended. If I look at the billboard and I think "for f*ck's sake, how condascending, what a narrow-minded view" and be irritated when I see it, I suppose I'd describe that as being offended. It doesn't mean I'm going to complain, even mention it to anyone else, or throw a hissy fit about it. As Looksee said, it's an emotional repsonse. Why are people getting so upset when another person says they find something offensive. As Stephen Fry said "so what". Yeah, so what? I don't want anyone to do anything about it, I can be quietly offended if I like :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I think in your eagerness, you are mixing up "cannot be proven" with "can be disproven"...
    No, I'm not. Facts are provable. If it can not be proven, it is not a fact.

Malari wrote: »
    I'm wondering what people take "offended" to mean. There seems to be a lot of outrage that people claim to be offended. If I look at the billboard and I think "for f*ck's sake, how condascending, what a narrow-minded view" and be irritated when I see it, I suppose I'd describe that as being offended. It doesn't mean I'm going to complain, even mention it to anyone else, or throw a hissy fit about it. As Looksee said, it's an emotional repsonse. Why are people getting so upset when another person says they find something offensive. As Stephen Fry said "so what". Yeah, so what? I don't want anyone to do anything about it, I can be quietly offended if I like :confused:

I'm kind of with you.
    I find the add "offensive", for want of a better word. I wouldn't bother complaining though, apart from on here:D!
    I do however find the way it's put across to be dishonest and deliberately confrontational and judgemental - but sure what else would you really expect from that shower?
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when you start claiming on billboards around the city that your opinion is ALWAYS right - you're just showing yourself up for the muppet that you are really.

No, I'm not. Facts are provable. If it can not be proven, it is not a fact.

I think i'll just call it a day on this one.
    It's certainly not a fact, we agree on that much. It is being presented as one though and hiding behind a dictionary isn't going to change that. It's dishonest and it's underhanded and it's exactly what I have come to expect from this fine upstanding group of moral guardians.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

It is being presented as one though and hiding behind a dictionary isn't going to change that.
    It's not about "hiding behind" anything; its about being accurate, which ironically, is what your original gripe is about!

You and Shenshen are the claiming they're presenting it as a "fact", which isn't true. Most people accept that it's not an actual fact, but rather their opinion.

I think in your eagerness, you are mixing up "cannot be proven" with "can be disproven" they are very different things. What it says on the add can be disproven - meaning the add is wrong.

Your entitled to your opinion, some people even go to the bother of hiring billboards to tell others what their opinion is. Mine is that the people behind this campaign are liars and are also being dicks.

Do you not think it's ALWAYS wrong?

When you call someone a dick you are either mistakenly believing that they are, in fact, a male appendage or you are insulting them. There is no in between. Putting a "my opinion is-" disclaimer before an insult does not mean it is not an insult. I dont agree with pro-choicers...but I dont think they are dicks...or any part of the male anatomy..or any other insult. I just think they do not agree with me.

I dont think abortion as a result of medical intervention to save a womans life is wrong.

Do you think abortion is always right?

When you call someone a dick you are either mistakenly believing that they are, in fact, a male appendage or you are insulting them. There is no in between. Putting a "my opinion is-" disclaimer before an insult does not mean it is not an insult. I dont agree with pro-choicers...but I dont think they are dicks...or any part of the male anatomy..or any other insult. I just think they do not agree with me.

I dont think abortion as a result of medical intervention to save a womans life is wrong.

Do you think abortion is always right?

Putting a "my opinion is" does not stop it being an insult, but it does make it an opinion. My opinion is that, in the case of this billboard, the person or persons behind it are, in this particular instance being dicks. No more and no less. If anyone want's to take that as an insult, then they may do so, it's still what i think. It's not as if i'm putting up billboards proclaiming it to all and sundry.
    Of course i don't think abortion is always right, but it's also not always wrong as you've already agreed. The billboard states it's ALWAYS wrong.

Putting a "my opinion is" does not stop it being an insult, but it does make it an opinion. My opinion is that, in the case of this billboard, the person or persons behind it are, in this particular instance being dicks. No more and no less. If anyone want's to take that as an insult, then they may do so, it's still what i think. It's not as if i'm putting up billboards proclaiming it to all and sundry.
    Of course i don't think abortion is always right, but it's also not always wrong as you've already agreed. The billboard states it's ALWAYS wrong.

Really? that makes it an opinion? nothing gets past you ;) Why did you bother specifying that it was an opinion then? If not to negate some predicted offence? It's like people who say, "I'm not a racist but..." or "I'm not homophobic but..." they usually follow uf their disclaimer with a racist or homophobic comment.

Nothing wrong with taking being called a dick as insulting.. and I may be forgiven I suppose for taking offence, in light of the fact that so many people on here are "offended" by other people having a different view. Taking offence - sure we're all at it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

There is nothing whatsoever graphic about these posters. Its utterly ridiculous that one could find such mild advertising offensive. If someone's opinion offends you, your an intolerant person full stop.

The fact that some pro-abortion groups are encouraging people to deface the billboards speaks volumes of the intolerance and underhand tactics that characterises the pro-abortion lobby.

robp wrote: »
    There is nothing whatsoever graphic about these posters. Its utterly ridiculous that one could find such mild advertising offensive. If someone's opinion offends you, your an intolerant person full stop.

The fact that some pro-abortion groups are encouraging people to deface the billboards speaks volumes of the intolerance and underhand tactics that characterises the pro-abortion lobby.
    I cant believe they are encouraging people to do this? How silly...and will not solve anything. I dont think extremes ever serve their cause well (I am pro life but I include the fanatics in this too) I have as little time for poster wielding lunatics at college green as I have for crazies who deface posters just for the sake of it. It is "extremes" that create a bad name for their cause (regardless of what side of the fence that cause may be on)

• Advertisement

It's not about "hiding behind" anything; its about being accurate, which ironically, is what your original gripe is about!

Accuracy?

X is ALWAYS better than Y.

When you read a statement like the one above. What is x's relationship to y?
    Is it sometimes better? usually better? probably better? possibly better? Or is it in fact without doubt, unquestionably, infallibly better. Is there even a teeny, tiny, possibility that x could be, in some infinitismal way inferior to y, in some absolutely bizzare set of circumstances? Or is it's superiority absolutely, unconditionaly guaranteed?
    Do you perhaps not understand what the word always means?

Really? that makes it an opinion? nothing gets past you ;)Why did you bother specifying that it was an opinion then? If not to negate some predicted offence? It's like people who say, "I'm not a racist but..." or "I'm not homophobic but..." they usually follow uf their disclaimer with a racist or homophobic comment.

Is that not self explanatory? It's to set it apart from a statement of fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I cant believe they are encouraging people to do this? How silly...and will not solve anything. I dont think extremes ever serve their cause well (I am pro life but I include the fanatics in this too) I have as little time for poster wielding lunatics at college green as I have for crazies who deface posters just for the sake of it. It is "extremes" that create a bad name for their cause (regardless of what side of the fence that cause may be on)

Defacing was suggested on facebook pages by followers. I have already seen defaced examples. This is the kind of nasty pro-choice behavior that goes on behind the scenes far more than is usually acknowledged.

Defacing was suggested on facebook pages by followers. I have already seen defaced examples. This is the kind of nasty pro-choice behavior that goes on behind the scenes far more than is usually acknowledged.

Well yes thats true. People are always banging on about the couple fo freaks at college green holding photographs pictures of aborted babies, but we never hear about the fanatics from the other side...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Yes, defacing a billboard is disgusting and nasty... Way more disgusting and nasty than walking down Grafton st holding up a sign which has a photo of a dead baby on it. That's exactly what I want my 6yr old to see... :rolleyes:

Is that not self explanatory? It's to set it apart from a statement of fact.

Tbh I dont think anyone on here needs you to specify that "pro-lifers are dicks" is an opinion as opposed to a fact... what a low opinion of other posters you must have! ;)

smash wrote: »
    Yes, defacing a billboard is disgusting and nasty... Way more disgusting and nasty than walking down Grafton st holding up a sign which has a photo of a dead baby on it. That's exactly what I want my 6yr old to see... :rolleyes:

Two wrongs do not make a right, and its not a competition to see who is "less nasty"...or if it HAS descended into that type of point scoring ("my cause is better than yours because your fanatics are more fanatical than my fanatics") then its time to back slowly out of the thread...

Two wrongs do not make a right, and its not a competition to see who is "less nasty"...or if it HAS descended into that type of point scoring ("my cause is better than yours because your fanatics are more fanatical than my fanatics") then its time to back slowly out of the thread...
    I'm making a point. You can not say someone is nasty for defacing a billboard considering what the other side are doing.

smash wrote: »
    I'm making a point. You can not say someone is nasty for defacing a billboard considering what the other side are doing.
    We're all making points :)

I think you will find I did consider what the other "side" were doing. In fact I went so far as to say that I have little time for fanatics on EITHER side.

• Advertisement

We're all making points :)

I think you will find I did consider what the other "side" were doing. In fact I went so far as to say that I have little time for fanatics on EITHER side.
    I think it's hilarious that people consider defacing an advertisement as "nasty pro-choice behavior". Nasty my ass.

Advertisement