Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3Gs doesn't see sim after 5.1.1 update

• 15-06-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hey,

I just got my 3Gs unlocked via o2, they said to update my phone to the latest version to complete the unlock process but my phone won't read any sim card I use to try activate it :(

How to I fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Did the phone activate?

When you went through the startup screens did it activate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sim works fine my my friends 3gs.
    If this is the unlock that o2 gets apple to do you need to connect device to itunes for the unlock to happen. And it could be a while before request is actioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

biko wrote: »
    Sim works fine my my friends 3gs.
    If this is the unlock that o2 gets apple to do you need to connect device to itunes for the unlock to happen. And it could be a while before request is actioned.

Yes this unlock is done via iTunes. The problem is the 3Gs won't read the sim to activate the phone first so I can complete the unlock.

So it won't even read the 02 sim that was used before?
    What ios was it on before you updated to 5.1.1?

What is the exact phrasing of the error message?

Btw you could try doing a restore in itunes. Does itunes see phone when plugged in?

So it won't even read the 02 sim that was used before?
    What ios was it on before you updated to 5.1.1?

What is the exact phrasing of the error message?

Btw you could try doing a restore in itunes. Does itunes see phone when plugged in?

Correct. It was on 4.3.5 previously.

This is the message shown with my o2 simcard inside;

http://oi49.tinypic.com/345hqpi.jpg

Yeah I restored it thinking it may have been an error in the update but no, still the same problem after a 2nd restore. :(

• Advertisement

Ok to continue troubleshooting:
    After restore, did it say that the phone is now unlocked or activated (as apeking asked)?

Try to reset it using the phone itself
    Warning: This will removal all data, music, photos, everything, from the iPhone.
    Launch “Settings” and tap on “General”
    Scroll to the bottom of General and tap on “Reset”
    Tap on “Erase All Content and Settings”.

Ok to continue troubleshooting:
    After restore, did it say that the phone is now unlocked or activated (as apeking asked)?

Try to reset it using the phone itself
    Warning: This will removal all data, music, photos, everything, from the iPhone.
    Launch “Settings” and tap on “General”
    Scroll to the bottom of General and tap on “Reset”
    Tap on “Erase All Content and Settings”.

Nah, unfortunately it needs to be activated first before the unlock is done or to even use it at all.

I've also tried activating it via WiFi but it keeps giving me an error that it can't connect to the activation server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

when I unlocked my 3gs they told me to make sure there was no sim in it when i was doing it... did you try it without a sim?

when I unlocked my 3gs they told me to make sure there was no sim in it when i was doing it... did you try it without a sim?

It's irrelevant really as it's not seeing a simcard in it anyway. :(

Any chance did you jailbreak the pone before hand or use your computer to jailbreak?

• Advertisement

apeking wrote: »
    Any chance did you jailbreak the pone before hand or use your computer to jailbreak?

Yes. Why? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

That's very unusual, i'd try putting the phone in dfu mode and restoring again

Is the phone jailbroken now? You could click the hacktivate option in redsn0w. I had a similar issue and it was due to me using a custom firmware.

Id try use a different pc/laptop and a clean restore

Ok so I downgrade it to 4.1 jailbroke it then unlocked it, still won't see and simcard. So it must be a hardware problem. Aw well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Phil92

I did the exact same thing to myself today, from what I can make out on other forums, the OS update can "relock" your phone. This wouldn't be a problem, but when the phone detects an invalid SIM it locks the SIM-card reader, permanently. So the phone is basically bricked.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Phil92

Update: went into one of those places on Moore Street and got it fixed. Took over an hour and cost 20 quid, but it's fully functional now

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pcurepairs

I have found solution to activate with my o2 sim card on 5.1.1, should work for many other carries, check http://american-seven.blogspot.com/ my iphone now working perfectly on 5.1.1. Hope this helps

Advertisement