Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cao - would ucd be considered a better college than maynooth to employers?

• 15-06-2012 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

i want to do something like business and law.
    which college would be better?
    ive heard great things about maynooth *small, personal, easy to make friends*
    but not so many about ucd *too big majority of people etc*
    so i think i want to put maynooth first
    but would a future employer prefer one degree over the other, say if two people arrived with 1:1 to an interview , one from maynooth and another from ucd, would they necessarily choose the person from ucd over maynooth just because of a college they went to?
    any help appreciated ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I dont see how it should matter if you have your degree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Would Oxford be considered a better University to somewhere else (not Cambridge)???

I would choose UCD before Maynooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Personal qualities and previous experience would probably be more important in an interview than which exact uni you went to :) UCD and NUIM are very close in terms of reputation anyways. I wouldn't worry about it, go to which one looks like it has the better course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Would Oxford be considered a better University to somewhere else (not Cambridge)???

Actually I believe NUI Maynooth is one of the top educational facilities in Ireland, if not the best. They were the only University EVER to be included in the Princeton Review of Top Colleges outside of North America and also their Lecturers have the highest PhD rate out of any college in Ireland. NUIM is certainly coming up the ranks in the Irish Education system in the last number of years, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

When it comes down to it, if you had the same grade they are probably going to choose the person from UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

_Bella_ wrote: »
    When it comes down to it, if you had the same grade they are probably going to choose the person from UCD.

What makes you say that? Are you basing it on experience or is it purely your own opinion?

To answer the OP, I have a degree from Maynooth and a masters from UCD. I have to say that in my experience it matters very little where your degree is from your grade is far more important.
    Also different departments within the universities would have different reputations so it can depend on what subjects you're going to do.
    In terms of the two colleges my own preference would definitely be for Maynooth - I found it to be much more personal and easier to get things done. The bureaucracy in UCD drove me mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Actually I believe NUI Maynooth is one of the top educational facilities in Ireland, if not the best. They were the only University EVER to be included in the Princeton Review of Top Colleges outside of North America and also their Lecturers have the highest PhD rate out of any college in Ireland. NUIM is certainly coming up the ranks in the Irish Education system in the last number of years, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it!

Absolutely agree! People are very quick to run down NUIM because it might not have to reputation of other Universities! Well, as mentioned it didn't recently beat UCD and TCD in world rankings for nothing! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭lolabearxx

oh i want to go to maynooth over ucd because of the course and just the college in general, but i was just interested to see if colleges you went to necessarily matter :) because i know that degrees from ucd are very good too, just needed to see if they were necessarily better! thanks for all the help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

A few years ago i might have said ucd but now maynooth has just as good rep as ucd , i don't think they would be bias and i do agree i know many people that went to ucd and found it very big, harder to make friends there, very impersonal . in my opinion (i'm sure you have researched both courses)often there are a few variations between colleges, i would choose by the course and not the college as these two have fairly equal status

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I've heard employers look more towards what work experience you have once you have the degree rather than which college it's from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

If it's a business subject then I'd go with UCD. AFAIK UCD has the best business school in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Regarding business I was told at an open day a year ago that UCD is the only university in Ireland who's business degree is recognised in the USA.

(think its the smurfitt school or something in UCD)

You might want to check that out if you're planning on working over there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

In fairness, what you do after your degree matters so much more than the degree itself. A lot of specific jobs nowadays (like psychology for example) don't care about your degree, they want to see your post grad stuff.

Just put down Maynooth. Your happiness is more important than where you went to college.

And just for any of those who may have been doubting Maynooth's International reputation when compared with the likes of TCD/UCD. NUIM ranked 3rd highest in the World in a Survey of Colleges in 36 Countries around the world yesterday. Being the only Irish University to make it into the top 10. :)

http://international.nuim.ie/news-and-events/news/nui-maynooth-ranked-third-world-overall-and-first-ireland-overall-major-survey

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Iony94

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

UCD would be far superior to Maynooth, to employers, without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Are you trying to actually compare UCD to Oxford, or just making some sort of analogy? Either way, it doesn't work; Ireland has seven universities, the UK has 100+ so there's obviously more variation in standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

_Bella_ wrote: »

Because in general it will have been harder to get the grade in UCD then Maynooth because there is a higher calibre of students in UCD.

Namlub wrote: »

Are you trying to actually compare UCD to Oxford, or just making some sort of analogy? Either way, it doesn't work; Ireland has seven universities, the UK has 100+ so there's obviously more variation in standard.

My point is not all universities are of the same standard.

In my opinion UCD would be looked upon as being of a higher standard than Maynooth - my opinion!!!

In my opinion UCD would be looked upon as being of a higher standard than Maynooth - my opinion!!!

What grounds are you basing your assumption on? I find it difficult to understand why one University would be considered "a higher standard" than another?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

What grounds are you basing your assumption on? I find it difficult to understand why one University would be considered "a higher standard" than another?
    Research output, standards, reputation and reputation in industry are the main things. Student satisfaction with a course while a reasonable way for students to pick a college isn't what employers would base their opinions on.

In the QS University Rankings 2011
    Trinity College Dublin #65
    University College Dublin #134
    University College Cork #181
    NUI Galway #298
    Dublin City University #326
    Dublin Institute of Technology #401-450
    University of Limerick #451-500
    NUI Maynooth #501-550

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Oh dear, does NUIG even come into it?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Sorry, I missed NUIG first time around. They're #298 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

DIT :D

Yeah, I got that. My point is, Ireland simply doesn't have the disparity between universities that exists in the UK so I have no idea where you're going with the Oxford thing.

Yeah, I got that. My point is, Ireland simply doesn't have the disparity between universities that exists in the UK so I have no idea where you're going with the Oxford thing.

Agree to disagree :-/

Is Trinity a better standard than Maynooth??? Yes!!

Is UCD better than Maynooth - I think so.

If you got 625 points in the LC this year where would you choose to spend your hard earned points???

"Spend my hard-earned points"? What?

Agree to disagree then.

Advertisement