Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-fiction about life in Japan

Options
  • 15-06-2012 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend interesting non-fiction either set in Japan, or based on some aspect of Japanese culture?

Two examples that I enjoyed are:
    • Haruki Murakami - Underground [About Sarin gas attack on the Tokyo subway]
    • Niall Murtagh - Blue eyed salaryman [Life in corporate Japan]

Thanks

ps. I'm not looking for travel books.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I read a book called Hokkaido Highway Blues a couple of years ago, and remember enjoying it quite a bit. The author Will Ferguson decides to travel from the southernmost tip of Kyushu right up to Cape Soya in northern Hokkaido, following the cherry blossom front. Of course he gets picked up by all sorts of odd people, runs into problems and has mini adventures along the way. His honest writing style doesn't over-do typical cliches about Japan but rather gives an honest account of the gaijin experience quite clearly, and articulates some of the many curious paradoxes of Japanese culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

not quite non-fiction but an interesting study of Japanese culture of the post war period you could take a look at the work of Mishima http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukio_Mishima

Advertisement