Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First attempt at street photography - c&c

• 15-06-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi

I took the plunge last month and decided to give street photography a go. It was more nerve-wracking than I thought but after I while I felt it got a bit easier. I would love any feedback on these images and tips about what I can do next time to get better results.

Thanks!
    (p.s. for the one of the couple kissing I did ask their permission to take their photo before they kissed!! In case anyone thinks I'm a weirdo :) )

7374269132_48bd6db149.jpg
    IMG_6822 by jaryan04, on Flickr
    7189034817_4e5ee2d20d.jpg
    IMG_6872 by jaryan04, on Flickr
    7189034951_4525b7ebcd.jpg
    IMG_6867 by jaryan04, on Flickr
    7374269536_e756db396f.jpg
    IMG_6853 by jaryan04, on Flickr
    7374269738_698fa5ae0b.jpg
    IMG_6851 by jaryan04, on Flickr
    7374269954_0fe724229d.jpg
    IMG_6825 by jaryan04, on Flickr

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Firstly let me say well done on giving it a go. It's not the easiest thing to do and it can be scary, especially when you are alone.
    Taking photographs in the street is not necessarily "Street Photography" and what you've done here is a combination of semi candid portraiture and touristy snapshots. You need to work on your composition as the first two shots have lots of dead space above the subjects and it's very distracting.
    The first shot of the busker is just too busy and there is nothing of interest in the shot. There is potential when there are people and buskers together and you just need to hang around and try anticipate some interaction from the passers-by.
    The second shot of the guy smoking also has some potential but all you've done is taken a head shot and the is nothing going on around him to give him context. As I said earlier the big white space above his head is a total distraction.
    The third shot is just a nice candid portrait and is not street photography.
    The kissing couple is good but I'm not sure if you captured them at the right moment. They have a peculiar awkward look about them - maybe they were just conscious of you with your camera.
    The last one of the busker again is just a snap of a busker, and not a particularly good one either. His head is down and he's not interacting with the public - nor is there anyone else in the frame interacting with him.

Again, fair play to you for giving it a go and for posting your work. Keep at it, you will only improve. Watch out for situations developing and try anticipate them. Pick a spot, stand and observe and eventually something will come by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

Thanks for your feedback pullandbang, really helpful suggestions esp the composition. I can see what you mean now about the dead space, and actually interesting that they're more candid than street.
    Prob a stupid question then, but what is street? Is it more that people aren't posing for you?

I think the problem was - especially with the kissing one! - that once I asked could I take their photo I did it as quickly as possible and then got out of there! So I should have spent more time and paid more attention to what I was taking a picture of. Only 2 people said no when I asked them. The reason I asked instead of just taking was because I was afraid people might get annoyed.. how do you get around that or do you just go for it?

Thanks again for your reply :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Street photography, to me anyway, is capturing a single moment in time, undisturbed, as it happens. For me it's about being as unobtrusive as possible and sometimes waiting for that moment to happen. Be prepared to walk a lot. Basically street photography is all about being in the right place at the right time and not disturbing the subject as they go about their business.

Stick with one camera setting, because if you start messing about and adjusting you could miss a great shot.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Taking photographs in the street is not necessarily "Street Photography" and what you've done here is a combination of semi candid portraiture and touristy snapshots.

Exactly.

what did you shoot with out of interest?

• Advertisement

Thanks again guys, I'm looking forward to trying it again totally annonymous this time!

Glasso I have a 7d and I used the kit lens which is 28-135mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Your focal length is pretty important I think. There are no rules to say you have to use a wide angle lens but using a wide angle will get you the best shots if you are close enough it will look the most realistic.

I'm guessing you used a longer lens for these shots? That's just going to make it all look close together and squashed when in reality street photography is like seeing what your eyes see?

Work on your composition like pullandbang said. Keep an eye for interesting signs and wait for people to walk past. Simple things like people unloading a lorry or carrying something large covering part of their body.

It's a lot of luck and waiting around.

Here are some photos I grabbed of google.. Don't sue me for copyright guys :p

1269045535_ec6be97c1e.jpg

26.jpg

leicam9streetphotographyimages03.jpg

30.jpg

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Thank you dasftw, I can see what you mean and the pictures really explain it too. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Try to move away from the standrard "street" shots most people think are "street shots" These generally include buskers (because they are easy and don't mind their photo being taken), homeless people (a social arguement waiting to happen but they are usually easily "bought" for their image and long lens shots.

Long lens shots are the easiest option of allowing you to get close to someone you don't know but, I don't know. They seem weak and overdone. I know some people on here love there long lens shots of people jogging by the canal with almost the same framing and composition EVERY time. It's easy. Ok its your first time so you want to get stuck in so easy might be a good thing. Street photography for me is shooting what people are doing in the street at any given time and not being able to contrive it....just shoot it as you see it. It can be quite difficult, it takes time and patience but its worth it when you get the results.

Street photography can be hit or miss. a lot of people think protests and demos will be really good for it. The truth is, people get the same generic pics from events like this.

It's more about having a camera at the right time and place and being quick enough to shoot it.

Now...all thing aside your images are pretty good, well exposed, nicely framed and nothing wrong with them. Just get out more and be more brave and get stuck in more, a bit more in your face. Take the chances you think you can't take. Thats what makes good street photography.

Have a look at the stuff other street togs do. My favourite is Felix Lupa - his stuff is just awesome. http://www.felixlupa.com/gallery_preview.asp?id=60&imgId=1

• Advertisement

Thank you Pete really helpful feedback, much appreciated. I'll have to get braver and lurk around more than the last time! It's such an interesting topic though. What lens would you prefer to use if you're not a fan of the zoom ones? Just out of interest.

Thanks pullandbang - his stuff is amazing alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Everyone loves the nifty fifty!
    I tend to use a 70-300 a lot though, but mainly at 70mm. But when I'm not using htat I'll use a 50mm or 135mm prime, depending on my mood.

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Everyone loves the nifty fifty!
    I tend to use a 70-300 a lot though, but mainly at 70mm. But when I'm not using htat I'll use a 50mm or 135mm prime, depending on my mood.

I have a 50mm too but just assumed I'd need a bit of a zoom. Maybe I'll try with the 50 over the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Pick up this book on street photography or borrow it from your local library - its got lots of street photographers work, from masters like Bruce Gilden up to whats happening right now.
    genie_us wrote: »
    Thank you Pete really helpful feedback, much appreciated. I'll have to get braver and lurk around more than the last time! It's such an interesting topic though. What lens would you prefer to use if you're not a fan of the zoom ones? Just out of interest.

pete4130 wrote: »
    Try to move away from the standrard "street" shots most people think are "street shots" These generally include buskers (because they are easy and don't mind their photo being taken),

Pete is right here - forget the buskers. However what you can do is concentrate on the people watching the buskers as they can often provide you with opportunities.
    And yeah, forget the 70-300 and go wide, your photos will give the viewer a sense of being part of the picture.

One from Ballinasloe last year - 16mm on a full frame camera.

B1BAE4A247C14BB8AF605C038A9FFC32-0000320339-0002570304-00750L-DD7E62B4BC0D41FFA3EDDD5842DEAF0F.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

genie_us wrote: »

if your shooting full frame, the 50mm is hard to beat. Small, fast and sharp. If you are on a crop sensor then 35mm (1.8G if your nikon) is pretty much equivelant. They both mean low/less distortion and are pretty sharp. Even if you have a zoom sticking to these focal lengths can work well.

It does take a bit of balls and knowing your camera, lens and kit and being able to get stuck in and pulling back just as quick to capture something is part of it.

Street photography can also be going up and asking people to take their portrait. They don't have to be candids/sneaky shots. See something and go get it. Just shoot it even if you can't/dont' have the chance to focus or expose properly....you still have a chance of capturing a good image even if it might not be technically perfect.....that IS street photography.

Like PullandBang said, get stuck in, get close, go wider and even if you need to stick that camera over people heads and shoot blindly and hope for a good pic, do it!

Advertisement