Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare Jobbridge Watch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭dasium

Isn't there a required ratio of full time employees to interns that has to be maintained?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Nope, under the Jobbridge initiative companies can bring on unlimited 'interns' who work a normal week and have like a fiver added on their dole.

There was a big thread about this on Politics.ie a while back when it first started. I am an IT worker with over 15 years experiences and I have worked for Microsoft, HP, and IBM. I got letters from FAS through the Jobbridge programme with jobs that would fit my criteria. They wanted Network Engineers and System Architects, roles I have worked in the past, to work for free. The requirements were 10+ years experience, college degree, and a list of certs. Again, I have all that but the idea of me working basically for free just really bothered me. I normally contract out for about €350 - €450 a day, that's what persons with the skillset I have makes a day. To have companies basically trying to get us to work for free doing the same top level work to 'add to our CV' is offensive. My CV is brilliant and needs no padding.

It's not just me. There were architects, electrical engineers, archivists, and a long list of other highly skilled professionals who spoke up about this on the aforementioned forums.

This Jobbridge programme will cause more harm than good. Why would any company bring on new staff when they can simply get free staff for the government? If finding work in this economy wasn't hard enough, now we have to add free internships to the list of competition we are fighting against (plus other out of work professionals, recent college grads, and incoming migrant EU citizens).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

CptSternn wrote: »
    Nope, under the Jobbridge initiative companies can bring on unlimited 'interns' who work a normal week and have like a fiver added on their dole.

sorry but thats not the case a company cant hire "unlimited interns"
    http://www.jobbridge.ie/EmployerEligible.aspx
    A friend of mine started an internship and got kept on at the end of it at a fairly decent wage so it can work!
    but some of the positions advertised are taking the piss with some companies just looking for free labour
    Carazy wrote:
    Are these hotels not making enough to pay these people at least the minimum wage
    Doonbeg has lost money every year since it opened it is being subsidised by its parent company Kiawah Island in the U.S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    sorry but thats not the case a company cant hire "unlimited interns"
    http://www.jobbridge.ie/EmployerEligible.aspx
    A friend of mine started an internship and got kept on at the end of it at a fairly decent wage so it can work!
    but some of the positions advertised are taking the piss with some companies just looking for free labour

Doonbeg has lost money every year since it opened it is being subsidised by its parent company Kiawah Island in the U.S.
    Jobbridge can work but Doonbeg taking on 4 ''interns'' for nothing during the summer period raises serious questions regardless of them loosing money or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

schemes like fas and jobbridge suck what could have been a paid job advertised right out of the community,they are a burden to the state and should be shut down,on the principle that they create unemployment,they make unemployment black holes in the job market where there should be payed work filled.
    if a company can turn around and use job bridge as opposed to hire you via the traditional route,and they use this soley as a means to make more margin profit..
    abuse of these schemes is rife,ive been on them and i can say there the biggest waste of time too,people who look at your cv and see jobbridge work for 9 months could easily laugh you out the door..

• Advertisement

Now even Dromoland Castle are in on the gig, a complete joke
    http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DFlyEV1hzRHWPVYco9rMIeOGoMNolArnvnzdXpUh/z+v0bIurRsWHLvXUqNqjFgHwyvQgNVMfcrOfW5KfxRZ29zJE0I02fKhfXpWLIiBQUygwQgdnZiFRNiDwfDN9R6MxPhUk1hT6rihLD7rAZlFZWR5WcUsb1ufOdNEDRwiZb6+yIw3F/vFYZQswU/iwxL25NvMo7Jg9NU7htHLg151fkVmBSXlqRVnd8gHDypn36FIDk45cwQQrm+0+6VTthE7onxtlQvn73Y/kd7Yh1FXZ9fMIRA0aG6Ht4QltI5TOXKCSMvrJyYuDwnH1dii3anP4x5bc3YHRZr/u+8eiehqdjFFqjVVuKwOcXGrExCeDb6/Op762ghJmFmVCdMpHGbh6rxnCZp/vjwZzxeta+5Z46TUQ654VYwacxHUuhmrQ1vDKz9ZJlvlQCQ=
    Receptionist - Junior Position
    Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in Front Office department. Meeting and greeting guests, check in/check out, telephone duties along with organising activities for the guest. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following - one day induction programme following by departmental operational training. On completion the intern will have attained skills in guests care, computer and telephone skills.

Employer
    Dromoland Castle
    Newmarket-on-Fergus
    Co. Clare

Truly scandalous and shocking..REALLY.. I remember seeing those positions as a paid advertised postion a girl i knew used to apply for that job advertised some years back and it was a paid position..

How job bridge changes things in the jobs market,sucking jobs out of the community should be up for discussion in the dail,ive seen schemes like this create unemployment,by taking a job like that you are encouraging them to hog up more of what could be paid jobs,the more popular they get,if you allow them the more unemployment they create..

best thing to do is not sign up if enough people adopt this approach,this scheme will hopefully die a death in front of joan burton minister for creating unemployment..

Ive been on one of these free labour schemes(the fas one),and it took 2-3 ce workers to replace one paid worker,she got pushed out of her job,we were there to replace her..

These schemes arent monitored(i suppose that would cost more money to an already expensive burden),i think it would be best to close these schemes down as we dont need more unemployment in this recession..

Let me clarify my views here -

I think the idea is a good one, HOWEVER I think they need to vet the applicants better.

Some jobs do need interns and an internship is a great way to get experience. That being said if the 'internship' requires a four year college degree and over ten years previous work experiences, it is NOT an internship.

Entry level jobs are also NOT internships. You don't need to work in a chipper or work the till at a supermarket for a year before you get a job there doing just that. Same goes for pretty much all hotel staff. Those jobs in the past have never required years of previous inter experience, and they don't require it today.

If you say wanted to go into graphic design, some form of engineering, the legal profession, or even go into plumbing or a more manual form of employment, then I fully support the scheme.

It's just right now looking at the website there seems to be many companies who are abusing the system and either getting free top level workers or bypassing entry level workers to get free labour and in the process are flooding the already depressed job market with free labour making the current economic situation even worse.

Internships

Job Title Location Salary Date

Technical Writer Assistant

LIMERICK CITY € 19/06/2012

Hair Salon Assistant

Administration Assistant

Purchasing Assistant

LIMERICK CITY € 18/06/2012

Bar Manager

Clinical Therapies Administrator

Trainee Projects Consultant

Sales & Marketing Executive

LIMERICK CITY € 15/06/2012

Photographic Technician

Account Administration Assistant

LIMERICK CITY € 14/06/2012

Map Sales Consultant

Practice Manager Assistant

CLAREVIEW € 13/06/2012

Learning Support Worker

LIMERICK CITY € 13/06/2012

Marketing Executive

LIMERICK CITY € 12/06/2012

Public Relations & Marketing Assistant

LIMERICK CITY € 11/06/2012

Evening Caretaker

ENNIS ROAD AREA € 11/06/2012

Administration/Secretary

Laboratory Technician

Hotel Sales & Marketing Assistant

LIMERICK CITY € 06/06/2012

Marketing & Accounts Administration

LIMERICK CITY € 05/06/2012

Commis Chef

ENNIS ROAD AREA € 01/06/2012

Concierge Assistant

Project Co-Ordinator Limerick Open House Event

LIMERICK CITY € 30/05/2012

CAD Technician

Sales Admin Assistant

GIS Support Person

Human Resources Assistant

Lean Consultant

Technical Support Engineer

DOCK ROAD € 28/05/2012

Assistant Catering Officer

LIMERICK CITY € 28/05/2012

Just copied and pasted off off jobbridge.ie,and half the jobs as you can see (in limerick),from here could very well be paid trainees or employees,gone are those days thanks to that job blocker job bridge..

• Advertisement

Does it take 9 months of internship to sell maps? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

Internships

Job Title Location Salary Date

Technical Writer Assistant

Hair Salon Assistant

Administration Assistant

Purchasing Assistant

Bar Manager

Clinical Therapies Administrator

Trainee Projects Consultant

Sales & Marketing Executive

Photographic Technician

Account Administration Assistant

Map Sales Consultant

Practice Manager Assistant

CLAREVIEW € 13/06/2012

Learning Support Worker

LIMERICK CITY € 13/06/2012

Marketing Executive

LIMERICK CITY € 12/06/2012

Public Relations & Marketing Assistant

LIMERICK CITY € 11/06/2012

Evening Caretaker

Administration/Secretary

Laboratory Technician

Hotel Sales & Marketing Assistant

LIMERICK CITY € 06/06/2012

Marketing & Accounts Administration

LIMERICK CITY € 05/06/2012

Commis Chef

Concierge Assistant

Project Co-Ordinator Limerick Open House Event

CAD Technician

Sales Admin Assistant

GIS Support Person

Human Resources Assistant

Lean Consultant

Technical Support Engineer

DOCK ROAD € 28/05/2012

Assistant Catering Officer

LIMERICK CITY € 28/05/2012

Just copied and pasted off off jobbridge.ie,and half the jobs as you can see (in limerick),from here could very well be paid trainees or employees,gone are those days thanks to that job blocker job bridge..
    complete pisstake in many cases

all those advertised could have been paid jobs,and theres people who say there the best thing to happen to ireland? these schemes create unemployment blackspots anywhere they go,and they seem to target the most vunerable working classes and non working..

joan burton handing out free labour workers to big businesses setting up in ireland?MAD and STUPID in my opinion,ya it is a complete pisstake.

But theres people who will allege youre a waster for not wanting to do free labour,people should only look for paid work and hopefully these schemes will die a death..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭cakeisgood

The jobsbridge scheme can be valuable for gaining experience but I feel that why not pay someone properly if you obviously have a vacancy in the first place? The college I went to has an internship for a Cafe assistant. What a joke! Its just a way for companies to get 9 months cheap labor. The companies pay nothing, the extra fifty euro the participants get comes from social welfare...a system that is already burdened to the maximum

Wigoders Ennis/Ennis Wallpaper and Print in Tesco shopping centre looking for a free worker.
    http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DBt/5CHrKgMTZsATBxDJEmmUnQxVVvLmV8Lq149zVQjzXzN9xXKkqCpNXpCCitWyDLaCRh2IC3ViTwWb7eY6D9ZCaRvk0l6vgj4WUx3h3GOS2zk3pL/vnKD79oVH5nx+kl7/86VDXTKBJ6wTSAqQIWt3SfMnWxIRc5tjxrD44Kw9vT9R9Oao81FmHLISKIVEAM7dDpjbmq0o9U+n2RWDn8WRIp8puRGKHAX9G1l/9x//PgloWLhVULEguGhkHkfL+jMUb6uWLBMFC9WWdN5c9HgUHAwJ0mW6CAD8yc3BUkLWQVGXAdW+Z/vt0mNdL0viKuU2s7vtuUkhH2Fe2Xm2qEx2gBSm6+ygJ6ERSZxS7Bv8eolLeVGIR00huRH7HQVn6xFnOIGtIqyM651dg2NNP8syTO4I0Bk1mqCXcnIT7gfEff6vFMjj2Rw=
    A sales assistant (does it really take 9 months to learn this)
    On completion the intern will have attained skills in selling techniques, preparation of paints and decoration products, they will be able to advise customers on the best product for their needs and have an understanding of working in a retail store.

Another Jobbridge scheme which should not take 9 months to learn and become proficient in...........

Topbike, Ennis
    Bicycles Sales & Repairs Assistant
    The intern will gain practical experience in using the cash register, dealing with customers and repairing bicycles The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following; manual handling, bicycle repairs, customer service the importance and the appearance of the shop appearance. On completion the intern will have attained skills in all aspects of dealing with customers how to work on own initiative how to work under pressure

Link: http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Default.aspx?q=B+fomdowzS8kaDnSlUDk1zaMUPiFEeNrNWjviinu490thmC2C0u+DHjB8k+DW/WZJ8XqVsVDbLsVhfwrWJYu26DEkIGENTlbvWUIrKAaYlF35a0IifCYSLkE5tn5L3Re3x/RN+UdCx8LLfL8xFiI3JHKfuQHwrFcKvuZtbJk5rpfnXd8ic5muUFoiBlOouydifSE405p3yb2zMKx2LK7s0JmKh9wax7A7l69JNSFrIWi8OpAmRpBvNSTAE/JhdQeni30vcLQIabUG076m+81RioY9nv3wPf+EaAFKOoibP2nCvAFmjeLeaAkyIsc6+IaDUuQFN9OH2UiJOyG1BquCOSSEcmdrF9UTIb+Pk7Ht0SlBkc6r0eofNRyJgqvslReOMZF6AEyLitl8T1KUghV6yo75tcYsJzMryREw9vGVeMLazgedIsh7gLq7xEWiNsJSi2O842PECX7sdRmAuB3kyvPkP8O1MWDNXGJDFdApOI=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Taking the pi55

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

Carazy wrote: »

I'm not in anyway linked to that shop, and fine I agree with you that learning how to operate a cash register won't take 9 months, but the bicycle repair part would. Check out the cycling forums, people are always asking where to get experience in bicycle repairs, and the only options are working for free for a shop, or doing an expensive course usually in Dublin. The thing is, when you are on the dole, struggling to pay your mortgage etc, how can you justify paying money to do a course and put yourself up in Dublin, 9 more months on the dole, living at home, while learning the skills for free, with the possibility of gaining full time employment at the end....not too many drawbacks there. I wish people would quit bitching about this scheme, realise that yes it does get abused, but that it is designed for people who have no experience, who want to learn the skills and who are willing to be proactive to try get off the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So do topbike even service bikes or have someone qualified in-store in the first place to teach the newbie?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So do topbike even service bikes or have someone qualified in-store in the first place to teach the newbie?

I have not been to their new shop, but I used their old shop quite a bit, the guy seems to be a cyclist himself, and knows his stuff about bikes. What qualification he has, I don't know, but he seems to have the experience and knowledge to be able to train anyone who is in anyway interested. He always seemed to work on his own in the old shop, fixing bikes in the back, and dealing with customers out front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is this not banner motor factors, or am I thinking of the wrong place?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think its the place next to the old One Mile, next to the petrol station next to the round about.

For what it's worth, I know someone who used to work in Tierney's when he was younger (weekends/evenings/summers) and he reckons it'd take longer than 9 months to get fully trained on all bikes now, it's almost like a car mechanic.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is this not banner motor factors, or am I thinking of the wrong place?

started there, but have moved out the lahinch road, beside the esso station / old one mile inn
    Clareman wrote: »
    I think its the place next to the old One Mile, next to the petrol station next to the round about.

For what it's worth, I know someone who used to work in Tierney's when he was younger (weekends/evenings/summers) and he reckons it'd take longer than 9 months to get fully trained on all bikes now, it's almost like a car mechanic.

I'm sure it would take longer than 9 months, there is a lot involved, and also a lot of different brands all designed slightly differently.

Lynch's Centra (aka Shiels')

Position: Shop Assistant
    Number of Positions: 2
    Duration: 9 months
    Department: Shop Floor

Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in: stock control. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: stock layout, health & safety, stock control and customer service. On completion the intern will have attained skills in: customer / staff liaison and retail.

Please Note:
    This is an Internship. An allowance of €50 per week will be paid in addition to your current Social Welfare payment.See eligibility criteria above

Link: Lynch's Centra Shop Assistant ''Internship''

How to Apply
    Applicants should click on the link below to download the application form. Complete and send by email to: payroll@centralynchs.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

Lynch's Centra (aka Shiels')

Position: Shop Assistant
    Number of Positions: 2
    Duration: 9 months
    Department: Shop Floor

Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in: stock control. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following: stock layout, health & safety, stock control and customer service. On completion the intern will have attained skills in: customer / staff liaison and retail.

Please Note:
    This is an Internship. An allowance of €50 per week will be paid in addition to your current Social Welfare payment.See eligibility criteria above

Link: Lynch's Centra Shop Assistant ''Internship''

How to Apply
    Applicants should click on the link below to download the application form. Complete and send by email to: payroll@centralynchs.com

this makes my blood boil, thats 2 proper jobs for 2 people

An internship for a Builders Labourer!!!!!......really... anyway contact Brian Marrinan Construction Lissycasey.
    http://intern.jobbridge.ie/General Operative/Labourer

Internship for a BARMAN in ths Spinnaker Lahinch
    http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Barman

Kellys Korner looking for a intern to work on the tills and stocking newspapers here
    http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Sales Assistant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

An internship for a Builders Labourer!!!!!......really... anyway contact Brian Marrinan Construction Lissycasey.
    http://intern.jobbridge.ie/General Operative/Labourer

Internship for a BARMAN in ths Spinnaker Lahinch
    http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Barman

Kellys Korner looking for a intern to work on the tills and stocking newspapers here
    http://intern.jobbridge.ie/Sales Assistant

Outrageous behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

How can they get away with it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

golden8 wrote: »
    How can they get away with it!!!

They aren't really getting away with anything, it might seem strange to people in a job but when you've nothing to do you're willing to do stuff for nothing just so you have something to do. Throw in the fact that all 3 positions would be a great thing to have on a CV or a trade to have and they are actually providing a service and I'm sure that the 3 people who get the positions will be delighted.

Advertisement